• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Oracle Link

Smash Master
:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: (depends on if Artwork or ingame look are chosen: Ralph (zelda Oracle of Ages) he used ingame a Sword and similar Animations to link so Echo

Pic again:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I used to support Ashley and as I grew older, it got weird. All Ashley supporters come off as kids and preteens to me for some reason. Captain Syrup is def better and defines Wario's history.
Captain Syrup and Wario Land in general is so underrated. If only Captain Syrup was the Wario rep everyone was rallying behind because she could bring so much more to the table than any Warioware character in my opinion.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My top 10 most wanted first party characters
  1. Bandana Dee
  2. Akira Howard
  3. Midna
  4. Porky Minch
  5. Lip
  6. Adeleine
  7. Skull Kid
  8. Octoling
  9. Isaac
  10. Elma
Honorable Mentions: Krystal, Captain Toad, Dark Matter, Dixie Kong, Saki Amamiya, Sylux, Vaati, Medusa, Rex/Pyra, Sceptile,
I see Bandana Dee, Porky, Skull Kid, Isaac, and Elma on this list. A man of great taste. 🧐

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I remember making a support thread for my most wanted Wario rep:
(Feel free to have a look.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I remember making a support thread for my most wanted Wario rep:
(Feel free to have a look.)
It's sad I'm the only other supporter and person on that thread besides you that has made a post.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I used to support Ashley and as I grew older, it got weird. All Ashley supporters come off as kids and preteens to me for some reason. Captain Syrup is def better and defines Wario's history.
I'm not really a huge Ashley fan, but is that a bad thing?

Things don't get inherently worse just because kids like them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not really a huge Ashley fan, but is that a bad thing?

Things don't get inherently worse just because kids like them.
It's just me specific. Idk. Ashley makes me feel like a pedo.. I stopped supporting Adeleine for this reason. Both are colorful additions, good luck to their supporters. I don't even see them being interesting..

I won't be supporting either addition anymore.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
It's just me specific. Idk. Ashley makes me feel like a pedo.. I stopped supporting Adeleine for this reason. Both are colorful additions, good luck to their supporters. I don't even see them being interesting..

That doesn't seem like much of a reason to go against certain characters.

I don't really want Ashley all that much because I don't think she has much of a niche that needs more emphasis. WarioWare gets plenty of attention compared to the Wario Land series, a series that truly is underserved. So apart from wanting Jimmy T or Mona slightly more for a WarioWare rep, I just don't think Ashley offers much that could be needed.

Adeleine, on the other hand, is someone I've wanted in for years. Not even so much as a fighter, but as an appearance. We've gone so many years without a brief mention of her in Smash, and her game got some of the least attention of all the mainline Kirby games in Ultimate. But it also wouldn't hurt to see a summoner who can draw paintings of other Kirby references as a means of attacking. So I would like to see her join the battle, yet think she more than deserves a reference.

Believe it or not, it's okay to want characters in despite their appearance. What they bring to the table overall should be what matters.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Are Dixie Kong, Elma or Impa the last current Nintendo we're rallying behind? Would love to see a rise in support for Cranky..

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Idk who everyone els is rallying behind but I'm rallying behind bandana dee and toad

dixie and impa would be great though
^ Pretty much these four for me.
They're unironically my four biggest wants.
(Toad or Captain Toad, both are equally hype for me at this point)

Meowth if Pokémon can ever break the advertising latest gen only thing is also up there.

Chibi-Robo would be up there if his series wasn't...ya know...dead.

That said Elma's fine too. My personal biggest want regarding Xenoblade at this point is a Xenoblade Warriors game though. I just think that would be cool.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I wouldn't let the opinions of detractors stop you from supporting a characters regardless what they might think. You supporting Ashley in Smash doesn't make you a pedophile unless you say nasty **** about her or look at hentai of her which I'm sure you don't.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Been on a bit of a Panel de Pon kick again lately and man, it bums me out that the series abandoned its characters and eventually fizzled out before Lip was able to join the roster. As a good look at my profile picture would tell you I'm really into colorful puzzle games and I'm bummed that we've never had a proper character to showcase that kind of game outside of Dr. Mario, who is a clone and... also Mario.

With the presence of Panel de Pon content as early as Melee with Kirby's garbage block transformation and Lip's Stick, not to mention how eerily similar Green Greens is to the aesthetic of Panel de Pon (see: the giant rainbow in the background vs the one Lip traverses on during the game) and the layout of a traditional pvp puzzle game (cmon, falling blocks stacking up on two sides of the stage?) and Lip's mii costume... really makes me think Sakurai has a soft spot for this series.

In general I wish we were able to get a legit "retro" character this game to celebrate one of Nintendo's older or forgotten properties. Ice Climbers, Pit, Duck Hunt... and nothing. I get that there wasn't as much space this time and I feel like Sakurai's priorities were in the right place with the characters who made it onto the base roster. But would have been just even a little cooler to get another weirdo deep cut Nintendo pick among that bunch.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Chibi-Robo would be up there if his series wasn't...ya know...dead.

That said Elma's fine too. My personal biggest want regarding Xenoblade at this point is a Xenoblade Warriors game though. I just think that would be cool.
yeah chibi-robo would be great, if only nintendo hadn't killed him.

probably my mosted wanted 1st party from a series without a rep
fools chibi-robo isnt dead! you cannot kill chibi-robo! he is eternal!!!!

although youre right xenoblade warriors would be awesome

UserKev

Smash Champion
Idk who everyone else is rallying behind but I'm rallying behind bandana dee and toad

dixie and impa would be great though
I forgot about Bandana Dee and Toad, their definitely apart of the last current Nintendo rallies.
I wouldn't let the opinions of detractors stop you from supporting a characters regardless what they might think. You supporting Ashley in Smash doesn't make you a pedophile unless you say nasty **** about her or look at hentai of her which I'm sure you don't.
I wasn't called on it or anything of the like. I just feel weird because I see Ashley as a literal child character and her supporters are for the most.. kids. There are some kid characters I supported like Claus or Porky and it felt.. ok, normal. With Ashley, I felt like I broke a limit or something. I just want to leave it alone.

I'm just isn't interested in Ashley in a general sense, character, moveset she would bring, nothing.. Adeleine would be more interesting.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It would be a PR nightmare for Nintendo to make a paid character a clone of a pre-existing character.
Ah yes, the real reason why the Wii U era was so bad for Nintendo, because Lucas and Roy were DLC. Also, I believe I should post this here:

Basically, if you actually notice patterns, you will see that we've already reached the high point for hype. Considering first parties are no longer hype...

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, the real reason why the Wii U era was so bad for Nintendo, because Lucas and Roy were DLC. Also, I believe I should post this here:

Basically, if you actually notice patterns, you will see that we've already reached the high point for hype. Considering first parties are no longer hype...
Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS and Smash Bros Ultimate are two completely different games. Also, that chart is pretty much nonsense, where're the links to the objective data?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I really hate the whole "first parties aren't hype and should be base game picks" mentality, if it's a new character that's good enough for me for the most part. I don't get why people wouldn't want to pay for impa but would want to pay for ryu hayabusa.
Ironically, Crash, a common prediction, feels like a base game pick to me. I can't imagine Sakurai giving him the kind of moveset DLC fighters tend to have.
Also, that chart is pretty much nonsense, where're the links to the objective data?
Have you not seen the internet, and what SSBU reveals have caused the most positive ****storms? It was E3 and 8/8 for base game, Joker and Hero/Banjo for FP1, and Steve and Sephiroth for FP2. Two per dev cycle.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Have you not seen the internet, and what SSBU reveals have caused the most positive ****storms? It was E3 and 8/8 for base game, Joker and Hero/Banjo for FP1, and Steve and Sephiroth for FP2. Two per dev cycle.
Where are the numbers? the views and share per character reveal video? the comparison of reactions between different fighters being unveiled?

Anybody could make that chart up, it adds nothing substantial to your point because it's an opinionated graph.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is probably on an individual basis but I was most hyped for Simon and Richter Belmont, Dragon Quest Heroes (especially Erdrick and Eight), and Terry Bogard... then I was hyped (but not jumping and screaming for joy, that would be "most hyped") for King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Isabelle, and Sephiroth... but the rest didn't increase my heart rate that much... well, except for Piranha Plant but that was not positive hype, that was negative hype (I was shocked and in disbelief that a generic Mario enemy got in over Toad, especially one that isn't known for walking and jumping).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is probably on an individual basis but I was most hyped for Simon and Richter Belmont, Dragon Quest Heroes (especially Erdrick and Eight), and Terry Bogard... then I was hyped (but not jumping and screaming for joy, that would be "most hyped") for King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Isabelle, and Sephiroth... but the rest didn't increase my heart rate that much... well, except for Piranha Plant but that was not positive hype, that was negative hype (I was shocked and in disbelief that a generic Mario enemy got in over Toad, especially one that isn't known for walking and jumping).
isnt negative hype rage? or disappointment?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel certain we are getting at least one more first-party character in this pass.
I'm still not convinced, but I am pretty convinced that if we do get one... it'd be from Xenoblade. At least that's where my mind is at right now.

Like, even ignoring Sakurai's statements about Rex missing the boat and all that, Xenoblade is a series that Nintendo seems to REALLY care about pushing nowadays and keeping the momentum going from XC2 to establish it as Nintendo's own token JRPG. We already have two big Xenoblade games for Switch, with rumors of an X port circulating as well (nothing concrete, but it makes sense). Xenoblade just checks off a lot of boxes for what would generally be a "profitable" move on Nintendo's part. Popular in its own right and will help establish the series further as one of Nintendo's heavy hitters.

The last couple years haven't provided many options that haven't already been shut down (Ring Fit, Astral Chain) and I'm pretty convinced at this point that if Nintendo is gonna put out another first party as DLC it would likely be to promote something on the Switch once again (seems to be the role of these characters so far). I'd like to be proven wrong and get someone just totally out of left field but I think it's safe to assume that much.

Top Bottom