• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
that might prove to be to complicated and/or overpowered if players find out a way to abuse the mechanic.
Abuse the system? Like desynching or something? Maybe the separate sets of hitboxes are similar to Rosalina & Luma and Pikmin & Olimar... people cannot hit Lumas or Pikmin unless Rosalina or Olimar uses them as attacks.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
the DHD model from the leak is a WAY better way of having Duck Hunt than the model in @ Arcadenik Arcadenik 's Profile pic.

I can't be the first one who thought that, right?
I agree, but I do hope that the dog still stands on his hind legs every now and then, especially to laugh. But I love how he resembles his look from the intro of Duck Hunt, eyelids half-way down, tongue hanging out, on all fours. It's pretty accurate to the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm so stoked that I can finally play as the infamous dog from Duck Hunt in Smash... I've been dreaming about this for 12 years... I can finally make my own memories and experiences in SSB4... no more living vicariously through Crusade and Brawl hacks on YouTube. He will be my main, no doubt about it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've missed a few things for the last couple of days.

So.. is the leak legit?
Because Duck Hunt Dog is definitely my favorite new addition. Or let me put it this way:
Megaman>Little Mac>DUCK HUNTer>Pacman>>>>>>>anyone else.

So that's right, #3 favorite newcomer, #11 most wanted. (#10th if we don't count veterans).
I'm looking forward to play as him. I don't even care we got Dark Pit. Duck Hunt Dog makes up for all the "wrong" choices. :D

....again, was the leak legit? Otherwise I'm just looking really stupid, lol.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I've missed a few things for the last couple of days.

So.. is the leak legit?
Because Duck Hunt Dog is definitely my favorite new addition. Or let me put it this way:
Megaman>Little Mac>DUCK HUNTer>Pacman>>>>>>>anyone else.

So that's right, #3 favorite newcomer, #11 most wanted. (#10th if we don't count veterans).
I'm looking forward to play as him. I don't even care we got Dark Pit. Duck Hunt Dog makes up for all the "wrong" choices. :D

....again, was the leak legit? Otherwise I'm just looking really stupid, lol.
According to most people on this thread, yes.

In my opinion, no.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Let's just say the leak hasn't been properly debunked yet.

Honestly don't know but after what happened with Pokemon B/W and X/Y I'm leaning towards it being real.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm so stoked that I can finally play as the infamous dog from Duck Hunt in Smash... I've been dreaming about this for 12 years... I can finally make my own memories and experiences in SSB4... no more living vicariously through Crusade and Brawl hacks on YouTube. He will be my main, no doubt about it.
Excuse me, but I'm not on the support list. Can you add me please? I'm not saying I want to be added because of the leak. I've actually wanted DHD, but I thought I was on the support list long ago, so I didn't think to check until now.

SORRY! DOUBLE POST! JUST DELETE/IGNORE THIS!

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
One thing I like about the Duck Hunt Dog is that we get to keep a quadruped character in Smash, despite the inevitable cut of Ivysaur.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
One thing I like about the Duck Hunt Dog is that we get to keep a quadruped character in Smash, despite the inevitable cut of Ivysaur.
If he's even fully quadruped, the art seems to be, but we all know how much he uses his hands in Duck Hunt, it wouldn't shock me if he switched between running like a dog on all fours and running like a man on his hind legs. I'm still torn between whether he should hold items in his mouth or hold items with his hands, either would work.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm so curious about how Sakurai would make Duck Hunt Dog work as a quadruped fighter in Smash... at least Ivysaur used vines to pick up items and whip opponents. I can already tell that it's gonna be insane and incredibly unique. Maybe the ducks work like Orbitars in Uprising? I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to show his Uprising bias yet again. :awesome:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Sorry, I lurk this thread more than I post. Still here though.

If I may, my thoughts on the question at hand: I can see a balance of bipedal and quadrupedal working. The idea of him never getting up on his hind legs seems odd, since it's how most people (or at least myself) seem to picture him.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It will be a matter of time when a veteran gets shown then we will see

I hope the next veteran/newcomer reveal matches with the character picture from the leak.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If he's even fully quadruped, the art seems to be, but we all know how much he uses his hands in Duck Hunt, it wouldn't shock me if he switched between running like a dog on all fours and running like a man on his hind legs. I'm still torn between whether he should hold items in his mouth or hold items with his hands, either would work.
I think that's how he would work. I mean, running on all fours, then for certain attacks and grabs he'll stand on 2 legs.
I like that, gives him a Tom & Jerry vibe.

-
Something I've been wondering since the leak is, how is the dog going to interact with the duck(s). Will it only be able to manage one at the time? Will it throw them like projectiles that flap around until they leave? I'm pretty sure his recovery will involve one of them being on the screen.

Hope he's a grappling character. I mean, his whole role in the game is to actually grab the ducks as they fall. But with projectile ducks in his repertoir.

(I'm still on the fence about believing this or not, but let's say that I will just because it feels good to have some great news every once in a while) :happysheep:

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Some time in photoshop leaves me with this meager gift. Figured peeps could use it for support sigs or whatever.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Some time in photoshop leaves me with this meager gift. Figured peeps could use it for support sigs or whatever.
Wow, I feel like a dumb*** now. I thought you said "gif" instead of "gift" and literally stared at DHD for a couple of minutes thinking that he was moving...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Famitsu just confirmed that something big that casts a shadow will be a stage hazard, and I don't think Kraid casts a shadow from the air. Ridley's becoming more unlikely.
Nope not even that deconfirms ridley

Because how many times do we have to bring this one up

Thought to be deconfirmed

But turned out wrong

For in this case the ridley has ben cloned so a different ridley or a clone

(But not turning it to a ridley subject back to th dog who laughs.)

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Nope not even that deconfirms ridley

Because how many times do we have to bring this one up

Thought to be deconfirmed

But turned out wrong

For in this case the ridley has ben cloned so a different ridley or a clone

(But not turning it to a ridley subject back to th dog who laughs.)
Toon Link is different. Ridley not only interacts with the stage but is also rather large compared to the other fighters. It just wouldn't make sense for Ridley to suddenly become smaller and a playable fighter at the same time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Your one of the ridley is too big for smash guys

Anyway last arguement then bag to duck hunt dog

Does that sound impossible to shrink ridley when the playable one is on the pyrosphere and the clone is bigger.

If you want to take on us go to the ridley support thread. This is to stick with duck hunt dog.
Oh no, I meant the stage hazard Ridley was large compared to the fighters, not that Ridley is too big to be in Smash.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I just downloaded the Wario hack, I am so hooked! I Support.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I do wonder what th DHD's final smash will be? XD

A swarm of ducks? Perhaps a first person shooter where ducks swarm the screen but the player instead aims for the other playable characters (akin to Snake's original final smash, but done in the way of the original Duck Hunt game). XD

Also add me as well to the support group. Always loved Duck Hunt as a kid, and I get the feeling I'll enjoy using him in Smash if the leak is real.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I do wonder what th DHD's final smash will be? XD

A swarm of ducks? Perhaps a first person shooter where ducks swarm the screen but the player instead aims for the other playable characters (akin to Snake's original final smash, but done in the way of the original Duck Hunt game). XD

Also add me as well to the support group. Always loved Duck Hunt as a kid, and I get the feeling I'll enjoy using him in Smash if the leak is real.
Yeah, I'd think the dog hides in the middle of the stage and when characters get shot by the player, they fly over to the dog who collects them with the 8-bit Duck Hunt noise.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I saw the leak and thought about it for a while. When I was doing this, I realized "hey...Duck Hunt Dog wouldn't be so bad an addition....". So I thought about his potential. Eventually I grew into him. While I don't believe this leak, I support Duck Hunt Dog to be a fighter. Hand me a gun, I'm ready for the hunt.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
So... what if Duck has the hitbox where it can only get hit but it doesn't attack opponents... and Dog has the hitboxes where it can only hurt opponents but it doesn't get attacked (a la Starman item)...

So there are two separate hitboxes... one for the duck and one for the dog... and opponents must try to hit the duck... while the player who is playing as the dog must try to protect the duck from opponents while "chasing the duck". After all, if the opponents down a duck, it counts as a miss because the hunter didn't shoot the duck and the dog automatically stops and laughs... but opponents still cannot hit the dog... very frustrating just like in the NES game. The duck respawns by flying out of the grass that grows on the revival platform, starting the next round.
Dog laughing when you miss and when your opponent miss... sounds like so much fun to be honest :laugh:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I can't say for sure what's happening with Ridley, I wouldn't say supporters are in denial, there's some serious toying around by Sakurai going on. Having said that, the dog is more likely than he is at that point, which is a crazy unbelievable thing to say. I never would have even thought of saying it a few months ago, it feels great!

I'm wondering what the Final Smash could be too... A massive flock of ducks would be the easy way to go, while the dog is just standing there laughing. Or perhaps something like Snake's old FS, where the gameplay all of a sudden turns into classic Duck Hunt shooting... But then again ZSS has that now, so I don't know.

Last edited:

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice
Duck hunt is an awesome retro character, we need more characters like this. On one hand the leak being real means no K rool which sucks :@ :@ but dog and bowser jr almost make up for it. Can't wait to see if this is real.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I'm just gonna say it. I think "Duck Hunt" would be great in Smash... as an assist trophy. You actvate it, the dog barks, jumps into the background and then the ducks fly around. You can either kill the ducks or else after a certain amout of time they fly away, carrying items or maybe even players with them. If you were to get picked up by the duck you could escape, of course. Or if you kill the ducks then they drop to the ground and the dog picks them up playing that little tune from Duck Hunt. Maybe if all the ducks are killed then whoever killed the most gets some kind of reward.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yeah, but Duck Hunt deserves more than an Assist Trophy based on how big and iconic of a game it was. Well, I suppose you wouldn't think of the dog as a playable character since we never played as him in the first place, but if characters like R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer are playable because of their importance to Nintendo or Nintendo's history, Duck Hunt is right there alongside them. And besides, if he's playable we get to kick in his face, a dream among many of us retro gamers. Or on the other end, laugh hysterically at our opponents' failures. What a good feeling that would be!

DoobieStories

Smash Cadet
ZSS final smash will be similar to Snakes? Thats amazing news to hear, considering that was the main thing i would be missing about snake, Where did you hear this though cause on miiverse it "looks" like her ship will swoop in from the background and shoot the enemies on the stage.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
What?! I'm not on the support list? I thought I was...

Please, add me! 4th most wanted newcomer.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I honestly hope the Duck Hunt Dog and Shulk are the only 2 characters the leak was correct about. DHD is a really interesting choice for a new retro character and hell, we may get a new Duck Hunt game for Wii U because of his inclusion! Either way, I won't believe the leak until the next character is revealed which should be this upcoming week.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Somebody (forgot who) did a sketch over the leak pic, that allowed me to do this:

I'm not a Photoshop wizard, so this is the best I can manage.

Top Bottom