• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Gonna be shortsighted and assume on the Charizard board everyone automatically assumes everyone goes Charizard. For anything and everything.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I made up my mind to play Luigi in bracket the other day but everyone was expecting the Zard. I played an opponent who has specifically prepared against Zard, lost to him with Luigi, then beat him with Zard. So that felt good.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
So Nair, Bthrow, or Dthrow into sinking skull is a thing. It's not a true combo, but I can see it as a great way to punish air dodges. The spike hitbox is pri rediculous. It reminds me of his Dair from brawl. His body doesn't even have to come anywhere near you for him to land the spike.

As an added plus, Fly pops them out of the ground before landing the final hit, so you get the full KB. I can see this being paired with Rising Cyclone for extremely early kills.

For even more fun, possibly consider tossing in blast burn and punish mistakes with extreme prejudice :006:

~~~~

A Few other things:

If Charizard has any downward momentum, sinking skull will automatically cause him to fast fall.

If Charizard is already fastfalling, sinking skull will cause charizard to revert back to regular fall speed during start up, then he will be put in fastfall again after the attack.
It's a small point, but it can possibly help throw opponents off when trying to land
He doesn't completely sacrifice a landing option by taking this over Rocksmash
The spike seems to launch at a slight angle. However, This could've been the result of CPU DI.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Apparently, Charizard's ftilt got a damage and hitbox buff (1% more, sweetspot is bigger) and dtilt got a windbox so that dtilt hits at point-blank range. Both of these seems like very meaningful buffs.

Professor Charizard

Smash Rookie
NNID
XNukedZombie
I just checked the patch notes again and it said that Zard's bair landing lag was reduced by 3 frames 36-->33 and dthrow end frame was reduced 72-->70.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
This is silly and not going to work in a real match (very techable) but Charizard's dtilt can bounce Sheik off a wall repeatedly from 10% to 120%, each hit pushes zard back because of the infinite protection system moving him in range to get the next hit. At 120% the wall bounce sends Sheik slightly behind Charizard so if you just dtilt again you do a reverse hit but you can move back a bit to continue the bouncing.

It's very cathartic do see how many bounces you can chain.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
For those of you that play against really campy characters, does flamethrower and SHAD alleviate Zard's trouble getting in?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I prefer the patient method of slowly closing the distance until they are backed into the ledge. Then I try to punish their attempt to get past me. Walking in is slow but it can work well.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
For those of you that play against really campy characters, does flamethrower and SHAD alleviate Zard's trouble getting in?
I've played a bunch of great Links, Robs, and Villagers while on smash ladder and approaching with dashes and power shields is definitely the way to go for them, especially Villager. If you just keep your feet on the ground fair/bair become so predictable in that MU. You don't even need SHAD or Flamethrower imo. Flamethrower can be useful on Link when he tries to grab you as you approach on the ground though; pick up that last powershield to get in range and then use Flamethrower before he can tether grab you. I haven't had the pleasure of playing others like DHD and Samus though.

I've also gotten bodied by a Wii Fit before but that was primarily due to high lag ledge camping. I couldn't power shield to save my life. I think it could still work in that MU but I'd have to actually play it first.

Once you do get in though, you have to watch out for what your opponent wants to do to stuff your approach. Some people simply shield, others go for a dash grab/dash attack, and some just spam rolls to the other side of the stage. If you can read it, you can usually stop whatever they're trying to do with tilts or jabs as long as you watch out for shield grabs.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I prefer the patient method of slowly closing the distance until they are backed into the ledge. Then I try to punish their attempt to get past me. Walking in is slow but it can work well.
I do also enjoy walking and approaching. Though I find the process taxing vs characters like Pikachu, Rosalina, and Luigi that can potentially bait an option to get a grab while you slowly try to get past their wall.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Being a Charizard main is one of the most stressful things ever. I love him because he's one of my favorite Pokémon and because he's so fun to use, but sometimes I feel he sucks so much! I have a hard time fighting Fox and Marth because they have me in the air like a ragdoll and I can't escape their juggling. So frustrating >: ( I consider myself a decent Charizard player, not good but not bad, but still. I wish they buffed him even further.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys. Not really a Charizard player, but I was just curious.

What makes you guys main the firey Zard? I can't seem to get a grip on him myself, and this is coming from someone who usually likes to play heavily underused or underplayed characters.

Mad respect for maining him, by the way. He seems like he has everything stacked against him.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice

What makes you guys main the firey Zard? I can't seem to get a grip on him myself, and this is coming from someone who usually likes to play heavily underused or underplayed characters.

Mad respect for maining him, by the way. He seems like he has everything stacked against him.
Good question. We actually recently had a thread about that very thing but I'm sure you'll get a couple more responses here too.

I just kind of picked up Zard and liked him. Not a whole lot to it. I was kind of arbitrarily choosing a character to play (I didn't know what mains or tier lists were at the time) shortly after launch and I had already tried ZSS and Fox but I had the most fun playing Charizard, for whatever reason. I'm just doing what's fun for me.

Honestly, the only time I notice that I'm playing a 'low tier' character is when I play a 'top tier' character. And even then, I bear it because the suffering is part of the deal lol. Zard has decent to bearable MUs with the rest of the cast though imo. Things feel a lot less futile once you get the hang of the character.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Good question. We actually recently had a thread about that very thing but I'm sure you'll get a couple more responses here too.

I just kind of picked up Zard and liked him. Not a whole lot to it. I was kind of arbitrarily choosing a character to play (I didn't know what mains or tier lists were at the time) shortly after launch and I had already tried ZSS and Fox but I had the most fun playing Charizard, for whatever reason. I'm just doing what's fun for me.

Honestly, the only time I notice that I'm playing a 'low tier' character is when I play a 'top tier' character. And even then, I bear it because the suffering is part of the deal lol. Zard has decent to bearable MUs with the rest of the cast though imo. Things feel a lot less futile once you get the hang of the character.
Thanks for that link, and for sharing your thoughts.
I generally hold a lot of respect for people who play a character based solely on whether they like them as a character or just like how they feel. I had a similar situation with Meta Knight. I heard he was absolutely trash in this game, and trying him out randomly, I realized he's probably in my top five favorite characters. I just love his speed and how he plays, tiers be damned. And a couple months later, wouldn't you know, he's placing in tournaments. In the same vein, I don't hold a lot of respect for people who switch their mains from game to game to be the highest tier fighter solely because they're high tier.
I'm going to keep at Charizard for a while. :D

C3CC

Smash Lord
I generally hold a lot of respect for people who play a character based solely on whether they like them as a character or just like how they feel. I had a similar situation with Meta Knight. I heard he was absolutely trash in this game, and trying him out randomly, I realized he's probably in my top five favorite characters. I just love his speed and how he plays, tiers be damned. And a couple months later, wouldn't you know, he's placing in tournaments. In the same vein, I don't hold a lot of respect for people who switch their mains from game to game to be the highest tier fighter solely because they're high tier.
*coughcoughZeRocoughcough*

I have a 13-year old cousin who mains Marth in Smash 4 and after he heard about ZeRo using Sheik and Diddy Kong he switched to them, but he just sucks with them, while he's pretty good with Marth. I told him he had no personality hahahaha

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I mean I don't think there's anything wrong with maining high tiers (even from game to game) but I will say that it's disappointing to see someone drop their original main for a high tier because if they turn out to be good, you're stuck wondering how good their first character would be if they never switched.

That being said, I don't think one needs to have an emotional attachment to their character in order to main them (and there isn't anything wrong with having such an attachment either). If someone said they started maining a character because they heard they were high tier, I would still respect that because they took the time to put in work on a single character. They might be homoginizing the meta but even that can push the meta to shift.

The only thing that rustles my jimmies is when people have multiple mains and then complain about the stagnant meta. I can't tell you how many people I've seen that have put way more work into Sm4sh and can't beat my Zard because they were working on too many characters at once. Just pick one character, take it to as high of a level as you can, and pick up niche pocket characters for bad MUs if necessary. The high tiers are only high tier because nobody has figured out how to beat them yet (quite literally). The tip top of the meta won't develop any faster unless you get really, really good with a character. The best way I can see to do that is to spend all of your time on one character.

Which isn't to say that there's anything wrong with playing a bunch of characters when that's more fun to you. It just annoys me to see people condemn high tiers when they aren't as good as they can possibly be at their main.

But please do keep at the Zard. Maybe you find a pocket for a bad MU your main has. Maybe you have some fun and drop him. Maybe you find a new main. Whatever the case, don't hesitate to stop by if you have any questions about the Zard. Show the world what Zard can do!

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
Hello guys, fairly new smashboards user here. Glad to see some activity on my fav character's social. I actually decided to pick up zard as a funsies character for when I feel like sandbagging. Then I discovered I was actually doing better with zard than with my other characters and stuck with him. I just love the way he plays, and getting crazy Flare Blitz stage spikes and 40% fly kills makes me feel soo... :happysheep:
(Note: My other chars were Dedede and Zelda. I still co-main Zelda.)

#BottomTierFTW

Edit: Can someone help show me how to make a signature on here?

Last edited:

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Guys, I have a question. I landed a weak dair and then a sweetspot dair immediately after. My question is how big is the window to evade the follow-up.

A thing to note is how I set it up. First I throw them offstage and then I wait for them to make the (huge) mistake of recovering high. If they use their midair jump then I hit them out of it. That leaves them vulnerable since it limits them to three options: use their recovery move, throw out an aerial, or airdodge.

Here's the video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-20GnbjeM_Q

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Guys, I have a question. I landed a weak dair and then a sweetspot dair immediately after. My question is how big is the window to evade the follow-up.

A thing to note is how I set it up. First I throw them offstage and then I wait for them to make the (huge) mistake of recovering high. If they use their midair jump then I hit them out of it. That leaves them vulnerable since it limits them to three options: use their recovery move, throw out an aerial, or airdodge.

Here's the video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-20GnbjeM_Q
If they air-dodge you could always drop below them and up-air, or delay the second down-air. Recovery options will be character specific, of course, and the best option will rely heavily on that. Fly might be a good option if you're close enough to the stage, since you can get some damage and armor through the aerial.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Here's a place I haven't been in a while. All these changes to Zard over the past few months have been rather promising. And I'm starting to see him more and more. I played against two different Zards in my state that were able to push me a bit. Quite an experience. I miss my old friend haha.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
My issue is what Melee has done to make my Peach better in this game overall vs when I try to use Lucario/Zard a lot more.

_gold_

Smash Master
I feel like Charizard always gets the short straw when it comes to final smashes. He shared one in Brawl, and while his one is Sm4ash is cool, it's not really unique.
Could you imagine if it were something like this?

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Isn't that pretty much his uThrow now?
That's the thing. Is it? He raises the person in the air, but circling the globe is the iconic part. If it were to switch to a quick cutscene, like Mega Man's for example, that would be awesome. Nice shoutout to the anime Charizard at least.

Last edited:

AngelicPalkia

Smash Rookie
That's the thing. Is it? He raises the person in the air, but circling the globe is the iconic part. If it were to switch to a quick cutscene, like Mega Man's for example, that would be awesome. Nice shoutout to the anime Charizard at least.
However if the developers would have done that we would have kids on For Glory who just spam Up Throw to see that animation. It would be a bit tiresome and I don't see the Smash development team going into that much detail for one throw.
I will admit though, if Charizard circled in the air at least once that would have been pretty awesome (And cool profile pick).

_gold_

Smash Master
However if the developers would have done that we would have kids on For Glory who just spam Up Throw to see that animation. It would be a bit tiresome and I don't see the Smash development team going into that much detail for one throw.
I will admit though, if Charizard circled in the air at least once that would have been pretty awesome (And cool profile pick).
No I don't mean his u-throw. I mean his final smash. His u-throw is fine as is it sits.
Nice avatar

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I do also enjoy walking and approaching. Though I find the process taxing vs characters like Pikachu, Rosalina, and Luigi that can potentially bait an option to get a grab while you slowly try to get past their wall.
Against Luigi, you can abuse his wonky shield-slide passive thing by spacing Forward airs and Neutral airs perfectly on his shield. The shield push should prevent him from sheildgrabbing you. Shield should be used sparingly in this MU. Good Luigi players will be looking to condition you into shiled. You outrange him, so mind yoru spacing and you should be okay.

Flamethrower beats his fireballs. Mixing up use of Grounded and SH Flamethower helps a ton in the MU.

I don't know much about rosa and pikachu sadly. I don't get to fight very many.

:006:

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
@ Seagull Joe Seagull Joe Awesome to have some well known players repping Zard. I mean after all these buffs he keeps getting I don't see why Zard isn't considered more viable (in addition to being super fun). Do you think you might use him in tournament sometime in the future?

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206

Charizard is the reason I play smash in the first place...

I kinda... can't not use him x3

:006:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
@ Seagull Joe Seagull Joe Awesome to have some well known players repping Zard. I mean after all these buffs he keeps getting I don't see why Zard isn't considered more viable (in addition to being super fun). Do you think you might use him in tournament sometime in the future?
I already have used him in tournament (Just wasn't streamed). I went to game 5 in doubles with him while teaming with a :4fox:.

:018:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I beat another :4sheik: in bracket with :4charizard: last night, a good one. I maintain that while Sheik wins it's close, 55:45. We played on Duck Hunt and it felt like a great stage for Zard because you can't get stage spiked and the tree allows for chile con queso upthrows.

Top Bottom