• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
CK doesn't like smash debates. I think it's because they tend to turn towards flaming. It's easy to get frustrated because it's almost completely subjective, and people take shots at each other when they disagree. Also the DH is one of the few places on the site that doesn't involve smash, so it can be a place for people to take a break from it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I hate how Smash is dying in my area. It was never that big to begin with but the few people that did play it regularly have left it in favor of the new blazblue. :(

and what KG said.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am actually thinking of starting a slavery debate. Now the only problem with this is I think all of us can agree slavery is bad killing any real debating. I think I will post the slavery thread some time this weekend after giving it some heavy thinking. I am going to most likely play devils advocate though.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I hate how Smash is dying in my area. It was never that big to begin with but the few people that did play it regularly have left it in favor of the new blazblue. :(

and what KG said.
I love being in NoVa. Huge smash scene, and lots of players even in my high school. :bee:

I am actually thinking of starting a slavery debate. Now the only problem with this is I think all of us can agree slavery is bad killing any real debating. I think I will post the slavery thread some time this weekend after giving it some heavy thinking. I am going to most likely play devils advocate though.
Ok, so basically you're going to open a slavery thread in which you will presumably be arguing in favor of it? Sounds alright.

Sieguest

Smash Master

and what KG said.
I have kind of the opposite, yet not quite opposite situation. xD

Smash is pretty big in Texas, it's just that.... I'm in the worst positioning ever. I'm hours away from any active smash scenes. (That'll change as soon as I graduate however.)

BSP

Smash Legend
Good luck with that man. It'll be interesting to read, so go for it.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread concerning Racism and Prejudice, how they stood in the past, how they stand now, and where they'll be in the future. I think it'd be a good discussion.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'm in a good location, but I can't go to tourneys.

Hence why I'm a wifi warrior.
Johns--don't use them.

Smashers are the most generous people you can ask for rides. Work it out.

In other news, the moment I wanted to post a new thread, I can't. My laptop is heading out for repairs.

But here is a primer. With US troops out of Iraq, why did we go there in the first place?

Gregg Easterbrook pretty much mirrors what I would say, but perhaps it's better here.

Thoughts?

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Johns--don't use them.

In other news, the moment I wanted to post a new thread, I can't. My laptop is heading out for repairs.

But here is a primer. With US troops out of Iraq, why did we go there in the first place?

Gregg Easterbrook pretty much mirrors what I would say, but perhaps it's better here.

Thoughts?
I would have guessed it was oil, but after reading that article, it became a whole lot murkier. Who knows what went through Bush's mind in deciding to invade...

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Johns--don't use them.

You have not seen my mom.

Thoughts?
Interesting...

Namaste

Smash Apprentice
We went there because we can't allow a nation to be independantly succesful. Either they're in our influence or they're evil

Example: Venezuela (Hugo Chavez has been democratically elected several times, in elections widely considered by the UN and other nations to have been fair, but he proposes the "extreme" view that Venezuela should be in control of her own resources instead of America, and so we had to try and have a general overthrow the government)

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am having troubles with compiling my future pro-slavery argument thread (I will be playing D.A. , as I strongly disagree with slavery.) and out of my arguments I have already punched a huge whole in my own argument. In short I was going to argue that slavery among other things was beneficial to the economy but then I pointed out to myself about job loss in a modern context. So I destroyed my own argument. Can some one help me out.

Note: I do not wish to reveal my entire hand before I make the thread but the economic benefits was the main meat and I killed it with my own hands. :( (There were other arguments but they were not spectacular.)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
You have not seen my mom.
Parent canceling is not a valid excuse.

For the sake of the thread, I'll take this further to VMs.

Good question. I don't think anyone really has any idea. Except maybe Dick Cheney.
:lol:

We went there because we can't allow a nation to be independantly succesful. Either they're in our influence or they're evil

Example: Venezuela (Hugo Chavez has been democratically elected several times, in elections widely considered by the UN and other nations to have been fair, but he proposes the "extreme" view that Venezuela should be in control of her own resources instead of America, and so we had to try and have a general overthrow the government)
Eh, it's debatable on that.

You know, sometimes I feel that the leaders we view as thorns to our backsides really are just hype machines with no bite. Despite everything I've heard about Amhed. (I ain't spelling that name, but let's just say the Iranian Prez.), I truly don't think they will be using any nuclear weapons. Think about it--use one now, and you've got World War III on your hands.

This isn't saying he's a threat--but who wants to be the guy that starts the end of the world?

/my two cents.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I am having troubles with compiling my future pro-slavery argument thread (I will be playing D.A. , as I strongly disagree with slavery.) and out of my arguments I have already punched a huge whole in my own argument. In short I was going to argue that slavery among other things was beneficial to the economy but then I pointed out to myself about job loss in a modern context. So I destroyed my own argument. Can some one help me out.

Note: I do not wish to reveal my entire hand before I make the thread but the economic benefits was the main meat and I killed it with my own hands. :( (There were other arguments but they were not spectacular.)
Two words: Prison alternative.

Go nuts.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Incidentally, I think that prisons in the USA force the inmates to do work or be thrown in solitary confinement, if they're able to do so. So, slave labour.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Did you really not know prison labor is paid, Bob?

I thought that was like, one of the main things people know about the prison system. Three meals a day, bad things happen in the showers, and the inmates get various jobs that pay some nominal amount.

Namaste

Smash Apprentice
Well they get Commission, which generally prisoners have to spend on food to survive the prison food. And yeah, you don't have to work. Everyone gets commission (per week/month, i believe, and people can donate to it), those who work generally do so to lower the amount of time they serve by doing community service.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami

I thought that was like, one of the main things people know about the prison system. Three meals a day, bad things happen in the showers, and the inmates get various jobs that pay some nominal amount.
Off-topic, but I sigged this.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Don't those Working Programs have a lower rate of return prisoners?
They do have Boot-camp type programs that have a lower return rate. I doubt they get paid, nor is it a job, but it does involve physical training.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Here is an interesting question to pose, more of a self-reflective idea than something to debate over, but how do you know you're competent at knowing you're competent?

Enter the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Here's a nice short video by TheraminTrees explaining it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOHJa5Vj5Y

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
BlazBlue is better than Smash.

Can we debate about that?
Any chance to get Lythium involved in the Debate Hall, I'll take it :p

... wait, better, though? but I love Smash. I'll say this, bb, gg, prolly some others, they're definitely more balanced than smash. but smash is still funner imho. "better" is too hard to quantify, if by better you mean the game I play the most, it's smash, if by better you mean game that's most balanced, prolly guilty gear...

prison system in america blows. lots of inmates, not lots of room, overcrowded, under funded, there's more drugs in prison than on the streets to use a popular hyperbole... lol yah the shower thing "don't drop the soap" ugh, and having known a few folks who got sent up, they all say the same thing: all you want is for it to end. 3 days, 30 days, 300 days, 3000 days, whatever it is, all you want is for it to be over with.

kinda makes breaking the law seem like a bad thing! -_-

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Except they're paid.

Yeah, I knew, but it's less than the minimum wage right? So I should have said, "almost slave labour".

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Here is an interesting question to pose, more of a self-reflective idea than something to debate over, but how do you know you're competent at knowing you're competent?

Enter the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Here's a nice short video by TheraminTrees explaining it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOHJa5Vj5Y

Nice video, but I like to think of my self some what capable in some areas and down right horrible in others. So I think I am about average over all. As to how one would know they would have to take a test that is bona fade correct in its assessment.

Aesir

Smash Master
They do have Boot-camp type programs that have a lower return rate. I doubt they get paid, nor is it a job, but it does involve physical training.
I'm not talking about that.

In my state there was some program where they folks in prison had to work and they got paid ect.. I forgot the actual details but apparently it had a low return rate.

However like most successful programs that lower crime it died in the back burner.

Top Bottom