• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Mario was never intended to be Nintendo’s answer to Arle, tho. Lip was. The similarities between Lip and Arle are there. (Plus, knowing Sakurai’s history with clones, he originally slapped him in there because he’s easy to program, not really because he came from a puzzle title. Lip would be included for a puzzle char tho, since she would be 100% unique.) I never really pitted Lip against Arle, it’s that if they did make it in, it would be more logical to add Lip first. I apologize if my initial comment made it seem like I did tho, I would happily accept both. I don’t think there needs to be a quota, but in the situation where Sakurai did decide to add them both in for a unique puzzle characters, I could see him go about it this way.
Without Dr. Mario, the Puyo Puyo Puzzle Series would of never been made. It was really Compile's answer to Dr. Mario since Sega didn't own the rights to the series when it was first created only starting in the early 2000s.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Arle, it's kinda funny how they even share a shared background if the Wiki link earlier is to be believed and yet are polar opposites at the same time. Both were created for different games (Arle was Madou Monogatari, Lip's unknown) and both were then repurposed as the face of a puzzle game. Though where Puyo went on to become vastly more known than the original RPGs, making people think of her as "that Puyo character", Lip was actually stripped of her game in future sequels.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Arle, it's kinda funny how they even share a shared background if the Wiki link earlier is to be believed and yet are polar opposites at the same time. Both were created for different games (Arle was Madou Monogatari, Lip's unknown) and both were then repurposed as the face of a puzzle game. Though where Puyo went on to become vastly more known than the original RPGs, making people think of her as "that Puyo character", Lip was actually stripped of her game in future sequels.
Yup, which is why I feel Lip should be brought back into relevance before anything else. Lip and Arle deserve to be on equal ground imo, it’s just not fair if one is hitting the big time while the other is laying dormant. Even if the case here was the other way around (Lip being famous, Arle being unknown) I would still feel this way, and support the one in need.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Dr. Mario was never intended to be Nintendo’s answer to Arle, tho. Lip was. The similarities between Lip and Arle are there. (Plus, knowing Sakurai’s history with clones, he originally slapped him in there because he’s easy to program, not really because he came from a puzzle title. Lip would be included for a puzzle char tho, since she would be 100% unique.) I never really pitted Lip against Arle, it’s that if they did make it in, it would be more logical to add Lip first. I apologize if my initial comment made it seem like I did tho, I would happily accept both. I don’t think there needs to be a quota, but in the situation where Sakurai did decide to add them both in for a unique puzzle characters, I could see him go about it this way.
Yup, which is why I feel Lip should be brought back into relevance before anything else. Lip and Arle deserve to be on equal ground imo, it’s just not fair if one is hitting the big time while the other is laying dormant. Even if the case here was the other way around (Lip being famous, Arle being unknown) I would still feel this way, and support the one in need.
All this comparing is just making me want a crossover between Puyo Puyo and Panel de Pon even more. Mashing the games up into a single thing like Puyo Puyo Tetris Fusion Mode would probably be an exercise in madness, though.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Then I'll pick the third option and go with Panel de Pon Lip.
Every classic character gets a redesign and Lip has to get one eventually. That's why she got one in Captain Rainbow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Every classic character gets a redesign and Lip has to get one eventually. That's why she got one in Captain Rainbow.
Every classic character you say? So, how about the Ice Climber? Duck Hunt? They were given a tame modern overhaul to make them fit better with the graphically more powerful hardware, but not something I'd call a redesign. Keep in mind, those are old NES characters with nothing to go on, but a small sprite and crude box artwork. Which is the opposite of Lip, who has clear mugshots, big sprites and quite some official artwork. Not to mention, those two are way more generic looking than someone like Lip, who has a very unique design. Even back in Brawl, Little Mac still used his NES design for his Assist Trophy. Pac-Man wouldn't even have been in the game if Sakurai couldn't use the classic design as he said in an interview. The only character who really got a redesign is Pit (and by extension Palutena) and that can be attributed to there being talks about a Kid Icarus Wii game so they probably already had some designs planned.

And for the record, Captain Rainbow is not a redesign, it's an artstyle change. She still has the big ribbon, long ponytail, orange sweater with puffy sleeves, boots with flowers, etc. Style =/= Design.

Well this topic is better than the last Lip thing you shared. I am pretty curious about a possible modern re-design for the fairy.
I actually tried my hand at making a slightly modernized design of Lip 1-2 years ago. Might still have renders left of it if you're curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
To use a comparison that's been coming up quite a bit in this thread lately, Arle never really got a redesign, just an artstyle change and at most a slightly different hairstyle. Considering most Nintendo series don't really shake up their art styles very much, with a few exceptions like Wind Waker and Days of Ruin (sorry for bringing it up), there's no real reason for Panel de Pon to have to change Lip's character design. It's got a ton of appeal as it is.

At most, I could see them adding a bit more detail but keeping the base design the same, like in this picture I drew a while ago.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Lip should get redesigned for greater appeal.

Uh...no offense...but I think Lip’s fine the way she is. :/
I think just taking Lip’s classic look and updating her hair, dress, and such to be more realistic like the rest of the Smash cast would be good. She doesn’t necessarily need her Captain Rainbow look either.
After thinking a bit tho....maybe adding some more floral themes to her dress wouldn’t hurt tho. Maybe add some small flower emblems near the bottom of her skirt similar to the stars near the bottom of :ultrosalina:dress in Smash.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
The only character who really got a redesign is Pit (and by extension Palutena)
Smash Ultimate Zelda, Smash 4 Zero Suit Samus, and Ridley all say hi. The only reason the classic NES characters didn't get redesigned because they're dead and will most likely not have another game outside of cameos ever again. Characters like Mario, Link, and even Pikachu already got redesigns from their own games. Unless you want to say Panel de Pon is dead and should remain dead, she's getting an update especially since she's relatively unknown and will most likely be unappealing to anyone unfamiliar with her.

Last edited:

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Every classic character you say? So, how about the Ice Climber? Duck Hunt? They were given a tame modern overhaul to make them fit better with the graphically more powerful hardware, but not something I'd call a redesign. Keep in mind, those are old NES characters with nothing to go on, but a small sprite and crude box artwork. Which is the opposite of Lip, who has clear mugshots, big sprites and quite some official artwork. Not to mention, those two are way more generic looking than someone like Lip, who has a very unique design. Even back in Brawl, Little Mac still used his NES design for his Assist Trophy. Pac-Man wouldn't even have been in the game if Sakurai couldn't use the classic design as he said in an interview. The only character who really got a redesign is Pit (and by extension Palutena) and that can be attributed to there being talks about a Kid Icarus Wii game so they probably already had some designs planned.

And for the record, Captain Rainbow is not a redesign, it's an artstyle change. She still has the big ribbon, long ponytail, orange sweater with puffy sleeves, boots with flowers, etc. Style =/= Design.

I actually tried my hand at making a slightly modernized design of Lip 1-2 years ago. Might still have renders left of it if you're curious.
Small correction----After Sakurai redesigned Pit this sparked interest in a new Kid Icarus game on the wii. Initially the team that was suppose to work on the new game were suppose to use the redesign from Brawl as a reference for the visual style of the game but that team ended up going in a direction Nintendo didn't like (not only in terms of visuals but story, tone, etc). Sora ended up working on the new Kid Icarus game for the 3DS later on.

Smash Ultimate Zelda, Smash 4 Zero Suit Samus, and Ridley all say hi. The only reason the classic NES characters didn't get redesigned because they're dead and will most likely not have another game outside of cameos ever again. Characters like Mario, Link, and even Pikachu already got redesigns from their own games. Unless you want to say Panel de Pon is dead and should remain dead, she's getting an update especially since she's relatively unknown and will most likely be unappealing to anyone unfamiliar with her.
Well for one, Zelda's design comes from 2 preexisting Legend of Zelda games; the Smash team didn't make Zelda's design from scratch not making it a redesign. Not sure about Ridley, but I know Zero Suit Samus is more of a Peach, and now Daisy, case where Sakuari ads a few elements and details to the base of a design to make it more unique. Peach doesn't wear rings in her "classic" design and Zero Suit Samus doesn't wear the shoes she wears in Smash 4 and Ultimate. It's just to add more detail to a somewhat basic design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate Zelda, Smash 4 Zero Suit Samus, and Ridley all say hi.
You were the one talking about "classic" characters, but sure, if you wanna move the goalpost, I'll entertain you. All of those you mentioned are false equivalency. Zelda is directly from the "Triforce of the gods" duology, therefore from the actual games. ZSS is a bit more muddy, but all they did was add rocket boosters to her shoes, arguably as a direct result of Other M and the backlash the high heels had gotten there. It was also incorporated into her moveset. And Ridley is somewhat of an agglomeration of various designs he's had over the past, while making him fit for smash due to his proportions. In case you haven't noticed, Smash likes to combine aspects of various iterations of the same character, like Mario having a cape, FLUDD and cappy. And yet, all of them can be very clearly seen as the characters that they are, none of them got a drastic or made up change for Smash. How is any of that relevant to your Lip redesign which drastically alters her look, making her barely recognizable?

The only reason the classic NES characters didn't get redesigned because they're dead and will most likely not have another game outside of cameos ever again.
Funny you mention that, because that's exactly what I brought up with Little Mac. He only got a redesign after he got a game and not for his appearance in Brawl. Sound familiar?

Characters like Mario, Link, and even Pikachu already got redesigns from their own games.
And Lip only has one game, where she has a very unique design, so moot point. Also Mario never had a drastic design change as well, From the beginning he's had his iconic overalls, mustache and hat, which, over time, were just fleshed out. Again, completely different from your design. As for Link, up until BOTW, he's always had the iconic green tunic and hat and was always recognizable as Link. Yes, there always were some rudimentary differences like tights or baggy pants or chainmail when graphics got more evolved, but those were small changes or additions, again, not a complete redesign. Not to mention, it's never the same Link anyway, bar very few examples. As for BOTW, yes, Link got a drastic change there, but that's something that actually goes hand in hand with the drastically different gameplay, so it's not like it was just done for fun, it actually had a purpose. Nintendo even made a huge deal out of this, how this Link... this entire Zelda game differed from the rest, shaking up the formula.

And even Pikachu is still very recognizable as Pikachu. Yes, he got slimmer, but... that's it. The red cheeks, the bolt shaped tail, the black tipped ears, the brown stripes on his back, they are all still there.

Unless you want to say Panel de Pon is dead and should remain dead, she's getting an update especially since she's relatively unknown and will most likely be unappealing to anyone unfamiliar with her.
Panel de Pon, or at least the fairies, are dead right now, no ifs and buts about this. Lip's only game was in 1995 and her only actual cameo (Animal Crossing just had her clothing and didn't even name her) was in the 2007 DS game in Japan only. For the record, that's still newer than the last F-Zero game, which was for the GBA in 2004 and also Japan only. And just because I say the fairies, as of now, are dead doesn't mean I want it to stay like this, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
One thing I’m surprised no one has brought up though is that if Lip were to still miraculously make it into Smash, wouldn’t Sakurai have to redesign the flower stick Lip always holds with her to distinguish it with the Lip’s Stick item? Would the permanent stick Lip always holds be smaller or bigger than that of the item? Or at least have it be closed when it’s not in use unlike the Smash item, which is always open, no matter what? We all know that her flower stick is pretty much her main weapon, so having her fight without it isn’t an option.
(Also, I just thought how surreal it would be to have Lip hold TWO flower sticks. Or have Lip fight Arle in Smash and Arle is holding a Lip’s Stick, just like Lip.)

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I doubt a new Panel de Pon release outside of Japan with the fairies would be called Puzzle League since when they were planning to release the game outside of Japan, the cancelled English Nintendo Puzzle Collection Logo had the name "PANEL DE PON" listed instead of Puzzle League. Unless they really wanted to stick with the name Puzzle League.

In New Leaf, there's obvious reasons they called it Puzzle League despite the Lip outfit appearing in the game. In Welcome Amiibo, the Puzzle League mini game had at least 8 items based off of the series, half of them is Lip's outfit.
FruitPanelCushion.jpg
FruitPanelWall.jpg
FruitPanelUmbrella.jpg
FruitPanelFloor.jpg

I guess it really is debatable on which one can possibly be the series icon. I know a Star Panel would make the most sense which is what Lip's Sitck petals form, but in the NPC Memory Card it uses a Circle Panel as the Save Icon.
83664.png

In Brawl, the Heart Panel is representing the Panel Sticker
Brawl_Sticker_Panel_(Nintendo_Puzzle_Collection).png

And as seen above, the Fruit Cushion Item in New Leaf Welcome Amiibo uses the Heart Panel equivalent since any other Panel designs are still the same colors regardless of design.
I don't think there's anymore to elaborate about what the series can be, and its already been previously discussed in this thread for the case of using a Star or a Flower.

One thing I’m surprised no one has brought up though is that if Lip were to still miraculously make it into Smash, wouldn’t Sakurai have to redesign the flower stick Lip always holds with her to distinguish it with the Lip’s Stick item? Would the permanent stick Lip always holds be smaller or bigger than that of the item? Or at least have it be closed when it’s not in use unlike the Smash item, which is always open, no matter what? We all know that her flower stick is pretty much her main weapon, so having her fight without it isn’t an option.
(Also, I just thought how surreal it would be to have Lip hold TWO flower sticks. Or have Lip fight Arle in Smash and Arle is holding a Lip’s Stick, just like Lip.)
Already mentioned a while ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, as i brought up earlier, here's the old render of a slightly modernized Lip. Actual quality is... not something to write home about as I made that when I was still way less experienced with modeling, but hopefully it should get the idea across:

Her blue elastic was made into a belt, as well as a belt-thingy holding the flowers on her boots. She's also gotten slight heels for a somewhat more feminine look as well as a petticoat (fun fact: which got scrapped in the Brawl import due to the alread high poly count). I basically gave her the Ice Climber treatment, some modernization without changing the fundamental design

Has been brought up in the past. I think general opinion was to have Lip's actual stick be smaller and always closed unless she's using it to differntiate it from the item. Keep in mind, the item is gigantic which would look really odd on Lip, who would be a fair share smaller than Richter.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Just make it a little bit more detailed or higher-poly, or have it closed most of the time, and there should be no issue.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Just make it a little bit more detailed or higher-poly, or have it closed most of the time, and there should be no issue.
Yeah, I was thinking that if it was closed, her smash attacks could involve her thrusting her stick around in a direction, harming the foe, then open up, (kinda like what the Monado does) which causes the flower effect on the opponent, and causes them to go flying.
I still think it would be hilarious to have Lip hold two flower sticks tho. :laugh:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've been giving the matter some thought, and I've decided that I'd like to make a TV Tropes page for WAリでし channelWD's Panel de Pon Nintendo-hopping adventure video series (I unfortunately can't read Japanese, so I have no idea what the title is supposed to be). The page can discuss the tropes covered in the series, such as the blatantly-ripped-directly-from-Google translation work, Cordelia's presence in the intro blatantly assuming that people are familiar with Panel de Pon (since her existence and relationship to Lip were originally supposed to be a plot twist), the Light Jewel existing to facilitate the plot, General Guy causing the problems that drive the plot despite not actually being the story's top-ranking villain, Lip's relentless pursuit of General Guy, Lip being blamed for the trouble General Guy causes, Wario's irrelevant and nonsensical ramblings (which were probably meant to be clever, funny, and possibly chock-full of puns in the original script, but any cleverness failed to cross the language barrier), General Guy's crimes against vehicles, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Thanatos joining forces, Thanatos's presence having some interesting implications regarding how Panel de Pon's finale played out, Marth throwing a tantrum over being ignored, Lip flirting with Popo and pissing Nana off, Ness and Lip fighting over the bathroom, Villager acting like a serial killer, Little Mac's exaggerated stature and ridiculous strength, Mr. Game & Watch's reaction to Wario and Kumatora making a scene in his restaurant, Shulk losing his pants (and Lip freaking out over his "elephant paon"), the title screen changing to reflect each episode, and the frequent nods, references, and metaphorical wink-nudges to the gameplay and plot events of the games featured in the series. I could use some help with things like a proper translation of the Japanese script and which fairy faces which opponents, as well as a proper title to use for the page, but I feel like it could give some much-needed exposure to WAリでし channelWD, Panel de Pon, and Lip.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
You were the one talking about "classic" characters, but sure, if you wanna move the goalpost, I'll entertain you. All of those you mentioned are false equivalency. Zelda is directly from the "Triforce of the gods" duology, therefore from the actual games. ZSS is a bit more muddy, but all they did was add rocket boosters to her shoes, arguably as a direct result of Other M and the backlash the high heels had gotten there. It was also incorporated into her moveset. And Ridley is somewhat of an agglomeration of various designs he's had over the past, while making him fit for smash due to his proportions. In case you haven't noticed, Smash likes to combine aspects of various iterations of the same character, like Mario having a cape, FLUDD and cappy. And yet, all of them can be very clearly seen as the characters that they are, none of them got a drastic or made up change for Smash. How is any of that relevant to your Lip redesign which drastically alters her look, making her barely recognizable?
Sounds like you're making excuses. As for "my Lip redesign", it's not even Lip at all. It's just a wild design based on the Panel de Pon fairies and I used it as a wild example.

Funny you mention that, because that's exactly what I brought up with Little Mac. He only got a redesign after he got a game and not for his appearance in Brawl. Sound familiar?
Doesn't disprove anything I said at all.

And Lip only has one game, where she has a very unique design, so moot point.
LOL She looks like every magical girl from the 80s. She's not unique at all in her appearance.

Also Mario never had a drastic design change as well. From the beginning he's had his iconic overalls, mustache and hat, which, over time, were just fleshed out.....................
You could say something similar to Pit but that doesn't change that he hasn't been redesigned.

Panel de Pon, or at least the fairies, are dead right now, no ifs and buts about this. Lip's only game was in 1995 and her only actual cameo (Animal Crossing just had her clothing and didn't even name her) was in the 2007 DS game in Japan only. For the record, that's still newer than the last F-Zero game, which was for the GBA in 2004 and also Japan only. And just because I say the fairies, as of now, are dead doesn't mean I want it to stay like this, otherwise I wouldn't be here.
Technically, the fairies had two games since Furil is so much like Lip that they might as well be the same character (and another reason why Lip should get a redesign because they both look so much the same that even Nintendo can't tell the difference). As for Panel de Pon, it's only in hiatus and people still care about it enough to include it in best Nintendo/videogame lists and felt the need to hack it in their SNES minis. Can't really say the same for Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip definitely has a unique design among Nintendo characters. And as far as obscure Nintendo heroes go, she has a lot more defenders than someone like Urban Champion.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I've been giving the matter some thought, and I've decided that I'd like to make a TV Tropes page for WAリでし channelWD's Panel de Pon Nintendo-hopping adventure video series (I unfortunately can't read Japanese, so I have no idea what the title is supposed to be). The page can discuss the tropes covered in the series, such as the blatantly-ripped-directly-from-Google translation work, Cordelia's presence in the intro blatantly assuming that people are familiar with Panel de Pon (since her existence and relationship to Lip were originally supposed to be a plot twist), the Light Jewel existing to facilitate the plot, General Guy causing the problems that drive the plot despite not actually being the story's top-ranking villain, Lip's relentless pursuit of General Guy, Lip being blamed for the trouble General Guy causes, Wario's irrelevant and nonsensical ramblings (which were probably meant to be clever, funny, and possibly chock-full of puns in the original script, but any cleverness failed to cross the language barrier), General Guy's crimes against vehicles, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Thanatos joining forces, Thanatos's presence having some interesting implications regarding how Panel de Pon's finale played out, Marth throwing a tantrum over being ignored, Lip flirting with Popo and pissing Nana off, Ness and Lip fighting over the bathroom, Villager acting like a serial killer, Little Mac's exaggerated stature and ridiculous strength, Mr. Game & Watch's reaction to Wario and Kumatora making a scene in his restaurant, Shulk losing his pants (and Lip freaking out over his "elephant paon"), the title screen changing to reflect each episode, and the frequent nods, references, and metaphorical wink-nudges to the gameplay and plot events of the games featured in the series. I could use some help with things like a proper translation of the Japanese script and which fairy faces which opponents, as well as a proper title to use for the page, but I feel like it could give some much-needed exposure to WAリでし channelWD, Panel de Pon, and Lip.
Thanks for the work. I'll be sure to share this later.
Lip definitely has a unique design among Nintendo characters. And as far as obscure Nintendo heroes go, she has a lot more defenders than someone like Urban Champion.
Agreed.
And N onymous, you still haven't followes the Lip campaigning twitter page despite promising you would a few weeks ago...anyways if anyone have suggestions for the page I'll take them. Right now I'm simply trying to tell many people what PdP is and who Lip is.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Thanks for the work. I'll be sure to share this later.
Thanks. ...Wait, share it where?

Agreed.
And N onymous, you still haven't followes the Lip campaigning twitter page despite promising you would a few weeks ago...anyways if anyone have suggestions for the page I'll take them. Right now I'm simply trying to tell many people what PdP is and who Lip is.
Where is the Twitter page? I'll follow it.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I don't know it would be okay to start with an English version first though. I know the English translation in the videos isn't completely accurate, but I still enjoy it anyways.

Sounds like you're making excuses. As for "my Lip redesign", it's not even Lip at all. It's just a wild design based on the Panel de Pon fairies and I used it as a wild example.

Doesn't disprove anything I said at all.

LOL She looks like every magical girl from the 80s. She's not unique at all in her appearance.

You could say something similar to Pit but that doesn't change that he hasn't been redesigned.

Technically, the fairies had two games since Furil is so much like Lip that they might as well be the same character (and another reason why Lip should get a redesign because they both look so much the same that even Nintendo can't tell the difference). As for Panel de Pon, it's only in hiatus and people still care about it enough to include it in best Nintendo/videogame lists and felt the need to hack it in their SNES minis. Can't really say the same for Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt.
When I said people hacked it into the SNES mini, its Tetris Attack not Panel de Pon, No fairies.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don't know it would be okay to start with an English version first though. I know the English translation in the videos isn't completely accurate, but I still enjoy it anyways.

When I said people hacked it into the SNES mini, its Tetris Attack not Panel de Pon, No fairies.
Yeah, I know. Tetris Attack was a cult classic even before Panel de Pon got the attention it got. Even made it in Hardcore Gaming's Top 200 games of all time.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know. Tetris Attack was a cult classic even before Panel de Pon got the attention it got. Even made it in Hardcore Gaming's Top 200 games of all time.
If they were to release Panel de Pon outside of Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of backlash from Nintendo for not re-releasing Tetris Attack. Its because its not the version of the game that people remembered. Its just a build up of what people will want more and more. A lot of people have been waiting for TA to be re-released and they will make the argument that they can rename the game.
Also people don't usually even bring up the fact that Panel de Pon was on the Japanese SNES Classic when they are wondering about the exclusion of Tetris Attack.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Also people don't usually even bring up the fact that Panel de Pon was on the Japanese SNES Classic when they are wondering about the exclusion of Tetris Attack.
I had no idea of this. That explains the desperate hacking for that game. I wondered all this time why we got some dumb Kirby spin-off and not Tetris Attack and now I see it was supposed to be there. That's effed up especially since they can easily pull off a name change with ease or just stick Panel de Pon in and change it to English text (there's not too much of it either). NoA can be really anal to its fans especially Earthbound's.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If they were to release Panel de Pon outside of Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of backlash from Nintendo for not re-releasing Tetris Attack. Its because its not the version of the game that people remembered. Its just a build up of what people will want more and more. A lot of people have been waiting for TA to be re-released and they will make the argument that they can rename the game.
Backlash from Nintendo, or backlash from immature man-kids bawling about Yoshi and nostalgia?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Backlash from Nintendo, or backlash from immature man-kids bawling about Yoshi and nostalgia?
People who wants Panel de Pon to be localized or wants the fairies are the minority of Puzzle League fans who wants Panel de Pon.
Its also literally an argument that people will throw at Nintendo as one of the catalogs of games that they never re-release.
That response can possibly make a new Panel de Pon game but with Yoshi characters but not the fairies because of what they saw.
Though Henk Rogers doesn't want to release this game despite the praise of Tetris Attack, but its because they don't understand or support his view of what this game is referred to. If someone was to take his position, then TA might be re-released.
Any re-releases of a Yoshi version Pdp releases would point towards a no return for the fairies.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
People who wants Panel de Pon to be localized or wants the fairies are the minority of Puzzle League fans who wants Panel de Pon.
Its also literally an argument that people will throw at Nintendo as one of the catalogs of games that they never re-release.
It's not what people in general want per se, but there are many other things Nintendo did that we didn't want but which turned out to be great anyway. Licensing their characters out for Mario + Rabbids, for one, and that's a far more controversial example than just releasing Panel de Pon unedited because the Rabbids were highly divisive in their home series before that point (and, with the possible exception of the named Rabbid characters in that game, they still are). Again, people could really learn to love the fairies.

Also, the Game Boy Tetris Attack was rereleased in Japan for the 3DS VC. There was a stunning lack of doom and gloom back then. Don't be such a pessimist.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is the first time I’ve heard of the existence of Puzzle League fans rather than Panel de Pon fans.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I’m sorry, but I DON’T want another reskin of PdP. No way, no how. Maybe have it as a mini game or reference in a PdP, but....just no. That’s what made Lip fade into obscurity into the first place, no one got to know Lip outside of Japan. Plus, Yoshi already has enough fame as is. As does Pokémon.
And the backlash? Nintendo deals with backlash all the time, the Wii U era was just full of it. I heavily doubt this would cause a detrimental amount of backlash, (Especially if Lip was put into Smash, c’mon daddy Sakurai) because it would still be the same gameplay through and through. Nintendo should stick to original characters never used rather than established characters that already have hit their peak. The fairies need to shine on their own if they are going to have a future. And I know every PdP fan here would say Lip deserves better. Seriously, if NoA pulls another thing like this in this day and age, Im’ma be real upset. Even if they made a Mario Galaxy themed reskin called Rosalina’s Luma League or something like that. Just....no on so many levels.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Even if they made a Mario Galaxy themed reskin called Rosalina’s Luma League or something like that. Just....no on so many levels.
It would be a good way to reintroduce Selene since she is one of the better designed fairies and her Ohohoho laugh that tends to be pretty popular with characters who have the same thing (i.e. Karin and Freeza).

Top Bottom