• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Duck Hunt: The Line? Do you mean you want the subtitle directly after "Duck Hunt" with nothing like "Adventures" in between? Or do you want "Duck Hunt: The Line" to be the actual title? What do you mean by "The Line"?
It's a spoof of the game Spec Ops: the Line. Think a game that shames for you killing of those poor innocent waterfowl.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Wouln't it be awesome if somehow Duck Hunt Dog represented a bit of every Zapper game from the NES?
Hoogan's Alley, Gumshoe, Clay Shooter, Duck Hunt. And the barrel busting game which I forgot about that appears in Warioware Touched.
Well holy crap

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ah, I'm a bit late for the initial celebration but....wow.

I figured I'd like him to begin with, but then the Banjo Kazooie references in both how he fights and the premise, plus the fact that it's not just the Dog and Duck, it's the GAME OF DUCK HUNT ITSELF as the hunter is clearly shooting the zapper. All of Duck Hunt has joined Smash, all of it.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ah, I'm a bit late for the initial celebration but....wow.

I figured I'd like him to begin with, but then the Banjo Kazooie references in both how he fights and the premise, plus the fact that it's not just the Dog and Duck, it's the GAME OF DUCK HUNT ITSELF as the hunter is clearly shooting the zapper. All of Duck Hunt has joined Smash, all of it.
Oh, not only that... all of Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley has joined Smash too... no... it's all of the light gun genre. You are playing as the light gun genre!!!

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
In honor of Duck Hunt Dog's character, Duck Hunt, making it in to a Smash game after 12 years of undying support by @ Arcadenik Arcadenik and many other Smash Hunters, I made this tribute video:

This is based on the Tumblr comic made by beapeabear that is quickly going around the internet lately. The comic's panels are dynamically animated and set to music and sound effects. Enjoy, fellow Smash Hunters!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
After playing DHD yesterday, I decided to draw this picture to capture how he plays in the game

I herd u liek projectilez so I give u mor, and they explodz 2

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
In honor of Duck Hunt Dog's character, Duck Hunt, making it in to a Smash game after 12 years of undying support by @ Arcadenik Arcadenik and many other Smash Hunters, I made this tribute video:

This is based on the Tumblr comic made by beapeabear that is quickly going around the internet lately. The comic's panels are dynamically animated and set to music and sound effects. Enjoy, fellow Smash Hunters!
That still doesn't explain how they met the Wild Gunmen. Perhaps in the Smash waiting room, they got denied playable slots, and then Duck Hunt let them be in their moveset? :3

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Thought I'd share this with you guys

" Interesting Fact About the Duck Hunt Dog

He was put on the roster much for the same reason Mr. Game & Watch was in Melee. Much like how Mr. Game & Watch was added to the roster as a tribute to the late Gunpei Yokoi, Duck Hunt Dog was added as tribute to the late Hiroshi Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo who died on September 19, 2013.

Mr. Yamauchi was the one to create and develop the Light Gun Shooter genre, of which Duck Hunt is a part of, so without Mr. Yamauchi we wouldn't even have games like Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, and Hogan's Alley. Hell, without Yamauchi, Nintendo might not have even become a video game company and would have continued selling toys.

I had hoped that Sakurai would have done something for Mr. Yamauchi when he passed away and this is pretty much it. So if you diss the dog, you diss Mr. Yamauchi."

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That's sad. :( But MAJOR respect points for Sakurai for this playable tribute.

Duck Hunt is a pivot point of my childhood. I know I was extremely hyped to play SMB that came bundled with the NES.
However, I was also very curious about that Little extra game that came included in the cartidge. Man the hours I spent playing Duck Hunt. I wish I had other Zapper games back then to enjoy as well, but I was pretty much set with Duck Hunt/Clay Shooter.

Anyway, I was originally planning to wait for DH to be an official smash bros reveal, but since it's now out, and DH is now common knowledge... Here's my new avvy. :)
Congrats, Duck Hunt!

(P.S., used it to practice a tiny bit of pixel-art).

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus

He was put on the roster much for the same reason Mr. Game & Watch was in Melee. Much like how Mr. Game & Watch was added to the roster as a tribute to the late Gunpei Yokoi, Duck Hunt Dog was added as tribute to the late Hiroshi Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo who died on September 19, 2013.

Mr. Yamauchi was the one to create and develop the Light Gun Shooter genre, of which Duck Hunt is a part of, so without Mr. Yamauchi we wouldn't even have games like Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, and Hogan's Alley. Hell, without Yamauchi, Nintendo might not have even become a video game company and would have continued selling toys.

I had hoped that Sakurai would have done something for Mr. Yamauchi when he passed away and this is pretty much it. So if you diss the dog, you diss Mr. Yamauchi."
Is there a source on that? Where did Sakurai say this?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Is there a source on that? Where did Sakurai say this?
Don't ask me, I gave you guys the source to the guy who said this.

It doesn't change the fact that Hiroshi Yamauchi died on Sep 19th, 2013 though and that he was the one that made the Light Gun Shooter as well as being former president

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Well, it's a bit odd to me... Yamauchi had no more to do with Duck Hunt than he did any other NES/Famicom Nintendo game of that time. Yokoi, in fact, developed the light gun of the original Duck Hunt and even produced Duck Hunt on NES. So really, it's another one of Yokoi's babies.

It is fascinating though that the artist for the game, the one who designed the dog and ducks, also designed Wario, Samus, and Pit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Wow... that's so sad that Yamauchi never saw a NES Zapper rep in Smash... he would have been proud of Sakurai and Duck Hunt. Same goes for Yokoi.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Anyone remember these Looney Tunes cartoons?

THIS is the relationship I want between the Dog and the Duck. After the hunting "incident", the dog finds the baby duck and brings it home without his owner knowing. The duck gets into mischief, and the dog has to obey his master and yet care for him.

The duck's loyal to the dog, and the dog's loyal to his owner. The Smash attacks are actually the dog saving the duck from the owner, and the specials are just distractions made by the dog (clay pigeons, tin cans) found in his home.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601

THIS is the relationship I want between the Dog and the Duck. After the hunting "incident", the dog finds the baby duck and brings it home without his owner knowing. The duck gets into mischief, and the dog has to obey his master and yet care for him.

The duck's loyal to the dog, and the dog's loyal to his owner. The Smash attacks are actually the dog saving the duck from the owner, and the specials are just distractions made by the dog (clay pigeons, tin cans) found in his home.
When I made that video out of the Tumblr comic, I used a sound bite from that exact Merrie Melodies theatrical short. Marc Anthony's crying became Duck Hunt Dog's crying. The video is posted earlier in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...nt-dog-confirmed.324531/page-45#post-17592180

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Well... obviously it was not for the same reason, as the roster was not chosen when Hiroshi Yamauchi was yet dead. It may have been in honor of him, but I suspect it was likely just a coincidence and perhaps just with respect to the creator, given the nature of the timing of the deaths. Perhaps it played a factor, but I doubt it played much of a significance, whereas the characters themselves likely were the actual meritable contribution.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED

Source?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Good choice using Happy Together. I remember that being in the classic Smash Brothers 64 ad.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Click the big yellow title bruh. If you're not satisfied, ask them for the source. Not Me.
Well, you shouldn't be posting things that don't have a source to begin with... But hey, I asked the question over there, so maybe we'll see something crop up.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice

Now that you have pointed it out it does look like the Dog is quickly dodging to protect his little buddy. Just look at the fear and surprise looks on their faces, even more so on the Dog who fears for his partner's life.

Maybe the Hunter vs. Duck conflict can be a factor in the Duck Hunt BK spiritual succesor's (Barko-Quackzooie? Meh, Jk) story?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The next time you guys see people blaming Duck Hunt for replacing Ice Climbers... or you see people saying that Ice Climbers can work on the 3DS because of Rosalina & Luma, Pikmin & Olimar, and Duck Hunt... show them this picture.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
When I first saw the leak for the roster I remember saying "I sincerely hope Duck Hunt Dog isn't actually part of the roster." Mostly cus I thought the concept was dumb. But after watching Denti play him a little I'm starting to realise how much he might actually fit my play style, as in more traditional fighters, I tend to lean more towards zoning characters such as Dhalsim in Street Fighter and Blackheart in MvC2, as well as him being a semi-puppet style character (or at least, that's how I'm referring to him).

So yeah, really hype to experiment with this character and see what he can do!

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
The next time you guys see people blaming Duck Hunt for replacing Ice Climbers... or you see people saying that Ice Climbers can work on the 3DS because of Rosalina & Luma, Pikmin & Olimar, and Duck Hunt... show them this picture.

I don't really see the duck as being a weapon since unlike Luma and Pikmin, it doesn't get KO'd/go away/ die without being KO'd with the dog and it is permanently attached as part of the Dog's model. If anything it's like an assistant who's there to help the dog out for its recovery and aerial attacks. Unlike Falco "McLandmaster-Fox-Final-Smash-Copycat-ington" Lombardi the duck truely does prefer the air. But yeah, it's a shame when people compare the other partner characters to Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Unlike Falco "McLandmaster-Fox-Final-Smash-Copycat-ington" Lombardi the duck truely does prefer the air.
I laughed hard at that. I also wish people would understand that omissions have to be made due to technical reasons, not because the developers hate humanity.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

Full render hype!
Where are these renders coming from anyway? I assume someone is Photoshopping them? They're good, but I can't believe they're official, since Sakurai said that hidden characters won't be covered until after the US release (when I say official, I mean posted to the site, I'm aware they're from the game)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Where are these renders coming from anyway? I assume someone is Photoshopping them? They're good, but I can't believe they're official, since Sakurai said that hidden characters won't be covered until after the US release (when I say official, I mean posted to the site, I'm aware they're from the game)
Someone ripped the 3DS textures.
http://imgur.com/a/GMYWQ

Top Bottom