• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Before I go to sleep here's a little something I made on Miiverse..

Goodnight, you guys.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Using the textures that were released today, I decided to make this for my favorite newcomer!

Spent a while on this, so hope you guys like it!

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Oh yes, finally we get our subforum icon! And it looks lovely as well.

btw, random thing I noticed when doing some practise room before bed - the dog only has four attacks. Jab, jab-jab, jab-jab-jab and nair. The rest are either the duck hitting or the guy shooting (like smashes).

My favourite animation is dair where the dog just slams the duck below him, lmao.

andimidna

Smash Master
After seeing what he can do, and seeing that he has an icon now...
I'm just going to slip him into my list of mains in my sig ;P

Felt wrong not coming by to praise the amazing retro dog of smash, especially because he's moveset was far better than I'd ever hoped.
For a while there, I thought we might not get any retro character at all, that would have been disappointing. He only proves that.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Since people are starting to show what they're doing with the new renders, here's mine. Did it for my Facebook profile.

Yup, he's my 4th main.

I figured, since I can get pretty good with a lot of characters, there's no shame for Duck Hunt to be my 4th.
Samus was my 4th in Brawl, and I still managed to kick some serious butt and add names to my visor scanner.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So glad the mods put both the dog and the dug in Duck Hunt's board "icon". =) Now if only they could fix this thread's title :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm so hyped to play as DHD in Smash... finally!!!

All this drama for 12 years because I had an idle conversation with a friend who was a sign language interpreter at church in 2002 about Melee and who we wanted to see in Smash 3. He seriously suggested Krystal because he liked Star Fox Adventures and he thought the staff would be unique. I jokingly suggested DHD just to laugh at people. :awesome:

I got to thank the haters for keeping me motivated. The reason I was stubbornly supporting DHD for so long was because the detractors on Nsider, NinDB, and here said he will never get in because arbitrary reasons and I hoped that Sakurai would one day give me the personal satisfaction of rubbing it in their faces when they are proven wrong. :smirk:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yeah, it's seriously surreal for me... I just stare at the pictures I drew those many years ago wondering... wondering if maybe, maybe, they actually made a difference. And that blows my mind. Very few of us get to predict the "WTF" character, we were on the winning team, and it's a crazy feeling.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
This character makes me happy and looks like just a fun character to use, probably not main but definitely secondary for me.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I thought he would be cool, just because the final smash would be the laugh. And then the leak hit. I was sobbing with joy. Then I found out he doesn't have the laugh.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I thought he would be cool, just because the final smash would be the laugh. And then the leak hit. I was sobbing with joy. Then I found out he doesn't have the laugh.
Well, he laughs, it's just not he same sound... If he didn't have the laugh as a taunt I'd be mad. We at least got that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, it's seriously surreal for me... I just stare at the pictures I drew those many years ago wondering... wondering if maybe, maybe, they actually made a difference. And that blows my mind. Very few of us get to predict the "WTF" character, we were on the winning team, and it's a crazy feeling.
And even fewer people get to predict the moves for said WTF character. Seriously, we got the following:

- normal moves that are very similar to Banjo-Kazooie
- duck recovery Up+B move
- clay pigeon Side+B move (with the hunter shooting the discs like my moveset idea in the OP)
- the hunter shooting from the fourth wall
- Smash moves involving said hunter
- that cartwheel move from Crusade (neutral A in air)
- Hogan's Alley cans (some supporters suggested this in this thread)
- Final Smash involving DHD's classic laugh

I'm sure I forgot something but yeah, things like that makes me wonder if Sakurai was actually listening to the DHD fans.

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I am still fine with calling the character "Duck Hunt Dog" or "DHD", even though the duck is part of the dog's attacks, and we see the hunter from the fourth wall, as well as stuff from Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman. Who knows? Maybe the character will get a name change in the USA version, just as "Olimar & Pikmin" became "Olimar" in the US.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Man, I already liked Duck Hunt, but now I'm finally seeing the Banjo-Kazooie aspects.

Besides the obvious bird on the back of a mammal, they've even got the personalities, but reversed.

The dog is the snarky one (Kazooie) and the duck is the happy-go-lucky one (Banjo).

I just wish they had proper names. Duck Hunt is alright, but it feels weird when referring to either character.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I have to say this, if there isn't a picture of the DHD interacting with one of the puppies in the Living Room stage, I would be very disappointed.
Dunno if this has already been posted yet, but...

*Sniff*

He actually delivered on my wish.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I've looked at the gameplay, and... DHD looks like a combination of Olimar and Lucario to me and I LOVE IT. He may well be my main in SSB4.
Dunno if this has already been posted yet, but...

*Sniff*

He actually delivered on my wish.
Just saw this.
Dalmatian DHD is my new main forever, you guys.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While I imagine that the fanbase universally agrees that the Dog is male, am I the only one who likes to think of the accompanying Duck as female?

It's probably because of their Banjo-Kazooie vibe, but for some reason the Duck being a girl just works so well for me. I imagine her nagging the Dog into actually helping her in Smash instead of loafing about, much like Kazooie being the hot-blooded one who's always eager to go into battle.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Where's that tweet someone sent Sakurai with moveset ideas for DHD?

I remember it was really well made, can't believe DHD actually made it into Smash 4. Can't wait to try him!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Where's that tweet someone sent Sakurai with moveset ideas for DHD?

I remember it was really well made, can't believe DHD actually made it into Smash 4. Can't wait to try him!
This one? Or this one?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I got to thank the haters for keeping me motivated. The reason I was stubbornly supporting DHD for so long was because the detractors on Nsider, NinDB, and here said he will never get in because arbitrary reasons and I hoped that Sakurai would one day give me the personal satisfaction of rubbing it in their faces when they are proven wrong. :smirk:
Yes, I know that feeling. It's that incredible moment when something you dreamed of is finally realized. It's that moment when something everyone else said could never happen actually happens, defying everything that everyone thought they knew. It's that moment when you were right and everyone else was wrong. And it's unbelievably satisfying.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
A quick sketch showing the dog fetching "Banjo-You-Know-Who-ie" (Kazooie) and "Conker's Bad Microsoft Buy-Out" (Conker) so that he can use their collect-a-thon game styles in his potential next game. Who needs Nuts and Bolts when you can have Quacks and Laughs?

IMG_20140919_193156956_HDR.jpg

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I love that you can have a separate 3ds and Wii U main.
Otherwise, I'd have to choose between my favorites:awesome:.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yeah, I really love it too. I was just thinking "will there ever be a way to put your secondary on your postbit" and now I can just put my main on one and secondary on the other. :3

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Yeah, I really love it too. I was just thinking "will there ever be a way to put your secondary on your postbit" and now I can just put my main on one and secondary on the other. :3
aaaa another Monster Hunter fan

internet fistbump for you

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I know it's late, but congrats on the confirmation of the Duck Hunt duo! I would have never thought that the Duck Hunt Dog would actually playable in Smash Bros. At first when I saw the leak, I was pretty skeptical. But after see what the Dog and Duck can do for a moveset, they actually have grown on me quite a lot. Sakurai has done a really great job of giving a moveset to a dog and duck. I think this what makes Sakurai great. Creativity at its finest there. I actually can't wait to try them out.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I looked up a Duck Hunt gameplay video and wow, I keep falling in love with this character more and more
it shows off all of his moves and it's wonderful
Although, recovery looks really bad... at least he has really high jumps to make up for that.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, I'm really excited about Duck Hunt's moves. It's even more amazing than I had imagined. Finally! No more dreaming about DHD in Smash for 12 long years... October 3, 2014 is when I will finally live my dream!

I really should write a thank-you tweet to Sakurai's Twitter for finally adding DHD in Smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm really excited about Duck Hunt's moves. It's even more amazing than I had imagined. Finally! No more dreaming about DHD in Smash for 12 long years... October 3, 2014 is when I will finally live my dream!

I really should write a thank-you tweet to Sakurai's Twitter for finally adding DHD in Smash.
Would you mind helping me do the same with a Pilot Wings character for DLC?:p

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
Well, he laughs, it's just not he same sound... If he didn't have the laugh as a taunt I'd be mad. We at least got that.
Event then, it's not THE laugh. Not the same pose, sound, ect. His entry animation is the closest thing to the original. And a victory pose.

Top Bottom