• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Y'know, I just saw some For Glory footage of Shulk, and it has me wondering...has anyone found any FG footage of Duck Hunt [Dog]? I'm hoping to see some at some point <3

LF2K

Floor Diver
Since the dog doesn't have an official name, I've nicknamed him "Zapper" after the gun. Maybe someone out there's named their dog that? :p

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i quite like the way the dog looks in ssb4, all the fan made ones were a bit unpleasant what with them all having him in the grin permanently, but the official one the dog and duck look quite nice

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I just realized why I like Duck Hunt. The duo are like Looney Tunes characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just realized why I like Duck Hunt. The duo are like Looney Tunes characters.
Well, yeah... that's what I've been saying all along... the haters said DHD would never get in because he's a dog and people don't want to beat up dogs and that's the reason Nintendogs didn't get in Brawl... I countered that DHD is a cartoon dog, not a real life dog, and therefore DHD is suitable for cartoon violence and Nintendogs are not.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well, yeah... that's what I've been saying all along... the haters said DHD would never get in because he's a dog and people don't want to beat up dogs and that's the reason Nintendogs didn't get in Brawl... I countered that DHD is a cartoon dog, not a real life dog, and therefore DHD is suitable for cartoon violence and Nintendogs are not.
I would love to beat a Nintendog

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I don't know why, but I used to be opposed to the dog back when I joined.
Now that I see him, I'm in love. Everything turned out infinitely better than I dreaded, and damn if the dog and duck aren't cute.

I think I might even add them to my secondary mains! :bee:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Loving this character. He's essentially the equivalent of G&W and R.O.B. from past Smash games and those are some of my favorites. I'll probably main the hell out of him because he's such a unique character! Oh, and I'm also glad I started supporting him DAYS before the leak surfaced :p.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Loving this character. He's essentially the equivalent of G&W and R.O.B. from past Smash games and those are some of my favorites. I'll probably main the hell out of him because he's such a unique character! Oh, and I'm also glad I started supporting him DAYS before the leak surfaced :p.
He's a better retro rep than :popo:, :rob:, :gw:, and :4pit: combined.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've been trying to expand on Duck Hunt's projectile game lately and it's so deep, I'll be making a vid today if I have time just to show potential. Unfortunately I feel that the 3DS' control is too, uhm, bad in lack of a better word to make me able to control Duck Hunt in the way I please. Might just be a habit thing so we'll see in a few weeks, otherwise I'll just hold of practise until Wii U.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
1410668270257.jpg

A quick drawing I did of Duck & Hunt (pretending like those are their real names) with a mock-up logo for their potential Banjo-Kazooie style game. Sorry I haven't been on in a while, but congratulations, everyone, on the inclusion of Duck Hunt!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
OMG.... I absolutely would love to have a new Duck Hunt game that's like Banjo-Kazooie games... maybe there could be a city level with characters based on Hogan's Alley cardboard cutouts (Lady, Professor, Police, etc.).... and a wild west level with the five Wild Gunmen... maybe throw in Gumshoe characters like Mr. Stevenson, his daughter Jennifer, the mob boss King Dom, and the jungle monster Zulie.

Maybe there could be two criminal organizations... the city level has the Sicilian Mafia made of Hogan's Alley criminals led by King Dom... and the wild west level has the Mexican Mafia made of Wild Gunmen... and both organizations are in war with each other over the Black Panther Diamonds (I guess they could work like the jigsaw pieces in Banjo-Kazooie games).

Oh, we could make it even more crazy with the aliens (the Ragossians) from To The Earth... and they are also after the Black Panther Diamonds because they are made of alien elements and they need it for reasons... and so the dog and his duck friends are in middle of a gang war and an alien invasion.

Solo and multi-player mini-games based on the NES Zapper games would give it replay value after clearing the story mode.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
OMG.... I absolutely would love to have a new Duck Hunt game that's like Banjo-Kazooie games... maybe there could be a city level with characters based on Hogan's Alley cardboard cutouts (Lady, Professor, Police, etc.).... and a wild west level with the five Wild Gunmen... maybe throw in Gumshoe characters like Mr. Stevenson, his daughter Jennifer, the mob boss King Dom, and the jungle monster Zulie.

Maybe there could be two criminal organizations... the city level has the Sicilian Mafia made of Hogan's Alley criminals led by King Dom... and the wild west level has the Mexican Mafia made of Wild Gunmen... and both organizations are in war with each other over the Black Panther Diamonds (I guess they could work like the jigsaw pieces in Banjo-Kazooie games).

Oh, we could make it even more crazy with the aliens (the Ragossians) from To The Earth... and they are also after the Black Panther Diamonds because they are made of alien elements and they need it for reasons... and so the dog and his duck friends are in middle of a gang war and an alien invasion.

Solo and multi-player mini-games based on the NES Zapper games would give it replay value after clearing the story mode.
Yeah, I remember discussing the idea of the Duck Hunt BK superphysical successor earlier on this fourm with you guys. Hogan's Alley is actually based off a ex-military and current FBI simulated town/ training facility of the same name in Camp Perry, Ohio. I was thinking that in the potential game the alley could be an abandoned gun range that's the secret HQ of a secret government or private organization that hunts the aliens (or maybe the hideout of the real mafia). They can even be voice recordings from a mysterious ex-employee or owner of the stimulated town playing from old speakers that are hidden in plain sight (in trees, bushes, etc). Think of how in Portal 2 the old owner of Aperture Laboratories would guide you through a section of the game with recordings from the 70's.

There can also be characters and areas inspired by other NES titles. Like the Balloon Fighter who lives on an island surronded by man-eating fish who teaches you how to fly once you drift out and get marooned there. (He tries to get you to use balloons but gets annoyed whenever the duck and dog hair getting tangled in the strings so he just trains with the duck until it builds up enough strength to fly around with the dog.) Other placed can be a Gyomite lab with R.O.B. and Professor Vector and the icy summits of Ice Climbers where you have to track down the condor who is laying in a nest full of one or more Black Panther Diamonds. But I think that given the move set of the Duck Hunt duo midst of the game would be insured by old Zapper titles.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Several days afterwards, I still can't believe that the dog from Duck Hunt is playable.

I remember just before the leak I thought how awesome it would be to see him playable, but there was no chance such an obscure character would be in.

And now he's in. This is nuts.
But the beauty of it is that he isn't obscure. Duck Hunt and the dog are iconic, and that's reason enough to believe they should rightfully be in, and lo and behold, here they are!... Not that it wasn't a leap a faith in some regards, I mean, it is pretty dang unconventional.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Seriously though, I never thought anyone would ever give me Duck Hunt FEELS. Congratulations.
Same here... I even have happy tears running down my cheeks right now. It's a beautiful story that needs to be told in an official Nintendo game... and that's why we need a new Duck Hunt game like Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Yes! This NEEDS to be canon! Maybe in the potential BK spiritual successor the hunter was inspired by the friendship of the duck and the dog and decided to start a duck reserve where the old hunting grounds were. Now the hunter only shoots them when he needs to (to gather escapes, get them in their habitats, give them food and medicine, and in the story use them for their teamwork in environmental puzzles) and he does it only with either a tranquilizer dart or a painless stun gun in the form of an NES Zapper. At one point in the game maybe the duck learns about the dog and hunter's dark past and leaves them for a while this making the game more challenging (playing as the dog without the duck and the duck without the dog) only to later join back with them and forgive them for being changed people (and dogs count as people, too, in this case). This is a deep and emotional story that would add some seriousness to an otherwise cartoony and lighthearted game. It'd be like how Earthbound was colorful and goofy then got serious near the end.

On a side-note I'm just a tiny bit (but not really) surprised that no one tried to say that Smash's Duck Hunt Dog is really a puppy or grand-puppy of the original dog now known as "Cranky Hound"! Cranky was always trying to catch the ducks, and the new DHD is friends with them. :rotfl::chuckle::p

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
OH, WOW! THIS IS GREAT!!! Nintendo should TOTALLY make this canon to the Duck Hunt series! It started off a little sad, with the "death" of the duckling's parents, but after that, it was so cheerful later on! It's really cute and sweet, I can say that much! You know, all of this instantly makes me think of Snoopy and Woodstock! You NEED to send this to Nintendo! I'm sure they'd love to see this!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That comic. My feels. Nintendo make that the backstory of a new Duck Hunt game.

That'd be so sweet. <3

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer Duck Hunt: The Line.
Duck Hunt: The Line? Do you mean you want the subtitle directly after "Duck Hunt" with nothing like "Adventures" in between? Or do you want "Duck Hunt: The Line" to be the actual title? What do you mean by "The Line"?

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Even though it's been ~4 days and many days since we've known his inclusion... it's still so weird. If you told me the last 3 character threads to make it into the glorious sticky territory (meaning that character got confirmed and has its own subforum) were Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, and Duck Hunt dog (as I knew him back then), I'd dismiss it entirely. I just really want to play Duck Hunt of all characters. I like dogs.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Nintendo should:
hire the guy who wrote that story in the comic
hire all the people who worked on the first 2 banjo games
give them a good budget
and then watch a new modern master piece be born.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I really didn't expect him to be playable at all. Sakurai is forgiven for the Miis and Wii Fit Trainer now haha.

A moveset consisting of Hunter and Duck working together was never considered in my mind's eye. I was afraid that he would have a really stale moveset and preferred that he be absent from the roster instead of be a character with no flair or style. But once again, just like with Rosalina and Pac Man, he takes extensive creative liberties and makes Duck Hunt Dog badass beyond belief. I'm excited that this character is in the game and can't wait to use him. The two characters have got a nostalgic cartoon quality about them that I find really appealing. They really nailed this character lol.

Now I can only hope he isn't overused like hell...

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Right now I'm wondering how long it'll be before people start compiling full tier lists for this game. I want to see how Duck Hunt fairs against the top-tiersmen (is that even a word?) of the past like Melee's space animals, Marth, Falcon, Brawl's (arguably broken) Metaknight, and others. I'd also like to see the approach people will take with retesting everyone after an update rebalances the game and if they will test Super Smash Bros for Wii U for any differences (hitboxes, lag, and other things major and minor) from its portable counterpart. The Pikmin may behave slightly differently on the Wii U since on the 3DS they move at only 30 fps.

I wonder, as well, how long it'll be before everyone is done testing all of the possible custom move and Mii combinations and makes a tier list of those out of anyone will even try to do it and if it will even be possible to measure and make note of all of the possible ways an amiibo can level up and learn to behave. And will system limitations on the 3DS limit amiibos and make them think and act with less intelligence or something then I'd they were used on a Wii U?

Last edited:
Top Bottom