• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The downfall of Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
my cousin tells me that shiek is the best character, but i think that any character can be as good as shiek, it just depends on the player

kerploplesteesh

Smash Journeyman
also mookie, correct me if im wrong (its very possible) but the final smash may be like an item. In other words, it can be turned on and off. When the game is released the smash community can decide if they want to implement or not in tournament play.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Haha, this is a ridiculous thread. Are you really complaining over the fact that its an "unbalanced" game *cough* tiers *cough*. And on another note, u said you had had the game for 4 years, yet you just found out like 6 months ago that its unbalanced???? What have you been doing with it for 3 and a half years, certainly not playing it if it took you that long to realize that tiers exist. Listen, as anyone on here can and will tell you, tiers obviously play a part in ssbm, but not NEARLY as much as skill. I would say tiers-10-15% and skill 85-90% (i actually think skill is more than this, but for the sake of giving tiers some credit, i will give them 10-15%). Would you rather this game be similar to Mortal kombat, where everyone has same health, and basically same moveset just with different color/shape projectiles (i know there are some differences, this is just example, dont want a freakin discussion about MK3 or anything)? Some people also have a natural ability to be good at this game, because they were good at ssb64, and understood advanced techs on it. Now yes, the two games are very different, but the basic understanding of advanced tactics, mindgames, edgehog etc. is similar. So these guys might practice half as much as u, with a lower teir character, yet still be much better. Hmm, kinda hurts ur theory on practice. Another note on practice: if you practice against level 1 cpus, or against other people that you are much better than, then this practice is not NEARLY as good as practicing against someone who is decently better than you. Now you dont want to be a noob getting smoked by Ken, but having someone who is decently better than you, and can show you new tactics, is definetly the best person to practice with. So how about you go practice l canceling with ganon, try to learn to ledgehop-> uair (with ganon), learn some advanced techs, and not complain that "sheik is faster". Also, there are many good Bowsers on the site, and a few BEASTS that would pwn you even if you practiced with sheik for a decade. Or just quit the game and go beat off, who cares

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
meh i feel rather odd being attacked for complaining that a fighting game that i've watched and played a few hours and read about as being ridiculously imbalanced...now i would grant that i should not state anything authoritatively having not bothered to become really good at that game...however, as far as i know infinites in that game are not breakable..it's a lot of jockeying for position then one long combo to death...strategy in that game seems to consist of trying to penetrate the opponents defenses by using long combo sets that the opponent can only block while they hope to call one of your moves and hit you before they are forced to block and thereby left blocking for like 15sec before they can jockey for position some more...

however, zero-death combos, while lacking in the more interesting strategy components of smash could still make a decent fighting game...but combine that with overpowered super moves and such..i just can't see that game being worth calling a competitive game...nor do i lack others who agree with me it seems

now if i'm wrong, then educate me...but actually make an argument instead of telling me that since i'm not an expert i should shut up.

it's kind of amusing to me because your basic complaint was that i didn't make any real argument and was just talking like some random n00b..but then you fail to correct me and merely make an authoritative statement of your own.

in the future just explain why i'm wrong...i don't find it particularly hard to concede the point as like you said i am no expert at mvc2.

edit: that's unfair of me..it's not always an infinite to death..but usually one or two a match...and the damage one can get just by spamming with all your char while they are forced to block..i have a hard time believing that it's a good fighting game..it looks horribly imbalanced to say the least and doesn't seem to have very many mind game components..anyways like i said...if you're a fan of the game..explain why

Mithus

Smash Rookie
OH NO THERE ARE SOME USELESS CHARACTERS IN THE GAME.

Hey, I wonder if all the moves in the game are useful? Sheik's Chain?

Shieks chain is VERY useful when sheik has low health if you hold b you can control it and practically become invisible by waving it around and hitting anyone who gets close, not only that but it cancels range attacks so its extremly useful(and fun) to use.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Shieks chain is VERY useful when sheik has low health if you hold b you can control it and practically become invisible by waving it around and hitting anyone who gets close, not only that but it cancels range attacks so its extremly useful(and fun) to use.
health?? HEALTH?? sheiks chain VERY USEFUL?!?!?!? ...have you played at a smash tournament before? (i hope you were being super sarcastic...)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
my cousin tells me that shiek is the best character, but i think that any character can be as good as shiek, it just depends on the player
Completely and totally false

.... Just no

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE sheiks chain, u can even CONTROL it. That means, if you hit the joystick button thing, and twirl it in any direction, then your chain will do that to. You can hit people in front of you, above you, EVEN behind you. Now this move is good, but YOSHIS right (i think you can press left to) and b button move is the best. You can roll around in the egg all you want, and as long as you dont roll of the edge (which i sometimes have trouble doing) you are INVINCIBLE.

People, please atleast PLAY the game, and READ atleast 1 or 2 of the guides on here, before you just leap into a thread, spewing your nonsense so everyone can hate you. Thanks

psicicle

Smash Ace
The default view of many things nowadays is very liberal- I hear so many people saying that all the characters are equal, all races (in RTSes) are equal etc. even when it is not true. Equality doesn't work everywhere everyone!

Seison

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE sheiks chain, u can even CONTROL it. That means, if you hit the joystick button thing, and twirl it in any direction, then your chain will do that to. You can hit people in front of you, above you, EVEN behind you. Now this move is good, but YOSHIS right (i think you can press left to) and b button move is the best. You can roll around in the egg all you want, and as long as you dont roll of the edge (which i sometimes have trouble doing) you are INVINCIBLE.

People, please atleast PLAY the game, and READ atleast 1 or 2 of the guides on here, before you just leap into a thread, spewing your nonsense so everyone can hate you. Thanks
rofl. thanks for this. it made me lole. (hope to god it WAS a joke, for your sake)

as for this topic, I don't feel like re-hashing (<-- spelling?) the same arguments that other people have been making over and over, so i'm just gonna leave it at that. I already expressed my opinion some number of pages ago anyway.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
meh i feel rather odd being attacked for complaining that a fighting game that i've watched and played a few hours and read about as being ridiculously imbalanced...now i would grant that i should not state anything authoritatively having not bothered to become really good at that game...however, as far as i know infinites in that game are not breakable...
You didn't simply complain about MvC2, you totally flamed the game. I can't force you to enjoy a specific game, but don't start to act like an *** and use terms like ''monstrosity'' to describe a game that has a huge fanbase all around the states. That kind of **** got away here because we're on smashboards, but try being that smart on SRK and look at how much praise you'll get...

And one thing that I don't seem to understand is that you seem to have no problems with GGXX, while you have problems with Marvel:

it's a lot of jockeying for position then one long combo to death...strategy in that game seems to consist of trying to penetrate the opponents defenses by using long combo sets that the opponent can only block while they hope to call one of your moves and hit you before they are forced to block and thereby left blocking for like 15sec before they can jockey for position some more...
^^As far as I know, plenty of matchups in Guilty Gear are played exactly like THIS... First a battle for position, if you get a hit, combo or mixup from there. If your opponent guesses right but is caught blocking, then continue from there with a pressure string to increase guard dmg and throw in another mixup after.

I played some GGXX during the #Reload days... and I can say that it is played much more like Marvel than SF or Smash.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lighten up mate..sorry if i annoyed you...

i guess i feel GGXX is much more balanced because the combo strings last less time as well as you can't use multiple characters to make pressure strings go for quite so long. Also, it doesn't seem like GGXX relies on infinites like mvc2.

But anyways, my apologies..it seems my relatively uninformed opinion has offended you..anyways i will head back to the marth forums and stop offending random peeps i guess...adios

HumanIce

Smash Cadet
umm.. yeah.. but sheik isn't really that good for me, its one of my friend's best character..
but I'm a guy that smashes people out of levels manually, lots of people use some weird kirby tricks or fox.. but my best character is Mario.. he does what I want to do.. always when I jump up, and want to smash a guy down when he's getting up to the level, I like to do this forward+A and smash him down.. no other character can do that.. and soo manually.. but I agree that Bowser blows.. he's a very awful character.. also Ice climbers kind of.. and mewtwo was just awful for me, he does so bad movements.. and jigglypuff, I use jigglypuff to beat few events.. but its impossible to play him when you're against friends.. but his down+B smash move rocks..

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
...did anyone else rofl at this?

Nice to see that this topic is still alive and well.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Why is this thread still alive? D:

The original dimwitted poster has disappeared many pages ago, and the topics here have shifted at least 20 times. Make new topics to be closed, dangit!

And I gotta try that funky Yoshi thing. With his egg invincibilitybbqzorz, it would bring my powerlevel OVER 9000!

psicicle

Smash Ace
but I agree that Bowser blows.. he's a very awful character.. also Ice climbers kind of..
Ouch.

Well to counterargue, ICs can be good, well actually very good, at the noob and pro level and inbetween. Noob level: roll behind people and Dsmash

inbetween level: Actually it would be inaccurate and take too long to say. Umm, I'll just say that I can beat lots of people with my ICs who are around my level, at least in terms of tech skill.

Pro: look up some vids I guess

Lixivium

Smash Champion
ok all i saw and all i needed to see was Boswer sucks, well if Bowser sux, than why is it that Gimpy is considered the best Bowser or one of the best Bowsers huh
These two things are not mutually exclusive. You can be good with a bad character, it doesn't change the fact that the character is bad.

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
umm.. yeah.. but sheik isn't really that good for me, its one of my friend's best character..
but I'm a guy that smashes people out of levels manually, lots of people use some weird kirby tricks or fox.. but my best character is Mario.. he does what I want to do.. always when I jump up, and want to smash a guy down when he's getting up to the level, I like to do this forward+A and smash him down.. no other character can do that.. and soo manually.. but I agree that Bowser blows.. he's a very awful character.. also Ice climbers kind of.. and mewtwo was just awful for me, he does so bad movements.. and jigglypuff, I use jigglypuff to beat few events.. but its impossible to play him when you're against friends.. but his down+B smash move rocks..
Wow...

more like most characters in the game can do that

psicicle

Smash Ace
I was going to put up a quote by gimpy but I couldn't since it was locked. Go to the link and you will find

Originally Posted by Gimpyfish62
Bowser is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom