• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Oh my...I think I am starting to love this character.

Previously, I didn't think about the duo, much. He was just the annoying spammy Link substitute for me whenever I faced one on FG, but now that I have played around with him for a while, I see how technical and FUN Duck Hunt is!

The Can is probably one of my favorite moves in the game! It's versitile, yet dangerous. It's skill indexed and just very deep.

Duck Hunt Duo themself are ADORABLE! Ohhhh I wanna take one home with me! The Duck's face especially has me squeeing each match.

So, here is a question for you, guys: Do you feel that Duck Hunt is a character worth maining alongside Lucas?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Oh my...I think I am starting to love this character.

Previously, I didn't think about the duo, much. He was just the annoying spammy Link substitute for me whenever I faced one on FG, but now that I have played around with him for a while, I see how technical and FUN Duck Hunt is!

The Can is probably one of my favorite moves in the game! It's versitile, yet dangerous. It's skill indexed and just very deep.

Duck Hunt Duo themself are ADORABLE! Ohhhh I wanna take one home with me! The Duck's face especially has me squeeing each match.

So, here is a question for you, guys: Do you feel that Duck Hunt is a character worth maining alongside Lucas?
Asking the doggy mains if he is worth maining?

...might get some biased opinions...

Any character is worth maining. Doggy is a good choice, but he'd pretty hard, due to his low KO power and slow recovery. He also has quite the learning curve.

Otherwise, I think he's a great choice and will be one of the best characters once we develop his meta (Low or mid A Tier).

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Asking the doggy mains if he is worth maining?

...might get some biased opinions...

Any character is worth maining. Doggy is a good choice, but he'd pretty hard, due to his low KO power and slow recovery. He also has quite the learning curve.

Otherwise, I think he's a great choice and will be one of the best characters once we develop his meta (Low or mid A Tier).
I think you got me wrong there ^_^

The question wasn't if he'd be worth maining in general, but if he'd be worth maining alongside Lucas.
I's refering to match up coverage, covering weaknesses, etc.

I feel like maining the Duo next to Lucas just feels right (because Boney).
Thanks for the answer, though!

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Depends what you're maining him for. If you're looking to winning tournaments, duck hunt duo is sorely disadvantaged, and from my view, I'd only play him in that context to prove he's capable of standing (sitting?) with the big hitters. He's really very much a 'one mistake and you're out' character.

If you're doing it for fun, go for it! Be sure to use the name Runaway Dog (if it will fit) if you're going for a nice Earthbound reference...

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Hey, guys. I just figured it was about time for me to stop by and say hello, as I am a Duck Hunt main. :awesome:

I'm not a competitive player or anything of that sort, but I really enjoy playing around with this guy.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hey, guys. I just figured it was about time for me to stop by and say hello, as I am a Duck Hunt main. :awesome:

I'm not a competitive player or anything of that sort, but I really enjoy playing around with this guy.
Herro! Nice to meet ya!

-Pat on the face-

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion

Just finished this. It isn't much new to you DHD mains, maybe it is, it's mostly to inform the uninformed. I'm doing a third video soon that gets into the good stuff.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954

Just finished this. It isn't much new to you DHD mains, maybe it is, it's mostly to inform the uninformed. I'm doing a third video soon that gets into the good stuff.
I wasn't aware of the frame one activation of all his projectile moves... Perhaps using clay pigeon is a better option to escape combos instead of Canikazee.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
It's not (the hitbox actually hitting them is somewhat rare, and they can simply destroy the disc without being in range of the debris hitbox), but the sideb thing is worth noting because it's what causes sideb and neutralB to work together so well. The clay pigeon basically has one of the most unique 'hitboxes' I've ever come across. It only activates early on damage taken, and it's able to move the can without inflicting damage on it nor changing its properties.

Last edited:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Do you know how exactly destroying the disc works? I feel like sometimes it'll go through projectiles that usually destroy it. Does it take more damage on the slow arc or something?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Do you know how exactly destroying the disc works? I feel like sometimes it'll go through projectiles that usually destroy it. Does it take more damage on the slow arc or something?
@Spirst made a list about how each projectile interacts with each other when the game came out, somewhere in the stickied threads. Perhaps it's worth retesting the list though to account for soft toss and hard toss pigeons.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't aware of the frame one activation of all his projectile moves... Perhaps using clay pigeon is a better option to escape combos instead of Canikazee.
Clay pigeon doesn't immediately do damage at close range (DHD grab distance) in most cases (it's not clear why) and ill-advised for escaping combo-locks EXCEPT if your can is already deployed (or failed to explode during the initial attempt). I find it only works 'reliably' when trapped by PK fire.

It will only break combo-locks if and only if:
1) The combo locker is level with you
2) They are in your mid-range (about the tip of the uncharged smash A shot) and
3) if you shoot it before it breaks (on their punch)

You'll get something like a 50/50 chance, where-as can will break 95% of the time. The can also appears to work faster, uses fewer frames and will give a good distance. Harmful, but it's so surprising it often ruins a player whose tactics comprise of just combo-locks and jabs.

(If being juggled upwards, deploy the can as they are about to hit you - it spawns at your feet.)

The disc, as I noted in the projectiles thread, appears to be able to resist projectiles when it reaches about half-way in it's arc (it's unclear why: I think it has something to do with it's no damage property on start-up). It's worth noting some projectiles lose power over distance (Mario's fireball for example) where-as frisbee does not. Despite this, I've seen it override Pikachu's lighting bolt, Mario's fireball at point blank to their faces, as well as Samus' homing rockets.

Sometimes, it can even survive Bowser's fire breath (whilst travelling through the fire). So it could even be a sweet/sour hitbox type thing.

Further edit: shooting at it might also affect it. Not sure how (perhaps it's given HP to survive the shots? I know the shots can destroy other projectiles).

Last edited:

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
I'm working on resolving this. There is one advantage to duck hunt duo's lack of launch power, and I'm not sure if anyone here has thought of it (I exploit it in nearly every match to save myself) - you can use the can to interrupt what would otherwise be a guaranteed smash to KO move. I've survived countless mid-air spikes and landing spikes this way (I even survived a wario fart at over 120 this way too). Most people don't do it, because to harm yourself is counter-intuitive, but because DHD has such shoddy launch power, it makes sense to override a fatal, say, Marth spike with a can.

You can get away with it up to somewhere between 155-175 depending on location on stage and DI, but that by itself is crazy.
I realise this is a bit of a late response, but I've been planning to pick up The Dog lately, and feel like this can-to-survive thing is pretty important.
Unfortunately I'm not sure how to pull this off, when to use the can and such, are there any videos or guides out there explaining this?
It's a bit confusing to me since you mentioned you survived a Wario fart at high %, I believe you would have to have predicted this to happen to react with the can to save yourself (correct me if I'm wrong), so couldn't you have done something like airdodge or block if you were on the ground?

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I realise this is a bit of a late response, but I've been planning to pick up The Dog lately, and feel like this can-to-survive thing is pretty important.
Unfortunately I'm not sure how to pull this off, when to use the can and such, are there any videos or guides out there explaining this?
It's a bit confusing to me since you mentioned you survived a Wario fart at high %, I believe you would have to have predicted this to happen to react with the can to save yourself (correct me if I'm wrong), so couldn't you have done something like airdodge or block if you were on the ground?
Ok, cool! Nice to see you thinking about picking up the d-d-d-duo.

Anytime I get away with blowing myself up to survive, it's usually offstage and it's usually if the opponent is coming off with me and I'm anticipating the back-air or fair. I really only use it if I'm sure what move they're gonna do next and even then, it can be pretty situational. Like, 70% of the time, I think it'll work. It's risky.

The can comes out pretty much immediately, so be prepared to DI accordingly. The can explosion will send you in the direction that you kicked the can in, so once you have that in your head (for the DI) you can survive to much higher percentages than you probably should be.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
WorstMuppet made a great response, but there's a couple of other scenarios (I'll see if I can make a demo video for the first). You'll know you've done a CTS when you get a red/black lightning bolt appear just before the can impacts - classically, your direction will be diagonally up.

With the Wario fart, it was deployed on point - a luck shot, to be fair (but the key is to get it out there so it has a chance to save you) - his fart sent me into the mid-air can, which interrupted the fatal finish (the fart has AoE so it triggers/arms the can, which I then flew into).

WorstMuppet has covered canikaze on down-air and forward smashes (think unshieldable moves like Marth's shield breaker too - but be quick, because the attacks can also deflect the can).

The other way is with a short fall in up-B: when someone is camping the edge and your up-B isn't likely to make it - if the person on the ledge 'hits' the can, it becomes 'active' (that is, it will explode if it hits something - anything. That includes you. Normally it has a safeguard when unhit), which means if you purposefully fall into your own can, your up-B resets. Note, your can will harm teammates when it explodes (timed or opponent hit) - so it can be used to aid them as well.

There is another way that seems to involve wall rebounds but I haven't investigated it much (seems like a wall hit arms the can or something?). But if you know you're going to be short (due to some serious edge guarding) deploy the can early and shoot it like crazy so it becomes timed-active and self harm (up-B) into it for a knocked-back up-B reset.

I've KO'd so many down airs with a wall rebounding can it's not funny (classically it will explode you upwards, and them down diagonally). Note this only works on stages with walls for edges - angled edges are a different matter and are dangerous, see this post.

CTS works best at low percent - moves like Ganon's punch (which have super armour and KOs at about 60%) or Little Mac's punch (again, super armour 60-80%) will classically be interrupted by a can where a shield (punch done whilst in air) or dodge (waits out the dodge) are ineffective. Just be wary of overrelying on CTS on dealing with downairs that can be easily dodged as the can has a slight chance of not triggering (if the attack hits the can it will 'deflect' and has a possibility of deflecting away whilst you go down). Best odds for CTS is when intersecting their hurtbox.

Edit: Further note, even if is CTS will be fatal, chances are their move would be - so instead of surviving, you just chip some additional damage for your next stock in trade-off for the shame of killing yourself.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp
IMHIP is using DH at Paragon Stream against Mr. R.
Top 16 winners, let's see how he manages.
:196:
I think ImHip did an excellent job vs Mr.R and I think we should all take a few notes from what he did.
1. Hops and Rolls: ImHip, in the neutral game moved around using dashes and short to full hops mostly instead of rolling on flat stages. On stages with platforms he rolled a lot more because of the platforms' protection. Using a lot more hops helped his mobility.
2. One of the most important things I picked up was the use of the can as a defensive option. I never looked at it like that, but using the can this way limited Mr.R from approaching and most of the damage he tacked onto ImHip was when the can was not present.

The only thing I wished ImHip would have done was to use the can as defense along with the gunmen as defense. Once Mr.R saw that he no longer had to approach because of Sheik's needles, ImHip could have used the gunmen from a pretty far distance to shield the needles. If you stay a little less than half a final destination's distance from Sheik, you can guard against the needles and deal damage (most of the time).

Overall I liked this set a lot, great job ImHip. And that popoff !!

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
WorstMuppet made a great response, but there's a couple of other scenarios (I'll see if I can make a demo video for the first). You'll know you've done a CTS when you get a red/black lightning bolt appear just before the can impacts - classically, your direction will be diagonally up.

With the Wario fart, it was deployed on point - a luck shot, to be fair (but the key is to get it out there so it has a chance to save you) - his fart sent me into the mid-air can, which interrupted the fatal finish (the fart has AoE so it triggers/arms the can, which I then flew into).

WorstMuppet has covered canikaze on down-air and forward smashes (think unshieldable moves like Marth's shield breaker too - but be quick, because the attacks can also deflect the can).

The other way is with a short fall in up-B: when someone is camping the edge and your up-B isn't likely to make it - if the person on the ledge 'hits' the can, it becomes 'active' (that is, it will explode if it hits something - anything. That includes you. Normally it has a safeguard when unhit), which means if you purposefully fall into your own can, your up-B resets. Note, your can will harm teammates when it explodes (timed or opponent hit) - so it can be used to aid them as well.

There is another way that seems to involve wall rebounds but I haven't investigated it much (seems like a wall hit arms the can or something?). But if you know you're going to be short (due to some serious edge guarding) deploy the can early and shoot it like crazy so it becomes timed-active and self harm (up-B) into it for a knocked-back up-B reset.

I've KO'd so many down airs with a wall rebounding can it's not funny (classically it will explode you upwards, and them down diagonally). Note this only works on stages with walls for edges - angled edges are a different matter and are dangerous, see this post.

CTS works best at low percent - moves like Ganon's punch (which have super armour and KOs at about 60%) or Little Mac's punch (again, super armour 60-80%) will classically be interrupted by a can where a shield (punch done whilst in air) or dodge (waits out the dodge) are ineffective. Just be wary of overrelying on CTS on dealing with downairs that can be easily dodged as the can has a slight chance of not triggering (if the attack hits the can it will 'deflect' and has a possibility of deflecting away whilst you go down). Best odds for CTS is when intersecting their hurtbox.

Edit: Further note, even if is CTS will be fatal, chances are their move would be - so instead of surviving, you just chip some additional damage for your next stock in trade-off for the shame of killing yourself.
I see, thank you both for responding, although I do have to admit that a demo video would help (and be much appreciated), this did clarify quite a bit.
Honestly makes me more interested in playing him, I've been having fun with him so far.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I got several replays but they're too long to upload as a video, and I don't have any video software for the task. : /

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Maybe it'd be possible to add you on Wii U, so that you could send me directly. (if that's not too much work or against the rules to discuss here)

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it'd be possible to add you on Wii U, so that you could send me directly. (if that's not too much work or against the rules to discuss here)
Sure. Add: TheUnderdawg

In the Mario replay, it happens at about 3:31. It lets me survive a fast forward smash KO at roughly 100% damage allowing me to live until 159% where a back air's failure to connect leaves me vulnerable and I get KO'd.

So at a tournament yesterday i survived a Judgment 9 with a can.

So...uh..keep that in mind.
That's an excellent usage.

Not sure if it works on Little Mac's KO, but I've had it where he 'KO'd' the can instead and I roll dodged behind him.

Be wary this doesn't become a main pivot tactic: at the moment it's a way to turn Nintendo's dog abuse regarding weak launches to our advantage. I was originally in favour of launch power increase, but actually this gives us a major survivability advantage - it makes every move require at least 120 or more to KO depending on position.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Mr R just kind of woke up and realized "what am I doing, I should probably win".

imhip did a good job, but I didn't see much out of him that impressed me. Mr R was just allowing him to take out cans for free, jumping around and respecting him when he didn't need to, until game 3. There wasn't enough done there. It seemed like pocket DHD wasn't doing it.

Last edited:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Are those vids up somewhere? I didn't get to watch the stream.

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Sure. Add: TheUnderdawg

In the Mario replay, it happens at about 3:31. It lets me survive a fast forward smash KO at roughly 100% damage allowing me to live until 159% where a back air's failure to connect leaves me vulnerable and I get KO'd.

That's an excellent usage.

Not sure if it works on Little Mac's KO, but I've had it where he 'KO'd' the can instead and I roll dodged behind him.

Be wary this doesn't become a main pivot tactic: at the moment it's a way to turn Nintendo's dog abuse regarding weak launches to our advantage. I was originally in favour of launch power increase, but actually this gives us a major survivability advantage - it makes every move require at least 120 or more to KO depending on position.
Added, if you have any other replays with a scenario like this, it'd be appreciated if you'd send those my way as well.
I'd say I'm only an average player (I can hold my own in for glory easily but that's obviously not saying much).
That said, I'm sure I could learn something from the replays anyway.
Thanks in advance.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954

eagle_master

Smash Cadet
NNID
roustik
3DS FC
2852-7293-3760
Hey everyone, I am the new dog in town! They are one of my 3 mains but they are the most fun to play as. :chuckle: I started playing them a month ago and at first I was out of breath after only 3 matchs in for glory but now I can play him for a whole day!

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
After playing around with the Dog a bit more, I'm getting into the habit of using the can more often, it really works.
I find using dash attack on the can, followed by shooting it at the right time so it lands right on top of them to be a very effective method to use the can offensively, it can be hard to time but unless you spam it, they never expect it, especially when you put something like a gunman out there to distract them even more.
It's also funny to see how some players make it their priority to get the can out of the screen when you put it out there, so even if you don't do anything with it, it still has a function, as a distraction.
I really do enjoy playing them so far and am certain to main them now.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
After playing around with the Dog a bit more, I'm getting into the habit of using the can more often, it really works.
I find using dash attack on the can, followed by shooting it at the right time so it lands right on top of them to be a very effective method to use the can offensively, it can be hard to time but unless you spam it, they never expect it, especially when you put something like a gunman out there to distract them even more.
It's also funny to see how some players make it their priority to get the can out of the screen when you put it out there, so even if you don't do anything with it, it still has a function, as a distraction.
I really do enjoy playing them so far and am certain to main them now.
The distraction technique works with gunmen as well - even if the gunman is accidentally facing the wrong way (think of it as a way to trick reflect users). It foils homing attacks (Sheik, Samus, Sonic, Paluenta), and it appears can and frisbee do something similar. People will often beat up the gunman, which given he has a 10 second delay after being 'killed' (compared to immediate return after disappearing) seems counter-productive, but it's great for delaying multi-hit attacks (like Kirby's down air, or Metaknight's drill attacks) that would otherwise finish quickly, which leaves them vulnerable.

The can is what I call a 'traitor' - it can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on circumstances. Be wary of smarter players who try to hit the can back at you - easiest way to deal is to shoot it at roughly the time they go to hit it. Done right, it will bounce and it will explode as they go to attack. However, even if it doesn't explode, the fact it doesn't even move far can throw players. Sometimes the can is at low health so when they go to attack it a second time, it explodes.

Another place for distraction is foiling ledge recoveries. Because anyone with an ounce of sense air dodges the can, there's two ways to deal:

1) Time it so they have to air dodge the can where you're in range to up air them to KO (you can replace up air with back air, forward air, dash attack or even a smash attack depending on timing. If they're low percent, I usually make sure a gunman is ready to catch them for further juggles).
2) Drop the can near parallel to their fall vector (which means as soon as the dodge ends they'll be intersecting and boom). This only really works if they're falling away from you, but it can also catch big characters who fall towards. Be sure to resist the urge to re-shoot the can.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
So you know how when we recover we sometimes throw the can to the ledge? Its good to use to get the other player away but I found something else to do. You guys probably have done this but... I like to throw a can while in the air and when I Up B I press B to have the can's hitboxes on me so the other player can not hit me.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
So you know how when we recover we sometimes throw the can to the ledge? Its good to use to get the other player away but I found something else to do. You guys probably have done this but... I like to throw a can while in the air and when I Up B I press B to have the can's hitboxes on me so the other player can not hit me.
That is an excellent strategy. To add to this on an unrelated note, when next to the can, normally it will cause DHD to 'hide' (why Nintendo keeps giving DHD vulnerabilities I don't know), but if you jump when doing it, it doesn't occur.

But maybe we could build on this. Perhaps have a can protect a forward air assault on a target? Tricky but it'd make another player's life difficult.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That's more or less what Snake used to do in Brawl.
When idling if a Grenade exploded next to him he would flinch and cover his ears, but doing anything else would prevent this animation.
A weird mechanic.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Found another Doggy main on FG.

...but he taunted me. While I was playing my new Wario.

So I had to show him whose was the Alpha Female. Beat him in Doggy dittos easy, as well as his secondaries.

This is why you don't taunt against people you don't know: They might get their actual main... And try

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Found another Doggy main on FG.

...but he taunted me. While I was playing my new Wario.

So I had to show him whose was the Alpha Female. Beat him in Doggy dittos easy, as well as his secondaries.

This is why you don't taunt against people you don't know: They might get their actual main... And try
It's funny you say this, because last night I was using random characters on For Glory to diversify my experience, and of course players beat me, but some opted to start teabagging (was that even necessary?), so naturally I rolled out duck hunt duo, then they clicked why my name was 'Underdog'...

...Cue several ragequitting opponents later...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I crouch a lot before my opponent respawns, but I never mean it as teabagging...
Also, I have never seen "taunts" as a bad thing, mostly because in my language they aren't even called "taunts" but something closer to "celebrations".
I guess is a personal thing.

Also also, how can you guys even Duckhunt on FG? He's so annoying to use...

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I crouch a lot before my opponent respawns, but I never mean it as teabagging...
Also, I have never seen "taunts" as a bad thing, mostly because in my language they aren't even called "taunts" but something closer to "celebrations".

I stopped playing FG.

The second someone sees a Duck Hunt they will hate you. I just play Smashladder.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice

The whole multi-crouch thing looks like teabagging often seen in FPS games like CoD. I personally think it's about as insulting as the player can get (I don't mind in-game characters taunts so much because it's a thing... teabagging is just that extra mile of asshattery). I will do it back if they do it to me, but that's frustrating.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'annoying to use'? Annoying to us or others?

To me, DHD isn't annoying. What is annoying is Nintendo's hatchet job (the 1.1.0 roll dodge protection time is as if it doesn't exist, and air dodging is almost the same), that unfixed slide glitch and the whole 'Nintendo's favourites have almost no end lag' where you have to insert one move in a sea of near-unbreakable moves (I suffered toon link that alternated between boomerangs and bombs - seriously, the sword was optional - and the lack of end lag or self-harming bombs made it nigh unpunishable). It's like they forgot duck hunt was a NES launch title...

Aside from that, I don't want a top-tier character that has stat advantages, because to me that indicates there's less skill. I want the disadvantaged character (so I can fight... for the underdog). If I'm beating a Sheik or a Falcon or a Sonic, that tells me I've got more skills, because I have to predict and compensate for so many issues.

Using DHD, I've been forced to learn how to not only read my opponent, but predict his trajectories sufficiently enough I know if he's going to Falco feign on, or do a Falcon Kick landing, and be able to know if it's possible to punish with a forward smash A or can.

A lot of players have made the mistake of seeing me just sitting on the ledge, not doing anything and I'm not a threat... only for me to roll dodge back and forward smash A Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick into a KO.

I like the challenge. But the unfairness of Nintendo stresses me greatly...

Top Bottom