• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Quick, post your reaction when Duck Hunt got confirmed!

Exegguter

Smash Lord
MY ***** DUCK HUNT DOG IS GOING TO GET IN AWWWWWWWWWW YEHHHHHHHHHH.

At least 1 of my 3 characters will make it. I only need Ridley now

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
OMG I never supported him, but now I fell in love! I have a change of heart! I love the Dog's expression!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh damn! This article linked to this support thread! They even called me a "designer". I feel so special! :awesome:

For The First Time In 20 Years, Nintendo Could Be Bringing Back The Infamous Dog From 'Duck Hunt'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/super-smash-bros-3ds-and-wii-u-roster-leaks-2014-8#ixzz3BQQmsSa2

YouTube

Remember him?

For the first time in 20 years, the infamous dog from Nintendo's hit game "Duck Hunt" could be making a comeback.

Nintendo

An updated version of what appears to be the same "Duck Hunt" dog was spotted on anonymous message board 4chan. The 4chan member uploaded multiple screenshots of a game that could be Nintendo's upcoming “Super Smash Bros." for 3DS.

The latest chapter of "Super Smash Bros.", which is one of Nintendo's best-selling and critically-acclaimed franchises, will be released on Nintendo’s handheld console on October 3 and later for Wii U. (NeoGAF compiled the leaked screenshots, which we found through Kotaku’s Jason Schreier).

The Smash Bros. list of characters is typically hard to come by before launch. But the tipster posted this screenshot of 48 characters, including the Duck Hunt dog:

SPOILER ALERT! If you don't want to know which secret characters might appear in the next big crossover brawler for 3DS and Wii U, you should stop reading. Maybe read some other Business Insider stories.)

4chan

You can see most of the familiar faces, including Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Princess Zelda, Samus, Fox McCloud, Kirby, and others.

But there are plenty of other new additions to this list: Nintendo previously unveiled Pac-Man and the Wii Fit Trainer as additions to the roster, but this alleged screenshot also reveals Bowser Jr. and Shulk from “Xenoblade.”

For those that never played "Duck Hunt," that iconic Nintendo game from the mid-80s that let you shoot ducks on your TV screen with a light gun called the NES Zapper. This dog was typically called the "Laughing Dog" as he would laugh at the player whenever he or she failed to shoot down all of the ducks on the screen. IGN called the Laughing Dog "one of the most annoying video game characters ever," thanks to its perceived smugness gamers "love to hate."

Nintendo

The Laughing Dog from 'Duck Hunt'

The dog only made one other appearance in a video game released in 1990, "Barker Bill's Trick Shooting." That was another NES game that used the zapper.

Here's the dog in that game:

i-mockery.com

Laughing Dog aside, some fans noticed how characters from previous “Smash Bros.” titles were left off the roster. The original 4chan poster says those characters, like Ice Climbers Snake from “Metal Gear Solid," will be made available at a later date through a downloadable content (DLC) package.

If Duck Hunt Dog is included in the game, one designer mocked up how he could be played in Smash.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/super-smash-bros-3ds-and-wii-u-roster-leaks-2014-8#ixzz3BQQzA2z4

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why hasn't anyone upload DHD videos??? I neeeeeeeed it!!!!!

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Well, congratulations you guys C:
Duck hunt has pretty good nostalgia to me, so I'm pretty curious as to how he's going to play. Too bad they never uploaded any gameplay footage of him ^^;

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Like I said at the beginning of this thread before. I would be more than happy if his moveset is identical to his smash bros. crusade moveset. I mained him there and ****ing loved him!!

I'm so happy yo rofl. My characters never make the cut I'm always a sore supporter but this is great.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Duck Hunt are my new favorite dog and duck. Sorry Missile, you've been replaced as the cutest dog.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations! Mr. PeepersDuck Hunt Dog looks really nice! He will surely be a worthy substitute of Banjo and Kazooie! (well, supposing he uses ducks to attack or has that pink duck as a partner)

Last edited:

Reila

Mr. Peepers is not the dog's name, though...

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, as much as I loved Duck Hunt I didn't think the dog was likely to be made playable in a Smash Bros game, I honestly thought the Excitebiker would make it in before the Duck Hunt Dog, however after being assured that the leak is true, as a dude who spent hours as a kid playing Duck Hunt with my cousins and sisters, the Duck Hunt Dog gets my hype through childhood memories alone.

That said, his character art for when he gets revealed totally needs to be a reference to the cartrage compilation that came with both Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros.

Oh and of course, that iconic pity laugh is gonna rival Peach's little dance taunt because we KNOW that's gonna be a taunt and maybe a victory voice clip.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Really? Well, he's Mr. Peepers to me anyways, I like that name for him.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am getting worried. Where are the damn DHD videos?!?!
He probably wasn't a part of the gameplay montage. The ESRB doesn't need to see every character in action unless there is a character that might marginally impact the rating. I don't think there's any reason to worry about DHD's presence in the game. He's playable. Rejoice. Go have a drink, or rub all your adversaries face's in the mud.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
This joker's easily going to be one of top characters.

I'm glad there hasn't been gameplay footage on him, too. It gives us something to look forward to! :D

Obviously I wouldn't complain if we did get some earlier than the Japanese release, though. ;P

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
A few months ago I posted on "rate their chances" that Duck Hunt Dog was the most overrated character and that Sakurai wouldn't even consider him.

I'm posting here to apologize. I call dibs on making the DHD "I was wrong" thread.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I supported him so much, it would feel wrong not to try and main him.

I'm still kind of relieved we haven't seen footage. I know he's in, that's good enough for me. I want Sakurai to reveal him officially, I want that official excitement of seeing things we haven't seen before, as they were planned to be unveiled to us.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I supported him so much, it would feel wrong not to try and main him.

I'm still kind of relieved we haven't seen footage. I know he's in, that's good enough for me. I want Sakurai to reveal him officially, I want that official excitement of seeing things we haven't seen before, as they were planned to be unveiled to us.
Yeah I agree, though honestly even if we did see footage of him before the official announcement I'd still be curious to see how his trailer would go, maybe have Pit, Charizard and Meta Knight having a battle in the sky and then all of a sudden the DHD shoots them down with the NES zapper and laughs at them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Do you guys think his moveset will include some form of Clay Shooter? It was part of his game after all. And dogs love their frisbees. :3

Zapper would be a NEAT Neutral Special. As in hold B to maneuver a recticle, and BAM!
Then again, it's also final smash material.

I take it we'll also see different colored ducks. Knowing Sakurai, red ducks will deal fire damage . XD (Although in truth they should be really fast).

Reila

We don't know if the Dog will use the Duck in its moveset or if they are both equal parts of the character. Lets wait and see how they play.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Anyone ever played the Smash Bros Crusade fan game? Cause the DHD was in that and he had moves like shooting two NES zappers at once, grabbing onto the legs of two flying ducks for his recovery, and I believe he even tossed ducks at enemies.

D

Deleted member

Yes! Even though I didn't get the majority of characters I wanted, I got this guy. And Bowser Jr./Dark Pit!

"didn't get the majority of characters I wanted"
Sakurai: *La-
Duck Hunt Dog: *Laughs*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A few months ago I posted on "rate their chances" that Duck Hunt Dog was the most overrated character and that Sakurai wouldn't even consider him.

I'm posting here to apologize. I call dibs on making the DHD "I was wrong" thread.
Oh no. No, no, no... you are not. I am calling dibs on that thread. :awesome:

rub all your adversaries face's in the mud.
Oh, trust me... I will be rubbing them in the "I was wrong!" thread at the Duck Hunt sub-board. Out of all the newcomers, that dog really deserves that thread! A certain detractor said Duck Hunt Dog is not getting in because:
  1. DHD has nothing from Duck Hunt so all of his moves have to be made up
  2. there are many other retro characters who are more interesting and unique than DHD (e.g. Mach Rider, Takamaru, Muddy Mole, Mike Jones, Prince of Sable) how ironic :smirk:
  3. there are better characters if we are going to 100% make up a moveset
  4. Sakurai already has a retro Famicom character (Ice Climbers) funny how things worked out :troll:
  5. no one cares about DHD (he also said DHD isn't popular since too few people voted for DHD in this poll)
  6. DHD has never even been referenced in a Smash game (no trophy, no sticker, no Assist Trophy)
Source (wow, if you scroll further down you can see that I actually predicted that DHD's name would be "Duck Hunt" and this was back in May 2012)

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I think this goes to show that being a gaming icon or being from an iconic game/franchise really does do a lot for getting you in as a playable character.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hahahaha SmashChu, why am I not surprised he was the one making that comment?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
It'd be terrible if the footage we got earlier was all we get from now until the 13th, meaning two and a half agonizing weeks of knowing the character's in the game but not seeing it.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Arcadenik, you think the pictures you sent to Sakurai had anything to do with it? This is so awesome :colorful:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Arcadenik, you think the pictures you sent to Sakurai had anything to do with it? This is so awesome :colorful:
Maybe... who knows?

This is the tweet I sent to Sakurai's Twitter on January 2012.
Mr.ゲーム&ウォッチ、アイスクライマー、ロボット...とカモ&猟犬?なぜカモ&猟犬を要望だの?まず、ファミコン光線銃シリーズのキャラクターから代表して1つ出そう。なら、ダックハント遊んでもじって猟犬カモ撃ちとクレー射撃行くのも面白そうだと思い。(笑)
Here, I was telling Sakurai that I wanted a NES Zapper rep and I suggested "Duck & Hound" to be the new retro character after Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. and it would be interesting if they were parodying Duck Hunt (the NES game) with shooting ducks and clay pigeons. I have no idea if Sakurai actually saw this, let alone understood it.

I spent months making the DHD moveset pictures you see on the OP... and I also made them in Japanese and I sent those to Sakurai on May 2012.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would love it if the PotD with Duck Hunt in it mentioned "a fan gave me an extraordinary idea for this character, and I was very pleased to follow up with this unique request…"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@vaanrose It is really interesting that the leaked pic of "Duck Hunt" has a purple-headed duck... just like your DHD model in my current avatar... instead of the green-headed duck in both Japanese and American box arts, Melee trophy, and Brawl sticker. What do you think?

Top Bottom