• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Five DLC Characters

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 174577
So with the last Smash Direct of Ultimate before it's release it was announced that we'd get 5 completely brand new DLC characters with a new stage and music to accompany them. My question to you, my fellow forum go-ers, is who should be the five and what should they bring with them in terms of music and stages? Whether it's what you believe it will be or what you want it to be doesn't matter, I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks.​

Edit: For clarification, and also because I didn't expect this to blow up as much as it did, the intent was for people to essentially come up with their own ideas of what one or all 5 of the fighter packs would include. While listing off the fighters certainly works my intention was listing characters, a stage to accompany them, and a song or two to accompany that. It's certainly optional, but I think it adds more to think about.
Leon Kennedy - a spanish haunted mansion - “Feels Like Summer” by Donald Glover and “Beats Ballet” by Ray Barbee and Mochipet

Green - space (end of Gunstar Heroes) - end song from gunstar heroes and “don’t phunk with my heart” by black eyed peas

Boo - spooky mansion (old school style) and/or haunted kart course - Spooky mario old school mansion music and “74” (composed by toby fox)

Cecil - the mountain where he becomes a new person - final fantasy II title music and terra (FFVI)

The Builder - That home castle in the last level in Dragon Quest Builders - a prolonged scream/yell that lasts the entire match and the sound of ketchup being removed from containers.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
1-Steve. Gonna trust the insiders on this one. I’m personally not interested in the character in any capacity’s. But I do think the moveset and stage have a lot of potential. I personally like realy enjoy Minecraft, so I’m not opposed to the representation. If it opens the door for Banjo next game, I’m super down. I think he’ll go leaps and bounds beyond the hatred that characters like Corrin or Incinroar endure. But it’s imporant to represent recent icons the same as it’s to go after older icons. And as far as icons go, Minecraft isle of the biggest games of all time.

2-Grandblue character. Again, insiders know better. Though I think this is a far wider stretch then Steve just due to being a one unknown. Given that it’s a japanese only mobile game so far, I have a strong feeling this character will be among the final ones revealed. If they are in fact playable. Probably to tie into a switch port of the game, and using said port as the basis of the inevitable English release.

2.5-Bandnna Dee. If we don’t get the grandblue character we are getting him. It depend on just how hard Nintendo wants to push our the fan service, and or how hard they want to appeal to their Japanese fanbase with this dlc. The Japanese pick has gone mostly uncontested thus far, with choices like Ridley and K rool being primarily based on American demand. Again, it depends on being one or the other. I’m confident in all my other picks but these two. Simple reason is that I’m left questioning the future of Kirby games on the switch due to Star allies questionably critical performance.

3-Lloyd Irving. Trekkin may be bigger, but tales of have stronger overall ties to Nintendo. Plus Lloyd is a pretty heavily requested. At least based on the circles I visit. He would buck the swordman trend by using two swords, and the various cool abilities he has to make for a mor inter sting overall moveset. That in conjunction with the music that will come with him makes for a very cool character. Given that tales of vesperia is getting re-relaxed on the switch. I don’t doubt that tales of is gonna be more important on Nintendo platforms given RPG’s r cent strong presence on the platform.

4-Sora. Again, gotta trust the insiders. Contrary to popular belief, Disney is not hard to work with. The kingdom hearts team has apparently pushed for it in the past. And if a choice between Geno and him, they’re going with Sora. Simply because Sora in smash opens the gateway to kingdom hearts games on the switch. Which is far more important to Nintendo than fan service. As painful as that is for me to say. I can only bet on him with confidence because he’s a name that keeps getting thrown around by insiders and the denizens of reset era, which are often reliable.

5-Matthew. Consider this the recent promotion pick/curveball. This comes with the preface that I believe golden sun 4 will be annocued very soon. Possibly in the next direct. I very strongly in that golden sun trademark being significant. This is the only feasible explanation I can foresee as to why Isaac was not made playable. Given Isaac’s overwhelmingly powerful popularity in the ballot, basically being the next huge force after K rool. The only explanation I can come to is if it was known that adding him would be a bad decision in retrospect. And instead, holding off for a character that will be more important later, as Matthew is the current series protagonist, and if GS4 is produced, or is being produced, than he will obviously be the face of said production.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
In the first wave of DLC, I expect:

1. Elma: the absence of XCX content, including music, is weird. Also Sakurai love Xenoblade.
  2. Steve: I'm willing to believe Verge in saying there's Minecraft content. It's also strongly marketable.
  3. Dragon Quest character: I don't think Geno will be the Square Enix character we have heard of. And I don't really believe in Sora, even if I would like him.
  4. Rayman: Nintendo and Ubisoft are buddies
  5. Edelgard: Fire Emblem advertisment
Honorable mention for Bandana Waddle Dee, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright and Banjo.
And hopefully, there will be a second wave later.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
1.Banjo&Kazooie
2.Geno
3.Shantae
4.KOS-MOS
5.Adeleine (Bandanna Dee can suuuck it!)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Time Line #1
  1. Geno/ Dragon Quest Create-A-Hero
  2. Lloyd Irving/ Heihachi/ Mametchi/ Nightmare/ Agumon
  3. Ryu Hayabusa
  4. Impa/ Linkle/ Elma
  5. Katalina/ Sir Daniel Fortesque
Time Line #2
  1. Sora
  2. Banjo Kazooie
  3. Rayman
  4. Crash
  5. Earthworm Jim/ Jazz Jack Rabbit

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think a Three Thrones or Gen 8 Pokemon will happen unless there's a Season 2 for DLC. Remember, these characters were supposedly decided as part of the initial project plan in late 2015, there's no way Sakurai could have really known about either if he outright said Xenoblade 2 and ARMS were announced too late to consider.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
This list is pretty much what I want and what I think could happen in one.

1. Elma
The lack of Xenoblade X content is almost suspicious tbh, and with Rex effectively deconfirmed it makes sense to add elma instead, especially if the DLC fighters were originally intended for the base game.

There's a lot of stage options for Elma, all 5 regions or NLA would make great stages although I'm partial to sylvalum personally cause it's just so pretty

2. Dixie Kong
Her absence is strange as well, she's obviously not suited to be an echo in sakurai's mind hence why she isn't one currently, she's as popular as characters like Krystal and Bomberman are yet she's not an assist trophy, the lack of tropical freeze content is also strange given that the returns stage was cut, making modern DKC pretty much unrepresented rn

Frozen DK Island makes too much sense as a stage

3. Bandana Dee
One of the last few popular choices who is nowhere to be seen, despite having a ****ton of games between smash 4 and ultimate there's no new kirby stage too

There's quite a few stage options, something from star allies is probably most likely but I'd freaking love a Planet Robobot stage cause that games aesthetic is really cool to me

4. Rayman
I'm confused as to why he isn't in yet tbh, Nintendo and Ubisoft have been all buddy-buddy for years and he had trophies in smash 4 after all

While there are more interesting options for stages, a stage based on origins foresty areas is most likely and would be pretty, they'd probably just call it the Glade of Dreams or something

5. Crash Bandicoot
I feel like he'll be the cloud of this game, his inclusion just makes a lot of sense, especially with his revival with the n. sane trilogy, makes sense activison would want to keep that momentum going and what better way to do it than with smash? (and a new game please and thank you)

N. Sanity Beach. Too obvious but makes too much sense.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Considering that it seems quite likely that these 5 characters were chosen alongside the base roster I say:

1) Elma: the lack of XCX content besides a single SKELL spirit is suspicious to say the least, especially when other minor titles got more representation. Also there are no XCX songs on Guar Plains, and (obviously) no XCX stage, all things that would come with an hypothetical DLC pack.

2) Geno or Sora or a Dragon Quest character: I belive in Vergeben about the possibility of a new Square Rep, but I can't say who it will be.

3) Bandana Dee: being a prominent character in the Kirby series he would have been shown already as a AT or a Spirit by now.

4) Rhythm Heaven character: the series is still unrepresented in some meaningful way, and the lack of songs so far is suspicious...

5) Huge TP pick. But TBH I don't really know who it might be after Cloud and Snake...

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Verge not willing to commit to Steve as playable, only Minecraft content of some kind? Makes me think he will not be a unique character, but probably a Mii costume kind of like how the Virtual Fighter costumer and Labo costumes look with their blocky designs.

Pakky

Smash Hero
1-Steve. Gonna trust the insiders on this one. I’m personally not interested in the character in any capacity’s. But I do think the moveset and stage have a lot of potential. I personally like realy enjoy Minecraft, so I’m not opposed to the representation. If it opens the door for Banjo next game, I’m super down. I think he’ll go leaps and bounds beyond the hatred that characters like Corrin or Incinroar endure. But it’s imporant to represent recent icons the same as it’s to go after older icons. And as far as icons go, Minecraft isle of the biggest games of all time.

2-Grandblue character. Again, insiders know better. Though I think this is a far wider stretch then Steve just due to being a one unknown. Given that it’s a japanese only mobile game so far, I have a strong feeling this character will be among the final ones revealed. If they are in fact playable. Probably to tie into a switch port of the game, and using said port as the basis of the inevitable English release.

2.5-Bandnna Dee. If we don’t get the grandblue character we are getting him. It depend on just how hard Nintendo wants to push our the fan service, and or how hard they want to appeal to their Japanese fanbase with this dlc. The Japanese pick has gone mostly uncontested thus far, with choices like Ridley and K rool being primarily based on American demand. Again, it depends on being one or the other. I’m confident in all my other picks but these two. Simple reason is that I’m left questioning the future of Kirby games on the switch due to Star allies questionably critical performance.

3-Lloyd Irving. Trekkin may be bigger, but tales of have stronger overall ties to Nintendo. Plus Lloyd is a pretty heavily requested. At least based on the circles I visit. He would buck the swordman trend by using two swords, and the various cool abilities he has to make for a mor inter sting overall moveset. That in conjunction with the music that will come with him makes for a very cool character. Given that tales of vesperia is getting re-relaxed on the switch. I don’t doubt that tales of is gonna be more important on Nintendo platforms given RPG’s r cent strong presence on the platform.

4-Sora. Again, gotta trust the insiders. Contrary to popular belief, Disney is not hard to work with. The kingdom hearts team has apparently pushed for it in the past. And if a choice between Geno and him, they’re going with Sora. Simply because Sora in smash opens the gateway to kingdom hearts games on the switch. Which is far more important to Nintendo than fan service. As painful as that is for me to say. I can only bet on him with confidence because he’s a name that keeps getting thrown around by insiders and the denizens of reset era, which are often reliable.

5-Matthew. Consider this the recent promotion pick/curveball. This comes with the preface that I believe golden sun 4 will be annocued very soon. Possibly in the next direct. I very strongly in that golden sun trademark being significant. This is the only feasible explanation I can foresee as to why Isaac was not made playable. Given Isaac’s overwhelmingly powerful popularity in the ballot, basically being the next huge force after K rool. The only explanation I can come to is if it was known that adding him would be a bad decision in retrospect. And instead, holding off for a character that will be more important later, as Matthew is the current series protagonist, and if GS4 is produced, or is being produced, than he will obviously be the face of said production.

I'm trying to build a set for her https://smashboards.com/threads/kat...work-in-progress-researchers-welcomed.463297/

Researchers welcomed.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
No particular order.

1. Bandana Dee. Important supporting main character from a big Nintendo franchise, and yet to be deconfirmed in any way.

2. Elma. Basically the same thing, the lack of any XCX representation in any way or form makes her seem likely to me.

3. Geno or DQ hero. Another square rep seems likely whether or not you trust verge.

4. Edelgard. Aka Corrin mk2.

5. Banjo Kazooie. Lack of representation and Nintendo's current friendly state with Microsoft makes this seem very likely to me.

And no Steve because frankly Minecraft music is the opposite of fitting for a game like this. Also screw verge, I don't believe any of his claims.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I see a lot of confirmation bias for characters that have not been shown yet.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Meaning just because it's yet to be seen... Does not mean it's not there.

Not all the mii costumes and spirits have been shown just yet.

This mentality caught every Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid and Black Knight hopeful off guard.

The bandwagoning for unseen characters is cringe.

How about being creative, or having some dreams... And putting down something other then a perceived misconception.

Red pill.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
I posted it in another thread late yesterday night, but here is my prediction that I've settled on:

* Geno would be the Square representative. Barring everything we know from SSB4, we would have to consider the other series; Terra/Black Mage? Both would be good, but Final Fantasy was already covered, and if there's another FF rep, it would be just as limited as Cloud. Dragon Quest? Popular in Japan, but a niche series at best elsewhere (people would no doubt recognize 'a slime draws near', but most know little else). Sora? Remember that DLC plans were likely known back in 2015, and KH3 was a speculated idea for the most part back then; Season 2 would be better if Square knows that Season 1 and the base game sell several copies. Not that confident in Crono either (much as I adore Chrono Trigger). Also, soundtrack would have quite a bit to choose from, helping that composer Yoko Shimomura is also involved with Smash.

* Banjo and Kazooie. Vergeben only said "Minecraft content", and you may have seen that widely-circulated graphic of Japanese votes. If he's in the top ten there, imagine the Western votes. To clarify, of all the not yet confirmed, he's only behind Geno, Magalor and Bandana Dee. And speaking of...

* Bandana Dee. Helping his case is he's loved in the West too. Unfortunately for Magalor, it would make sense for just one Kirby DLC pack for the time being.

* A Namco representative. (Not including echos) Konami has two, Capcom has two, Sega has two, Verg confirms Square will have two, so it makes sense that the series co-developer since 4 get a second. I won't rule out Heihachi, but consider Lloyd more likely and a more welcoming addition.

* I'll go out on a limb here and say a Western character. Most likely Rayman given the friendly interactions between Nintendo and Ubisoft, and the infamous Rayman hoax would help matters. Shantae is also possible, but I will say Rayman.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
No particular order.

1. Bandana Dee. Important supporting main character from a big Nintendo franchise, and yet to be deconfirmed in any way.

2. Elma. Basically the same thing, the lack of any XCX representation in any way or form makes her seem likely to me.

3. Geno or DQ hero. Another square rep seems likely whether or not you trust verge.

4. Edelgard. Aka Corrin mk2.

5. Banjo Kazooie. Lack of representation and Nintendo's current friendly state with Microsoft makes this seem very likely to me.

And no Steve because frankly Minecraft music is the opposite of fitting for a game like this. Also screw verge, I don't believe any of his claims.
Again, Verge only said Minecraft content and can’t confirm a character PushDustIn PushDustIn ought to start a new Source Gaming series called Verge Did not day that

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
15 minutes ago
#295,113

My DLC wish list:
1) Geno. Nothing to see her, next.
2) Trevor Belmont (as kind of a Dr. Mario/Falco/Pichu situation between them and Simon/Richter) His dash attack would use his short kunai knives to swipe at the opponent. His whip would have a fire element to it. It would release a short to mid ranged fire ball at the opponent. It would also burn the opponent if it hits them with the tip of the whip.
3) Tails would be sort of like the pick above. He would hover, tail swipe, toss rings, etc. He'd have Sonic's spind dash and his spring recovery. His tail hover would work like Peach/Daisy's hover but if you press A repeatedly he'd hover higher. His final smash would either turn him into Super Tails and surround him with flickies or would put him inside his Sonic Adventure 2 mech and have him use his mega laser cannon, kind of like Samus' bean cannon.
4) 2B as the next Square/Platinum rep. She'd be a great Bayo-like character. Her final smash would have her call 9S up and have them both mount their air mechs and shoot everyone up/slash them with their melee attacks. Her game is one of the best I've ever played. She's not a likely pick but would be an amazing pick nonetheless.
5) Impossible Pick: Alucard! They reveal the assist trophy to actually be Alucart and reveal Alucard as the next Castlevania rep. His moveset would obviously be based on his extremely versatile moveset in Symphony of the Night. His final Smash would have in transform into his bat form and launch at everyone within range with the fire aura surrounding him. Or he could summon Richter and Maria (or Trevor and Sypha) to do a team move like Shulk/Robin. His counter move would have him wrap his cape around his torso and then use his shield rod/alucard shield on the opponent. His dash attack would obviously be his rapid slash. His shield and shield dodge would involve mist transformation. He'd be able to dash dance and if he does it enough he'll turn into his wolf transformation.

*jkjkjk

5) Raiden! Raiden as the next Metal Gear rep. He'd have a moveset similar to snakes but with more sword-based attacks. He'll be able to counter attacks with his sword and do a witch-time-esque counter. His final smash would involve this. He'd slow-down time and get a few seconds to draw the trajectory of his sword slashes. (Like in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance)

slambros

Smash Ace
What I would want:

1) Geno
2) Elma
3) Helix
4) Lloyd Irving
5) Banjo & Kazooie

What I would expect:

1) Geno
2) Elma
3) out-of-left-field third party
4) out-of-left-field third party
5) Banjo & Kazooie

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Verge not willing to commit to Steve as playable, only Minecraft content of some kind? Makes me think he will not be a unique character, but probably a Mii costume kind of like how the Virtual Fighter costumer and Labo costumes look with their blocky designs.
Well, that's somewhat likely. Also, for the record, Vergeben has never claimed that Steve and Katalina are playable. That is an entirely different leaker that has some association with him.

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Well, that's somewhat likely. Also, for the record, Vergeben has never claimed that Steve and Katalina are playable. That is an entirely different leaker that has some association with him.
If that's the case, maybe Banjo is the playable one, while Steve just gets an AT and stage? It's a stretch, but that'd be my ideal Microsoft representation if they only get one pack. (tho Banjo music on a Minecraft stage would be weird...)

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'll take Banjo with a Minecraft stage over Steve on a Banjo stage any and all days of the week. ^_^;;

Realistically we'll probably get one or two first party characters as a promotion type thing like Corrin (and to a certain extent Bayonetta), but I'm hoping for some third parties, in general order: Banjo, Sora, Tails, 2B, Spyro. I don't think many have a great chance, but Banjo might and I'd love to get the ole dynamic bear and bird duo back on a Nintendo console. (Specifically in Smash, hah.)

I feel like while Minecraft might be one of the best selling games, does Nintendo really need help selling DLC? Like... would more people really buy Minecraft characters over something like Banjo? Most people that buy DLC nowadays are people that have the money to do so, and those people would probably appreciate older classics more. I hope that Sakurai realizes that people like Minecraft and not Steve though, if the decision comes down to whether to include him or not.

But hey, I've already pre-ordered the Fighter Pass and look forward to all 5, regardless of what characters make it. Smash is love, Smash is life.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
tbh I don't think Geno will be in. SE didn't even let Cloud be in the Adventure mode reveal trailer. I feel like Sakurai had to pull a lot of strings in order to even get Cloud back
Square will do what they think is best for business, which could actually make Sora more likely than Geno.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
My guesses based off of the insiders which we ought to be trusting now:

1. Geno

From my understanding, we was not a confirmed spirit, but rather an icon, which is odd if he was not going to be a fighter or AT or have something in the game with him. Verge has been lights out with his Smash leaks, but if you pay attention, he hasn’t been fully accurate, and certainly the co-leakers he has supported have churned out false information (Lolz). Verge likes to keep open back doors for him to fall back on, and his Square talk has the biggest door yet.

I point to Geno for the obvious reasons: his support from fans and Sakurai. He could just be a Mii Costume again, but he could also be playable, and honestly, I am leaning towards the latter. Also in a bit of conspiracy territory, the Piranna Plant is designed off the Super Mario RPG version. Could be a sign.

2. Banjo & Kazooie

Not sure why people are saying Verge said Steve. One of his co-leakers said Steve which matched Verge’s claim of Minecraft content, but Verge himself has been opening those back doors on this one. Again, Verge emphasized content that could be playable. This leads me to believe Steve is a Mii Costume that would be a part of the Banjo DLC pack as an extra. Sakurai did say possibly more with these packs. Couple that with recent information that Verge went against the source that claimed Steve when he said Katalina negotiations fell through. Leads me to think no Steve either.

Now for Banjo: well he is one of the last big requests left along with Geno and Bandana Waddle Dee, and with the way the DLC is being packaged, Banjo seems like a shoe-in. He has support in both the east and west based off of numorous polls and recently won that huge Reddit poll tournament. This leads me to believe he performed exceedingly well during the 2015 ballot, rivaling K Rool.

3. Lloyd

He has the costume and Bandai Namco is making the game. Just seems likely we’ll get another rep from that company and Lloyd seems the most likely candidate
Square will do what they think is best for business, which could actually make Sora more likely than Geno.
Except Square does not own Sora. Sora is a Disney character made by Square.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
My guesses based off of the insiders which we ought to be trusting now:

1. Geno

From my understanding, we was not a confirmed spirit, but rather an icon, which is odd if he was not going to be a fighter or AT or have something in the game with him. Verge has been lights out with his Smash leaks, but if you pay attention, he hasn’t been fully accurate, and certainly the co-leakers he has supported have churned out false information (Lolz). Verge likes to keep open back doors for him to fall back on, and his Square talk has the biggest door yet.

I point to Geno for the obvious reasons: his support from fans and Sakurai. He could just be a Mii Costume again, but he could also be playable, and honestly, I am leaning towards the latter. Also in a bit of conspiracy territory, the Piranna Plant is designed off the Super Mario RPG version. Could be a sign.

2. Banjo & Kazooie

Not sure why people are saying Verge said Steve. One of his co-leakers said Steve which matched Verge’s claim of Minecraft content, but Verge himself has been opening those back doors on this one. Again, Verge emphasized content that could be playable. This leads me to believe Steve is a Mii Costume that would be a part of the Banjo DLC pack as an extra. Sakurai did say possibly more with these packs. Couple that with recent information that Verge went against the source that claimed Steve when he said Katalina negotiations fell through. Leads me to think no Steve either.

Now for Banjo: well he is one of the last big requests left along with Geno and Bandana Waddle Dee, and with the way the DLC is being packaged, Banjo seems like a shoe-in. He has support in both the east and west based off of numorous polls and recently won that huge Reddit poll tournament. This leads me to believe he performed exceedingly well during the 2015 ballot, rivaling K Rool.

3. Lloyd

He has the costume and Bandai Namco is making the game. Just seems likely we’ll get another rep from that company and Lloyd seems the most likely candidate

Except Square does not own Sora. Sora is a Disney character made by Square.
Geno does already have his foot in as a Mii costume if Sora somehow doesnt make it

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
2.5-Bandnna Dee. If we don’t get the grandblue character we are getting him. It depend on just how hard Nintendo wants to push our the fan service, and or how hard they want to appeal to their Japanese fanbase with this dlc. The Japanese pick has gone mostly uncontested thus far, with choices like Ridley and K rool being primarily based on American demand. Again, it depends on being one or the other. I’m confident in all my other picks but these two. Simple reason is that I’m left questioning the future of Kirby games on the switch due to Star allies .
Man I wish this misconception would die already. From MANY japanese fan polls, K. Rool was at the top, as well as when K.Rool was revealed he became #1 trending in Japan (he didn't over here in America), the K.Rool reveal trailer has the most views out of any newcomer trailer worldwide, and also most of the Japanese reaction videos I saw were EXTREMELY positive and they seemed to act more hype for him than the american audience did. I really wish this stupid stigma of "Well K.Rool was created in the West so obviously Japanese fans don't like him" or "DKC is more popular in NA than in Japan by a wide margin" which simply isn't the case. If anything K.Rool was both a Western/Eastern pick, Isabelle, Richter, Incineroar and Piranha Plant are more for the japanese audience then the American one. In fact the ONLY 3 characters that were based primarily in America are Ridley, Dark Samus (becuase Japan doesn't give a **** about the Metroid franchise), and Simon Belmont.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
1. DQ rep/Sora/Geno: Because Vergeben. Hoping for Sora, but only LeakyPandy has specified a DQ rep.
2. Minecraft Steve: Hitogi had leaked this character specifically, and Vergeben is backing him up.
3. Banjo-Kazooie: Papageno's source specifically leaked this character.
4. Katalina: Hitogi had leaked this character specifically, and Vergeben is backing him up.
5. Heihachi/Lloyd Irving: Namco Bandai and Square Enix are the only two present 3rd Parties without a second playable rep. Also worth noting is that their Mii Fighter costumes appear to be MIA.

Worth noting too that the fifth character is the only one that hasn't been leaked by anybody, and as such remains a complete mystery.

But be as it may, here are my personal five wanted newcomers:

1. Sora
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Spyro the Dragon
4. Heihachi
5. Angry Video Game Nerd

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Pack 1:
super Mario RPG:
Geno, Bowser's Keep, 15 songs
Pack 2
Banjo-Kazooie:
Banjo-Kazooie, Spiral Mountain, 13 songs
Pack 3:
Kirby:
Bandana Dee, Megaton Punch Arena, 20 songs
Pack 4:
Mach Rider:
Mach Rider, Mach Rider Road, 5 songs
Pack 5:
Waluigi:
Waluigi, Waluigi Pinball, 10 songs

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
>Granblue
>Dragon Quest
>Minecraft
Good lord these are awful choices! We live in the darkest timeline where these insider clowns end up being right and we have to sit through this absolute garbage they spew out.

Here's my list of choices that you'll probably hate:

1. Sora
2. Joker
3. 2B
4. Rayman
5. Marx

Barbasol

Smash Ace
1. Monster Hunter - Franchise is massive, especially in Japan and tons of support.
2. Rayman - Ubi is a very important partner for big N. Rayman is also pretty highly requested and has a legacy in gaming.
3. Banjo - Polling, planned since Melee, good relationships.
4. Custom Robo/Wars/Etc. - Unrealized Nintendo IP. Probably robo.
5. Dragon Quest - same as monster Hunter. Is a juggernaut in Japan.

Expecting the newcomers to be new franchises and not bulking up existing ones.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
What I'd like:
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Geno
3. Paper Mario
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. A Rhythm Heaven character/Lloyd Irving

What I expect:
1. Monster Hunter
2. Lloyd Irving
3 things that I don't care about. :p

I'm not necessarily opposed to DragonQuest, Minecraft, or Granblue, but none of those choices appeal to me whatsoever.

StormC

Smash Hero
High Tier
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Sora
3. Bandana Dee
4. Heihachi
5. Steve

Mid Tier
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Rayman
3. Dragon Quest character

Low Tier
1. Pokemon Gen 8 character
2. FE Three Houses character
3. Crash Bandicoot

Basically consider my high tier prediction my official prediction, with mid and low in my back pocket just in case.

The only character I got right on my last prediction roster was K. Rool (besides Simon who I put on it post-E3), but I correctly guessed four unique newcomers remaining... so that's something?

Let's see how I do come February 2020.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
2. Minecraft Steve: Hitogi had leaked this character specifically, and Vergeben is backing him up.

4. Katalina: Hitogi had leaked this character specifically, and Vergeben is backing him up.
These two rumors specifically need to die in a fire. Vergeben has only said "Minecraft content" and expressed strong doubt towards anyone who has mentioned anything specific. As for Granblue, Verge also put out a statement shortly after the Direct that there was strong evidence that the negotiations were 1. very early on and 2. ultimately fell through. Vergeben has mentioned that Hitogi has a good track record but is literally the only person saying what they are saying. As the last Direct showed, usually there's a concensus among insiders about these sorts of things so only one person saying certain things is not a good sign.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
These two rumors specifically need to die in a fire. Vergeben has only said "Minecraft content" and expressed strong doubt towards anyone who has mentioned anything specific. As for Granblue, Verge also put out a statement shortly after the Direct that there was strong evidence that the negotiations were 1. very early on and 2. ultimately fell through. Vergeben has mentioned that Hitogi has a good track record but is literally the only person saying what they are saying. As the last Direct showed, usually there's a concensus among insiders about these sorts of things so only one person saying certain things is not a good sign.
Yeah. I tried to tell them this earlier but they wouldn't listen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Plus, Granblue would make zero sense. "But it's popular in Japan!" You can count on a thumb the number of unique characters that got into Smash because of their Japanese exclusive popularity in its 19 year history: Marth. *party blower toot with confetti* Roy was an advertisement for a game that wasn't even out yet and Lucas was a semi clone of Ness and was originally supposed to replace Ness in Melee anyways. Compare this to Smash 4's DLC that was either incredibly iconic, super popular in the Smash fanbase, or both aside from Corrin, an ad for Fates to Western audiences. Compare this to Granblue and its March 2014 Japanese exclusive release.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Plus, Granblue would make zero sense. "But it's popular in Japan!" You can count on a thumb the number of unique characters that got into Smash because of their Japanese exclusive popularity in its 19 year history: Marth. *party blower toot with confetti* Roy was an advertisement for a game that wasn't even out yet and Lucas was a semi clone of Ness and was originally supposed to replace Ness in Melee anyways. Compare this to Smash 4's DLC that was either incredibly iconic, super popular in the Smash fanbase, or both aside from Corrin, an ad for Fates to Western audiences. Compare this to Granblue and its March 2014 Japanese exclusive release.
Yeah. I think that any Granblue Fantasy character getting in Smash is very unlikely.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Never finished my previous post but I am thinking:

1. Geno or Elder DQ rep
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Lloyd
4. Ray Man
5. Not sure

7 or 7

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1094 6225 9234
Rex and Banjo are the only characters I feel like are almost confirmed. Rex because Sakurai wouldn't have focused so much on his costume if he didn't want to include him and Banjo & Kazooie just makes sense as Nintendo and Microsoft have a good relationship right now. Minecraft Steve is probably a more relevant pick but Smash is all about the all-stars.

Other characters I think are possible are my baby boy Bandana Dee, Doom Guy, Lloyd Irving (or a different Namco newcomer like Dig Dug), a Gen 8 Pokemon, Geno, Chorus Kids, a FE Three Houses character, and Joker. Bandana Dee is one of Sakurai's children and the rest just make sense due to relevance or popularity. The nameless FE rep and Gen 8 Pokemon just seem like something Nintendo would pressure the team to add in the game and Namco just seems like it needs another rep.

I would also like to add that I think we will be getting more than one season pass, from a business standpoint it just makes sense.

My predictions/hopes for the Season Pass would probably be:
1. Bandana Dee
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Bandai Namco character
4. Gen 8 Pokemon or FE Three Houses character
5. Rex

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
In no order:

1. Square Rep (Geno, DQIX Hero)
2. Bandana Dee
3. Namco Rep (Lloyd, Heihachi)
4. Elma
5. Microsoft Rep (Banjo, Steve)

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I am very skeptical of DLC characters from franchises that are already represented considering the extra inclusion of both music and a stage. I feel all three honestly will be third party

Edit: all five

Last edited:

Rick4Smash

Smash Rookie
Most likely:
1. Slime (Dragon Quest)
2. Steve (Minecraft)
3. Geno (Super Mario)
4. Waddle-Dee or some Kirby representation (Kirby)
5. Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Possible: Jibyanyan (Yokai-Watch)
Sora (Kingdom hearts)

Remember these are Sakurai's choices, he doesn't care much what people from the outside think, the smash ballots turned out to be fake, and Bayonetta was put in anyways. I'm inclined to believe Rool and Ridley where exceptions and not the rule. If there is a popular character it's more likely to be through the Japanese ballot/popularity than through the American/European/Australian ballot. Also gen 8 pokemon (For the first fighter pass at least) are not feasible, the 5 DLC's started development in 2015, meaning they are already planned. I could see somebody like Jibynyan and Sora having outside chances just strictly due to their massive popularity and hype. Since Sakurai has ties to both Kid Icarus and Kirby, I think it's very likely characters from both series will be DLC at some point. People wishing for Banjo, Isaac, or Rayman are probably going be severely disappointed, unless there is a Fighter Pass 2, (which will probably be dependent on Switch/Ultimate sales heading into the next decade).

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
People are guessing Elma, but Sakurai mentioned they couldn't add Rex in as a fighter as desired. If Elma was planned for the DLC as far back as the base roster planning, would that mean they'd totally be up for having THREE Xenoblade characters, two of which being DLC?

Top Bottom