• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I picture the Dog and Hunter's relationship as a team. Think about it. The dog scares the ducks out, allowing you to shoot them, and if you miss, he lightly teases you. So my ideal moveset would have the target aiming thing following DHD at all times, and for most of DHD's standard attacks, the invisible hunter shoots.

For example, for DHD's forward tilt, instead of the dog scratching or something, it would be the aiming thing moving in front of DHD and shooting.
I also think DHD could use ducks for some of his attacks.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
As a DK fan, I'm very much not satisfied by the leak, but on the other hand, I've been a massive Duck Hunt dog supporter since basically forever... So it's a hard trade-off for me. And I'm not sure if it's worth it... I know, I know, the Duck Hunt Dog, but man, I really really love the DKC series and would be extremely upset if neither Dixie or K. Rool show up.

Win some you lose some. And I suppose with how unpopular and how ridiculous the Duck Hunt dog is, I'd consider it a pretty massive win.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Should DHD have a voice? Being a toon, it would make sense foe him to have a human-like vouce. I was thinking something like in ColledgeHumor's "Duck Hunt: Behind the Scenes".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJk9E-YJXZ

He's an older, bigger dog, so he'd have a deeper voice like that. :p
I'd like him to use the same voice from the NES game. I also want all of the 8-bit sound effects like the dog barking and laughing, the ducks quacking, the NES Zapper clicking, and the clay pigeons flying... I want the whole retro experience for maximum nostalgia!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd like him to use the same voice from the NES game. I also want all of the 8-bit sound effects like the dog barking and laughing, the ducks quacking, the NES Zapper clicking, and the clay pigeons flying... I want the whole retro experience for maximum nostalgia!
I'd honestly rather see him with updated sound clips that mimic the 8-bit sounds despite updating them.

If you don't get what I mean, listen to Pokemon X and Y's cries for Gen 1 Pokemon.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh yeah, when it comes to the voice, the laugh needs to be perfect. If it isn't 8-bit I don't know how they'd be able to replicate it, it's such a classic and iconic sound, he can't mess that up!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I picture the Dog and Hunter's relationship as a team. Think about it. The dog scares the ducks out, allowing you to shoot them, and if you miss, he lightly teases you. So my ideal moveset would have the target aiming thing following DHD at all times, and for most of DHD's standard attacks, the invisible hunter shoots.

For example, for DHD's forward tilt, instead of the dog scratching or something, it would be the aiming thing moving in front of DHD and shooting.
I also think DHD could use ducks for some of his attacks.
So it is like Duck Hunt Dog fights by hunting ducks... kinda like how Wii Fit Trainer fights by exercising, right?

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Hey guys, sorry to rain on your parade
http://m.imgur.com/r/smashbros/LFXxnaT
The duck hunt dog render was an edit if this old thing.
Also, shulks face was proven to be an altered little Mac.
It was already a pretty obvious fake, though. So no surprise.
Mmm that image looks even more fake than the leaked roster pictures. And it wouldn't be a surprise that someone just made this in an attempt to disprove the leak. So, unless anyone has a source of the image, it holds no conclusive results yet.

Btw I hope DHD gets a black and white alt color so I can play with my border collie :p.

SmashLover777

Smash Cadet
NNID
Starfy324
I would support this character all the way! He is on my Top 10 list and could have a unique moveset utilizing things like Ducks, the NES Zapper and Clay Disks. Plus here is a good reason why he could be in.

Sakurai likes playing jokes to people while as the Duck Hunt Dog is a original troll.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So it is like Duck Hunt Dog fights by hunting ducks... kinda like how Wii Fit Trainer fights by exercising, right?
Well, you could put it that way. I see it more as a Duck Hunt Dog + Hunter team. However, the Hunter isn't on the screen. All you can see is him pointing the gun at the screen. And the hunter wouldn't do all the attacks. The dog would still do some.

Jordo

Smash Apprentice
This image can't be found anywhere else outside of that reddit thread. Someone took the leaked image and tricked it, probably just for an excuse to make people cry foul. Just like the fellow ahead of me suggested.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yep. IF the image you leaked wasn't obviously a poor attempt at making the leaked image look fake. I mean hell, it's even obviously shopped and lower quality. It was a good try, though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
C'mon thread, pull a #MondadoMonday and garnish more supporters!

Maybe now everyone will realize what I, and others, have commented on about the dog being the replacement for Banjo Kazooie.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
The leak got me in a Duck Hunt Doggy mood, so I wanted to look up some fan art. But since U and I are next to each other on the keyboard, I accidentally wrote...you know. Good thing I noticed before pressing Enter! :p

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Maybe now everyone will realize what I, and others, have commented on about the dog being the replacement for Banjo Kazooie.
How silly that I'm not the only one that had that thought cross his mind. Imagine if Nintendo/Retro made a 3D platformer with Duck Hunt Dog after his SSB4 popularity spike. Gotta make up a lot of background story for a simple dog though.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
How silly that I'm not the only one that had that thought cross his mind. Imagine if Nintendo/Retro made a 3D platformer with Duck Hunt Dog after his SSB4 popularity spike. Gotta make up a lot of background story for a simple dog though.
Or he could just not have one like most Nintendo characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hmmm... I think a dog with that much animosity towards people, and intelligence to laugh and understand a situation so precisely, lends itself to quite a story.

I'd buy it out of sheer principle.

And then I'd make you buy it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Short version: tears of joy... feelings of happiness, vindication, and nostalgia... hoping this is 100% real and all my efforts were not in vain

Long version: When I first saw the leak last night, I was literally crying tears of joy for about 10 minutes or so... I never expected this to actually happen for real. I knew it was a dream... a long shot... and I was stubborn to listen to the haters and I had to read all the venom they spewed about me and about Duck Hunt Dog for years. I read them so I'd come up with counter arguments and they all said it's never happening and whatever I had to say to defend Duck Hunt Dog will be in vain.

People told me he had no moves because all he does is laugh and point. I scrapped my original moveset I had on Nsider and NinDB and I spitefully made a new moveset where he literally laughs and points to fight. That's when I had an eureka moment... so I refined that spiteful moveset into the current one where Duck Hunt Dog's moveset is a parody of the gameplay mechanics of Duck Hunt itself. With the hunter shooting from the fourth wall concept, it's almost as if you're playing Duck Hunt itself to fight.

I knew I had to do something to get Sakurai's attention... I realized I was barking up the wrong tree... that I shouldn't have to work so hard to sell the Duck Hunt Dog idea to anonymous forum members since they aren't the ones making the game... I should sell the idea to Sakurai because he's the one making the game. I created a Twitter account just so I could try to contact Sakurai directly. I wrote messages in English and then I looked through the Japanese websites for Melee and Brawl AND the Japanese Wikipedia articles on Duck Hunt, NES Zapper, hunting dogs, clay shooting, ducks, and fourth wall just so I could string together a bunch of Japanese words and phrases into what I wanted to tell Sakurai... and I used Google Translate to ensure the Japanese paragraphs were very close to what I wanted to say.

Next, I looked through custom NES sprite sheets and I found a huge sprite sheet for Duck Hunt Dog in Crusade. I copied and pasted them over and over... I cropped and pieced them over and over... all on MS Paint. I placed the Japanese text on these pictures... yes, I made the Duck Hunt Dog pictures in English and Japanese. I posted the English ones here on June 2012 but I sent the Japanese ones to Sakurai's Twitter on May 2012. I knew this was around the time Sakurai was deciding the roster and I had to try and plant the idea in Sakurai's mind.

This is one of the first pictures I sent to Sakurai's Twitter...

I also sent links to YouTube videos of Duck Hunt Dog in Crusade to Sakurai's Twitter because I was trying to nurture that idea I hopefully planted in Sakurai's mind. I stopped using Twitter on January 2013 because I have done everything I could do throughout 2012. I was spamming Sakurai's Twitter during the summer of 2012 because I knew it was the crucial time period where Sakurai was deciding the roster. I was desperate and I wanted to show Sakurai how interesting Duck Hunt Dog could be as a playable character in Smash.

Fast forward to August 2014, I was not expecting Duck Hunt Dog to be in Smash... I expected nothing like always... just like in Melee and Brawl where only the ducks got a trophy and a sticker. I was honestly expecting Takamaru to be the retro newcomer of SSB4 but I was surprised to see that he was an Assist Trophy! I lamented about who could be the retro newcomer if there's one. I didn't want to accept that Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man could be the retro newcomers of SSB4 even though they were some of my most wanted characters for SSB4. But then I heard about the Ninka/Vaanrose leak which claimed that Duck Hunt Dog is a newcomer...!

I was pleasantly surprised to see that people were starting to jump on the Duck Hunt Dog bandwagon and I thought it was because they really wanted a retro newcomer after Takamaru was deconfirmed. I was hesitant to believe in the leak 100% because it was too good to be true. Last night when I first saw the leaked picture of Duck Hunt Dog, I jokingly said that I was glad to see someone finally making a decent looking fake picture. But then I saw the duck!!! I was flabbergasted and confused... but then I saw the dog and the duck together and they looked so adorable together, I started to weep. I couldn't believe that this could actually be real! That it could be finally happening after 12 long years of flame wars and hard work... the feelings of happiness, vindication, and nostalgia... and now I'm hoping this is not a cruel hoax... I don't want to have false hope again, especially after what's happened to Toad... my body is not ready for the feels!
If Duck Hunt Dog turns out to be playable, you deserve the biggest "I told you so" medal the internet has ever seen. I still remember you advocating for him at Nsider. That was a long time ago.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are certain detractors I am itching to say "I told you so!" to if Duck Hunt Dog is confirmed...

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Welp, there you have it. Also add me to the supporters list. When I first saw the roster I didn't believe it due to the roster choice and some cuts...until I saw that Duck Hunt Dog and Duck. I mean come on look at that beautiful render and it fits with the art style. The name also convinced me more due to the dog and the duck represent the game together so naming their tag team off of the game title sounds more appropriate than calling them Dog & Duck or Duck Hunt Dog if the Duck is going to play a tag team role with their move set like Rosalina & Luma.

DHD was pretty fun to play with in Smash Bros Crusade so that also made me interested of seeing him and a duck or two have their 3d debut in smash 4. I just hope that pic isn't showing the final roster and we get at least 4 more characters to unlock (the character selection is still not categorized right with Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit separated from their respected series, which has always been a thing with the roster since Melee). I don't know why Sakurai would cut Wolf and leave Falco considering Sakurai wanted Wolf in Smash since Melee and finally got to add him in Brawl. He may just be an unlockable again if this leak is 100% real. I would also get Doctor Mario back so that's a plus for me.

Now we need a Banjo & Kazooie color alt.
The ducks made their 3D debut in Melee.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I never cared to much for DHD before the leak, but the more I think about how he might play the more I like the idea of him being in the game. I know it's late in the game, but this leak has given me hope...!

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
You can trace almost every pictures origins with three simple clicks. This one was put on the internet the day after the leak. You posted a fake of a possible fake.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I remember back in 2005, I found this site called smashbrothersonline.com created by some dude named JoshCube. On it was a giant character suggestion page, and one of the characters was "Laughing Dog", aka the Duck Hunt Dog. That was my first exposure to him (too young to have known Duck Hunt), and I thought it was a crazy yet possible idea. I mildly supported him for Brawl and later for Smash 4, but I never took his chances seriously.

And now oh boy, look where we're at now. I would love him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Dog's render is soooooo cute in the CSS. He looks like a cereal mascot almost. :laugh:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It is really good to see Arcadenik happy.

Now if Impa gets in? Imagine Diddy Kong. :laugh:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt Dog's render does look gorgeous!

Just dropping in to say that I'm very happy for all you Duck Hunt Dog fans! I've seen many of you (especially Arcadenik) try so very hard to support this character and I say you all got a well earned victory if this leak is true. ^_^

Imo, I feel this leak is the real thing. Things like Dark Pit are leaving a sour taste in my mouth, but seeing classic characters such as the DHD in a new look puts a smile on my face.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Dark Pit is no different from getting Falco/Young Link in Melee, so I am not sure why people are making such a big deal about it. Dark Pit is just a quick character added to the roster to make it bigger and it is also a fanservice for the fans of the character (in case you didn't know, Dark Pit is actually quite popular). I am happy for the newcomers, Dark Pit being a clone is irrelevant to me.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
3DS Roster.png

This is what I think, I think the leak was incomplete, especially with the clone placement and how likely Rids and a RH rep are.

BTW, I believe the leak and support the dog.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I remember back in 2005, I found this site called smashbrothersonline.com created by some dude named JoshCube. On it was a giant character suggestion page, and one of the characters was "Laughing Dog", aka the Duck Hunt Dog. That was my first exposure to him (too young to have known Duck Hunt), and I thought it was a crazy yet possible idea. I mildly supported him for Brawl and later for Smash 4, but I never took his chances seriously.

And now oh boy, look where we're at now. I would love him.
OMG I remember that page! Bone Bash? Ehhh... what was I thinking?

Top Bottom