• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Doctor Is In the House!" - Dr. Mario Returns Again!

Will this Mario brother renew his licence?

• Don't know...

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • He'll come back.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Easy clone, so not out of the question.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Ehh..............

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't count on it.

• Want to, but probably won't.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Prefer not, but it can happen.

• Just make him an alternate costume and call it a day.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Please buff him.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Dr. Mario got equipement again.
He is now:
- 71th in Run Speed below Zelda (Mario is 32-35)
- 62th in Walk Speed below Peach/Daisy (Mario is 34-36)
- 70th in Air Speed below Link/Diddy (Mario is 12-16)
- 27-29th in Weight like Mario

godogod

Smash Ace
what did you ask him?
Asked about his true values for dash and air speed.

Dr. Mario got equipement again.
He is now:
- 71th in Run Speed below Zelda (Mario is 32-35)
- 62th in Walk Speed below Peach/Daisy (Mario is 34-36)
- 70th in Air Speed below Link/Diddy (Mario is 12-16)
- 27-29th in Weight like Mario
fml. 5% dash speed and a slight nerf in air speed. The dash speed might as well be a nerf still since almost every other character got 10%. Despite his buffs in damage, I don't see his position changing much in the tier list.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Asked about his true values for dash and air speed.

fml. 5% dash speed and a slight nerf in air speed. The dash speed might as well be a nerf still since almost every other character got 10%. Despite his buffs in damage, I don't see his position changing much in the tier list.
A speed buff was never going to happen in any significant degree as long as Mario exists. More power is thus the only recourse. The new Megavitamin in particular is a gamechanger, taking his zoning from merely annoying to a serious threat with it's combo starting potential.

godogod

Smash Ace
A speed buff was never going to happen in any significant degree as long as Mario exists. More power is thus the only recourse. The new Megavitamin in particular is a gamechanger, taking his zoning from merely annoying to a serious threat with it's combo starting potential.
If he can chase his opponent...

Mario still has better combo options, recovery, and significantly better ground and air speed. The Power the Dr Mario has over Mario isn't very significant.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If he can chase his opponent...

Mario still has better combo options, recovery, and significantly better ground and air speed. The Power the Dr Mario has over Mario isn't very significant.
You say that, but when I look at the changes for Mario he has lost his biggest combo starters going from 4 to Ultimate. And while I'm fairly sure he'll find new ones over time in this engine, I very much doubt they will ever be as long or guaranteed as dthrow-utilt-utilt-utilt-uair-uair-uair. Meanwhile Doc is doing just as much if not more damage with simple two-to-three hit combos that Mario does with five, and with less DI to worry about. Finally, I must repeat, he can start good combos off of his pills, so he does not necessarily have to chase his opponent as much to get good damage.

Mario will still have the better neutral and disadvantage, but Doc is looking to have the reward to make him a higher-risk higher reward version of Mario.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
To those who have been able to play Ultimate, how are you guys liking Doc compared to SSB4?

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
To those who have been able to play Ultimate, how are you guys liking Doc compared to SSB4?
So, as a Mario player in SSB4, I’m liking the Doctor more than the regular Mario. The spike is super strong, and uthrow-dair seems true at lower percents (similar to Mario) and a 50-50 at higher percents, given you read your opponent’s DI correctly. Dthrow-uair is still a thing for him, and his cyclone kills earlier and does more damage overall (I’m not sure about how far it goes up if you mash it, though - I am a terrible masher). Up smash sends at a much better angle as well, making it kill earlier. Overall, he seems much better than his Smash 4 edition.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So, as a Mario player in SSB4, I’m liking the Doctor more than the regular Mario. The spike is super strong, and uthrow-dair seems true at lower percents (similar to Mario) and a 50-50 at higher percents, given you read your opponent’s DI correctly. Dthrow-uair is still a thing for him, and his cyclone kills earlier and does more damage overall (I’m not sure about how far it goes up if you mash it, though - I am a terrible masher). Up smash sends at a much better angle as well, making it kill earlier. Overall, he seems much better than his Smash 4 edition.
That's great to hear! I can't wait to use him when I get Ultimate next week.

Oh yeah also here's Boss using Doc. Even the commentators think he is the best of the Mario brother trio.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I think doc’s combo game is severely unexplored as of right now. While he doesnt have very lengthy combos his combos usually do upwards of 40% or more

ArchineerLock

Smash Rookie
After playing both characters, I legitimately think that Doc is the best Mario brother. He just feels better. His down-special is now a viable recovery move without excessive mashing, a lot more moves combo into Fair. I was initially disappointed in the loss of dair as it was a great get up move, but his d-special is just so much better now.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
It’s not true at all, and probably only works on some characters, but I just did a combo that does 55% and kills at the ledge. Dthrow, shorthop uair, double jump nair, then forward smash when you land. Also, down throw can combo into down-b for a kill confirm. This character is looking very good, although personally I have had a lot of trouble against heavies like Bowser or KKR.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doctor Mario's archetype has been designed and rewarded properly in this game. His damage values are ABSOLUTELY crazy and the mobility increases, slight as they are, do help. The increased freedom out of run helps him immensely and new Pill is INCREDIBLY threatening at any % due to its set knockback and buffed FAF and damage.

He will still have his bad matchups for sure, but as a character he functions MILES better than he used to, and he's STUPID fun now.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Is it me or does Doc's up-tilt have horrible horizontal range? I'll sometimes use it on someone next to me and my fist will go through them.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me if D-Throw -> hop -> Up-B is a true combo at low percents?
Can't train with DI because I only have one controller.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Why do you think Doc loses solidly to the small Links? I would put them at slight to even.
Their high mobility doesn't make it hard for them to keep him out and slowly chip away at him.
Doesn't help that they have good frame data for swordies.

Though I am curious to see your MU chart.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Their high mobility doesn't make it hard for them to keep him out and slowly chip away at him.
Doesn't help that they have good frame data for swordies.

Though I am curious to see your MU chart.
I only just picked up Doc about a month ago. I doubt I’ve even fought half of the roster with the good doctor, but if I were to make one chances are it would look somewhat similar to yours.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The latest patch was very generous to Doc. He got a lot of good buffs like stronger up-B as well as some longer lasting hitboxes.

GhostM

Phantom
Is it me or does Doc's up-tilt have horrible horizontal range? I'll sometimes use it on someone next to me and my fist will go through them.
Yeah it's because they decided to change the properties of utilt as an anti-aerial. In SSB4, there are frames where utilt's hitboxes are active before Doc's arm extends all the way which gives up tilt slightly better horizontal range, something that is not present in Doc's utilt in Ultimate. The same thing goes for Melee, which actually makes the utilt connect better when using it on the ground.
actualmeleeutilt.gif
actualssb4utilt.gif

And then theres Doc's uptilt in Ultimate. Although it comes out faster in Ultimate than it does in both Melee and SSB4, the hitboxes that are active before Doc extends his arm all the way are gone, which is why you'll miss sometimes. You have to be right up close in order for it to hit, but previous installments made it at least so it had some horizontal range on the ground.
actualultimateutilt.gif

Also kind of sucks that you can't really do uair -> utilt fluently anymore. Works quite well in both Melee and SSB4 to rack up %, although most people in SSB4 would do uair -> regrab.

Top Bottom