• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Doctor Is In the House!" - Dr. Mario Returns Again!

Will this Mario brother renew his licence?

• Don't know...

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • He'll come back.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Easy clone, so not out of the question.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Ehh..............

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't count on it.

• Want to, but probably won't.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Prefer not, but it can happen.

• Just make him an alternate costume and call it a day.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Please buff him.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1FC0

Smash Lord
And his Final smash could be the Kamehameha.

Last edited:

Zero1999

Smash Rookie
Wonder if i'll be possible to Uair>Uair>FSmash, in Melee he could and in Smash 3DS/Wii U it was possible to do it bt not guaranteed.

Folt

Smash Ace
So essentially...

More knockback behind his moves.
Unique moves like dair, down special, and neutral special (in the case that the pills behave completely different from Mario's Fireballs now) and possibly up special as well (functioning differently from Mario's up special in terms of function).
walk speed, jump height, weight, etc. are probably different.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
Dr Mario is likely being rebalanced from the ground up this time. I see him getting hugely buffed compared to Smash 4 because in Smash 4 they used multipliers :(

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I hope they give him better air speed than Mario like in Melee and give up-b a bit more height. I don't really care how fast he is on the ground as long as they improve his air speed and his recovery.

Xibit.A

Smash Rookie
Really hoping the Doc is viable. Loved his hard-hitting playstyle but wish he had better combos and speed. I LOVE his new dair!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some new Doc footage to analyze:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
It looks like he has some sort of new Side-B? Not sure how it works exactly, the treehouse guy was on about it but was cut off
New back throw animation, as well

Yusa

Smash Cadet
Oh man, what's going on there?
Hope this new 'diploma' (?) is functionally the same, i can't imagine Doc without the cape...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Doc's new backthrow:

https://twitter.com/Marcbri/status/1058264792530440192 (at 52 seconds in).

It's hard to judge since Yoshi's % was fairly low, but it seems to have less distance than the old one.

It looks like he has some sort of new Side-B? Not sure how it works exactly, the treehouse guy was on about it but was cut off
New back throw animation, as well
Oh man, what's going on there?
Hope this new 'diploma' (?) is functionally the same, i can't imagine Doc without the cape...
I think side-B still functions the same. The animation just changed to show that it reaches higher.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Disappointed to see the Doc forum so quiet. Here's some new videos featuring Doc gameplay in Ultimate that I haven't seen posted here yet. Enjoy!

Last edited:

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Thanks man for your work
Is it me or his cyclone goes highter now ?

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Thanks man for your work
Is it me or his cyclone goes highter now ?
Thank you very much. It's been a collaborative effort of the Doc Discord, so special thanks to them as well.

I honestly can't tell if Dr. Tornado gains anymore height...
We've receive word that it has less ending lag but we don't have solid enough footage to confirm it.

However, I've been doing some analyzing on Doc...
Turns out his Up-Smash is the same, except it now does 17.3% (20.76% in 1v1 itemless) from 15.6% and now sends at a 110* angle from 130*.

So unless his knockback was nerfed or some other factor comes into play, in tournament his Up-Smash is gonna be killing Mario at center of FD with no rage and DI as low as 70%.

I'm not kidding... http://rubendal.github.io/Sm4sh-Cal...&gravity=0.08715&fallSpeed=1.5&traction=0.045

And that's just on Up-Smash...

tldr

Doc's Up-Smash may kill stupid early.

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
Doc having insane killpower in exchange for the really good mobility most characters have in this game sounds neat.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
What's the consensus on the Super Sheet... does it hit items or enemies upward? It still turns enemies around and will deflect items, but I hear a lot of people saying it deflects them upward now, which seems like it could be a nerf(?). I've watched several videos and I know why people think it deflects upwards, but I don't know if there's definitive evidence yet.

I got to try Doc in Ultimate yesterday, but wasn't able to test much of anything because of the way the game was set-up (4 player Free-for-All and items, Pro Controller only and I waited in line for over 3 hours). I may try to go back later this week and test him out some more, though.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu6bBscfihE 29:35 (French sorry but just look at Doc)
It's confirmed that Doc's Side-B send projectiles upward so I think it will send ennemies upward to. Imo it's a nerf
Do we know if the launch star going up is a result of Doc's cape or is that just a function of the launch star itself? I could've sworn I saw another video where Doc reflected a projectile horizontally.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Do we know if the launch star going up is a result of Doc's cape or is that just a function of the launch star itself? I could've sworn I saw another video where Doc reflected a projectile horizontally.
I think the launch start just has weird physics, hit the ground then bounced up.

Also Down-B footage:

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I think it was reflected by the cape upward but maybe it's the stage...
We'll see in time

I like Doc but as a Luigi main, I'm pissed that Doc stole his Down-B
Also these alts look so good

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So in the midst of all of this leaked footage has it ever been officially confirmed if Doc's side-B reflects projectiles horizontally or vertically?

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
So in the midst of all of this leaked footage has it ever been officially confirmed if Doc's side-B reflects projectiles horizontally or vertically?
Honestly, I don't think so. The main piece of evidence is of Doc using his Super Sheet on a Launch Star and it rising upward after being hit (although upon further inspection, I don't believe he ever actually makes contact with the thrown Launch Star).

Earlier in this thread I posted a clip that shows the Launch Star rising on its own after being thrown. While this doesn't conclusively debunk the Super Sheet deflecting projectiles upward, it does refute the only piece of evidence to the contrary.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I've heard reports that it still reflects horizontally.
But I'll wait and see when we get the game in our hands.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I've heard reports that it still reflects horizontally.
But I'll wait and see when we get the game in our hands.
That's my guess. It honestly wouldn't make any sense deflecting upward. That would be a huge nerf and I'm not sure how it would be used effectively. I'm fairly certain they just changed the animation to differentiate the Super Sheet from Mario's Cape, but the effect remains the same as always.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
That's my guess. It honestly wouldn't make any sense deflecting upward. That would be a huge nerf and I'm not sure how it would be used effectively. I'm fairly certain they just changed the animation to differentiate the Super Sheet from Mario's Cape, but the effect remains the same as always.
It reflects horizontally like any other reflector, it just has different animation.

Also confirming DownThrow has been improved. It has almost no knockback growth and true comboes into upair well into 150% (and kills), but may depend on DI.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Hit stun is increased in general in this game from what I've hard. Not sure how I feel about that..

Yusa

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, i'm loving this <3

Hitstun increase is also an absolute plus. Earlier builds of the game had very little, allowing for few combos, and you'd oftentimes get punished for you HITTING the opponent (similar to Brawl Mario).
This hitstun seems just right to reward winning neutral in setting up a small string that can likely be escaped by good DI, so it's still skill-dependent.

godogod

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if Dr Mario's air speed is the same as Mario's in this game?

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Does anyone know if Dr Mario's air speed is the same as Mario's in this game?
It's not.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Attributes

Mario and Doc's are listed as 1.208, but Doc is still bogged down by some other factor.

Assuming the multipliers from Sm4sh are the same, Doc's speed should be around this:
Run speed: 1.76 * 0.82 = 1.4432
Air speed: 1.208 * 0.82 = 0.99056

Buff from 1.312 to 1.4432
Buff from 0.943 to 0.99056

My prediction about them having similar mobility were incorrect.

Top Bottom