• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End of Smash Brothers Melee?

Renth

Smash Hero
The talk of Brawl taking over the smash scene is becoming too hastey. Yes it'll be an amazing game, but can you seriously believe all melee tournaments will die once the brawl scene kicks up? A whole new a game whole new beginning sounds great and all. People have spent many years trying to find "perfection" in Melee. For a lot of people they feel they're in need of a change, for others the enjoy things the way they are. I personally believe that there will be no end to melee tournaments, after 5+ years of this game if it hasn't died by now I can't imagine it dying anytime soon.

Pound 3 has announced it's self as the final large melee event, an idea that is completely obsurd in my eyes. Weeks, Months, maybe even years I could easily still see large melee events taking place. It might even become a different kind of community all together, I don't know. I still feel there's parts of Melees meta game that still hasn't been fully acknowledged. The game completely changed over night once the "land fall special" was discovered. (wavedash) Even today we randomly run into new glitches but the majority i'd say 96% of the game glitches and strategys have been discovered.

I've noticed a lot of people see one type of style and have given up trying to be unique. A factor which makes everyone want Brawl just that much more. Look at Falco for example, it's all SHL and d air shines. I'm not saying nobody tries to be unique, but in most cases everyones copycating the pros, because they see it works and want to do well in tournaments as well as they do.

Melee has been the same old game for too long for some people, for others it's just starting. I know a few people who started into the competitive scene, no more than a month or two ago with the mindset of being very good someday. Just from seeing these guys struggle to learn the advanced techniques, further more makes me believe melee isn't going to fade after brawls release.

Before I get flamed let me say this, not everyone thinks this way some people are going to say well no **** of course melees going to go on! Then there will be others that will say it's time for change we need a new game and will leave the melee scene. Please keep in mind these are my opinions based on what i've seen over the years and what i'm still seeing today.

Thank you.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Melee will certainly live on, and I think it will be a major side event at most Brawl tournaments. And anyway, lots of people are afraid that Brawl won't be as good with L Cancelling gone (!!) and Wavedashing as well. Many people fear that brawl won't be as competitive, and then we always have melee to fall back on.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> If you don't attend tournaments, then this topic REALLY doesn't apply to you.

I'd love to keep attending Melee tournaments, but I do believe Pound will be the final BIG BIG one. The Melee competitive scene will probably be proportional to that of the Competitive 64 scene after Melee's release.

=/ Just a theory.
-DD

soap

Smash Hero
melee has a much bigger following than 64 EVER had, so it wont be the same. plus melee side tourneys would be more fun cuz theres no one isai that ***** everyone.

akapseudo

Smash Cadet
i plan to bring a copy of melee to every brawl tourney i go to. theres just no way i could give up on it after all this time.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I"m most likely going to play both. And if brawl ends up being a for fun game playing melee until starcraft 2 lol.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
like some people said, brawl may not be as competitive. for this reason, I believe some people will stick with melee. Take Halo for example. There's a web sight that has a group of people who hate Halo2 but love Halo (personally I can't tell the difference) just because of a stupid combo that's automatic in Halo2 but better in Halo. Some people base there whole strategy on WDing and L-cancelling, so they may stick with Melee.

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure most people will move one to Brawl. It may not have the glitches or the 'techs' but Brawl has more unique character which will allow a more effecient gameplay. There will be those who will play Melee for the 'techs' and some of the characters that wont be in Brawl.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
The talk of Brawl taking over the smash scene is becoming too hastey. Yes it'll be an amazing game, but can you seriously believe all melee tournaments will die once the brawl scene kicks up?
Yes. The Melee scene will become about as microscopic as the 64 scene is right now, no matter if you like it or not :/

Pound 3 has announced it's self as the final large melee event, an idea that is completely obsurd in my eyes. Weeks, Months, maybe even years I could easily still see large melee events taking place.

Large = five people?

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
Brawl won't last as a Torny level game IMO, too much of the strategy has been removed by the looks, I mean auto sweet spotting? come on...

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
I never learned to use glitch type moves so I don't think I would be as good at melee as I might be with brawl, when I watch the video's of people who are highly skilled at melee I just can't move the way they do, with those L cancles and wave dashes.

One of my fears is that there is only just so good you can get at brawl, and in melee the hard to master glitch moves allowed for some extra mastery.

Aesir

Smash Master
Yes. The Melee scene will become about as microscopic as the 64 scene is right now, no matter if you like it or not :/
Do you know this for a fact? if I recall the 64 scene wasn't even that big to begin with.

People still play ST2T ffs, sides brawl my very well suck at a competitive level and just be a for fun game. It's silly to think brawl will replace melee over night.

Top Bottom