• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Christmas/New Year Update

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Why don't people look up dates for Japanese holidays so we'll actually know when a good update might happen

Nevermind, I will, and here's a list.

* January 1 (national holiday)
New Year (shogatsu):
This is the most important holiday in Japan. While only January 1 is designated as a national holiday, many businesses remain closed through January 3.

* Second Monday of January (national holiday)
Coming of Age (seijin no hi):
The coming of age of 20 year old men and women is celebrated on this national holiday.
* February 3
Beginning of spring (setsubun):
Setsubun is not a national holiday, but celebrated at shrines and temples nationwide.

* February 11 (national holiday)
National Foundation Day (kenkoku kinenbi):
According to the earliest Japanese history records, on this day in the year 660 BC the first Japanese emperor was crowned.

* February 14
Valentine's Day:
In Japan, women give chocolates to men on Valentine's Day. It is not a national holiday.
* March 3
Doll's Festival (hina matsuri):
Also called girl's festival.
* March 14
White Day:
The opposite of Valentine's Day: Men give cakes or chocolates to women. It is not a national holiday.
* March 21 (national holiday)
Spring Eqinox Day (shunbun no hi):
Graves are visited during the week (ohigan) of the Equinox Day.

* April 29 (national holiday)
Showa Day (Showa no hi):
The birthday of former Emperor Showa. Before 2007, April 29 was known as Greenery Day (now celebrated on May 4). Showa Day is part of the Golden Week.

* May 3 (national holiday)
Constitution Day (kenpo kinenbi):
A national holiday remembering the new constitution, which was put into effect after the war.

* May 4 (national holiday)
Greenery Day (midori no hi):
Until 2006, Greenery Day was celebrated on April 29, the former Emperor Showa's birthday, due to the emperor's love for plants and nature. It is now celebrated on May 4 and is part of the Golden Week.

* May 5 (national holiday)
Children's Day (kodomo no hi):
Also called boy's festival.

* July/August 7
Star Festival (tanabata):
Tanabata is a festival rather than a national holiday. Please visit our Tanabata page for more information.

* Third Monday of July (national holiday)
Ocean Day (umi no hi):
A recently introduced national holiday to celebrate the ocean. The day marks the return of Emperor Meiji from a boat trip to Hokkaido in 1876.

* July/August 13-15
Obon:
Obon is a festival to commemorate the deceased ancestors.

August 13th-Pokemon Trainer announced

July 13th- smashville announced

* Third Monday of September (national holiday)
Respect for the Aged Day (keiro no hi):
Respect for the elderly and longlivity is celebrated on this national holiday.

* September 23 (national holiday)
Autum Equinox Day (shubun no hi):
Graves are visited during the week (ohigan) of the Equinox Day.

* Second Monday of October (national holiday)
Health and Sports Day (taiiku no hi):
On that day 1964, the Olympic games of Tokyo were opened.

* November 3 (national holiday)
Culture Day (bunka no hi):
A day for promotion of culture and the love for freedom and peace. On the culture day, schools and the government award certain persons for their special, cultural activities.

* November 15
Seven-Five-Three (shichigosan):
A festival for children, Shichigosan is not a national holiday.

* November 23 (national holiday)
Labour Thanksgiving Day (kinro kansha no hi):
A national holiday for honoring labour.

* December 23 (national holiday)
Emperor's Birthday (tenno no tanjobi):
The birthday of the current emperor is always a national holiday. If the emperor changes, the national holiday changes to the birthday date of the new emperor.

* December 24-25
Christmas:
Christmas is not a national holiday, but it is celebrated by an increasing number of Japanese.

* December 31
New Year's Eve (omisoka):
December 31 is not a national holiday.
If a national holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday will also be a holiday. If a day lies between two national holidays, the day will also be turned into a holiday.

Xiroey2

Smash Apprentice
I think that we should focus more on events that relate to Nintendo, or Sakurai himself.

I may be wrong, but didn't we get a great update on Sakurais birthday? I'm sure we got Ike...the first new character...

And on the animal crossing creator's birthday, didn't we get smashville?

I'm not saying that we won't get a good update on christmas day, but I don't want to hype it up too much, so we won't be disappointed...

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
It could be the biggest day in Japanese history and it won't effect what we get on the Dojo.

We're not getting any special updates because of a birthday, holiday, anniverary, because it's been 4,693 days since this character did this, or whatever. Just give it up people, you're like 0 for 10.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
If days meant anything, DEc. 3rd would have been something above decent and not complete crap.

afterlife

Smash Rookie
These updates we've been getting lately, garbage. You want to know why? Christmas...
...and also because of the delay, he had to make up an extra 4 months of updates. If there wasn't a delay, we would have it by now and Sakurai wouldn't have to update the dojo anymore. But I do think he might still update it from time to time after we get the game with "stratigies".

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
...and also because of the delay, he had to make up an extra 4 months of updates. If there wasn't a delay, we would have it by now and Sakurai wouldn't have to update the dojo anymore. But I do think he might still update it from time to time after we get the game with "stratigies".
2 months*

10char

RedKnight

Smash Ace
If days meant anything, DEc. 3rd would have been something above decent and not complete crap.
Not really by that logic there should have been an uber update on the previous Japanese release Date

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
Don't expect anything great on Christmas, mostly likely it will be average

gigasteve

Smash Ace
What if Sakurai arranged for each of the upcoming holidays (maybe the same day, or over a few days).

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
We probably won't get an awesome update. It probably won't even relate to Christmas, since of the past Holiday updates. 80% chance of being suckish 20% chance of being awesomish.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
We'll get an Easter Egg at best (ala The Summit). And, absoutely nothing (good) happened on Dec 3.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Sakurai most likely does not want to make special updates on holidays because not every region where the game is going to be released celebrates them unanimously.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
My fear: don't people get the day off on Christmas? Yeah, they do. Nintendo, at least NOA, also gets weekends off (hence no updates). Either there is a good update, or there is none. It better freaking be the former.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
My fear: don't people get the day off on Christmas? Yeah, they do. Nintendo, at least NOA, also gets weekends off (hence no updates). Either there is a good update, or there is none. It better freaking be the former.
They write the updates weeks in advance. Rest easy.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
We'll get an Easter Egg at best (ala The Summit). And, absoutely nothing (good) happened on Dec 3.
Like i said before it's not an easter egg. The Pumpkin is an item you could collect in the Ice Climbers game like the Eggplant so the Pumpkin could have been their icon instead of the eggplant.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Now that I think about it, grocery stores and important stuff like that are closing early on Xmas and New Years. Thus everybody in Sakurai in his development team might get the day off, including Sakudork himself. What makes us think we'll get an update?

Meh....lets just hope we get something on atleast Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
there is a good chance both will get a good update,Christmas is a globalHoliday, and New Years is Japans biggest Holiday.

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
i hope we get somethin good but i really doubt it seein as the other holidays havent really been very productive i hope somethin good gets revealed but like i said i really doubt it

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
were more likely to have a better update on new years not christmas.

Even though i doubt any of those updates will be good

gigasteve

Smash Ace
We don't need one. Look at the past week. We've gotten:
2 stages
Many of Kirby's looks with B
2 AT's
new item
coin and team matches
I don't expect a holiday update.

Top Bottom