• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
What annoys me is that given BPC's assumptions and standards of proof, his position of "There is no God"/ "Miracles don't exist" is completely unfalsifiable. At that point this isn't a debate any longer, it's me wasting my time. (Let's face it, if the disciples were claiming any explanation BUT the supernatural for Jesus's ministry, the New Testament would be the most thoroughly proved book in ancient history.)

@Holder
Honestly, BPC's debating style is nothing special, it's just the standard arguments I see with a LOT more insulting and cursing thrown in.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What annoys me is that given BPC's assumptions and standards of proof, his position of "There is no God"/ "Miracles don't exist" is completely unfalsifiable.
Well, it's not that annoying given that you're trying to tell us "miracles" happened in the past and the best reasons you've given us is that they had no reason to lie. You're asking us to believe that impossible events happened and your source is an old book.

(Let's face it, if the disciples were claiming any explanation BUT the supernatural for Jesus's ministry, the New Testament would be the most thoroughly proved book in ancient history.)
Not sure if serious.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Alright then, I challenge you to find a book from a similar time period that has even comparable backing when you submit it to standard historical tests. (Math/physics documents excluded, for the simple reason that they can be independently verified by completely different means.)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I'll get to that in a bit, but for now I have to go. At any rate, the above challenge is indeed open for anyone who'd like to take it on.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's best to save that for its own thread much like this whole discussion could have. If we tackle your 'challenge', we'd be going off on a complete tangent and would lose the discussion. If you want to get anywhere, don't change the subject.

NNID
Budget_Player
What annoys me is that given BPC's assumptions and standards of proof, his position of "There is no God"/ "Miracles don't exist" is completely unfalsifiable.
Good point!

...Just one question: since when were those my positions?

You're the one who's made unfalsifiable claims. You have presented extraordinary claims and provided barely ordinary evidence. I have merely been sitting here rejecting your claims, and pointing out that there's no way in hell that you ever could justify your claims to me with a historical text.

If you're referring to my line of argumentation that I would reject the miraculous explanation for any given event, well... no ****! Throughout history, every time we have turned to a miraculous explanation, we have been wrong. There has been a naturalistic explanation. If you don't have to invoke an additional entity, you don't. If Jesus actually did legitimately die, then return to life, then I would spend a hell of a lot longer searching for an explanation that didn't require us to invoke the existence of a completely unverifiable being, and failing finding that explanation, I would do the honest thing and say "I don't know how this happened".

(Let's face it, if the disciples were claiming any explanation BUT the supernatural for Jesus's ministry, the New Testament would be the most thoroughly proved book in ancient history.)
If the disciples weren't claiming things which sound absolutely ludicrous, then yes, the New Testament might be a reliable historical text. But the problem is: they were.

Honestly, BPC's debating style is nothing special, it's just the standard arguments I see with a LOT more insulting and cursing thrown in.
Well, it's fun to read, ain't it? ^_^

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
It's best to save that for its own thread much like this whole discussion could have. If we tackle your 'challenge', we'd be going off on a complete tangent and would lose the discussion. If you want to get anywhere, don't change the subject.
Fair enough, now I'll address your first point.

In short, you've completely simplified my argument. It's more than the disciples having no reason to lie, they had EXTREME reason to say "Nope, Jesus was just a man, I was lying, please let me go." Most people would say anything you wanted if you put a gun to their head (I mean, would you die as a martyr for atheism?), but the disciples (and all of the other Christians) stuck to their story. How many people can you name that would be willing to die for something they knew was a lie?

However, we also have the paradox of Christianity growing so quickly. Christianity was being preached to just the Jews early on, and part of the message involved Jesus performing miracles all over Judea for the past three years. If someone came to you, and claimed that some random guy had been healing the sick, raising the dead, and walking on water all over your state for three years, what would you say? "Get out of here, you're crazy!" would be the appropriate response... unless of course you had actually heard of those miracles.

Additionally, you have to consider that the Pharisees were basically the leaders of the community back then, as well as extremely anti-Christian, and the disciples claimed they were present at many of the miracles. Their influence on the Jews was probably comparable to the news media today. So, if these miracles never happened, all the Pharisees would have needed to do is actually say "These guys are crazy, we never saw this Jesus fellow perform miracles", and that pretty much destroys any credibility the disciples have. However, if you look at their writings in the Talmud a couple hundred years later, you'll note that they claim Jesus was a magician and demon-possessed... but they didn't deny the miracles themselves.

In short, even Jesus's harshest critics thought he did miracles. To compare, this would be the equivalent of me convincing BPC that I raised someone from the dead after a couple of days.

Additionally, the disciples were routinely making claims that would have been fairly easy to check. For instance, Lazarus being dead for 4 days and then being raised from the dead is something pretty much anyone who knew him would have talked about. The Pharisees could have easily gone to his hometown to check ,and considering that they were chasing Christians from town to town to drag them into jail later on, they were definitely motivated enough to do it. (That's not even mentioning that the story claims they were there in the first place.)

So basically, although this might not qualify as complete proof, what we do have is strong evidence that the population at large, even Jesus's harshest critics, were convinced that He did miracles.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, the thing is, the bible is more than 2000 years old. All of those years, and you mean to imply that there hasn't been some kind of inconsistency in the wording of the scriptures? For all we know, what the disciples claim could have been distorted after years and years of word-of-mouth. It's not like the bible was written as the events took place either. I mean the New Testament was written approximately around the latter half of the first century, and considering there are many different versions of the same bible, it would stand to reason that some - if not, most - of the stories could have been grossly exaggerated.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Here's a problem I have with your argument, Nic. You often give the disjunctive along the lines of:

Either the early followers thought Jesus was the son of god or they were lying.
The early followers were most likely not lying (for reasons A, B, and C)
Therefore, the early followers really did think Jesus was the son of god.

The problem is you're not exhausting the choices. Is it hard to believe that they DID think he was the son of god AND were wrong? I'm not adhering to a certain viewpoint myself since I haven't researched it enough, but is what I'm saying a possibility?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Too many issues with believing Christianity. Unsolvable problems of miracles, non-physical entities, paradoxical God properties, issues with the legitimacy of the Bible, lack of proof, poor construction of the Bible allowing interpretation and difference even among followers, questionable behavior, not to mention the unexplainable belief that there is a right and wrong in reality to begin with. With just one of these problems it is enough to find the idea not very appetizing, but we have all of these. In fact, those are just at the top of my head.

Almost all religious people were raised in a religious environment, with a religious family. The only reason why people cling to it is because of the tradition rooted in so deep. Adults have a very low probability of changing their core beliefs because our childhoods have been proven psychologically to pretty much decide what we are later in life. I do not believe religion has no right to be here, but it is sad to see that it is so plainly something that functions almost like a mental disorder.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Nic- It's not necessarily true that the Bible would be historically reliable even without the supernatural, as we know many passages (eg. Barabarus) were fabricated and the names of the characters had poetic significance.

Although if there was no supernatural phenomena we don't really know if they'd put stories like the Barabarus one in.

It's a futile discussion anyway because it does claim the supernatural and thus requires a lot more evidence than standard historical texts.

A simple illustration would be that if I told you I walked to the beach yesterday. You would require a lot less evidence to believe that than if I had said that Allah revealed himself to me and let me walk on water.

Also, regardless of what specific evidence you have, you need to look at the logical implications of what you're saying. Let's call the evidence for Christianity X.

Seeing as no two theologies can both be true, that means that if we had X for another religion too, we'd have to believe that one too, because you consider X sufficient evidence.

So for Christianity to be true, that would mean that it would be impossible for X to be replicated for another religion.

You may say it's pointless because it hasn't been replicated, but look at what you're asking the neutral to believe. You're saying that it's more rational to believe that the supernatural did happen and that it's impossible for X to be replicated, than to believe that the supernatural didn't happen and that your logic is wrong.

You're basically suggesting it's more rational to believe a supernatural explanation over a natural one.

:phone:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Just adding something.

When Jesus was put on trial and asked to perform -just one- miracle for King Herod... he failed to do so.

Pilate didn't even ask him to do that. He just asked him to admit that it was the people that called him the son of God, and that Jesus hadn't actually made the claim himself.

He failed to that too.

So basically, even back then, all of Jesus' miracles were officially nothing more than hearsay.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You know all this talk about Christianity anyone wanna answer why the hell the christian coalition is so against universal healthcare?
My out-of-the-air theory would be that their belief in their god is so strong, they feel they don't need man's medicine to heal the sick, and that only the miracles of the almighty will be enough to suffice if one prays hard enough. That, or they think medicine is the devil. Who can say?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah that response managed to simplify even religious thinking.

But really though, when have Christians ever cared about the good of the public politically?

Most of them are capitalists who want an unrestricted market, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd be against universal health care.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I'll get to the other stuff later, just wanted to address this real quick.

@Aesir
I'm not completely sure about people in general, but I'm against public welfare simply because people abuse the system, and I feel that private charity could handle the issue much more effectively. Additionally (this delves more into economics), the extra taxes/inflation required to support such a plan reduces the profits of businesses, driving some of them bankrupt, which in turn increases unemployment and such.

(On a side note, I seriously hope that Sol Diviner is trolling.)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was only half trolling. Only the religious extremists would have that kind of mindset.

Truthfully, though, I think it isn't more so Christians that are against universal healthcare than it is conservative Republicans, which the majority happens to be Christian. The fact they follow said religion could be a mere coincidence. Considering I know Christians, including those in my own family, who are actually dependent on healthcare, I'm going to say that it isn't really a religious issue more than it's political.

Aesir

Smash Master
I'll get to the other stuff later, just wanted to address this real quick.

@Aesir
I'm not completely sure about people in general, but I'm against public welfare simply because people abuse the system, and I feel that private charity could handle the issue much more effectively. Additionally (this delves more into economics), the extra taxes/inflation required to support such a plan reduces the profits of businesses, driving some of them bankrupt, which in turn increases unemployment and such.

So basically Republican bull****? Got ya.

You do realize the amount of people who abuse the system isn't nearly as high as people make it out to be right? You do realize we have a pretty extensive department on tracking welfare fraud right? not only that even the most liberal of states take an almost no tolerance stance on fraud.

Secondly charity spending is a drop in the bucket compared to government spending, charities wouldn't be able to make up for it they simply just do not have the revenue stream government has. Even the most largest wouldn't be able to do much. There are a lot of reasons for this, for instance most charities are local which leads them susceptible local market failures, most charities which are aimed at combating poverty are funded by people whom are in lower income brackets. I would argue that the current welfare model needs to be reformed that giving out blank checks isn't the sole answer, but lets not make charities out to be some untapped resource.

About the economics argument, taxes were at their highest during the Clinton years and we had a pretty good economy back then. So the argument that it kills is business is pretty much wrong, you would have to increase taxes incredibly high for that to be the case. Also while taxes can increase inflation, increasing inflation isn't a universal bad. To much of it is bad but one of the reasons the government increases taxes is to increase inflation to keep profits from souring to high because large income gaps are one of the hidden variables to depressions/recessions.

NNID
Budget_Player
@Aesir

Oh god, you're like Seekster 2.0. :laugh:

Aesir dealt with most things (although, seriously, private charity? Private charity couldn't handle the issue more effectively because it couldn't handle the issue at all), but I'd like to touch on one point here which I consider very, very important: the idea that taxation and reduction of profit can "drive a business bankrupt". This idea is, from a purely mathematical standpoint, hilariously stupid.

Taxation on a business takes place in the profit margin. This means that every phase before the calculation of the profit remains completely unaffected. So what we have here is an equation: "Profit Margin – Profit Margin * Effective Tax Rate = Actual profit". The effective tax rate is, in every case save for ludicrous, unrealistic hypotheticals a rational number between 0 and 1 (well, to be fair, it also jumps those boundaries for certain multinational corporations; GE paid less than 0% taxes for the last few fiscal years). So, this means that the actual profit will never sink to or below 0. It might take a hit, but even then it will simply be making less total profit, not losing money. It is impossible to drive a company to bankruptcy through taxation.

Adding to the problem is the concept of progressive taxation. You know, that thing that conservatives seem to find so disgustingly unfair? Then the whole situation is made even more ridiculous when morons like Bill O'Reilly come on and say "if Obama starts taxing me at this rate, I won't be able to do this job any more!" Really, Bill? You'd stop doing something profitable and successful because it's slightly less profitable above the range that would make the average person really, really wealthy? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

NNID
Budget_Player
On the subject of stupid republican crap: GWB is writing a book. On economic growth.

No, seriously!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/us/politics/george-w-bush-briefly-visits-washington.html?_r=2

Some of my favorite books by the same publisher:

"A Guide to Men's Style" by Dennis Rodman
"Seniors with Sass: A Guide to Healthy Living and Sensible Lifestyles" by Keith Richards
"How to Win an Election" by Dan Quayle
"Writing Original Material that's Consistently Funny" by Carlos Mencia
"Avoiding Jailbait" by Roman Polanski
"The Difference Between Continents and Countries" by Sarah Palin
"Subtlety and Restraint in Filmmaking" by Michael Bay
"Looking Sober" by Kevin Rudd
"Calm and Rational Debate" by Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reily
"New and Innovative IPs: The Future of Gaming" by Bobby Kotick
"New and Innovative IPs: The Future of Gaming" by Shigeru Miyamoto
"Monogamy: a user's manual" by Newt Gingrich
"Cougar Hunting" by Silvio Berlusconi
"Knowing when to let it go" by Rupert Murdoch
"Knowing when to let it go" by Ron Paul
"Knowing when to let it go" by Stan Lee
"Decision Maker" by Nick Clegg
"Being the Top Dog" by Tony Blair
"Humility in Office" by Vladimir Putin
"How Not to Seem Insane" by Charles Manson
"Scientific Honesty and Integrity" by Kent Hovind, Eric Hovind, Ken Ham, and Kent Hovind
"Logic and How to Use It" by William Lane Craig
"Economic Growth and Stimulus" by George W. Bus–wait a minute...

Wait, I have more in me!

"Aging Gracefully" by Whitney Houston
"Sportsmanship and Fairness" by Bill Belichick
"Sportsmanship and Fairness" by Zinedine Zidane
"Grace and Composure" by Favor Flav
"Understanding Psychology" by Rhonda Byrne
"Successful Marriage Tips" by O. J. Simpson
"Where to Get a Tattoo" by Mike Tyson
"Backing the Will of the People" by John Boehner
"Respect for Minorities" by Jeff Dunham
"How to be Chill and not Hold Grudges" by Brandon Nance
"How to Cheat and Not Get Caught" by Bill Clinton
"Political Fair Play" by Karl Rove
"How not to be really Creepy" by Rick Santorum
"Hypocrisy: How to avoid it" by Ted Haggard
"Jokes: How Not to Beat Them to Death" by Budget Player Cadet

Jeez, I could do this all day!

NNID
Budget_Player
Oh god that was good Aesir.

So... what happened to our local Conservative Christian Whose Dump Stat Was Intelligence? Haven't seen him around in the last few days. :awesome:

(I can call him that, right?)

Also drunk posting. Whee.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I've been busy IRL; I can't spend all my time talking to you guys. (Not to mention it's somewhat hard to motivate myself to put together long posts when I just get the same answers over and over again.) But for the few moments I am here...

"The idiot's guide to subtlety" - BPC

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's because you always present the same kind of evidence which we've addressed before.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Come now, guys, there's no need for "low blows" now. But yeah, Nicholas, what GwJumpman just said is pretty much the case. You're going to have to come up with not only more convincing evidence, but different evidence as well.

NNID
Budget_Player
I've been busy IRL; I can't spend all my time talking to you guys. (Not to mention it's somewhat hard to motivate myself to put together long posts when I just get the same answers over and over again.) But for the few moments I am here...

"The idiot's guide to subtlety" - BPC
"Gullibility: How Not to Fall for Obvious Bull****" by Nicholas1024

...Dear god I've created a meme.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, the thing is, the bible is more than 2000 years old. All of those years, and you mean to imply that there hasn't been some kind of inconsistency in the wording of the scriptures? For all we know, what the disciples claim could have been distorted after years and years of word-of-mouth. It's not like the bible was written as the events took place either. I mean the New Testament was written approximately around the latter half of the first century, and considering there are many different versions of the same bible, it would stand to reason that some - if not, most - of the stories could have been grossly exaggerated.
Ah, this is where historical tests come into play. To go back to an old example, let's take Alexander the Great. The earliest known biographies were written roughly 400 years after his death, but are generally considered reliable by historians. In fact, the first 500 years kept Alexander's story roughly intact, it was in the second 500 years that legend started to seep in and noticeably distort things.

Contrast that with the Bible. The New Testament was written at most 50 years after Jesus's death, and at least some of the gospels were probably within 30 years. (The book of Acts is mostly about the life of the apostle Paul, and stops at his house arrest in Rome. It stands to reason that it was probably written before his beheading in 63 AD. Since Acts is basically the sequel to the gospel of Luke, therefore Luke was likely written within 30 years after Jesus's death.) For legend and word of mouth to distort things to the extent you're suggesting in that small of a time period would be unprecedented. Some of the original eyewitnesses would have still been alive, including skeptics. (Granted, life expectancy was lower back then, but we don't need EVERY witness to survive, just a few of them.) If the claims had gone from "Jesus was a good teacher" to "Jesus did miracles" in that timespan, the Pharisees and other hostile witnesses would have called them out on it. However, no such thing happened.

As far as the Bible being reliably passed down through the ages, we have more early copies and such of the Bible then of any other comparable text. My proving grounds thread had detailed information on that (I think it was in the OP, actually), but in short, we have a complete copy of the Bible dating from roughly the 3rd/4th century, and numerous other copies dating a couple centuries later, plus fragments dating from earlier (the earliest scrap is a couple of verses from John around 110 AD, IIRC.)

Here's a problem I have with your argument, Nic. You often give the disjunctive along the lines of:

Either the early followers thought Jesus was the son of god or they were lying.
The early followers were most likely not lying (for reasons A, B, and C)
Therefore, the early followers really did think Jesus was the son of god.

The problem is you're not exhausting the choices. Is it hard to believe that they DID think he was the son of god AND were wrong? I'm not adhering to a certain viewpoint myself since I haven't researched it enough, but is what I'm saying a possibility?
It depends on what you mean by that. It is a possibility in the BPC sense of "You can't disprove that Jesus might have been an alien with super ultra-tech gadgets to fake those miracles". However, I would argue that it's not a realistic possibility.

Consider that the disciples basically followed Jesus around for three years. They were his closest confidants. Furthermore, consider that some of the miracles they claimed included Jesus's transfiguration, watching him appear after his death and ascending into heaven, numerous healings, raising someone else from the dead, and finally, receiving the Holy Spirit after Jesus's ascension, and doing miracles themselves. If we're going to assume that the disciples were telling the truth and completely sane, the natural conclusion is that Jesus was indeed the Son of God. (Whether they were lying/insane is something I've dealt with exhaustively elsewhere.)

Too many issues with believing Christianity. Unsolvable problems of miracles, non-physical entities, paradoxical God properties, issues with the legitimacy of the Bible, lack of proof, poor construction of the Bible allowing interpretation and difference even among followers, questionable behavior, not to mention the unexplainable belief that there is a right and wrong in reality to begin with. With just one of these problems it is enough to find the idea not very appetizing, but we have all of these. In fact, those are just at the top of my head.
That list looks fairly suspect to me. Over half the list reads as "Problems with religion in general" (miracles, non-physical entities, lack of proof, belief in right and wrong), that more or less comes down to "I'm only going to accept natural explanations for any phenomenon". As far as the others go, that's basically touching on several different debates I've already participated in on these forums (morality, historical evidence, etc.)

Almost all religious people were raised in a religious environment, with a religious family. The only reason why people cling to it is because of the tradition rooted in so deep. Adults have a very low probability of changing their core beliefs because our childhoods have been proven psychologically to pretty much decide what we are later in life. I do not believe religion has no right to be here, but it is sad to see that it is so plainly something that functions almost like a mental disorder.
This is demonstrably wrong. Have you ever heard of Ray Comfort? Regardless of what you think regarding his stances on evolution, he goes out and witnesses, converting people to Christianity all the time. Obviously there are people who were raised Christian, but he does go out and convert people who are atheist, or just never really thought much about the issue.

Just adding something.

When Jesus was put on trial and asked to perform -just one- miracle for King Herod... he failed to do so.

Pilate didn't even ask him to do that. He just asked him to admit that it was the people that called him the son of God, and that Jesus hadn't actually made the claim himself.

He failed to that too.

So basically, even back then, all of Jesus' miracles were officially nothing more than hearsay.
Is this a serious argument? Because I feel like I'm being trolled here.

But to answer it anyway, are you familiar with Christian theology? The idea is that Jesus was supposed to be unjustly tried and executed despite being perfect so he could die for our sins. Jesus deliberately refused to perform a miracle or defend himself (either physically or from the accusations of the Pharisees) in order to fulfill the prophecies concerning his death.

Matthew 26:52-54 said:
"Put your sword back in it's place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"
In short, for you to claim that his refusal to perform a miracle in front of Herod/Pilate makes all his miracles automatically hearsay is cherry picking the Bible to fit your own conclusion.

@Dre
I'm afraid I don't follow your argument. It's clear that the only real objection is that I'm suggesting a supernatural explanation (as otherwise you can replace "Christianity" with any scientific theory and the same argument applies.) However, don't you yourself suggest a supernatural explanation for the beginning of the universe over a natural one? I suppose I might just be ignorant when it comes to metaphysics and philosophy, but what exactly differentiates your arguments for God from mine in such a fundamental manner?

@Sol Diviner
The problem I have is that roughly half the debate hall has pretty much said that it's impossible to prove God, even in theory.

@Economics debate
To put it bluntly, this is a different topic that I don't really care to debate in this thread. Make a new thread if you'd like to talk about it. (Even then, I don't normally debate politics, as I find doing so less than enjoyable.)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That list looks fairly suspect to me. Over half the list reads as "Problems with religion in general" (miracles, non-physical entities, lack of proof, belief in right and wrong), that more or less comes down to "I'm only going to accept natural explanations for any phenomenon".
Correction, I'm only going to accept logically possible explanations for any phenomenon. If miracles, non-physical entities, LACK OF PROOF, and the existence of an objective right and wrong can't even be shown to actually, you know, make sense, then I think most people would say that it isn't good enough. Just saiyan.

This is demonstrably wrong. Have you ever heard of Ray Comfort? Regardless of what you think regarding his stances on evolution, he goes out and witnesses, converting people to Christianity all the time. Obviously there are people who were raised Christian, but he does go out and convert people who are atheist, or just never really thought much about the issue.
Uh I didn't say it never happens otherwise, I am saying statistically the Christian population is overwhelmingly raised into it. ;)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It depends on what you mean by that. It is a possibility in the BPC sense of "You can't disprove that Jesus might have been an alien with super ultra-tech gadgets to fake those miracles". However, I would argue that it's not a realistic possibility.

Consider that the disciples basically followed Jesus around for three years. They were his closest confidants. Furthermore, consider that some of the miracles they claimed included Jesus's transfiguration, watching him appear after his death and ascending into heaven, numerous healings, raising someone else from the dead, and finally, receiving the Holy Spirit after Jesus's ascension, and doing miracles themselves. If we're going to assume that the disciples were telling the truth and completely sane, the natural conclusion is that Jesus was indeed the Son of God. (Whether they were lying/insane is something I've dealt with exhaustively elsewhere.)
Do you know that the miracles described in the bible occurred exactly as they were implied, in a supernatural way?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Nic maybe you should take time to answer the argument I posted before. It's something different for you to think about, and I won't insult you.

Also, the Alexander argument doesn't work because it doesn't claim the supernatural. If it did, we'd either only believe him to exist as a historical figure, or reject his existence entirely

The supernatural claims make it far more improbable that the Bible is true.

The fallacy in Christian thinking is that they apply the same criterion for ordinary texts as they do for ones which claim the supernatural. It'd be like requiring just as much evidence to trust someone's word that they ate an apple today as for if they said they could walk through walls.

But yeah you answer the argument I posted before.

Top Bottom