• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm not saying there's evidence, but that they could very well one day find proof of a possible afterlife, be it through spiritual forms, reincarnation, or other means. consciousness happens to be one subject that intrigues me the most. Plus, when we die, whether we simply rot in the ground or not, one thing that can be concluded is that the energy used for us to live doesn't fade away, since energy cannot be created or destroyed; it simply changes. Of course, that also raises the question of how the universe came to be in the first place, and trying to find the answer for that is probably the biggest wall for science to tackle, if it even can.
The whole conservation of energy thing doesn't imply an afterlife. If you die, the energy from your brain doesn't stay "brain energy". It gets used elsewhere. For all you know, your "brain energy" might end up coming out of a dog's rear end years later.

It's only out of the reigns now because science is currently limited and thus cannot understand the concept of a higher power. It's not like it's impossible for scientists to eventually come up with a conclusion backed up by facts in time. Will it ever happen? Who can say? If it does, it won't be while we're alive, that's for sure.
No, it's just not how science works. Science works in the NATURAL, not the SUPERNATURAL.

Wouldn't that be the job of metaphysicists? Where they philosophize, the scientists can try to research (keyword being "try"). Of course, if the metaphysicist him/herself is also a scientist, then they have the potential to find answers faster than your vanilla scientist, although they'd still be limited to whatever they can use, so their potential may not amount to much.
Beats me. I know as much about metaphysics as I do about the Street Fighter metagame, which isn't very much.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The whole conservation of energy thing doesn't imply an afterlife. If you die, the energy from your brain doesn't stay "brain energy". It gets used elsewhere. For all you know, your "brain energy" might end up coming out of a dog's rear end years later.
It doesn't imply an afterlife, but it's not out of the realm of impossibility. Frankly, I sometimes think that maybe the energy of George Washington's mind may have at one point powered my light bulb at the flick of a switch, just to be transferred elsewhere upon being shut off.
No, it's just not how science works. Science works in the NATURAL, not the SUPERNATURAL.
I get that. What I'm getting at is how one day, science could come to a point where it transcends past the natural and into the realm of the supernatural. The key term being "could".

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I have nothing more to say on this matter and I don't want this to go in circles any longer. Reread what you're saying and think it over.

:phone:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The supernatural is by definition unexaninable by science. If it could be explained by science it wouldn't be supernatural.

Aesir- I like Tyson because he stays within his expertise.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
It depends on what you require for proof. For instance, the following is a summary of my historical arguments for the new testament.

1. Jesus was a real human being 2000 years ago.
2. People (including his worst enemies) believed he did miracles.
3. He was crucified and buried.
4. Three days later, his body was not found in the tomb, and many people claim to have seen him walking around resurrected.
5. Due to the extreme persecution of people who called themselves Christians, they are unlikely to have been lying.
6. Due to how well the separate accounts match up, along with other corroborating evidence, it's unlikely that they were simply insane.

There are two main types of argument I tend to receive over the above. The first is a standard debate over one of the points I raised (i.e. "There's minor contradictions in the accounts, so they must be lying"). The other one (which is more relevant to this discussion) is that the points I raised aren't enough proof of Jesus being the Son of God.

So, to get to the point, the question at hand is "What exactly is enough evidence to believe in the supernatural?"

My stance on it is that the supernatural should be considered once every feasible natural explanation has been ruled out (and only then). Simply because it's impossible to ever completely rule out or confirm a supernatural explanation (much in the same way there's no way to 100% disprove that we're living in the matrix and everything's an illusion, etc.)

Anyway, to try a thought experiment, suppose a guy (we'll call him "Bob" for convenience) came to you and claimed God gave him the supernatural power of levitation (levitating himself, other objects, whatever), and offered to let you test said power in any way you wanted to. Given what we know about science today, what tests would you put him through to try and confirm/debunk the "supernatural power"? Also, if you couldn't find any natural explanation of said power, would you believe him when he claimed it was supernatural, or just assume it was some sort of future tech giving him that ability?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
My stance on it is that the supernatural should be considered once every feasible natural explanation has been ruled out (and only then).
There is a problem with this. Sure, it makes sense that if something happens that cannot be explained naturally, it could be supernatural. Okay, so how do we determine it's not natural? How do you know if you've exhausted all of the feasible explanations?

Anyway, to try a thought experiment, suppose a guy (we'll call him "Bob" for convenience) came to you and claimed God gave him the supernatural power of levitation (levitating himself, other objects, whatever), and offered to let you test said power in any way you wanted to. Given what we know about science today, what tests would you put him through to try and confirm/debunk the "supernatural power"?
I would invite him to contact the James Randi foundation and have someone who is a little more well-learned in testing to figure out ways to make sure what's happening isn't a trick. He would also win a million dollars, so that's a plus.

Also, if you couldn't find any natural explanation of said power, would you believe him when he claimed it was supernatural, or just assume it was some sort of future tech giving him that ability?
If I, personally, could not think of a natural explanation for the power based on my current knowledge, I would not assume it's supernatural. I don't know enough to judge that sort of thing.

Note: I'm deliberately ignoring the new testament argument, because I know we won't get anywhere on it soon based on what happened in the PG.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My stance on it is that the supernatural should be considered once every feasible natural explanation has been ruled out (and only then). Simply because it's impossible to ever completely rule out or confirm a supernatural explanation (much in the same way there's no way to 100% disprove that we're living in the matrix and everything's an illusion, etc.)
The problem is that theoretically, it's impossible to determine whether or not every feasible natural explanation has been exhausted, only because there are always new things to be discovered and understood. When those are exhausted, there will have been more things to work with to try to explain things. Will it result in something that can prove/debunk supernatural occurrences eventually? Maybe, maybe not. But it's highly doubtful they'll run out of feasible ways to try and find the answer to the supernatual.
Anyway, to try a thought experiment, suppose a guy (we'll call him "Bob" for convenience) came to you and claimed God gave him the supernatural power of levitation (levitating himself, other objects, whatever), and offered to let you test said power in any way you wanted to. Given what we know about science today, what tests would you put him through to try and confirm/debunk the "supernatural power"? Also, if you couldn't find any natural explanation of said power, would you believe him when he claimed it was supernatural, or just assume it was some sort of future tech giving him that ability?
If it wasn't a trick of some kind, or some future tech aiding in such levitation, if he is indeed using his own abilities, then I wouldn't classify that as supernatual. It would instead seem like something in his genetics allow him to achieve such a feat, in which case, it would be natural to him alone. Can it be studied? Possibly. Do we have the technology and knowledge to understand it at this time? Who can say? Is it superhuman? Most definitely. But it wouldn't be supernatural in that sense, if it's something he can accomplish with his own genetic gift.[/QUOTE]
Note: I'm deliberately ignoring the new testament argument, because I know we won't get anywhere on it soon based on what happened in the PG.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the PG and Debate Hall has had more than enough of those kinds of debates.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
1. Levitate liquid bodies of specified compositions.
2. Levitate the NASA shuttle crawler.

I think these would appropriately rule out "slight of hand" tricks. However, none of these tests verify the causal mechanism. In other words, we still don't know how he is doing it. I could be wrong that its impossible to levitate liquids and still maintain surface tension. To extend the conclusion any farther than simply we don't know is to make an argument from ignorance. There is a phenomena called quantum locking which is kind of like levitation. You simply put the object into place and let go and it will stay there. You can freely manipulate the object and let it rest in space (seen here). This just goes to show that when you think you know everything, something new comes along to make what you previously thought was impossible to be doable by the laws of physics. This is why arguments from ignorance are not persuasive.

Aesir

Smash Master
It depends on what you require for proof. For instance, the following is a summary of my historical arguments for the new testament.

4. Three days later, his body was not found in the tomb, and many people claim to have seen him walking around resurrected.
5. Due to the extreme persecution of people who called themselves Christians, they are unlikely to have been lying.
6. Due to how well the separate accounts match up, along with other corroborating evidence, it's unlikely that they were simply insane.

There are two main types of argument I tend to receive over the above. The first is a standard debate over one of the points I raised (i.e. "There's minor contradictions in the accounts, so they must be lying"). The other one (which is more relevant to this discussion) is that the points I raised aren't enough proof of Jesus being the Son of God.

So, to get to the point, the question at hand is "What exactly is enough evidence to believe in the supernatural?"

Please don't confuse Jesus the man with Jesus the myth. I'm sure there was a guy 2000 years ago who thought he was divine and had some truly radical ideas of the time. No credible source outside the bible verifies these miracles.

If I said that evidence of a reporter at a big news paper used aggressive journalism to crack down on the illegal and dangerous practices of a large multinational corporation which eventually brought the CEO of that Corporation to justice was somehow proof of superman you would call me crazy. Lets be consistent here.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I have an argument against biblical historicism that I'll make a thread for when I get home. It's different to what we've discussed before.

NNID
Budget_Player

Is this based on the same evidence as in your previous thread? If so, I'm completely uninterested in an argument that tries to use the gospels as evidence, and offers as corroborating evidence sources which have been almost entirely discredited.

...And this is why I do not believe in the supernatural. Good luck ruling out every feasible natural explanation in any situation. By default, actions which directly contradict the known laws of nature are the least feasible solutions to any given problem.

Case in point: how could you determine that this was a supernatural power? Saying "we don't know of a natural explanation" is nice, but because the action itself is effective within the natural world, the most reasonable solution is not "god did it", but rather "we don't know how he can do it". I'd assume some sort of futuristic technology or bizarre biological mutation before I assumed "it's because of something supernatural", because that last answer is nothing more than a dead end with 0 explanatory power.

@Dre: if you think you have proof of god not based on faith, then by all means, let's hear it. Valid proof of god is still not something I have ever seen.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I said my argument is against biblical historicism, not for it. Although I have an argument for God not based on faith anyway.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
And this is pretty much the main problem I have with the new testament debate, nobody's willing to accept anything as evidence of a miracle.

Here's my open question to everyone, what historical testimony would you actually submit as evidence? What usually happens is something along the following.

1. I argue that due to the authors [of the New Testament] being under extreme persecution and likely tortured to death, they were unlikely to knowingly lie.

2. The other debater throws out the gospels anyway, just because the authors were Christian. The same goes for any corroborating evidence from the early church.

3. I point to other corroborating evidence written by non-Christian authors (You can check my past thread in the PG for sources, such as Tacitus, the Talmud, etc.).

4. It gets thrown out because there's a possibility later Christian copyists might have modified it.

5. I ask just what kind of evidence would the other debater accept.

6. Answer varies, but it's usually ends up being "effectively nothing."

In short, it'd be much like if I insisted you argue for evolution using only experiments/fossils carried out/found by creationists. Pretty much the only conclusion that gets reached is that neither side can prove their point to the other side's satisfaction.

@Dre
I'd be interested in seeing your argument sometime. By the way, any luck on getting Jaswa to come back to these boards?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The problem with proving miracles is that they're impossible. Under the definition that a miracle is something that happens that cannot happen under natural conditions, of course it's safe to say that you don't think miracles happen.

Hitchens was once asked if he thought miracles were possible and he said something like this: "Do I think something impossible can happen? Of course not."

Let me ask you this nicholas. What would it take for you to believe something impossible happened? What evidence would it take?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
@Aesir
Please define "primary source of history", as I'm not sure what you mean by that.

@GwJumpman
Well, I'd either want the impossible to happen in front of me, in conditions that ensure there's no sleight of hand going on (To take the levitation example, perhaps getting the person to levitate a building or other object of my choosing), or I'd want reliable testimony about it. (A group of scientists/skeptics running the above test and reporting their results.)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This is why people tire of debates relating to religion, especially the bible. People cannot simply say the scriptures are fact, but have no means to back it up outside of what the bible says. Also, the bible itself changes as well, hence the King James versions.

As to proving miracles, well, I would just end up repeating what others say, but it's impossible to prove a miracle happened. Also, as for the miracles detailed in the bible, they could have suffered the "telephone effect" and have their stories completely different from what actually happened, whether it's Moses parting the river, or Jonah and the big fish/whale. For all we know, the parting of the river was actually a time of low tides, allowing them to cross a stretch of land before the high tides came in. Of course, we could never truly know without actual proof, and therein lies the problem with debates like these.

Aesir

Smash Master
@Aesir
Please define "primary source of history", as I'm not sure what you mean by that.

@GwJumpman
Well, I'd either want the impossible to happen in front of me, in conditions that ensure there's no sleight of hand going on (To take the levitation example, perhaps getting the person to levitate a building or other object of my choosing), or I'd want reliable testimony about it. (A group of scientists/skeptics running the above test and reporting their results.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_source#History_and_historiography

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Miracles aren't impossible because the laws of universe are contingent, they could have been otherwise, so they can technicall be defied.

Nic- I'll make the thread soon. I'll try get Jaswa back too.

NNID
Budget_Player
@GwJumpman
...But if it happened, then clearly, it is not impossible. And here we come to the paradox of a miracle: something which by definition is impossible has to happen. That doesn't work. It makes every other explanation that fits with what we know about natural law, no matter how bizarre or unlikely, a more reasonable starting point. Of course, this ignores the fact that the actual evidence for anything one could even count as miraculous is piss-poor.

And this is pretty much the main problem I have with the new testament debate, nobody's willing to accept anything as evidence of a miracle.
Of course not! A miracle, being quite possibly the least likely event possible in the universe, requires absolutely extraordinary evidence! Hell, I'd go so far as to say that testimony is altogether an absolutely terrible medium to record evidence for something so fantastic. There is no amount of historical documents that could convince me that the earth was once flat, and there is no amount of historical documents that could convince me that a man rose from the dead.

And, of course, once we come into the modern times, where there are things like digital cameras and camcorders, such "miracles" are noticeably nonexistent. Almost as if they only happened back when it was impossible to record real verification for them. And back then, they happened a lot.
Now, I don't know about you, but when I hear something like that, my first thought isn't "God is doing less miracles", it's "Maybe 'historical documents' written and edited by people with a conflict of interest claiming things that are all but impossible aren't the most reliable sources."

Here's my open question to everyone, what historical testimony would you actually submit as evidence? What usually happens is something along the following.

1. I argue that due to the authors [of the New Testament] being under extreme persecution and likely tortured to death, they were unlikely to knowingly lie.
Much like the Martyrs of other extremist brainwashed cults? Yes, these people martyring themselves doesn't make a lot of sense. You know what else doesn't make a lot of sense? This guy. Or rather, the girls he has raised into his family. Just sayin'. That a few people were brainwashed by an influential leader far enough to turn themselves into martyrs for their "god" is, on the grand scheme of things, not that unlikely. It certainly doesn't trump "a man walked on water and brought his friend back to life" on the unlikeliness scale.

2. The other debater throws out the gospels anyway, just because the authors were Christian. The same goes for any corroborating evidence from the early church.
We throw them out because they were written and edited by people with an extreme vested interest in the legitimacy of incredible claims, contain things which are absolutely ludicrous in their own right, contradict each other, show a clear agenda (Matthew, IIRC, was written so as to fulfill as many of the old testament prophecies as possible), and are corroborated in claims which are absolutely unbelievable by almost no contemporary sources, and certainly no contemporary sources that are beyond reproach.

Remember, this is a book claiming that a man raised his friend from the dead (among other, lesser miracles). You'd think that'd make "Roman Nightly News", wouldn't you?

3. I point to other corroborating evidence written by non-Christian authors (You can check my past thread in the PG for sources, such as Tacitus, the Talmud, etc.).
Your sources suck.

4. It gets thrown out because there's a possibility later Christian copyists might have modified it.
Not just possible, extremely likely. Like, as in "this was church doctrine for a while".

5. I ask just what kind of evidence would the other debater accept.

6. Answer varies, but it's usually ends up being "effectively nothing."
You're asking me to believe that a man rose from the dead after 3 days. That this same man previously brought his friend back to life and walked on water during a storm.

If I may respond with my own question in a similar vein... How much historical evidence would you need to accept that the Earth was actually flat 1000 years ago? Trick question; the correct answer is "no amount of historical documents could ever convince me of that". Because it's completely ridiculous and absolutely unbelievable.

In short, it'd be much like if I insisted you argue for evolution using only experiments/fossils carried out/found by creationists. Pretty much the only conclusion that gets reached is that neither side can prove their point to the other side's satisfaction.
Wow, as far as unfair comparisons go, this one kinda takes the cake. I'm not asking you for non-christian evidence. I'm asking you to not use the document you're trying to establish as legitimate as proof. Not to mention that we aren't arguing for evolution based on century-old religious texts, but rather fossil and genetic evidence that each and every person can go look at right now if they want.

Another comparison you like bringing up is Alexander the Great, for which there supposedly is no evidence. There's a few key differences there as well though. For starters, raising someone from the dead is completely and utterly unheard of, and has never been demonstrated to actually happen. A king conquering a massive area? Look through your history textbook and you'll find tons of it, from Charlemagne to Caesar to the Ottoman Empire to the British Empire. Furthermore, it doesn't actually make a huge day-to-day difference if Alexander was real or not – if the Gospels were accurate, then that makes a gigantic difference in almost every aspect of our lives.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Miracles aren't impossible because the laws of universe are contingent, they could have been otherwise, so they can technicall be defied.

Nic- I'll make the thread soon. I'll try get Jaswa back too.

But if a miracle DOES happen, it can't be classified as a miracle then.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This is why I believe the bible is a book filled with misinterpretations of whatever had actually happened during those times. Was there ever a Jesus Christ? I'm sure there was. Did he perform the miracles that was described in the bible? I'm going to hazard a bet that no, he didn't. Perhaps he did great things for a man of his background, but over the years, I'm sure people misinterpreted stories of Jesus, resulting in stories of how much of a miracle worker he's portrayed to be now. This is but one example. The only real way we'd know for sure, is if there's somehow a means for going back in time and witnessing what happened ourselves, but I'm not taking bets on that ever happening anytime soon or ever.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
...But if it happened, then clearly, it is not impossible. And here we come to the paradox of a miracle: something which by definition is impossible has to happen. That doesn't work. It makes every other explanation that fits with what we know about natural law, no matter how bizarre or unlikely, a more reasonable starting point. Of course, this ignores the fact that the actual evidence for anything one could even count as miraculous is piss-poor.

Of course not! A miracle, being quite possibly the least likely event possible in the universe, requires absolutely extraordinary evidence! Hell, I'd go so far as to say that testimony is altogether an absolutely terrible medium to record evidence for something so fantastic. There is no amount of historical documents that could convince me that the earth was once flat, and there is no amount of historical documents that could convince me that a man rose from the dead.
BPC, just what sort of personal vendetta do you have against the very idea of God anyway?

And, of course, once we come into the modern times, where there are things like digital cameras and camcorders, such "miracles" are noticeably nonexistent. Almost as if they only happened back when it was impossible to record real verification for them. And back then, they happened a lot.
Now, I don't know about you, but when I hear something like that, my first thought isn't "God is doing less miracles", it's "Maybe 'historical documents' written and edited by people with a conflict of interest claiming things that are all but impossible aren't the most reliable sources."
Actually, I've heard claims of miracles performed by other Christians, but I haven't actually investigated to see which (if any) would hold up. For instance, Ray Comfort has claimed to have seen demonic possession (and driven them out), but somehow I doubt you'd take that as evidence.

Much like the Martyrs of other extremist brainwashed cults? Yes, these people martyring themselves doesn't make a lot of sense. You know what else doesn't make a lot of sense? This guy. Or rather, the girls he has raised into his family. Just sayin'. That a few people were brainwashed by an influential leader far enough to turn themselves into martyrs for their "god" is, on the grand scheme of things, not that unlikely. It certainly doesn't trump "a man walked on water and brought his friend back to life" on the unlikeliness scale.
*sigh*. How many times have I answered the insanity complaint? Let's go over the reasons why this comparison is stupid one more time.

1. Being a martyr simply means that the person in question believes their story to be true. Martyrs today (say, the Muslim suicide bombers from 9/11) weren't actually there to see the supposedly miraculous events happen. The disciples were there, and were more or less the leaders of the Christian faith. Whatever happened, they would indeed know about it.

2. The theory you're proposing, is that a dozen crazies somehow managed to agree on a theology, as well as the major details of what Jesus did 30 years after the fact, and convince thousands of other people to the point of martyrdom, all against the complete opposition of both the local Jewish leaders, and the Roman government.

We throw them out because they were written and edited by people with an extreme vested interest in the legitimacy of incredible claims, contain things which are absolutely ludicrous in their own right, contradict each other, show a clear agenda (Matthew, IIRC, was written so as to fulfill as many of the old testament prophecies as possible), and are corroborated in claims which are absolutely unbelievable by almost no contemporary sources, and certainly no contemporary sources that are beyond reproach.
Let's deal with these one at a time.

1. An "extreme vested interest"? When people are being burned alive for being called Christians, the vested interest of staying alive tends to trump everything else. The disciples lost just about everything, there was no power or money involved in being a Christian.

2. "Contain things which are absolutely ludicrous" - aka: "Because they contain miracles." So, what you're saying is that "Jesus never did miracles" is both a premise and conclusion here.

3. The way the gospels "contradict each other" is completely on minor points. Most (if not all) of the time, there's reasonable ways to reconcile these supposed contradictions, and even if there wasn't, you'd expect two people writing about events 30 years after the fact to have slightly differing memories of how it happened. If the gospels were any more similar, they'd lose their value as independent sources.

4. "Show a clear agenda." Back then, documents were written with a clear purpose in mind. People didn't just record history for the purpose of recording history, everything had an agenda.

5. Regarding the last part of the paragraph, would you mind rewriting it if you want me to actually address it? You mangled the grammar so badly I'm not entirely sure what it is you're saying.

Remember, this is a book claiming that a man raised his friend from the dead (among other, lesser miracles). You'd think that'd make "Roman Nightly News", wouldn't you?
Considering the amount of religions going on in the Roman empire, where such claims were fairly common... no, I don't think it would. By all accounts it wasn't until Christianity grew into more than a local phenomenon that the Roman government actually cared at all.

Your sources suck.
Ladies and gentlemen, here on display we have BPC's amazing debating skills! I'm sure all of you wish you could craft an argument as eloquent as this, something so completely impossible for the other side to answer that they just shake their head and move on. (Yes, I'm just a little annoyed by this point.)

Not just possible, extremely likely. Like, as in "this was church doctrine for a while".
Right. Someone please explain to me why there isn't massive variation in these collaborating sources, (as you'd hardly expect 30 different corrupt copyists to modify the same document in exactly the same way), and why the false gospels that were dismissed as lies (like the Gospel of Thomas), or the Jewish Talmud (calling Jesus demon possessed, and such) managed to survive.

Also, does this mean I get to assume every fossil of a transitional form is a forgery until proven otherwise? After all, it probably passed through the hands of an atheist scientist at some point, and even if it didn't, the original finder might have doctored it so they'd get good money for the fossil, and perhaps even appear on TV. (Not a serious claim, but I think you get my point.)

You're asking me to believe that a man rose from the dead after 3 days. That this same man previously brought his friend back to life and walked on water during a storm.
Yep. You could raise this objection against almost any religion, really. I would like to point out that many of science's claims have initially sounded just as implausible before being verified.

If I may respond with my own question in a similar vein... How much historical evidence would you need to accept that the Earth was actually flat 1000 years ago? Trick question; the correct answer is "no amount of historical documents could ever convince me of that". Because it's completely ridiculous and absolutely unbelievable.
Basically you're claiming there since there's no natural way for someone to rise from the dead, therefore it's impossible. Or in other words, that nothing should be evidence of a miracle. (We also have scientific evidence that the world was round 1000 years ago, you can't prove via science that Jesus didn't exist.)

But to answer your question, if say Columbus had sailed to the edge of our "flat earth", lost a ship off the side, sailed back, and his entire crew stuck to their story despite being thrown in the dungeons and executed, showing no sign of insanity, AND there was no conflicting scientific or historic evidence, then I'd be willing to believe it.

Wow, as far as unfair comparisons go, this one kinda takes the cake. I'm not asking you for non-christian evidence. I'm asking you to not use the document you're trying to establish as legitimate as proof. Not to mention that we aren't arguing for evolution based on century-old religious texts, but rather fossil and genetic evidence that each and every person can go look at right now if they want.
Um... what? You've outright said that you won't take anything as evidence on the grounds of miracles being impossible. I could give you a time machine to watch the events for yourself, and you'd still come up with some way to deny it.

You know, you could go and look at the historical evidence right now if you want. I'm not seriously trying to argue against evolution here, merely pointing out that if I'm allowed to use the same criteria as you, evolution wouldn't stand a chance. (Among other illogical leaps, I could claim that a single faked fossil discredits the entire theory, that any evidence was forged by atheist scientists, and of course that evolution is impossible because evolution is impossible.)

Another comparison you like bringing up is Alexander the Great, for which there supposedly is no evidence. There's a few key differences there as well though. For starters, raising someone from the dead is completely and utterly unheard of, and has never been demonstrated to actually happen. A king conquering a massive area? Look through your history textbook and you'll find tons of it, from Charlemagne to Caesar to the Ottoman Empire to the British Empire. Furthermore, it doesn't actually make a huge day-to-day difference if Alexander was real or not – if the Gospels were accurate, then that makes a gigantic difference in almost every aspect of our lives.
Way to take me out of context, BPC. The comparison was made into response to accusations that "legend distorted the gospels over the 30 year gap between the events and when they were written." My point is that several hundred year gaps are the norm in ancient history, and that that standard of proof would require tossing out most of what we know about ancient times.

@Aesir
No, I was taken extremely out of context.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Nic, the reason BPC has such trouble with the notion of god is because your specific god claim is, pardon how I word this, stupid.

When you go into personality and specific tales about the god, it gets to the point where you can't really back up what you're saying.

At least with Dre, his idea of a god is a much more reasonable explanation for the universe.

Sieguest

Smash Master
The God Debate is an endless circle of "No, you're stupid"s flying around except it's decorated with vocabulary.

Also Gw, I wouldn't say that his notion is stupid. It's highly specific, which is to be expected when you follow certain religions. (Christian).

Dre's notion of God isn't tied down by specific personality traits or writings of works done, which so many in opposition to the idea of God(the notion developed from specific religions) always tend to strike at first. His deals simply with an entity with the ability to create and manipulate object and events in the universe. Then the argument is simplified to just explaining the existence of some being operating outside of our physical understanding.

That's my understanding of it.

NNID
Budget_Player
BPC, just what sort of personal vendetta do you have against the very idea of God anyway?
Hey, how about you actually attack the point instead of insinuating that I have a personal vendetta against a ludicrous idea? If I was here for adhoms, I'd go back to The Escapist. Their forums aren't dead. :awesome: Seriously though, what's wrong with this logic? When looking for an explanation for a given phenomenon, "some supernatural being breaking the laws of nature" should be the last place we go to look.

Actually, I've heard claims of miracles performed by other Christians, but I haven't actually investigated to see which (if any) would hold up. For instance, Ray Comfort has claimed to have seen demonic possession (and driven them out), but somehow I doubt you'd take that as evidence.
I've heard tons of claims. What I have not seen is any evidence or substantiation. Faith healing that fails, demon possession that have been explained through other means, and claims of miraculous events without even the slightest shred of evidence... Again, we have this simple problem that, in an age where a large number of the people in the first world have a video camera built into a device that they always have on their body, there is no evidence of anything even resembling a miracle. At least, no evidence that holds up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

*sigh*. How many times have I answered the insanity complaint? Let's go over the reasons why this comparison is stupid one more time.

1. Being a martyr simply means that the person in question believes their story to be true. Martyrs today (say, the Muslim suicide bombers from 9/11) weren't actually there to see the supposedly miraculous events happen. The disciples were there, and were more or less the leaders of the Christian faith. Whatever happened, they would indeed know about it.

2. The theory you're proposing, is that a dozen crazies somehow managed to agree on a theology, as well as the major details of what Jesus did 30 years after the fact, and convince thousands of other people to the point of martyrdom, all against the complete opposition of both the local Jewish leaders, and the Roman government.
You know what? It's still both more realistic and more feasible than "A person existed who walked on water, turned water into wine, brought a person back to life, and rose from the dead". I don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp. I reject the idea that the disciples were telling the truth, and I think there's a lot more to consider in here then you are bringing up.

Let's deal with these one at a time.

1. An "extreme vested interest"? When people are being burned alive for being called Christians, the vested interest of staying alive tends to trump everything else. The disciples lost just about everything, there was no power or money involved in being a Christian.
I'm not talking about the immediate time after the death of Jesus. I'm talking about a few hundred years later. You know, back when they voted on the contents of the new testament? Not to mention explicitly left out the gospels written that presented Jesus as less than the son of god?

2. "Contain things which are absolutely ludicrous" - aka: "Because they contain miracles." So, what you're saying is that "Jesus never did miracles" is both a premise and conclusion here.
Do you disagree that it is absolutely ludicrous for a person to come back to life after being dead for an extended period of time? Calling it a "miracle" doesn't weaken the fact that what you are bringing up is less at home in a work of historical fiction and more at home in Aesop's Fables. The fact of the matter is, the new testament describes events which are absolutely preposterous, and were this any other historical text, regardless of the circumstances of its creations, it would be dismissed out of hand due to the absolutely ludicrous nature of the claims therein.

My statement at this point is simple: no amount of historical documents will convince me that something which flies in the face of everything that we have learned about reality using modern methods happened. Especially not when it's packed in the same book as a talking snake, dragons, unicorns, giants, and a perfect, omnibenevolent creator who kills almost everything on the planet because they weren't as pious as he wanted them to be.

I do not give a damn how unrealistic it is that the bible was not a historical document, that the authors were lying or not who they claimed to be, or that the authors were genuinely fooled by a cult leader. It's the option that doesn't involve completely overturning our current understanding of natural constants; the option that doesn't invoke the supernatural. And this is our sticking point: you seem far less willing than I am to reject claims that are patently impossible.

But hang on, it gets better! Not only are you willing to accept claims that are impossible, but you are willing to do so on the basis of one book, whose source materials were written almost 2000 years ago, using as an excuse the idea that "they wouldn't be so stupid" when in fact the authorship and dating on the material in question is highly suspect, and there are similar gospels from the same time period which don't seem to be quite as miraculous.

So, in short... I guess what I'm saying is, you seem to be almost disgustingly gullible. This **** belongs in the Brothers Grimm.

5. Regarding the last part of the paragraph, would you mind rewriting it if you want me to actually address it? You mangled the grammar so badly I'm not entirely sure what it is you're saying.
Your non-gospel sources are crap. That's the short version.

Ladies and gentlemen, here on display we have BPC's amazing debating skills! I'm sure all of you wish you could craft an argument as eloquent as this, something so completely impossible for the other side to answer that they just shake their head and move on. (Yes, I'm just a little annoyed by this point.)
What, you want me to link to Iron Chariots or Wikipedia as well? I figured I'd save myself the time, because from what I remember from your thread on the subject, all of your contemporary sources are bad, and have been taken to task as often as NephilimFree has.

Right. Someone please explain to me why there isn't massive variation in these collaborating sources, (as you'd hardly expect 30 different corrupt copyists to modify the same document in exactly the same way), and why the false gospels that were dismissed as lies (like the Gospel of Thomas), or the Jewish Talmud (calling Jesus demon possessed, and such) managed to survive.
I retract this claim; I don't have the evidence to back it up the way I thought I did. My own sources are little shakier on that than I thought. However, I don't regret saying it, as...

Also, does this mean I get to assume every fossil of a transitional form is a forgery until proven otherwise? After all, it probably passed through the hands of an atheist scientist at some point, and even if it didn't, the original finder might have doctored it so they'd get good money for the fossil, and perhaps even appear on TV. (Not a serious claim, but I think you get my point.)
Do I even have to respond to this? Is there anyone here who doesn't see how stupid this comparison is? Like, for starters, that we could easily reconstruct a few steps back into the tree of life with genetics alone? Or that there is massive corroborative evidence across fields as diverse as paleontology, virology, and geology? Or that evolution doesn't violate any part of our understanding of the laws of nature?

Yep. You could raise this objection against almost any religion, really.
:awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

I would like to point out that many of science's claims have initially sounded just as implausible before being verified.
Class, would anyone like to point out the crucial part of this sentence? ^_^

(Please, please tell me you understand the difference between historical documents from a few thousand years ago and modern, recorded scientific experimentation)

Basically you're claiming there since there's no natural way for someone to rise from the dead, therefore it's impossible. Or in other words, that nothing should be evidence of a miracle. (We also have scientific evidence that the world was round 1000 years ago, you can't prove via science that Jesus didn't exist.)

But to answer your question, if say Columbus had sailed to the edge of our "flat earth", lost a ship off the side, sailed back, and his entire crew stuck to their story despite being thrown in the dungeons and executed, showing no sign of insanity, AND there was no conflicting scientific or historic evidence, then I'd be willing to believe it.
Funny, because this changes quite a few variables. Things like:
– Conflicting accounts
– Uncertainty of authorship
– Distancing from the event

And you know what? Even then, I'd still reject the notion, because it is ****ing impossible. No, seriously, ****ing impossible. I don't care how good your historical documents are, I don't care under what kind of duress the author was; if your claim is something that is patently impossible according to our modern, scientific understanding of nature, then no amount of historical documents are ever going to be good enough. You're going to have to do way better than that.

Um... what? You've outright said that you won't take anything as evidence on the grounds of miracles being impossible. I could give you a time machine to watch the events for yourself, and you'd still come up with some way to deny it.
Yep. You've got two different things mixed up here. This whole argument is almost entirely based on your assertion of the historicity of the bible – I'm saying "no ****ing way, that **** is ludicrous!". Whether or not other evidence of miracles would work is another question entirely, but I will refer you back to posts by Jumpman or Dre. – if a miracle happens, it's no longer classifiable as a miracle.

You know, you could go and look at the historical evidence right now if you want. I'm not seriously trying to argue against evolution here, merely pointing out that if I'm allowed to use the same criteria as you, evolution wouldn't stand a chance. (Among other illogical leaps, I could claim that a single faked fossil discredits the entire theory, that any evidence was forged by atheist scientists, and of course that evolution is impossible because evolution is impossible.)
Addressed this above. This comparison is so unfair, it makes a cage match between Mike Tyson and Ike Broflovski seem like even odds.

TL;DR: if you think that a small assortment (or single, depending on how you look at it) historical source from 2000 years ago is good enough to overturn our current scientific understanding of the universe, then I think I might have a bridge to sell you.

And, just to note: if the gospels weren't advocating such incredibly insane claims, I might very well accept it as a viable source. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and there's no denying that this is pretty ****ing extraordinary.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
ghosti's post for the win.

It should be noted that the only difference between today's religions and those of ancient times is the efficacy of their churches.

Just sayin'

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But if a miracle DOES happen, it can't be classified as a miracle then.
No, that's an impossible event. An impossible event would be something existing and not existing at the same time, because it defies a necessary law of logic.

Miracles simply defy the laws of nature. These laws aren't necessary laws of logic, they're contingent, they could have been otherwise. It's just that without the assumed existence of a God, this defiance is incredibly improbable.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I should've worded it differently. I should've said:

But if a miracle DOES happen, it shouldn't be classified as a miracle then.

Miracles simply defy the laws of nature. These laws aren't necessary laws of logic, they're contingent, they could have been otherwise. It's just that without the assumed existence of a God, this defiance is incredibly improbable.
Even going by that, anything miracle-status that would happen would be more likely a natural event that is not yet understood rather than a supernatural one. Seeing as miracles defy the laws of nature, we cannot set a standard on the properties of miracles, so we can't base miracles of any sort of criteria and thus make miracles a redundant concept.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How precisely are the laws of nature contingent, as in, could have been otherwise? Why aren't they necessary? Are they not only contingent under the assumption that there is a God with a free will? Can a free will be explained and justified to not only exist but be proven to exist necessarily for a necessary "God" entity?

I am also a bit confused as to this very passive talk of miracles, and the lack of explaining how things can be "above" the laws of nature and manipulate the laws of nature, presumably through non-physical means, and make sense? Everyone who has proposed non-physical things and things that are "above" the laws of nature admitted that even philosophically it couldn't be explained. What you get, from what I've gathered from people talking about it, is that non-physical things like this couldn't even have properties, let alone be placed spatially in a physical space (considering, it is non-physical, so it must not be neither here nor there).

Am I just stupid/misguided with this last part here? BPC makes me feel stupid, I wish I could whip out the things he is saying off hand with people I encounter in person. I mean, everytime I mention anything like that, I either get ignored or shrugged off? It has come to the point where I believe I need a philosophy lesson in here, there are things that I can't wrap my head around and feel that I should be able to because several people apparently do very easily.

NNID
Budget_Player
BPC makes me feel stupid, I wish I could whip out the things he is saying off hand with people I encounter in person.
I dunno what's so hard about the concepts I'm bringing up. It's really nothing more than an extension of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Or, in this case, "the claim that a guy rose from the dead after 3 days is sure as hell gonna need better ****ing evidence than the anecdotal claims of a 2000-year-old book". Believing that kind of crap scouts you as a gullible fool in almost any other context.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm not saying what you are posting is complicated, perhaps I worded that poorly. It's basically how I feel, I just don't know how I would explain it if someone came to me in person and asked me how I felt about the Bible's legitimacy etc. I am bad with stuff like that, which is why I am here on message boards.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I personally love the way BPC goes about arguing. Compared to everyone else, including me a lot of the time, who posts as if they're best buds with Socrates or something, it's a breath of fresh air.

Top Bottom