• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Christmas/New Year Update

Coselm

Smash Ace
Christmas is celebrated in Japan, but New Year's is a much bigger holiday there. Either way... Special dates really have nothing to do with the updates. And if you are going to wake up christmas morning to turn on your computer and check the update I feel bad for you. I am going to unwrap my wii and mario galaxy and peace out for a month.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I was thinking about asking if they celebrated X-mas in Japan but my question was answered already :)

Since they do celebrate Christmas in Japan I think Sakurai will have a special update, and if not he will at least wish the Dojo viewers a merry Christmas, provided Christmas is a big enough deal in Japan that it would be appropriate.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
*WARNING* 'The following content is COMPLETELY unrealistic, and should not be expected, hoped for, or taken seriously.

December 25, Tue 2007

THE WORLD OF SMASH

This time around the Adventure Mode of Smash is MUCH more intriguing and exciting then we previously have revealed to you. Its true that The Subspace Emissary is an incredible Side-Scrolling Adventure, including many different characters stories and a Map Screen. But that isn't all. The World of Smash is much larger than you may have previously anticipated. The game is COMPLETELY free-roaming and spans a whole planet. This includes lakes, mountains, jungles, oceans, and even the space surrounding this glorious world. The home of the Subspace Army may even provide some adventure...

However do not mistake this for some sort of role playing game. While there are items in this mode, there are no stats or inventories as I feel those would distract from the pure gameplay of Smash.

And since this world is so large it must be populated correct? Well, when I said there would be many characters I wasn't kidding. No worries though there arent too many that they dont each recieve deserved attention to programming and individuality, but there are just enough to fill the many zones of this world.

Merry Christmas!

-Masahiro Sakurai

FierceDeityWolf

Smash Ace
In a place where the grass is green and the girls
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up here, my friend. I put Smash in front of many things in my life. To sum up my love for Smash, let me confess to you these two points:

I took a week off of work for Brawl's release.

If *insert name of dream girl here* came up to me (before 2-10-2008) and offered me sex or Brawl, I'd choose Brawl.

Wow..I would NEVER NEVER choose Brawl over sex. It's not fricking worh it, especially if you're really um... cactus-y.

orintemple

Smash Lord
It depends what you mean by Brawl or sex with dream girl. I'm guessing dream girl sex is a one time deal right? Now of the Brawl is you could have the game right now or sex I would pick sex but if it was have the game EVER or have sex this ONE time I would pick Brawl.

In any case Christmas is going to be good enough to overshadow the badness of a bad update and if we get a good one, then Wooty McWoot will have shined his great presence on us.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
a lot of you are assuming that there will be no more character updates. Well that is not at all the case. if you would care to look at the dojo, characters, newcomers, there is that one tiny little square just waiting for someone coughgenocough to come and fill the void. :)

MSVZNF

Smash Rookie
the past few updates have been pretty good because they have pretty much been double updates.
Charactor would be great on Christmas but i'm not going to get my hopes up.

Sidius

Smash Journeyman
wouldn't it just be better to have sex while playing Brawl? i mean come on why choose one or the other when u can do both ;)....anyways like i said before IMO there's gonna be a character update every week till Brawl's release starting on the 25th

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
wouldn't it just be better to have sex while playing Brawl? i mean come on why choose one or the other when u can do both ;)....anyways like i said before IMO there's gonna be a character update every week till Brawl's release starting on the 25th
Erm, if you don't give each activity your whole attention, you're missing out :p

And I'm not lacking in the dream girl department, so I'd pick Brawl.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I'm going to a Smash Bros. drinking game party on New Year's, that's almost as good. Also I can drink and play Smash, sex and Smash is...difficult. Seriously when I find a girl who would be OK with trying that I would totally do it.

Captain J

Smash Rookie
Not gonna read all 13 pages of this thread, so if someone else said this I'm sorry, but I read the first couple pages and believe I've had an apostrophy- I mean epiphany.

Jan 24= Day Smash Comes out in Japan
Dec 24= Begining of a major world wide holiday.

1 month before smash comes out in the country the dude in charge of updates.

And a monday.

So maybe the crappy updates will stop?

*Maybe? Please?*:urg:

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Crappy? Lol.

Look at today's update - okay, it wasn't great, but does everyone think that the opposite of a crappy update is a character update? Can't you people see that Sakurai is leading you on, he'll release characters nearer the time of release. And about these 'special' dates, I wouldn't get your hopes worked up, people. Look, if Sakurai was releasing these characters at the same rate as he was, there wouldn't be much variance, let me tell you that.

I'd be quite annoyed if it was a new character every 2 weeks, tbh. But maybe this is my subversive mind speaking. Haha. Seriously though, I like it how it is. But as the updates keep coming, there isn't much to talk about even when it is a good update for that day. We're going through a depressive state here on SWF.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
December 24th. Christmas Eve. Monday. Virtual Console Update. Geno.

-This isn't really going to happen, but I wish it did.

gigaearth

Smash Rookie
They are releasing crappy udates because brawl was supposed to be out in december 3rd, so theey are just filling the Dojo waiting for the game to get out.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
They are releasing crappy udates because brawl was supposed to be out in december 3rd, so theey are just filling the Dojo waiting for the game to get out.
FINALLY!!!!!! Someone states the almost OBVIOUS TRUTH!!!

But seriously, I think Sakurai might have pre-made these updates not kknowing the game was going to be delayed. For example, EVERY update after December 3 meant NOTHING major to the game. Of course we've had crappy updates BEFORE, but after Dec.3.....**** i have to go to school.....i'll finish this later....

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
FINALLY!!!!!! Someone states the almost OBVIOUS TRUTH!!!

But seriously, I think Sakurai might have pre-made these updates not kknowing the game was going to be delayed. For example, EVERY update after December 3 meant NOTHING major to the game. Of course we've had crappy updates BEFORE, but after Dec.3.....**** i have to go to school.....i'll finish this later....
If that is true, then once we get close to the release, the normal and intended updates will take place.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
No one cares about halloween and thanksgiving lol... JApan doesnt celebrate any of them accept christmas like us....

But stilll accpect the worst and hope for the best.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Japan actually doesn't celebrate Christmas.
And you say that with so much certainty despite the fact that you are wrong?

And people seem to forget that Halloween's update had a pumpkin.
That's nothing great, but it was still relevant to the rather insignificant occasion.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
And you say that with so much certainty despite the fact that you are wrong?

And people seem to forget that Halloween's update had a pumpkin.
That's nothing great, but it was still relevant to the rather insignificant occasion.
It had a pumpkin? Seriously? Let me go see.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Pumpkins are actually just items you get in Ice Climber like the Eggplant, so it isn't because of Halloween.
Obviously.
But the fact that the one screenshot out of thousands that is in any way relevant to Halloween was shown on Halloween kind of suggests an awareness of Halloween, dontcha think?

Top Bottom