• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definition of "Spam"

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
My friend plays Brawl.
He spams.
He thinks he's good
BUT HE SPAMS LIKE A MOFO and he;s not that good. He just doesnt understand, but frankly I dont either; what the proper defintion of spamming is. Does it really exist or is it just a reaccuring pattern of moves given that title, upon men with opinions?

Oh I get past it. And then some. Honestly I **** the **** out of him so hard. I know enough to realize what his current "Fighting Style" (if you can call it that)...is, and to me it gets obvious when I see a Kirby Brick or Pikachu Bolt comin down at me.

The point I want to try and make to him is, when he's spamming and the disadvantages of it.
He has interest in playing the metagame right but I want to break the habbit of him shooting fox's laser at the edge of the stage again and again and...

cman

Smash Ace
Spam- Repeated use of a single move or a small number of moves which generally has a brickwall type effect to frustrate bad opponents. Often used in the sentence "Hey! Quit spamming! That's so cheap!"

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Spam- Repeated use of a single move or a small number of moves which generally has a brickwall type effect to frustrate bad opponents. Often used in the sentence "Hey! Quit spamming! That's so cheap!"
Lol!! Spamming is effective though. Just depends what kind of spamming.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If you can't get past his spamming, that's your own fault. When you notice your opponent is doing the same thing over and over, you should be smart enough to know how to avoid it/punish it.
If he's "not that good," and he's beating you, what does that say about you?

In other words: no johns.

Oh, cman gave you a good enough definition.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Definitely an overused word.

My definition of spamming would be - i.e.

Kirby does Final Cutter over, and over, and over...and over..

If you consider spamming to be a general use of several attacks that you can't beat, then you're just a bad player can't learn how to adapt.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Generally, spamming is using a move or a small group of moves in an attempt to inflict more damage on a more skilled opponent and thinking your good. Also very common in Brawl in general.

Zylar

Smash Ace
I think that there is a difference between spamming successfully and spamming unsuccessfully. If spamming works no one should complain, just find a way around it. If it doesn't or hardly does anything then you should complain.

All my friend does is spam pika's thunder over and over when I'm standing still doing nothing.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
Are you kidding me?

If you can't get past his spamming, that's your own fault. When you notice your opponent is doing the same thing over and over, you should be smart enough to know how to avoid it/punish it.
If he's "not that good," and he's beating you, what does that say about you?

In other words: no johns.

Oh, cman gave you a good enough definition.
Oh I get past it. And then some. Honestly I **** the **** out of him so hard. I know enough to realize what his current "Fighting Style" (if you can call it that)...is, and to me it gets obvious when I see a Kirby Brick or Pikachu Bolt comin down at me.

The point I want to try and make to him is, when he's spamming and the disadvantages of it.
He has interest in playing the metagame right but I want to break the habbit of him shooting fox's laser at the edge of the stage again and again and...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Getting through a spammer, especially one who camps but likes to approach for the kill isn't necessarily easy. I'm not someone who cries or complains about spamming, because I don't find anything wrong with it. However, what you said here isn't necessarily true. I brawled with toilethumor. He decided to bring out Falco, and he started spamming his Blaster like crazy. I really couldn't approach him without getting hit, and I didn't feel like hanging on the edge to wait for him to stop and come to me.

I tried to shield and air-dodge, and I did manage to take down one stock, but he'd two-stock me with Falco. I thought that this was the most interesting way of playing I've ever come across. Like I said, I'm not a complainer about spamming, so I took this in a positive light to practice getting through Falco's Blaster or anyone who spams. Never mind the fact that toilethumor is quite good. To be honest, I had a good laugh. All in all, spamming isn't wrong, it's not a crime, and it's not "cheap" or a way n00bs play. If it works, why stop?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Getting through a spammer, especially one who camps but likes to approach for the kill isn't necessarily easy. I'm not someone who cries or complains about spamming, because I don't find anything wrong with it. However, what you said here isn't necessarily true. I brawled with toilethumor. He decided to bring out Falco, and he started spamming his Blaster like crazy. I really couldn't approach him without getting hit, and I didn't feel like hanging on the edge to wait for him to stop and come to me.

I tried to shield and air-dodge, and I did manage to take down one stock, but he'd two-stock me with Falco. I thought that this was the most interesting way of playing I've ever come across. Like I said, I'm not a complainer about spamming, so I took this in a positive light to practice getting through Falco's Blaster or anyone who spams. Never mind the fact that toilethumor is quite good. To be honest, I had a good laugh. All in all, spamming isn't wrong, it's not a crime, and it's not "cheap" or a way n00bs play. If it works, why stop?
There are plenty of ways of getting past a spammer, and forcing an approach via planking happens to be one of them. If you play a character with a reflector, that makes things even easier. I've never had too much trouble approaching a laser-spamming Falco. Sure, I'll take a bit of percentages, but it's not impossible and it won't be an auto-win-button for the spammer.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
Spam is a word you hear from your opponent when something your doing is working really well.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Are you losing to him? If so, maybe he is that good.

If you are in fact a lot better than him, the best thing you can do is kill him for it, every time. Make it obvious to him that what he's doing is not working by landing stupid hits, forcing him to approach, etc.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
Omg

Are you losing to him? If so, maybe he is that good.

If you are in fact a lot better than him, the best thing you can do is kill him for it, every time. Make it obvious to him that what he's doing is not working by landing stupid hits, forcing him to approach, etc.

10charizards

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Spam is a noob term for efficiency. There are no disadvantages if your oponent has troubles with it. Right now it sounds like you do, so don't tell your friend to stop.

If you are so much better than him, then just destroy him a couple of times and he will learn sooner or later.

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes have a similar situation with one of my Ike friends. He says that he never really knew how spammy I was until he started really playing me, because (according to him) all I do is jump and thunderjolt at him from across the stage. Never mind the fact that every other attack of his is Quick draw and Thunderjolt happens to be an amazing way of punishing it. (I'm sure someone is going to tell me that you can shield cancel or something like that, but he doesn't know how to do anything even resembling an AT.) Never mind that using fullhopped jolts to force an approach is a real strategy. And never mind that it's effective because of the way he tries to play, and I consistently kick the crap out of him even when he gets to close range. I'm a spammer. :rolleyes: Even though more than one person on Gamebattles has left me a comment to the contrary.
But yeah, spamming is usually either an excuse for losing (when called my a noob) or a reason for losing (when actually done by a noob).

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
a dude i play at our school tourneys is a spammer. He is always fox or falco. His game consists or running to one side, lasering, then if i come close he either :

1. runs away
2. tries a smash attack
3. fire foxes(lol)

It gets pretty annoying. Its a sad fact but all thye undercalssmen spam at our school . Another is kirby, his game consists of that rock thing. they are even worse in soul calibur 4.

I played one, he was kilik and all he did was a vertical jab move, or a horizonatal sweep. I was pissed.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I think using Firefox/bird offensively is the true way to tell if someone is a noob Falco or Fox.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
There are plenty of ways of getting past a spammer, and forcing an approach via planking happens to be one of them. If you play a character with a reflector, that makes things even easier. I've never had too much trouble approaching a laser-spamming Falco. Sure, I'll take a bit of percentages, but it's not impossible and it won't be an auto-win-button for the spammer.
I would like to laugh about what you just said. I could choose a character an ability to reflect or absorb Falco's Blaster, and in fact, I have one as an alternative. However, I'm trying to improve with my main, who lacks the ability to reflect or absorb. Perhaps you haven't come across a Falco like toilethumor's. Seriously, roll, air-dodge, double jump, but you're going to get hit anyway. Hanging on the edge doesn't help you, since if you can't approach, there's no reason for your opponent to do so. I wasn't angry with toilethumor, of course. Try his out and tell me about it after.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Spam can be annoying, and is usually pretty hard to get through, especially if the opponent knows how to spam correctly. I really hate the fact that you know it's supposed to be easy to dodge, (Like Falco/Fox's laser) but when you're confronted with it, it sometimes seems harder then it's supposed to be. It probably has something to do with overthinking it.

But, also spam can be...

Aznpkilla

Smash Cadet
Do you point it out to him?

The only real way for him to realize mistakes is for you to point it out.

It's the same way with my friend's wolf/olimar . All he does is spam D-smash or F-smash, and he's starting to learn he's getting punished for it.

Still gets mad when he can't kill me with either though because they're so decayed. I don't think he's picked up on that yet. =D

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
I **** the **** out of him so hard.
Spamming refers to using a certain move repetitively. Projectiles are the most used spamming moves. This action is sometimes considered cheap. Juggling an opponent may also involve spamming such as repeating Up Tilts. Grabs have also been known to spam. This is known as a chaingrab. Ideally, the spammable move is fast, has little or no lag, and can be used from a distance. While the game discourages spamming with Stale-Move Negation, the average spammable move doesn't do much damage anyway, so the effect is less noticable.

Some popular moves to spam:

* Mario's/Luigi's/Dr. Mario's Fireballs/Megavitamins
* Fox's/Falco's/Wolf's Blaster
* Samus's missiles (either kind)
* Pikachu's Thunder and Thunder Jolt
* Link's/Young Link's/Toon Link's bombs
* Many character's Neutral A combo
* Stall-Then-Falls
* Ness'/Lucas' PK Fire
* Pit's Arrows and Angel Ring
* Zelda's Din's Fire and Nayru's Love
* C-Stick Smashes, especially with Wolf
* Diddy Kong's bananas
* Yoshi's Egg Throw

source:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Spamming

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I would like to laugh about what you just said. I could choose a character an ability to reflect or absorb Falco's Blaster, and in fact, I have one as an alternative. However, I'm trying to improve with my main, who lacks the ability to reflect or absorb. Perhaps you haven't come across a Falco like toilethumor's. Seriously, roll, air-dodge, double jump, but you're going to get hit anyway. Hanging on the edge doesn't help you, since if you can't approach, there's no reason for your opponent to do so. I wasn't angry with toilethumor, of course. Try his out and tell me about it after.
I would like to laugh at what you just said, but there was nothing funny in it :( (come to think of it, what's so funny about what I said?).

Anyway, no I have not played toilethumor, but I've played Falco's in tournaments who know how to spam their fair share of lasers (it's not that hard, you know... you don't need to be toilethumor to know how to efficiently spam Falco's lasers). Powershielding can be more efficient than you think, but I already said that you will more than likely get hit, no need to repeat what I said. Getting hit a few times isn't going to matter, though.
If you're hanging on the edge, you aren't getting hit by pewpewlasers, so how is that not helping you? It's certainly better than getting hit by pewpewlasers. Given the choice (given that there are no better options), I'm hanging on the edge and hoping he gets impatient.

But the point is that there are many ways of avoiding getting ***** by laser-spam, and it's not that hard. Even if you do get hit by a couple laz0rs, it's probably not going to cost you too much.

And I'm probably not going to try toilethumor's Falco for a few reasons:
1. I don't live near him.
2. Wifi sucks major sack.
Not to mention that (as I stated before) toilethumor isn't the only person who can efficiently spam lasers. Honestly, anyone with half a brain and a pair of hands can efficiently spam Falcos zappy gun, and I've certainly played against people who have both a brain, and two hands.

...it's really hard to sound serious after saying "toilethumor" so many times.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that laser-spamming is bad or easy to avoid, I'm just saying that tehre are ways around it, and it shouldn't be costing you matches.

Supernova757

Smash Apprentice
The official definition of spam is when a player uses a certain move over an extended period of time during the course of a match.

Waza

Smash Apprentice
The official definition of spam is when a player uses a certain move over an extended period of time during the course of a match.

If this were the case, then i defy you to name one character on the brawl roster whose metagame doesn't involve "spamming" one of their moves according to this definition.... :ohwell:

Oh Yeah his name is John too
Well Vane, irony is a biotch eh?

Waza

Smash Apprentice
lolwut?

10learn2grammerz
seriously? It means that I am betting you to find a character that doesnt fit the criteria i posted above...

Definition of "defy":

Dictionary:
defy
(dĭ-fī') pronunciation
Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary
tr.v., -fied, -fy·ing, -fies.
a) To oppose or resist with boldness and assurance: defied the blockade by sailing straight through it.
b) To refuse to submit to or cooperate with: defied the court order by leaving the country.
2. To be unaffected by; resist or withstand: “So the plague defied all medicines” (Daniel Defoe).
3. To challenge or dare (someone) to do something: She defied her accusers to prove their charges.

10learn2comprehendz :dizzy:

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
seriously? It means that I am betting that you can't find a character with respect to the criteria i listed above.

Definition of "defy":

Dictionary:
defy
(dĭ-fī') pronunciation
a) To oppose or resist with boldness and assurance: defied the blockade by sailing straight through it.
b) To refuse to submit to or cooperate with: defied the court order by leaving the country.
2. To be unaffected by; resist or withstand: “So the plague defied all medicines” (Daniel Defoe).
3. To challenge or dare (someone) to do something: She defied her accusers to prove their charges.

10learn2comprehendz :dizzy:
lol i wasn't disagreeing with your point, actually. his definition is obviously wrong, but seriously, "defy" isn't normally used in that way. i doubt he woulda understood it either, but whatever, you proved that you CAN, so yea, i guess my bad...

Waza

Smash Apprentice
lol i wasn't disagreeing with your point, actually. his definition is obviously wrong, but seriously, "defy" isn't normally used in that way. i doubt he woulda understood it either, but whatever, you proved that you CAN, so yea, i guess my bad...

Though I beg to differ, I guess i'll have to dumb down my vocabulary then... sigh....:urg:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Definition of "defy":

Dictionary:
defy
(dĭ-fī') pronunciation
Wow.

I learned something today.
That rarely happens.

Anyway, spam: Two meanings. One, a definition:

The repeated deployment of some tactic or 'unit' such that it is maladaptive for the user; as a verb, to deploy a tactic in such a manner.​

Now, around that definition, is a meaning in a loose sense, which is roughly, 'The persistent use of some tactic within an explicitly or implicitly specified range of reference.'

The second one is playful. It's not to be "looked at too closely." Like "Samus threw out the zair spam in the middle," or "Lawl he got turtle spammed," to just "Meta Knight winz with Dsmash spams lolololololololol."

It means only that the tactic was sustained. But it does not make an accusation (or praise) of that continuation. Necessarily. That comes about in the subtext of the utterance, as can happen with any expression.

:D

DBZ0wnz

Smash Cadet
What about Spamming C-Stick?

I use 'Wii Remote & Nunchuk'

I've just had a gud match against my mate Wilso and i was PT he was CF, While we were on our last stock he was running across the PT stage like mad using USmash every second he had so he could win and eventually did win, my point is C-Stick is very noob.

And is Worse then B spamming.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You're better off to just avoid playing anyone that /spams/.
Problem solved.

Top Bottom