• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

classix410

Smash Cadet
My mains will be:
DHD,Villager,Baby Bowser
They have to be the most interesting characters in the game
I didn't know Duck hunt dog had such a big fan base until the leak.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My mains will be:
DHD,Villager,Baby Bowser
Well, maybe most of them were closeted fans or they finally saw the error of their ways... I was one of the few fans who openly supported Duck Hunt Dog since 2002. :awesome:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It actually was never a very big fanbase, it was mostly a small but loud fanbase. But it did grow as time went on.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You forgot the best hashtag in history: #DeliciousTears :troll:
Oh man, how could I forget that?!

I really want the dog to be confirmed right now so I'll finally get the last laugh at the haters and detractors! I want my "I was wrong!" thread, dammit! The supporters deserve it!

I also want to see macro images and gifs with Duck Hunt Dog laughing at the haters and be like "U MAD? :troll:"

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Short version: tears of joy... feelings of happiness, vindication, and nostalgia... hoping this is 100% real and all my efforts were not in vain

Long version: When I first saw the leak last night, I was literally crying tears of joy for about 10 minutes or so... I never expected this to actually happen for real. I knew it was a dream... a long shot... and I was stubborn to listen to the haters and I had to read all the venom they spewed about me and about Duck Hunt Dog for years. I read them so I'd come up with counter arguments and they all said it's never happening and whatever I had to say to defend Duck Hunt Dog will be in vain.

People told me he had no moves because all he does is laugh and point. I scrapped my original moveset I had on Nsider and NinDB and I spitefully made a new moveset where he literally laughs and points to fight. That's when I had an eureka moment... so I refined that spiteful moveset into the current one where Duck Hunt Dog's moveset is a parody of the gameplay mechanics of Duck Hunt itself. With the hunter shooting from the fourth wall concept, it's almost as if you're playing Duck Hunt itself to fight.

I knew I had to do something to get Sakurai's attention... I realized I was barking up the wrong tree... that I shouldn't have to work so hard to sell the Duck Hunt Dog idea to anonymous forum members since they aren't the ones making the game... I should sell the idea to Sakurai because he's the one making the game. I created a Twitter account just so I could try to contact Sakurai directly. I wrote messages in English and then I looked through the Japanese websites for Melee and Brawl AND the Japanese Wikipedia articles on Duck Hunt, NES Zapper, hunting dogs, clay shooting, ducks, and fourth wall just so I could string together a bunch of Japanese words and phrases into what I wanted to tell Sakurai... and I used Google Translate to ensure the Japanese paragraphs were very close to what I wanted to say.

Next, I looked through custom NES sprite sheets and I found a huge sprite sheet for Duck Hunt Dog in Crusade. I copied and pasted them over and over... I cropped and pieced them over and over... all on MS Paint. I placed the Japanese text on these pictures... yes, I made the Duck Hunt Dog pictures in English and Japanese. I posted the English ones here on June 2012 but I sent the Japanese ones to Sakurai's Twitter on May 2012. I knew this was around the time Sakurai was deciding the roster and I had to try and plant the idea in Sakurai's mind.

This is one of the first pictures I sent to Sakurai's Twitter...

I also sent links to YouTube videos of Duck Hunt Dog in Crusade to Sakurai's Twitter because I was trying to nurture that idea I hopefully planted in Sakurai's mind. I stopped using Twitter on January 2013 because I have done everything I could do throughout 2012. I was spamming Sakurai's Twitter during the summer of 2012 because I knew it was the crucial time period where Sakurai was deciding the roster. I was desperate and I wanted to show Sakurai how interesting Duck Hunt Dog could be as a playable character in Smash.

Fast forward to August 2014, I was not expecting Duck Hunt Dog to be in Smash... I expected nothing like always... just like in Melee and Brawl where only the ducks got a trophy and a sticker. I was honestly expecting Takamaru to be the retro newcomer of SSB4 but I was surprised to see that he was an Assist Trophy! I lamented about who could be the retro newcomer if there's one. I didn't want to accept that Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man could be the retro newcomers of SSB4 even though they were some of my most wanted characters for SSB4. But then I heard about the Ninka/Vaanrose leak which claimed that Duck Hunt Dog is a newcomer...!

I was pleasantly surprised to see that people were starting to jump on the Duck Hunt Dog bandwagon and I thought it was because they really wanted a retro newcomer after Takamaru was deconfirmed. I was hesitant to believe in the leak 100% because it was too good to be true. Last night when I first saw the leaked picture of Duck Hunt Dog, I jokingly said that I was glad to see someone finally making a decent looking fake picture. But then I saw the duck!!! I was flabbergasted and confused... but then I saw the dog and the duck together and they looked so adorable together, I started to weep. I couldn't believe that this could actually be real! That it could be finally happening after 12 long years of flame wars and hard work... the feelings of happiness, vindication, and nostalgia... and now I'm hoping this is not a cruel hoax... I don't want to have false hope again, especially after what's happened to Toad... my body is not ready for the feels!
Wow! All those years... If I may be so bold Arcadenik, May I just say I also hope your efforts haven't been in vain! Dude, how awesome would it be if Sakurai actually used your concept of a moveset for DHD?! Do you know the biblical proportions of bragging rights you could get?!...You can go on ahead and pretty much yell at the top of your lungs, "I gave Sakurai the idea to get DHD in SSB4!!!" Also, I have to say this: DHD with that duck in the CSS leak looks so adorable and cute!:love: It almost makes you forget that you wanted DHD in SSB4 just so you can beat him up for all the years of laughing at you!:joyful:

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
If DHD gets in, wouldn't be the premier sandsack in Smash Training, considering how much he is hated for its laugh for its NES game?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Anyone else want to see Nintendo produce an animated series that parodies Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines, where Waluigi and Duck Hunt Dog chase after ducks instead of pigeons?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If DHD gets in, wouldn't be the premier sandsack in Smash Training, considering how much he is hated for its laugh for its NES game?
Oh absolutely, that's another one of the reasons why us supporters wanted him in so badly!! As you could imagine, that dog scarred us as children, we want our vengeance!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My mains will be:
DHD,Villager,Baby Bowser
Bowser Jr, not Baby Bowser.
Anyone else want to see Nintendo produce an animated series that parodies Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines, where Waluigi and Duck Hunt Dog chase after ducks instead of pigeons?
No, I don't.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
They could make Duck Hunts moveset more kid-friendly like they did with Snake in Brawl, Like how they make Snake use bombs instead of guns.
Oh, I'm not worried about guns. If they use the NES Zapper, everything will be fine. It kind of worries me as to why the game is more kid friendly.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm having a hard time picturing that version of the dog in the leak using the zapper. Actually, I'm wondering if he'll even stand on his hind legs and hold things in his hands... He's gotta, right? I mean, that's how he holds the ducks in the games, they wouldn't pass that up.

Reila

I think the Dog will walk on all fours.

I am curios about what the Duck does, since it appears together with the Dog in the render, I doubt it is only a small part of the Dog's moveset.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Didn't one of the leaks say that the duck sits or stands on the dogs back and that the dog will use it for various attacks?

If it sits on the dog's back, I would think the dog would mainly move on all fours, which... Is okay, but I would have been fine if he ran on his hind legs even, like in Duck Hunt Vs., and maybe walk or crawl on all fours instead, like in the intro for Duck Hunt.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well if he is Confirmed. Then this is our first RETRO Character I guess? Isn't Little Mac, Pac-Man and Megaman considered RETRO?

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Well if he is Confirmed. Then this is our first RETRO Character I guess? Isn't Little Mac, Pac-Man and Megaman considered RETRO?
they have recent games so no, thats how i view it.
i love the idea of him being on all 4s and i dont want him to use the zapper at all i just want him to be a dog doing dog **** <---- edit because apparently i should have used stuff there instead

Last edited:

classix410

Smash Cadet
Didn't one of the leaks say that the duck sits or stands on the dogs back and that the dog will use it for various attacks?

If it sits on the dog's back, I would think the dog would mainly move on all fours, which... Is okay, but I would have been fine if he ran on his hind legs even, like in Duck Hunt Vs., and maybe walk or crawl on all fours instead, like in the intro for Duck Hunt.
I was pondering this same topic, I could only speculate about this but maybe the duck hovers above him as depicted in the character select screen leak? He walks on all fours but his moves will require him to be on his hind legs???
speculation until sep 13th

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
why cant he just attack while on his 4 legs? he has a duck and teeth what more do you need

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
they have recent games so no, thats how i view it.
i love the idea of him being on all 4s and i dont want him to use the zapper at all i just want him to be a dog doing dog **** <---- edit because apparently i should have used stuff there instead
Oh, but he's such a cartoony dog, he doesn't need to be constrained to only doggy things. Although I would like to see a number of doggy things for him to do too.

And his most iconic pose is that of him standing up holding ducks around their necks, with his hands... That's definitely something a dog can't do.

Last edited:

Reila

I think it would be interesting to have a character walking on all fours, since Ivysaur was most likely cut.
Isn't Little Mac, Pac-Man and Megaman considered RETRO?
No.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Oh, but he's such a cartoony dog, he doesn't need to be constrained to only doggy things. Although I would like to see a number of doggy things for him to do too.

And his most iconic pose is that of him standing up holding ducks around their necks, with his hands... That's definitely something a dog can't do.
taunt maybe a down special, mainly i want him to run around chasing the duck and stuff and thats how his attacks work, like his main opponent is the duck but other fighters happen to get in his way

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The zapper having a different design in Japan (a more realistic gun design) may just be enough for Sakurai to not include the thing at all.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So, I just wanna say, if Duck Hunt is really in, I'm all for it. After really giving it some consideration and seeing the possible artwork for them, I have the faith to say that Sakurai is quite capable of making them really fun/funny. I was talking about this in the Official Character Thread, but I figured I would come here, too.

I can see them being a goofy, slap-stick duo with the duck functioning as a weapon/assistant to the dog, whom you directly control. The dog carries the duck in his mouth when he runs (on all fours), and swings it by the neck for standard attacks (and the duck honks and quacks on impact for the lulz and possibly to make it less grim). I envision the specials consisting of the duck trying to escape and the dog pursuing (recovery being the duck flying frantically with the dog hanging from its feet). As a whole, just a really funny pair.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
dhd will be one of my mains for smash with bowser mewtwo little mac greninja and pacman
Duck Hunt Dog will be my main. Even if he sucks, I'll still main him... it's a matter of principle... after all, I've been advocating for Duck Hunt Dog for 12 long years that it's kinda expected from me to main Duck Hunt Dog.

DoobieStories

Smash Cadet
So i Love the idea if this guy being in but ive pretty much accepted that the leak is fake. what do you guys think the chances of ducks and dog making it in?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So i Love the idea if this guy being in but ive pretty much accepted that the leak is fake. what do you guys think the chances of ducks and dog making it in?
Even if the leak is fake (and I hope it's real), I'm just happy that this thread is finally active and more people are suggesting new moveset ideas. I'm also happy to see people change their minds and support Duck Hunt Dog solely on a (hopefully not) fake leak. The idea is now planted in their minds... and hopefully more people will be supporting for Duck Hunt Dog in SSB5.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
The leak is most definitely fake, but DHD could still be in. I honestly would like to see DHD in smash 4, but imo, his chances are very slim.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I think Im staying on team DHD even after the leak is deconfirmed (Im still 60/40 on real vs fake, so shaky). But at least the dawg CSS opened my mind to the idea and now I can't help but loving it. Probably moved to 3rd on my top 5 wanted characters.
I still find it curious how I hated the Gematsu leak, but this leak I accepted it pretty early despite being pretty similar. I guess that I really never liked the Chorus Kids idea.

Top Bottom