• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The difference between Rosalina & Luma Guide

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Hello Rosalina & Luma mains, in this thread I will be going over the differences between Rosalina and Luma's attacks and what they can do. Some people might think you can just attack regularly with these characters but there's actually some differences where one of their moves are better than the others. I do not own a copy of the Japanese full game, I play at a gaming center that has them. (I will be fixing things and adding percents to moves and images at a later time.)

Jabs
Rosalina: Has a shorter jab range than Luma with her jabs close to each other that go into a continuous combo with a finisher that does decent percent depending on when you want to end it.

Luma: Has a bit longer jab range than Rosalina, his second jab extends him further and his final jab deals decent knock back, Luma's jab should be used for quick hits and knocking the enemy away from Rosalina.

Forward Tilt
Rosalina: Has a side sweep motion, does decent knock back at low percents.

Luma: Has almost the exact same motion, does pretty much the same knock back.

Something you can do with these two, is send Luma out, and you can forward tilt opponent back and forth like ping pong between Rosalina and Luma, at least at low percents.

Up Tilt
Rosalina: Has a circular light above her that blocks out other opponents moves, such as Bowser Bomb (Bowser Down B), mainly hits above her and not so much on any sides of her.

Luma: Has the stronger up tilt out of the two, it's basically an upper cut that does strong knock back. This hits on the sides of whichever direction he is facing.

Down Tilt
Rosalina: Kind of has the same motion has forward tilt but this doesn't have as much knock back, it has good reach and works for keeping opponents away from you if they're trying to jab combo you.

Luma: A bit different, Luma lunges himself a short distance at opponents while doing down tilt, does less knock back than Rosalina from what I remember. (I will correct this when I get a 100% confirmation).

Forward Smash
Rosalina: Puts her hands in front of her as if she's pushing someone away, has good range and good knock back.

Luma: Does a forward punch, has the same knock back as Rosalina I believe. (I will correct this when I get a 100% confirmation).

Down Smash
Rosalina: Does a side leg/foot sweep on both sides.

Luma: Does the same thing as Rosalina.

Up Smash
Rosalina: Does a upwards head/body swing motion, has great knock back and is Rosalina's strongest smash attack, it's stronger than Luma's up smash.

Luma: Does an upwards punch and is weaker than Rosalina's up smash.

Neutral Air

Rosalina: Has two hit boxes from what I've seen, one at the very start of it where her feet are, and one at the end where her feet end. Both hits do little knock back.

Luma: His version comes out instantly and is better out of the two for keeping opponents off of you and getting out of combos. It has a stronger knock back than Rosalina's Neutral Air.

Forward Air
Rosalina: Has a multiple hit boxes on her version of the move, it's really good for catching people out of their jumps and also for getting people away from the ledge as you recover, does have some landing lag if you're still in the motion as you hit the ground.

Luma: I believe he lunches himself forward or does a forward punch. (I will correct this when I get a 100% confirmation).

Back Air
Rosalina: Does a similar motion to Zelda's back air, although this does not have a strong toe hit box, but instead just a regular hit box, does decent knock back.

Luma: I believe he does a backwards kick as well but I can't remember. (I will correct this when I get a 100% confirmation).

Up Air
Rosalina: Like her up tilt she creates a circular light above her to protect her from attacks, I believe this move has two hits, a strong one and a weak one.

Luma: I believe he does the same move as if you were to up tilt. (I will correct this when I get a 100% confirmation).

Down Air
Rosalina: Creates a circular light that protects her from attacks, I also believe this has 2 hits, one will spike the opponent for sure and I believe the other hit will knock them to the side.

Luma: I believe he does the same thing as if you down tilt. (I will correct this when I get a 100% confirmation).

Neutral Special
Rosalina sends out Luma, this move can be charged and does more damage and travels more distance based on how far you charge it. Luma will always keep himself at a distance from Rosalina until you decide to call him back, to call Luma back simply push the button again.

Forward Special
Rosalina commands Luma to shoot out star bits, he shoots around 5 star bits, good for interrupting moves or keeping opponents away.

Down Special
Rosalina collects any projectile thrown at her and basically twists it around and dissolves it. I was not able to test if this does double damage like a reflector did yet.

Up Special
Rosalina shoots herself out of a launch star, this move can be angled side ways to travel farther that way, but won't launch you as high if you do that. Also if you do this facing away from the stage and angle it, you will only travel upwards and then after you reach the height of it will be free to move around. You can also pivot this move to recover if you decide to learn the advanced way of using this move.

Luma Off Stage

If Luma gets hit off stage he will get put into a tumble animation that he can't be brought out of and he will be forced to fall until he is KO'd.

That's all the differences between they're moves, I guess I didn't really need to list their specials, but it's always nice to have some extra information added in to help out others, I also didn't go over custom moves because again they do those as a team and don't have different ways of doing them by themselves. I hope this helps a lot of people out with controlling Rosalina & Luma.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Interesting! Can't wait to try out Rosalina! She seems like she will be very good. I do wish there were pics to see what you're saying, but I'm sure we'll have them once the game comes out!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Why exactly would you not be trying to complete the "complete coverage" thread rather than starting a new thread? Also, any compendium needs the alt specials which were posted earlier.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Why exactly would you not be trying to complete the "complete coverage" thread rather than starting a new thread? Also, any compendium needs the alt specials which were posted earlier.
The complete coverage thread can add my guide to it if the owner wants to add it. Also again I don't need to add in alt moves because the characters do them together and don't have their individual versions of them.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
The complete coverage thread can add my guide to it if the owner wants to add it. Also again I don't need to add in alt moves because the characters do them together and don't have their individual versions of them.
Xaltis make more videos plsssss :).

I wanna see matches :D

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm confused... if you're just facing AWAY from the stage her UpB doesn't put you in freefall? Or is it if you do it off the ground?

Cause it seems you could B Reverse(which I heard is in) away from the stage to recover to the stage with an attack. Seems like a stupid good option in teams.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Then why did you include default specials. :x

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I'm confused... if you're just facing AWAY from the stage her UpB doesn't put you in freefall? Or is it if you do it off the ground?

Cause it seems you could B Reverse(which I heard is in) away from the stage to recover to the stage with an attack. Seems like a stupid good option in teams.
If you up B any way you go into free fall.

Then why did you include default specials. :x
I see you didn't read the whole guide, cause I explained that already in it. Please fully read the guide before asking any questions, thank you.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm assuming that the Luma has no equivalent actions for rolls, dodges, shield, air dodge, etc. and just stands there in a neutral stance while Rosalina dodges. I also assume this means you can have Luma attack while Rosalina in in the middle of these actions.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you're able to, damage outputs would be highly appreciated. Training is probably your best best for getting the damage output values.

Edit: You did miss the dash attack. Also, your contributions have been added onto the coverage thread.

Last edited:

Xaltis

Smash Hero
If you're able to, damage outputs would be highly appreciated. Training is probably your best best for getting the damage output values.

Edit: You did miss the dash attack. Also, your contributions have been added onto the coverage thread.
Yes, I will get on that when I can, also I did forget if dash attack was different between the two, I will also look into that. Also I don't see it on the complete coverage thread.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I guess to add to this thread, I have quite a few notes on how Luma functions (and some small things on Rosa).

Rosa tidbits:
Nair autocancels, the rest of the aerials do not but have low landing lag (fair -> grab may be a combo)
ftilt does more damage and knockback than dtilt
Up-B can be angled to extreme extents

Luma tidbits:
About half the damage of Rosa, slightly less knockback on most moves, some exceptions (dash attack is much less, uptilt is much more)
Functions as a body which can take projectiles and other attacks, potentially causing attacks to stall similar to pikmin.
Can be killed (% unknown)
No known way to snap it out of freefall
Can attack while Rosa is in hitstun (will use grounded moves, tilts/ jabs only)
Can attack while Rosa is in freefall (will do aerials, cannot do a bair)
Can use any attack while Rosa is grabbed (not sure if smashes allowed but probs not)
For horizontally neutral attacks, will attack in the direction it was facing (good to know if it runs toward Rosa)
Quick to respawn if killed
Colors do not seem to make a difference (need to test to be sure)
Will stop moving if it collides into something during neutral B launch (besides shield), can attack almost immediately after stopping
Attack is uses directly correlates to Rosa's attacks and only Rosa's no matter Luma's position
Will stop in place when using an attack (unless with Rosa in air)

With Rosa Luma...

Always stays a little ahead of Rosa and prioritizes getting there
Will follow offstage and move with Rosalina while doing aerials
Attacks with both rosa and luma stack the damage, no bonus or anything, knockback seems to be based on whichever attack does more knockback.
Can be micro positioned with jab
Follows Rosa when she up-bs
Pretty straightforward when together

Without Rosa Luma...

Prioritizes staying a set distance from Rosa (Vertical distance needs to be same before covering Horizontal distance)
Will react to positional changes fast if far from Rosa, will react slowly if close to Rosa
Always ahead of Rosa in the direction she is facing (Changing direction in rapid succession confuses luma)
Will move back and forth randomly if idle for a set period of time
Wil not follow Rosa offstage
Will jump back on stage if launched off; has 3 jumps, third jump can be canceled with an attack, will then fall. (can still be saved with neutral B)
Can air stall Luma by throwing out attacks.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yes, I will get on that when I can, also I did forget if dash attack was different between the two, I will also look into that. Also I don't see it on the complete coverage thread.
I did input information about the dash attack onto that thread. It's placed in the standard attacks category.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I did input information about the dash attack onto that thread. It's placed in the standard attacks category.
I thought you were putting my guide in there?

I guess to add to this thread, I have quite a few notes on how Luma functions (and some small things on Rosa).

Rosa tidbits:
Nair autocancels, the rest of the aerials do not but have low landing lag (fair -> grab may be a combo)
ftilt does more damage and knockback than dtilt
Up-B can be angled to extreme extents

Luma tidbits:
About half the damage of Rosa, slightly less knockback on most moves, some exceptions (dash attack is much less, uptilt is much more)
Functions as a body which can take projectiles and other attacks, potentially causing attacks to stall similar to pikmin.
Can be killed (% unknown)
No known way to snap it out of freefall
Can attack while Rosa is in hitstun (will use grounded moves, tilts/ jabs only)
Can attack while Rosa is in freefall (will do aerials, cannot do a bair)
Can use any attack while Rosa is grabbed (not sure if smashes allowed but probs not)
For horizontally neutral attacks, will attack in the direction it was facing (good to know if it runs toward Rosa)
Quick to respawn if killed
Colors do not seem to make a difference (need to test to be sure)
Will stop moving if it collides into something during neutral B launch (besides shield), can attack almost immediately after stopping
Attack is uses directly correlates to Rosa's attacks and only Rosa's no matter Luma's position
Will stop in place when using an attack (unless with Rosa in air)

With Rosa Luma...

Always stays a little ahead of Rosa and prioritizes getting there
Will follow offstage and move with Rosalina while doing aerials
Attacks with both rosa and luma stack the damage, no bonus or anything, knockback seems to be based on whichever attack does more knockback.
Can be micro positioned with jab
Follows Rosa when she up-bs
Pretty straightforward when together

Without Rosa Luma...

Prioritizes staying a set distance from Rosa (Vertical distance needs to be same before covering Horizontal distance)
Will react to positional changes fast if far from Rosa, will react slowly if close to Rosa
Always ahead of Rosa in the direction she is facing (Changing direction in rapid succession confuses luma)
Will move back and forth randomly if idle for a set period of time
Wil not follow Rosa offstage
Will jump back on stage if launched off; has 3 jumps, third jump can be canceled with an attack, will then fall. (can still be saved with neutral B)
Can air stall Luma by throwing out attacks.
You copied things I put down and wrote them here. I see several things I already covered in this guide.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will be rewording the coverage thread descriptions in my own words once I get the game. The quotes are mostly placeholders until then.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Well you still just copied me. Next time read. :3

Also thank you Mario and Sonic guy, I see them now. c:
I have a lot stuff that you didn't mention, so how about you read before saying anything else. Actually, most of the stuff in my notes isn't mentioned in your OP at all because you talk about moves mostly while I talk about properties of Luma mostly.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I have a lot stuff that you didn't mention, so how about you read before saying anything else. Actually, most of the stuff in my notes isn't mentioned in your OP at all because you talk about moves mostly while I talk about properties of Luma mostly.
Don't argue with him. He can't be wrong.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I can be wrong, I've been wrong a good amount, I don't know why you would say that Ryker. I know there are things you've said that I didn't have as well. No need for either of you to be upset, let's be mature, nice, and respectful here. :)

Last edited:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
@ Xaltis Xaltis , I've been wondering forever, can you desync Rosalina and Luma similar to Popo and Nana? I'd think you could start a desync with Luma Shot (or it's customs) or during a throw and maybe some other stuff and then alternate attacks from there. Desyncing would be huge but I always see people do the same attack with both characters at the same time rather than desync them and alternate attacks. How can you best put them on a different vertical plane? Horizontally you can use Luma shot, but is there any way to get Luma above or below you? Also during Luma shot is Luma vulnerable? I feel like it could be a good way to initiate the opponent safely, but if Luma just gets killed when she's thrown out then it's different.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ Xaltis Xaltis , I've been wondering forever, can you desync Rosalina and Luma similar to Popo and Nana? I'd think you could start a desync with Luma Shot (or it's customs) or during a throw and maybe some other stuff and then alternate attacks from there. Desyncing would be huge but I always see people do the same attack with both characters at the same time rather than desync them and alternate attacks. How can you best put them on a different vertical plane? Horizontally you can use Luma shot, but is there any way to get Luma above or below you? Also during Luma shot is Luma vulnerable? I feel like it could be a good way to initiate the opponent safely, but if Luma just gets killed when she's thrown out then it's different.
You can desync them, someone posted a topic with videos of this in the Competitive 3DS Boards.

Mister Spaceborg

Smash Rookie
You can desync them, someone posted a topic with videos of this in the Competitive 3DS Boards.
Was it this? (last paragraph)
[
A lot of the more popular characters right now have very good rolls, or their rolls have additional utility beyond standard movement.

Little Mac relies on his amazing rolls to get him around on the ground and punish over-aggressive foes, as otherwise a grounded target is inherently an easier target than one in the air, and Little Mac does not want to be in the air if he can avoid it. Even if his dash speed is very high and his dash is very low to the ground, that does not change the fact that having one less dimension to move around in makes your movement more predictable. His amazing rolls help mitigate that significantly, which is why they get used so often.

Rosalina uses rolls a lot to keep a separated Luma from moving with her. Luma normally performs the same inputs as Rosalina, so if she dashes normally Luma will dash in the same direction. However, Luma lacks the ability to roll, so rolling is an easy way for Rosalina to manoeuvre without moving Luma as well, as well as a way to desync herself from Luma by having him perform an attack as she rolls. On top of that, her rolls have her go invisible for most of the roll, giving them mindgame potential against an inattentive — or preoccupied — opponent.
I've used desyncing pretty effectively so far to put my opponent between Luma and myself so I can hit-stun with side-special towards Rosalina. You can easily follow up with a Rosalina forward tilt and still use a Luma up smash. I played for 4 hours yesterday online, its reliable.

An interesting note is that it seems like Luma has momentum during rolls, ie, you roll towards Luma it will "slide" past you.

Top Bottom