• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Perhaps the duck could be sorta/semi-controllable, like the luma, maybe? Or perhaps there could even be an attack not unlike Ness's UP B or Pitch the bird's spark attack from Kirby's Dreamland 3, where you can control the duck's flight as the dog would stand stationary... That'd be pretty cool.

Last edited:

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps the duck could be sorta/semi-controllable, like the luma, maybe? Or perhaps there could even be an attack not unlike Ness's UP B or Pitch the bird's spark attack from Kirby's Dreamland 3, where you can control the duck's flight as the dog would stand stationary... That'd be pretty cool.
yeah i was thinking something like ness UP B as well

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
exactly like ness's UP B and if you hit the dog with it it grabs its collar in its beak and flys him up

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I think Im staying on team DHD even after the leak is deconfirmed (Im still 60/40 on real vs fake, so shaky). But at least the dawg CSS opened my mind to the idea and now I can't help but loving it. Probably moved to 3rd on my top 5 wanted characters.
I still find it curious how I hated the Gematsu leak, but this leak I accepted it pretty early despite being pretty similar. I guess that I really never liked the Chorus Kids idea.
This leak claimed that Chorus Men will be DLC so it's still doing the CM thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually suggested that idea 6 months ago.

Bump... sorry for the double post... but I wanted to show you this... please go to 7:45

That's what I had in mind for the Duck Hunt Dog's neutral B move... where the player controls the duck... the difference is... the player needs to release the B button to have the hunter shoot at the duck when it is overlapping with the opponent.

Also.... please go to 0:20 at this second video...

I was thinking that maybe the duck automatically flies toward the opponent and peck them if you simply tapped the B button instead of holding down the B button to assume control of the duck.

In other words, tap the B button to have the dog flush out a duck... and the duck will automatically fly toward the closest opponent and peck them... if you press and hold the B button instead, the dog will flush out a duck but then the player (you) assume control of the duck and you can try to get it close to the oppo

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*whispers* @ Arcadenik Arcadenik you forgot to add me to the support list <3
Added you and a bunch of new supporters. Anyone else who wants to be added, let me know... also let me know if I accidentally listed you twice.

Ah, another reason why I should've joined here a long time ago...
Look at my neutral special move idea in the OP... sounds familiar? :awesome:

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I see now, not bad. If the rumor of the duck hanging out on the dog's back is true, it would be even more fitting.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Part of the reason I gave Duck Hunt Dog that neutral special move is because I noticed that many characters' special moves functioned very similar to Kirby copy abilities in the older Kirby games. I felt it would be typical of Sakurai to do something like that to Duck Hunt Dog.

Examples:

Yoshi's Egg Roll = Wheel Kirby
Yoshi's Egg Throw = Bomb Kirby
Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick = Fire Kirby with Coo the Owl
Ice Climbers's Squall Hammer = Hammer Kirby
Ice Climbers' Blizzard = Ice Kirby
R.O.B.'s Robo Beam = Laser Kirby
Pit's Palutena's Arrow = Cupid Kirby

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
This leak claimed that Chorus Men will be DLC so it's still doing the CM thing.
I'm aware of this (though I think it has been confirmed that the DLC part of the leak was confirmed bogus). But at least with this leak we get more than just Shulk, Chorus Men and Chrom. Chrom was going to be another Marth look-alike (and at least we got a new character in Robin and a sexy Marth look-alike), Shulk is not my type of character, and Chorus Men looked very simple to me, like a different Mr. G&W.

With this leak, we can get all that boring stuff PLUS Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. which I kinda like and the clones who are... not the worst? Point is, its a lot more than Gematsu.
Of course, if it only took a low quality art to convince me for DHD. Maybe I can be convinced for Chorus Men when we see more of them (I got convinced with Pac-Man too).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The good thing is whatever Duck Hunt Dog''s moveset is? It's unique. He's not bundled down with the other clones so he can't be a Rosie & Luma clone or a Olimar clone.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If the leak is true, it also means the Duck Hunt Dog could be taking the place of the Ice Climbers, and unless they're available as DLC, he could borrow some of their gameplay attributes too. Hammer swings changed into duck whacks maybe? Sort of how some characters were given moves similar to Snakes like Zero Samus's final smash or Olimar's Up B. If not moveset, the dog would still take that retro NES spot.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'm aware of this (though I think it has been confirmed that the DLC part of the leak was confirmed bogus). But at least with this leak we get more than just Shulk, Chorus Men and Chrom. Chrom was going to be another Marth look-alike (and at least we got a new character in Robin and a sexy Marth look-alike), Shulk is not my type of character, and Chorus Men looked very simple to me, like a different Mr. G&W.

With this leak, we can get all that boring stuff PLUS Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. which I kinda like and the clones who are... not the worst? Point is, its a lot more than Gematsu.
Of course, if it only took a low quality art to convince me for DHD. Maybe I can be convinced for Chorus Men when we see more of them (I got convinced with Pac-Man too).
I don't think Chorus Men will be for everyone. They'll probably play very rhythm based. Like DK's final smash but more of his moves. But I honestly hope the DLC isn't bogus. I love the Icies.

I also want to be added to the supporters list. Better late than never, right?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know what? I would like to see DHD with the duck either flying beside you or have it ride on the dog's back. Personally, I would say simply have the duck "waddle" alongside the dog, and if the dog is far away/the two get separated, the duck can fly over to the dog. I'm still not sure whether the duck should be able to be KO'd or not.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
What if we actually control the duck and DHD is just following him? :p
I wouldn't like that. having to rely on a delayed reaction computer controlled character to stay alive on stage... It would be frustrating. I feel like the whole purpose of the dog is to have that stable body that can serve as a playable character to the player.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I wouldn't like that. having to rely on a delayed reaction computer controlled character to stay alive on stage... It would be frustrating. I feel like the whole purpose of the dog is to have that stable body that can serve as a playable character to the player.
We need more variety if this is an actual character, just another olimar/rossy doesnt sounds to nice to me.
"frustrating" depends on the person, also the duck is the actual star of the franchise... :V

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
We need more variety if this is an actual character, just another olimar/rossy doesnt sounds to nice to me.
"frustrating" depends on the person, also the duck is the actual star of the franchise... :V
The Pikmin are the star of Pikmin as well, but we play as Olimar. I wouldn't worry, even though it's another combo looking character, I don't think the dog would be a clone of Olimar or Rosalina.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
The Pikmin are the star of Pikmin as well, but we play as Olimar.
uhm is different.
And yeah, i dont think is going to be a clone neither, doesnt mean it can work in the same way, which is what im saying.

A "dog using ducks" is not what you do in the game, but "a dog following a duck and trying to catch it" sounds simply brilliant :upsidedown:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Eh, agree to disagree. It sounds like it would make for a frustrating experience to me, and the dog looks like he'd fit a controllable character just fine, and he's certainly got the personality for it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
the DHD model from the leak is a WAY better way of having Duck Hunt than the model in @ Arcadenik Arcadenik 's Profile pic.

I can't be the first one who thought that, right?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if we actually control the duck and DHD is just following him? :p
So... what if Duck has the hitbox where it can only get hit but it doesn't attack opponents... and Dog has the hitboxes where it can only hurt opponents but it doesn't get attacked (a la Starman item)...

So there are two separate hitboxes... one for the duck and one for the dog... and opponents must try to hit the duck... while the player who is playing as the dog must try to protect the duck from opponents while "chasing the duck". After all, if the opponents down a duck, it counts as a miss because the hunter didn't shoot the duck and the dog automatically stops and laughs... but opponents still cannot hit the dog... very frustrating just like in the NES game. The duck respawns by flying out of the grass that grows on the revival platform, starting the next round.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So... what if Duck has the hitbox where it can only get hit but it doesn't attack opponents... and Dog has the hitboxes where it can only hurt opponents but it doesn't get attacked (a la Starman item)...

So there are two separate hitboxes... one for the duck and one for the dog... and opponents must try to hit the duck... while the player who is playing as the dog must try to protect the duck from opponents while "chasing the duck". After all, if the opponents down a duck, it counts as a miss because the hunter didn't shoot the duck and the dog automatically stops and laughs... but opponents still cannot hit the dog... very frustrating just like in the NES game. The duck respawns by flying out of the grass that grows on the revival platform, starting the next round.
that might prove to be to complicated and/or overpowered if players find out a way to abuse the mechanic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
the DHD model from the leak is a WAY better way of having Duck Hunt than the model in @ Arcadenik Arcadenik 's Profile pic.

I can't be the first one who thought that, right?
@vaanrose is the one who made that model for Brawl hacks. He himself said that he will forever disown his own model for that leaked model if it's legit. Oh god... I want that Duck Hunt amiibo so bad!

Top Bottom