• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Doctor Is In the House!" - Dr. Mario Returns Again!

Will this Mario brother renew his licence?

• Don't know...

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • He'll come back.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Easy clone, so not out of the question.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Ehh..............

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't count on it.

• Want to, but probably won't.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Prefer not, but it can happen.

• Just make him an alternate costume and call it a day.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Please buff him.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
It’s worth noting that Doc wasn’t considered an “echo” character in the presentation, which may mean that they have plans to Luigify him like they did to Roy.
He was ALREADY Luigified in SSB4, Because He was Slower & Hit Harder than Regular Mario; Unlike in Melee, where he was basically the same as a clone!!

He was ALREADY Luigified in SSB4, Because He was Slower & Hit Harder than Regular Mario; Unlike in Melee, where he was basically the same as a clone!!
If the 22 second video montage of Doc uploaded on the website is any indication, he seems to have a new down air. (Though it was already different from Mario's anyways)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Okay but that Down Air though
1528847867780.png

Look at this ****in beautiful boi. He's just going ham he doesn't care about of that spinning bull****. This the Ganon boi. He knows where his boot is going, and it's going straight into your ass through the head.
God damn mother ****ing Dr. Disrespect going all up in the place.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I’m not sure if I would consider Smash 4 Doc Luigified. He was still a clone, although he was without a doubt the least egregious one.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I’m not sure if I would consider Smash 4 Doc Luigified. He was still a clone, although he was without a doubt the least egregious one.
I Have 2 things to say:
A. What does Egregious mean?
B. He Still had enough to Differentiate him from a Mere Clone/Echo Fighter; Case in Point:
1. moves Slower
2. Hits harder
3. Less of an Air-Fighter
4. Different Special Moves[Kept the Doctor Tornado, whilst Mario instead equipped the Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device(aka F.L.U.D.D) instead; Uses Pills instead of Fireballs, which even applies to his Final Smash]

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 147963

Look at this ****in beautiful boi. He's just going ham he doesn't care about of that spinning bull****. This the Ganon boi. He knows where his boot is going, and it's going straight into your *** through the head.
This is EVEN Better than What they did in SSB4 to make him different(which still Worked BTW)!!!

D

Deleted member

View attachment 147963

Look at this ****in beautiful boi. He's just going ham he doesn't care about of that spinning bull****. This the Ganon boi. He knows where his boot is going, and it's going straight into your *** through the head.
I'm feeling ill... And the only prescription,
IS MORE D-AIRS

Folt

Smash Ace
It will never not be funny to me how Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu are now separate fighters while Lucina and Dark Pit (and Daisy) must now share their roster spots with their parent characters.

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
THAT DAIR LOOKS SO SATISFYING

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I always prefered Doc over the OG. Good to see that they're diversifying him just a bit more.

Quillion

Smash Hero
View attachment 147963

I love how it's Dr. Mario, and not Mario nor Luigi, who has Mario's perennial Goomba Stomp move.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I always prefered Doc over the OG. Good to see that they're diversifying him just a bit more.
Well He WAS Diverse in SSB4, as far as making him Slower, hitting Harder, keeping the Doctor Tornado, Changing the Final Smash(which wasn't even possible when Dr. Mario was in Project M); I Agree, he's even MORE Diverse in SSB Ultimate, with a different Down Air

godogod

Smash Ace
I really really hated the movement speed nerf. It wasn't needed and I hope he gets his melee speed back or faster than Mario. He already suffers from a worse recovery, shorter reach, and less combo potential from Mario in sm4sh. Would be nice if they improved his recovery some way too, or make all of his tilts, smashes, aerial and special attacks stronger than Mario for sure.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
It will never not be funny to me how Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu are now separate fighters while Lucina and Dark Pit (and Daisy) must now share their roster spots with their parent characters.
that's not the case, those three characters all have different slots based on jargon the website. When Sakurai mentions unlocking cahracters, you can also see Lucina's icon as a selectable character.

Regarding the doc, he really is coming into his own, I love the Dair. I hope some of the other melee clones get more moves to differentiate them from their parents.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Note: I'm going to be added any new info on Doc's development through the OP in the future.

If you notice any brand-new additions to Doc, feel free to post them and the source.
(I'll be sure to credit you)

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
that's not the case, those three characters all have different slots based on jargon the website. When Sakurai mentions unlocking cahracters, you can also see Lucina's icon as a selectable character.

Regarding the doc, he really is coming into his own, I love the Dair. I hope some of the other melee clones get more moves to differentiate them from their parents.
Yeah. I might be wrong about that.

All the same, Doc gets his own number and is treated as more of a standalone from Mario, while those three don't and get treated as "echo fighters".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The classic Drill kick is finally dead but now Doc can finally meteor people!

Also, if you compare Mario's bit in the reveal with Luigi's character trailer, the two have new and different cape animations.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I hope he gets his melee speed back.
As much as I would LOVE for him to be a non-heavy weight character myself like back in the day, I don't think his speed's gonna change anytime soon, sadly. :(

Even if he gets his good old speed back, I think that'll just give some people more reason to be like, "Doc should of been labeled as an echo." or "He should of been a alt skin for Mario.", which is getting old and it shouldn't even matter that much.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
In Melee he already had different stats to Mario (running speed, weight, jump heights, knock back, damage %, hitboxes, frame data, etc.). The other clones like Falco, Ganondorf, Pichu and Roy did as well.

Clones just have mostly the same moves, but all the stats (both of the character and the move can be different).

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Dr._Mario_(SSBM)#Differences_with_Mario

Last edited:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
In Melee he already had different stats to Mario (running speed, weight, jump heights, knock back, damage %, hitboxes, frame data, etc.). The other clones like Falco, Ganondorf, Pichu and Roy did as well.

Clones just have mostly the same moves, but all the stats (both of the character and the move can be different).

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Dr._Mario_(SSBM)#Differences_with_Mario
Well, to be fair, the differences between Melee's Mario and Doc ain't exactly all too... dramatic compared to Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate's versions.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Well, to be fair, the differences between Melee's Mario and Doc ain't exactly all too... dramatic compared to Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate's versions.
There's still way more information to desire concerning Ultimate Doc.
Right now, I just noticed his Full Hop height is the same as Mario's in his trailer. (Could be temp)

I'm hoping his moves are way more threatening overall.
Like around Falcon level of damage output.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
There's still way more information to desire concerning Ultimate Doc.
Right now, I just noticed his Full Hop height is the same as Mario's in his trailer. (Could be temp)

I'm hoping his moves are way more threatening overall.
Like around Falcon level of damage output.
Shoot, I know. And Imma looking forward to finding out more about how far they went to change up Doc in Smash Ultimate, outside the things we already know about him so far.

Also, same full hop as Mario's?? Dats really good for him the recovery department.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Can't wait to try out this version of Doc. In SSB4, I play as him more than Regular Mario. The only thing I wish could be changed would be Doctor Finale. I would have the pills falling vertically like in the original game. I would have had a cinematic FS where he traps his opponents in a bottle and pills rain down upon them.

godogod

Smash Ace
dr mario had a faster air speed and was heavier. Same dash speed. Couldn't wall jump and had a larger hurt box(according to smash wiki). It's really dissaspointing dr mario is slower than mario in ssb4. Hopefully he gets the same dash speed.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
dr mario had a faster air speed and was heavier. Same dash speed. Couldn't wall jump and had a larger hurt box(according to smash wiki). It's really dissaspointing dr mario is slower than mario in ssb4. Hopefully he gets the same dash speed.
That's exactly what I mean. Other than those differences you mentioned, plus D-tilt and Fair getting changed up, it ain't enough to say that their changes were visually significant, as he still has all of Mario's general moves, just had properties changed up. I'm just looking at things from a different perspective, outside of character stat changes.

Aside from that subject tho, I do hope that they speed him up a little in Smash Ultimate as well. I liked Smash 4's idea of Doc being heavy and powerful, but not like that.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Those changes in melee are more differentiating than the echo characters at least.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I liked Dr. Mario in Smash 4 because I hated Mario's FLUDD move. I'd really like to see him finally discard the FLUDD (since Mario Sunshine is so old now and really forgettable anyway) and go back to having a spin attack as his down-B.
Mario Sunshine is one of his best games and one of the few successors to Mario 64. Mario Sunshine is definitely not forgettable.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
Looks like Dr. Mario's got another new animation:

He swings his cape upwards rather than sideways. Don't know if that changes the move's properties or if it's just aesthetic.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Looks like Dr. Mario's got another new animation:

He swings his cape upwards rather than sideways. Don't know if that changes the move's properties or if it's just aesthetic.
Nice!

That's to help indicate the players how the move has better vertical reach.
It doesn't seem to hook on his neck like Mario's. Makes sense since it's not really the cape ability.

Folt

Smash Ace
So with chrom having Iks up B but being a Roy echo, why isn’t Doc an echo?
Probably because Dr. Mario isn't beholden to echo Mario anymore.

Or to put it in another way: A change that'd apply to Mario does not need to apply to Dr. Mario, and Smash Ultimate continues what Smash 4 started in regards to Dr. Mario which was to take his character in a direction different from Mario's (like how Megavitamins now feels like their own projectile than being a variant of Fireball, Super Jump Punch was turned into a powerful single-hit move than a multi-hit combo, and how he retains his Down B which is completely different in function from FLUDD).

The change to Doc's dair only further drives the point home that he no longer echoes Mario by taking away the original Mario dair and replacing it with something that looks and works differently from the Mario Tornado.

By contrast, any changes that would apply to Roy overall would also apply for Chrom, and both of their Up Bs are recovery moves so they're more similiar in function than the Marios' Down Bs.

Top Bottom