• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well of course you think so, you'd reject ANY argument for God except one that uses only logic, and proving just about anything (outside of mathematics) with only logic is nigh impossible. So excuse me if I try to restrict my debates to people more reasonable and at least somewhat civil.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just curious Nic, why do you always say my name in capitals? The letters for Dre don't stand for anything, it's just an abbreviation for my first name.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How come I can't name-search my name? I typed in "Dre" and it says the search produced no results, when just a few posts before this one Underdoggs says "Dre".

I seem to be able name-search other things, but not that. Anyone know why?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
How come I can't name-search my name? I typed in "Dre" and it says the search produced no results, when just a few posts before this one Underdoggs says "Dre".

I seem to be able name-search other things, but not that. Anyone know why?
It might be too short. I tried to search for "the" and it came back with no answers despite there being occurrences of it.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Now that the DHST has undergone a bit of a revamp (a good one! I foresee a lot of fresh debate topics as a result of this), I would like to say that the "no how was your day" rules still apply. Think of this as a hub of intellectual socializing. People can talk about things they're doing to feed their brain muscle and possibly DH member meetups if people are going to nearby tourneys and stuff. Fire off little mini-thoughts they've had and see if there's interest in a debate. Stuff like that.

Anyways, as you were, boys. I'm quite interested in BPC's point about good atheist vs terrible (but technically adequate) Christian/Catholic, because that's a question that has wracked my mind for quite some time. And the minds of some unusually reasonable and forward-thinking Christian buddies, as well.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks Rv.

Anyways, as you were, boys. I'm quite interested in BPC's point about good atheist vs terrible (but technically adequate) Christian/Catholic, because that's a question that has wracked my mind for quite some time. And the minds of some unusually reasonable and forward-thinking Christian buddies, as well.
It gets worse. For example, you could have Muslims X and Y. X is committed to his faith, does all his prayers, reads up on theology, does good deeds etc. Muslim Y is flimsy in his faith, and leads a life of bad deeds, and just before death stumbles across the Bible, and converts based on the fact he thinks Christianity is cooler.

The ironic thing is that X goes and to Hell, and Y goes to Heaven, when X was the one who exhibited all the traits that are desirable in a Christian.

Also, you have the problem of people who existed prior to Jesus. Even if the Prot says that they automatically go to Heaven, then that isn't fair on the people prior to Christ. Also, if they can automatically go to Heaven, then seeing as God has the power to accept those who don't have the faith, He should be accepting those who do good deeds but don't accept the faith, whether they be prior or post Christ.

If you can't tell, I could go on and on about how illogical Protestantism is. People who clump all of religion, or even just Christianity together are doing an injustice to the more reasonable religions/denominations.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
@Dre
Regarding your name, I'm not sure why I do it like that, force of habit I guess.

Regarding your argument... is the social thread still being used for debating or not? I want that settled before I reply.

NNID
Budget_Player
Well of course you think so, you'd reject ANY argument for God except one that uses only logic, and proving just about anything (outside of mathematics) with only logic is nigh impossible. So excuse me if I try to restrict my debates to people more reasonable and at least somewhat civil.
And you're proposing arguments about a non-physical being based on physical evidence. Never mind that you're strawmanning my position something awful.

I see BPC hasn't learned anything from his time being banned.
What? Dude, you take lines directly from Banana Man, lines that sound as ridiculous from your lips as from his, and expect not to get mocked for it?

(plus BPC's "little green men from mars are more reasonable than God" garbage) for every post I make.
Oh look a straw man.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Regarding your argument... is the social thread still being used for debating or not? I want that settled before I reply.
It's not.

Warnings and/or infractions will ensue for further debates in this thread.

(Honestly, I'm starting to think I should just close this thread)

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
A social thread is useful for finding out if there is sufficient interest for a debate, and since I suppose that this can be considered the non-BRoom "intellectual" corner of this site, it's a good place to talk with people who have informed opinions.

I really don't think this should be closed.

NNID
Budget_Player
Aw man, but then me and Dre will have to go back to exchanging yo-mommas and **** jokes on the side in other debate threads, and we were already told to knock that off... Where would we do it? My e-peen (which, while about 6 inches long, is still 5 inches longer than Dre.'s) demands it! :troll:

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Speaking of purgatory, what exactly is it? I'm a good protestant, and I have no clue about it, even though I've dated two Catholics.

Not a debate question, by the way.
"Purgatory is the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment in which, it is believed, the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven." - wikipedia

EDIT:: I see you guys somehow got rid of the "show signature" box. that's awesome.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
It's not.

Warnings and/or infractions will ensue for further debates in this thread.

Please don't, this thread initiates a lot of activity. I know that it might seem like if it were gone, the activity would disperse elsewhere, hopefully in the form of new threads, but from experience we know that's not true. Without this thread there's a lot of potential debates lost (and I mean lost in that no one bothers to create them or talk about them)...

-blazed

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So let's get that debate going. It's not often I feel a snake in my boot from a topic.
Pretty strange that a debate can make you feel like there's a snake in your boot. Pretty sure the only thing that could make me feel that is if....there was actually a snake in my boot....and if I wore boots....

But being serious now what debate are you talking about? Alt banned us from debating in here, so are you talking about the 1 v 1 Nic and I wnat to have?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I was referring to the ideological argument about the good atheist vs the terrible-yet-adequate pious sort. Or the parameters of eternal salvation in general; there are so many bothersome and provocative facets to those concepts.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well that is what Nic and I are planning to debate about. We can't do it in this thread anymore seeing as Alt banned debating here.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I'd like to see more studies on this. I've been told pretty much the opposite by people involved in medical education. Medicine is a field chock full of teachers that believe ridicule and insults are appropriate in a teaching environment.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So it looks like the Debate Hall Social Thread has turned into...the Debate Hall Insocial Thread...

Dre strikes again.

Over and out peepz.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The engineer is the guy in the blue shirt right?

I find it kind of cute and immature that people are always so patriotic to their discipline that they make jokes like this.

Still, it was pretty funny nonetheless.

:phone:

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's always a playful rivalry between professions. A physics TA of mine once told me "We scientists don't like you engineers because we're smarter than you, but you get paid more." :)

Top Bottom