• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
It would be a good way to reintroduce Selene since she is one of the better designed fairies and her Ohohoho laugh that tends to be pretty popular with characters who have the same thing (i.e. Karin and Freeza).
Now that I think of it...seeing Rosalina and her Lumas interact with Selene would be funny. While I do want PdP to be reintroduced as its own identity first and foremost, later down the line, having the fairies interact with other Nintendo characters would be neat. Maybe a PdP Super Mario crossover later down the line? Lol. Maybe after the most obvious crossover being Puyo Puyo. I see potential in the fairies being strong as crossover material, even out of Smash. But, of course, when I say crossover, I mean an actual crossover with the fairies in person and another franchise, not a basic reskin.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Has there really been any recent games that are rebranded that isn't the Panel de Pon series? Or is it because rebranding a series isn't good practice nowdays?

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Check out these fanarts by a Japanese fan

Has there really been any recent games that are rebranded that isn't the Panel de Pon series? Or is it because rebranding a series isn't good practice nowdays?
Not that I know of. I do know if they do try to reskin these days, it there will be a much bigger uproar from fans than back then because we have easy access to the internet today, and we can easily see what the original version was like.
I mean mere censorships are controversial these days. Imagine if an entire game was changed to cater to the "Western audience."
Plus too much work, don't think modern developers would be willing to do that, and simply choose not to release the game internationally instead.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's some really nice fanart. That's another reason why we need Panepon to come back--so we can have more beautiful, sweet fanart like this.

I highly doubt Panel de Pon will be reskinned if the fairy characters are brought back. Either it'll be released as-is over here, or not at all.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I've been giving the matter some thought, and I've decided that I'd like to make a TV Tropes page for WAリでし channelWD's Panel de Pon Nintendo-hopping adventure video series (I unfortunately can't read Japanese, so I have no idea what the title is supposed to be).
If you do complete the page do tell me
I highly doubt Panel de Pon will be reskinned if the fairy characters are brought back. Either it'll be released as-is over here, or not at all.
If it is it'll be significant for being the only modern game this decade that received a makeover. And Nintendo will (rightfully) be criticised to death for it, and not just from us.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually looking for help on getting started. An actual title would be nice.
Does it need to be catchy? I don't really visit that site so I don't know. Why not something generic like "Panel de Pon x Smash collab video series" or something?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Does it need to be catchy? I don't really visit that site so I don't know. Why not something generic like "Panel de Pon x Smash collab video series" or something?
It would need to be the actual title.

D

Deleted member

Sounds like you're making excuses. As for "my Lip redesign", it's not even Lip at all. It's just a wild design based on the Panel de Pon fairies and I used it as a wild example.
Because you can't refute anything you resort to me saying I'm making "excuses", huh? Also suddenly it's not supposed to be Lip even though you were clearly selling it as a redesign of her? Sounds like you're the one making excuses now.

Doesn't disprove anything I said at all.
Except it actually proved the opposite of what you said, namely that Lip needs a redesign even though she doesn't have a new game coming at all. She's way closer the Ice Climber or Little Mac (Brawl) in that regard. So those two, way more generic characters, didn't get one because no game was coming yep Lip, who is way more unique needs one despite also no game coming... because? Double standard at its finest.

LOL She looks like every magical girl from the 80s. She's not unique at all in her appearance.
Burden of proof is on you then. Show me a character that looks like Lip then if her design is so common. Hell, I'd go so far and say she looks way more unique than your ojou-sama rip-off thanks to the hair alone. And even if, and that's a big if she really looks like a "generic magical girl of the 80s", let me introduce you two way more plain characters, who didn't get a redesign either: Ice Climber (2 guys in a parka) and Ness (cartoony all-American boy). Also Duck Hunt is literally a dog and a duck.

You could say something similar to Pit but that doesn't change that he hasn't been redesigned.
You are really comparing the modernization that Mario got to the huge redesign Pit had? Pit got a drastic overhaul because, again, old NES game with not much to go on, everything about him was changed. Not something that can be said of Mario, hell, ever since the first SMB his design didn't change at all, it was only during the Donkey Kong days where his design wasn't set in stone then. And even then, he had his iconic traits that made Mario Mario. Pit had nothing, he was a generic cartoony angel with nothing to make him stand out.

Technically, the fairies had two games since Furil is so much like Lip that they might as well be the same character (and another reason why Lip should get a redesign because they both look so much the same that even Nintendo can't tell the difference).
Correction, international Nintendo messed up, not NoJ, you know... where Lip is actually coming from and who actually bother to include PdP in collections and such. European Smash 4 also said the Lip's Stick is from Tetris Attack and Ayumi's trophy in Melee wasn't entirely correct either. So you're basing the confusion on... Smash trivia which is notorious for not always being correct? And just because Lip and Furil look similar at first glance doesn't mean they look identical, that's really narrow minded thinking and if anything would mean Furil needs a new design, not Lip.

As for Panel de Pon, it's only in hiatus and people still care about it enough to include it in best Nintendo/videogame lists and felt the need to hack it in their SNES minis. Can't really say the same for Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt.
Only on hiatus? [citation needed].
And quite frankly, what other people do is of no relevance to Nintendo, otherwise we would've gotten a new F-Zero or Wario Land already. And as for your two examples, Ice Climbers simply hasn't aged well, something a lot of people agree on nor do I get how it's relevant at all. And as for Duck Hunt? Educate me how people not including a game that's literally unplayable nowadays has any weight on how much it's liked. Duck Hunt is also very famous and a lot of people have fond memories of it.

Quite frankly, I'm getting the feeling you're just trolling now, so I'll simply stop responding now. Ignoring everything you can't refute while spinning your own narrative as fact. You calling Captain Rainbow Lip a redesign and the later moving the goalpost should've been a red flag already. And now you go so far and say that your Lip redesign isn't supposed to be Lip but something that's merely based on PdP, which doesn't even make sense at all with how you were trying to sell it earlier.

Oh, パネポンスマブラ大乱闘
I think it translate as "Panel de Pon Smash brothers, literally
Small correction:
パネポン = Panepon (short for Panel de Pon)
スマブラ = SumaBra (short for Smash Bros)
大乱闘 = Dairantou (basically Great Fray, Great Fight, etc)
Bascially what I'm getting is that "Smash Bros" and "Dairantou" have their places swapped in the title compared to the actual game title, where Dairantou comes first. Meaning a translation would be closer to "Panel de Pon x Smash Bros great fray). Probably talking about how the crossover there results in a big kerfuffle. Might be a nitpick, but the Japanese love their wordplays and such so I felt like pointing it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Small correction:
Bascially what I'm getting is that "Smash Bros" and "Dairantou" have their places swapped in the title compared to the actual game title, where Dairantou comes first. Meaning a translation would be closer to "Panel de Pon x Smash Bros great fray). Probably talking about how the crossover there results in a big kerfuffle. Might be a nitpick, but the Japanese love their wordplays and such so I felt like pointing it out.
Oh thanks for the correction. My Japanese isn't strong as you can see.
Looking at it closer it does seem to be a word play

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Oh thanks for the correction. My Japanese isn't strong as you can see.
Looking at it closer it does seem to be a word play
Yeah, there's probably a lot of wordplay in that series that doesn't manage to come through in English. I'm pretty sure a solid quarter of what Wario says is supposed to be wordplay; why else would he take a minute to get to the point of his monologues? Heck, there's one or two times where he flat-out interrupts his own monologue to explain the rationale behind the words he just said, and it typically involves syllables/kanji with their own distinct meanings from the whole word or a cavalcade of homonyms. (I probably wouldn’t have picked up on Wario using clever wordplays without those, as, like I said, I can't read Japanese.)

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
Because you can't refute anything you resort to me saying I'm making "excuses", huh? Also suddenly it's not supposed to be Lip even though you were clearly selling it as a redesign of her? Sounds like you're the one making excuses now.

Except it actually proved the opposite of what you said, namely that Lip needs a redesign even though she doesn't have a new game coming at all. She's way closer the Ice Climber or Little Mac (Brawl) in that regard. So those two, way more generic characters, didn't get one because no game was coming yep Lip, who is way more unique needs one despite also no game coming... because? Double standard at its finest.

Burden of proof is on you then. Show me a character that looks like Lip then if her design is so common. Hell, I'd go so far and say she looks way more unique than your ojou-sama rip-off thanks to the hair alone. And even if, and that's a big if she really looks like a "generic magical girl of the 80s", let me introduce you two way more plain characters, who didn't get a redesign either: Ice Climber (2 guys in a parka) and Ness (cartoony all-American boy). Also Duck Hunt is literally a dog and a duck.

You are really comparing the modernization that Mario got to the huge redesign Pit had? Pit got a drastic overhaul because, again, old NES game with not much to go on, everything about him was changed. Not something that can be said of Mario, hell, ever since the first SMB his design didn't change at all, it was only during the Donkey Kong days where his design wasn't set in stone then. And even then, he had his iconic traits that made Mario Mario. Pit had nothing, he was a generic cartoony angel with nothing to make him stand out.

Correction, international Nintendo messed up, not NoJ, you know... where Lip is actually coming from and who actually bother to include PdP in collections and such. European Smash 4 also said the Lip's Stick is from Tetris Attack and Ayumi's trophy in Melee wasn't entirely correct either. So you're basing the confusion on... Smash trivia which is notorious for not always being correct? And just because Lip and Furil look similar at first glance doesn't mean they look identical, that's really narrow minded thinking and if anything would mean Furil needs a new design, not Lip.

Only on hiatus? [citation needed].
And quite frankly, what other people do is of no relevance to Nintendo, otherwise we would've gotten a new F-Zero or Wario Land already. And as for your two examples, Ice Climbers simply hasn't aged well, something a lot of people agree on nor do I get how it's relevant at all. And as for Duck Hunt? Educate me how people not including a game that's literally unplayable nowadays has any weight on how much it's liked. Duck Hunt is also very famous and a lot of people have fond memories of it.

Quite frankly, I'm getting the feeling you're just trolling now, so I'll simply stop responding now. Ignoring everything you can't refute while spinning your own narrative as fact. You calling Captain Rainbow Lip a redesign and the later moving the goalpost should've been a red flag already. And now you go so far and say that your Lip redesign isn't supposed to be Lip but something that's merely based on PdP, which doesn't even make sense at all with how you were trying to sell it earlier.

Small correction:

D

Deleted member

Yeah, pretty sure you're just a troll now who is looking to pick fights for whatever reason and not actually interested in any kind of conversation. Well, sorry to say that won't work with me, just gonna ignore you and move on.

Edit:
To get this somewhat back on topic, what would you guys think of a Furil alt for Lip? Like Olimar has Alph. Personally, I'd love to see both fairy games getting represented like this this. At first I thought it might be confusing due to their similarities, but then I remembered Cloud and to a lesser extend Sonic exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, pretty sure you're just a troll now who is looking to pick fights for whatever reason and not actually interested in any kind of conversation. Well, sorry to say that won't work with me, just gonna ignore you and move on.

Edit:
To get this somewhat back on topic, what would you guys think of a Furil alt for Lip? Like Olimar has Alph. Personally, I'd love to see both fairy games getting represented like this this. At first I thought it might be confusing due to their similarities, but then I remembered Cloud and to a lesser extend Sonic exist.
I hate alternate costumes that are other characters. I think Alph should definitely have been turned into an Echo Fighter, and while I don’t dislike the Koopalings I’d like to be able to use palette swaps for Jr.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Eh...I always thought if Furil were to be included at all, she would be a potential echo fighter of Lip. She could be more agile and while her attacks wouldn’t be as strong as Lip’s, maybe they would come out faster and she’d overall have quicker frame data. I do agree with GoodGrief741 about Alph, I feel like now that echo fighters are a thing, might as well make use of it. (The Koopalings are a different case tho since they essentially CAN be used as alts since, let’s be real, it’s the Koopa Clown Car doing most of the actual fighting.)

EDIT:
I guess I could see Furil as a Lip alt if Sakurai decides to give Lip the Little Mac treatment in terms of alts. What I mean by this is have Lip with 7 alts of her own, then Furil with 7 alts of her own. I say this because the color schemes of the other fairies like Windy, Sherbet, Flare, etc could be a shoo in for Lip’s alt color palettes. The only unfortunate thing about this is that one Fairy would be excluded as a Lip alt since the original Lip color counts as an alt. So if Lip had 7 alts besides her original color scheme she would have Windy, Sherbet, Thiana, Ruby, Elias, Flare, and Neris. Selene would unfortunately not get an alt. I would say give it to Furil, but then Furil would have a missing fairy alt since Selene takes up one of hers.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master

Edit:
LOL You're the one who picked a fight, not me. You're getting overly emotional because I suggested something and you forgot that I changed the subject from being hopeless about Lip. If you wanna be butthurt because I've decided not to continue your argument, be my guest.

As for your Furil idea? No, just no.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like Furil might be a little too similar to Lippy design-wise to justify making her an alt. Especially if they go the route I suggested earlier and have an updated design for Lip that incorporates some elements of Furil's design.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I hate the way Alts are implemented in Smash because guys like Alph is an alternate costume while someone like Dark Pit is an entire character. So until that's fixed I'm kind of against alternate characters in general.
But since it's panel de pon, I support anyway.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
What would your guys’s best case scenario for Lip?

For me, it would be having Lip be the very last reveal for the base roster before launch, (maybe with a Furil echo) and Arle being teased at the very end as the first of many future characters added after release.

I’d die to be able to see Mario and Lip fight Sonic and Arle.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
What would your guys’s best case scenario for Lip?

For me, it would be having Lip be the very last reveal for the base roster before launch, (maybe with a Furil echo) and Arle being teased at the very end as the first of many future characters added after release.

I’d die to be able to see Mario and Lip fight Sonic and Arle.
Late reveal would work, because she's pretty much unknown outside of Japan still.
Retro characters are usually the last to be announced anyway.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Alright I give up. I won't post here again. N. Onymous, remove me from the supporter list.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Alright I give up. I won't post here again. N. Onymous, remove me from the supporter list.
I'm not going to take someone off the supporter list over something as silly as this. I will only do so if someone grows disillusioned enough with Lip herself (not her series or fanbase) to no longer wish to support her in any way. This is final.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not going to take someone off the supporter list over something as silly as this. I will only do so if someone grows disillusioned enough with Lip herself (not her series or fanbase) to no longer wish to support her in any way. This is final.
You might just want to let him go... He doesn’t want to be in, we have to respect that.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Well, we just lost another vocal member. Greeeeat. :facepalm:
Anyway, I just thought that Lip would actually fit so well in Smash along with the rest of the cast.
Yoshi, Pikachu, Isabelle, and Lip as the Puzzle League chars.
Lip and Jigglypuff (Who has a bow alt very similar to Lip’s tbh) as the game’s ‘fairies’. (Watch out Ridley!)
Lip and Daisy as the tomboyish, flower loving ladies.
Lip, Daisy, Pit, Samus, Game and Watch, and Wario as Yokoi’s creations.
If Arle gets in too, we have Mario, Lip, Sonic, and Arle.
Tbh, these things do kinda line up, and if there’s ANYTHING to go off of for Lip being in, it’s this right here. She just fits so many bills.

EDIT:
On another note:

There’s very few franchises left for Lip to go through, and Ultimate is drawing near, I don’t know why, but I’m getting excited.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip's got such a great design that not using it anymore would be a huge waste. You might as well reintroduce people to her via Smash Bros. Lots of people know about this series and it'd be the burst of revitalization Lippy and her franchise desperately need.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
On another note:

There’s very few franchises left for Lip to go through, and Ultimate is drawing near, I don’t know why, but I’m getting excited.
Sweet, another episode. Thanks.
EDIT: Watched it and
That was good, as usual. The quiz show for Pac Man was unexpected but funny. Also that duck...lol

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
By the looks of it, the only series in Smash Lip has yet to go through in this animation series is Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Bayonetta. (Given how Lip has gone through other series in smash 4, I bet she’ll still go through the DLC franchises)
I don’t know about Game and Watch and Wario considering how they have already made an appearance in the series. Although if they did, that could make a 2nd video in November with the last one being a battle between Lip and the big baddie Thanatos, considering how 3 franchises are covered per video. Ultimate releases in December, and with Lip supposedly meeting Arle next year, what could that mean?

(Or this could mean nothing and I’m setting myself up for disappointment...lol.)

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
By the looks of it, the only series in Smash Lip has yet to go through in this animation series is Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Bayonetta. (Given how Lip has gone through other series in smash 4, I bet she’ll still go through the DLC franchises)
I don’t know about Game and Watch and Wario considering how they have already made an appearance in the series. Although if they did, that could make a 2nd video in November with the last one being a battle between Lip and the big baddie Thanatos, considering how 3 franchises are covered per video. Ultimate releases in December, and with Lip supposedly meeting Arle next year, what could that mean?

(Or this could mean nothing and I’m setting myself up for disappointment...lol.)
Don't forget Splatoon and Castlevania, assuming he does include the new ones.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh man, I really hope he does do Castlevania. The cognitive dissonance of a cute, colorful fairy running through a dark, gothic castle fighting mummies, vampires, Death Himself, and He-Man with a whip is too wonderful to pass up.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget Splatoon and Castlevania, assuming he does include the new ones.
Yeah, I guess so.
I wonder how long it takes him to make a vid tho-?
Because if he began making a video for Castlevania before August the 8th then.....hm...

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I guess so.
I wonder how long it takes him to make a vid tho-?
Because if he began making a video for Castlevania before August the 8th then.....hm...
Pretty sure the last one (Arle one) came out shorthly after I joined here, which hasn't even been a month. He works fast.
It just proves how dedicated he is to Lip.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure the last one (Arle one) came out shortly after I joined here, which hasn't even been a month. He works fast.
It just proves how dedicated he is to Lip.
Well, even if I’m overthinking it, I hope it means something for her future. She deserves a better future with fans this dedicated. I would be lying if I said his videos didn’t look like actual PdP game Nintendo would make. Who wouldn’t pay for a PdP puzzle crossover with Smash characters?
(Which could lead to an actual playable appearance.)

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
New idea from my noggin.
What if we got not only Lip, but Thanatos included as her 'rival'? What better way to give PdP a stronger presence than to add not only the potential mascot for the series but the antagonist too?

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
New idea from my noggin.
What if we got not only Lip, but Thanatos included as her 'rival'? What better way to give PdP a stronger presence than to add not only the potential mascot for the series but the antagonist too?
That'd be neat but imagine the backlash from non Panel de Pon fans, screaming how PdP is overrepresented.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
New idea from my noggin.
If you mean as a playable fighter, eh, maybe. That feels like a long stretch to me, tho. If the rumored Spirits mode is anything to go by, I could see him a boss character like Rathalos from Monster Hunter or Dracula from Castlevania.
Most people would still have no idea who he is. Most likely they would make Infinity War jokes because of how similar his name is to ‘Thanos’. That or point out that there is a character named Thanatos in both PdP and Kid Icarus.

That'd be neat but imagine the backlash from non Panel de Pon fans, screaming how PdP is overrepresented.
You mean like FE, another franchise made by the same company as PdP? Lmao. :joyful:

Top Bottom