• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So @ Seagull Joe Seagull Joe I'm curious.

I agree that Charizard is hella fun, but why do you like him?

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Yeeep, that's charizard for ya. You don't even have to be trying to get the kill. Sometimes you just him em and they die. :p

:006:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I've realized that doing RAR dairs offstage are godlike and probably the best way to spike.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
offstage dair on Charizard is probably my favorite way to kill in this game. A swift kick from the Zard's little stubby leg will send foes rocketing downward off the screen, it's glorious.

I FINALLY got a hold of a Charizard Amiibo from Wal-mart's online site. Had it shipped to my local store and it's looking pretty sitting next to my other main character (Pikachu).

I got Pikachu to level 50 and I'm trying to get Charizard there too. I faced him in a mirror match and he beat me the first time, and I only barley beat him the second time and now he's around level 38. There's a few things I can learn from my Amiibo (outside of randomly wanting to throw a tantrum and spam Dsmash)

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Shield breaks are my favorite way. They're hard to pull off, but there's no greater feeling than taunting, then landing a fully charged Fsmash and sending them flying into the cosmos :p

:006:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
How big of a problem is it that people fall out of upsmash all the time?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Maybe I'm just unlucky. but if it's not an out of shield situation where they are close or slightly in front, i feel like it hits wrong over half the time. I use it most often under platforms though.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
How big of a problem is it that people fall out of upsmash all the time?
In my experience, they only fall out when they are behind Zard's head (horizontally) for the first hit. It's a lot more noticeable on smaller characters too imo.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hello! Charizard's awesome and while I love my mains and secondaries, I think Charizard just may steal someone's spot! Anyway, I made this video with some combos and things. I'm kinda upset I didn't get any shield breaks, but is there anything y'all can see me doing better? Like maybe when I do a combo there's a better conversion?

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I dunno, you had solid follow-ups and combos, though most of what I saw in there could have been avoided if the opponent knew what to look out for. But hey, if it works when it works, then it works!

Also, guys. This happened earlier today. Why. Just. Why

Charizard's neck is so long it hits under him.

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
I dunno, you had solid follow-ups and combos, though most of what I saw in there could have been avoided if the opponent knew what to look out for. But hey, if it works when it works, then it works!

That third picture though.
Why is Charizard a giraffe? XD

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206

Lol, Char in that first picture be like

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
The move doesnt
Hello! Charizard's awesome and while I love my mains and secondaries, I think Charizard just may steal someone's spot! Anyway, I made this video with some combos and things. I'm kinda upset I didn't get any shield breaks, but is there anything y'all can see me doing better? Like maybe when I do a combo there's a better conversion?
I gave you a Like because I respect the obvious effort that went in to assembling a highlight reel. But:

1.) Didn't like the music
2.) Too long - no one wants to watch a ten minute highlight reel
3.) Clips were low quality - almost everything was FG
4.) Clips were amazingly short - Tons of clips are just two seconds of you landing runoff-dair or runoff-fair, no buildup or anything.

AngelicPalkia

Smash Rookie
No I don't mean his u-throw. I mean his final smash. His u-throw is fine as is it sits.
Nice avatar
Well this is a late reply. Sorry about that.
And now I feel like an idiot because I completely missed you saying "final smash." I guess I was having one of those days...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
My favorite way of playing Charizard is by spacing my opponents with a Flamethrower, and then finishing it off with either a jab or side-tilt. I really love the fact that they turned one of Charizard's sourpots in his tail into a sweet spot in the new update, it makes him even more versatile as a character than ever.

I actually prefer edguarding my opponents with a nicely-timed down-smash over just dairing them. It just seems more practical to me that way.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I don't main Zard, but he is one of my fave characters to play.

TsunaBunny

Smash Rookie
NNID
Toon Bunny
Can someone help me in my zard training? I feel like there's some kind of technique I dont know about. my charizard is like a, hmm, :005: intermediate. thx for helping

Last edited:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
new zard main here. how does charizard deal with zoning?
Walk up and shield or short-hop flamethrower is the general way to deal with zoning. With some zoners you can clank out the projectiles with jab/d-tilt instead of shielding them.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Characters with projectiles that have slow startup can get eaten alive by Flare Blitz. Toon Link is especially vulnerable to FB because he dies at 80% to it. If you think you're reading your opponents projectiles, FB through them on startup. That said, FB only has heavy armor, so certain projectiles, like Mega Man's fsmash and Samus's Charge Shot, will always overpower FB and you should not be attempting to FB through them.

Toon Link, Link, and Duck Hunt are very vulnerable to FB. You should save FB in your back pocket until kill percents and then surprise them. You can easily condition an opponent into throwing a bad boomerang and then FBing them.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Characters with projectiles that have slow startup can get eaten alive by Flare Blitz. Toon Link is especially vulnerable to FB because he dies at 80% to it. If you think you're reading your opponents projectiles, FB through them on startup. That said, FB only has heavy armor, so certain projectiles, like Mega Man's fsmash and Samus's Charge Shot, will always overpower FB and you should not be attempting to FB through them.

Toon Link, Link, and Duck Hunt are very vulnerable to FB. You should save FB in your back pocket until kill percents and then surprise them. You can easily condition an opponent into throwing a bad boomerang and then FBing them.
While that is sound advice against the Links (With fully charged Arrows being the only reliable option they have to beat FB with, it's one of the top reasons why I like repping Zard against them!) and WFT (only fully charged Sun Salutations can stop FB reliably), I'd exercise more caution around Duck Hunt's arsenal in regards to FB use, because if DH gets enough space for his arsenal to be set up, then your FB will straight up LOSE to the entirety of DH's arsenal. It is for this reason that I'd consider DH to be a part of the Anti-FB-Spam Squad, alongside Bowser Jr, Alph, Pac-Man, Kirby, and another Zard. However, if DH shoots up his Clay before the Clay itself collides with your FB or DR (this could use some testing to confirm, but if this does in fact lose to shot-up Clays, then disregard this option), you most certainly will win that clash and continue onwards towards DH himself if you're close/lucky enough. Generally, however, if you're halfway across the screen or further from him and he has his arsenal already up and you're thinking of FB-ing, you're gonna have a bad time, especially if the dog's ready to follow up on your collision. Thankfully, DR can cleanly disrespect Cans & Gunmen, but it'll still lose to non-shot-up Clays (though at least you won't crash onto the floor like you would with FB). Oh, and FB & DR can punish a DH that tries to panic Gunman/Can/Clay in an attempt to block you off when you're already in the middle of FB & within half a second away from reaching him, as Saturn_ noted above (DR's more reliable, and at certain areas within certain stages, it will KO sooner than FB can).

I personally would LOVE to do a full-blown analysis on this MU like I have for the Jr MU someday. Though I will find myself comparing Zard to King Dedede during that analysis at various points, I can assure you, unlike that penguin, we lizards will put up more of a fight than he will, especially when Customs are on (We get to bring 3313 against him, who will likely bring 3122 or 3132 or 3121 or 3131, due to DR & Fireball Cannon cleanly disrespecting Mega Gunmen) and we get to take him to Castle Siege or Delfino or even Smashville. >:3

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Roast what you can destroy outright. Or FB or DR through stuff. Yes DR can stop lasers last I recall.

Other then that Powershield or die.

I personally play Zard similarly to Bowser most of the time. Which means I prefer to be on the ground.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
DR can't stop anything. DR is stopped by Fox lasers iirc.
Pretty sure it stopped Falco's. Fox's normals can't be stopped. Unless It was just Zard getting hit and could go right into another one right away.

Edit: Yeah you're right. It's just DR can start up right after getting hit.

Last edited:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
One move DR does stop is Mii Gunner's Grenades, sometimes it's a clank but most of the time DR just deletes the grenades and keep going. I don't know why it works against that move but it does.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
I tear people down with charizard that it makes ridley look a joke. Up out of shield people!

Last edited:
Top Bottom