• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Hey all, Dutch brawler here who made the transistion to sm4sh.
Quick intro: started playing Robin on release because i love the FE franchise, but Robin feels lacking a bit, so i started trying out other characters and now i'm mostly playing Zard and Lucario.
So i guess i'll be hanging around here from now on, if i could get in on the skypegroup that would be awesome, my skype is RiVerDenBosch.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
@ The Real Gamer The Real Gamer

Can you open the moveset discussion again? TC seems to be busy with real life. We can lock it again after he finishes the guide.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Any Charizard mains in the groups, could anyone please help tutor me in mastering him?

I've played him for a long long time since the month of 3DS release and I'm starting to lose my edge. When it comes to the opponents online, I can't take it. I just can't take it. It feels like every online player out there suddenly became overly advanced mastering wall jumps, rushing throws and defending at precise moments. It was fun while it lasted, but now I can't compete with these people. Too many Captain Falcons, Foxes, etc are exploiting Charizard's weaknesses with his terrible aerial height and slow lag that constantly gets him grabbed no matter how fast I execute my own jabs or dodges. Not a single opponent has fell victim to my meteor smashes and I am unable to land aerial attacks against their constant jumping spam.

I love using Charizard in any game, but lately I've been watching him suffer being beaten to a pulp and it's getting really sad. I'm not a tourney player, so I lack experience, so is there a chance I can skype anyone who is willing to schedule their time to helping me understand Charizard better? Please? :sadeyes:

Also, please know that I'm only available starting 5:30 to night on weekdays, as I work a 40 hour job.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Some things to help you improve a bit:

1. Stay on the ground most of the time. Charizard has slow aerials that aren't used for spacing like you were Marth. Use them at specific times. Nair is kind of an exception, but be careful with it.

2. Be patient. Let them come to you. Charizard is a defensive character and he can be annoying to approach with his multiple super armor moves, long range and flamethrower.

3. Abuse your grab. You have one of the best grabs in the game. Your moves are generally unsafe on shield so people will shield a lot. Use this to your advantage.

4.Use a lot of Flamethrower to get some breathing room. This move is just amazing when used correctly.

5. Jump offstage with Nair, Fair, Bair or Dair depending on the opponent and where they are recovering when edgeguarding. One good hit with one of these and it's probably a dead character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.... My friend is saying Charizard is garbage.

He said Pink Fresh said he was awful. Anyone got a source for that?

He's also asking about a source for when M2K said Zard was decent.

Help a :4charizard: out.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To create a topic.

Do you dislike or don't care about Charizard in the actual Pokemon titles, but enjoy using Charizard in Super Smash Bros.?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
To create a topic.

Do you dislike or don't care about Charizard in the actual Pokemon titles, but enjoy using Charizard in Super Smash Bros.?
Charizard is really cool in the actual Pokemon games. However the only times I have used Zard in the games was in the original Pokemon Red as a starter and as the main character in Mystery Dungeon.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Zard Mains, What would you say are Zard's Pros/Cons?
Pros:
-Large hitboxes
-Fast dash
-Amazing edgeguarding
-Really good spike
-Best recovery for a heavy weight
-Flare Blitz goes through almost everything
-UpB can kill at around 70%
-Charizard gets huge benefits from rage
-Loads of moves with super armor
-Rock Smash has armor can do over 30% of damage
-One of the best grabs
-Has a kill throw

Cons:
-Really crappy walk
-Almost everything is extremely punishable on block
-Air to ground is terrible for the most part
-Weak combos
-Requires taking risks to make the most out of his moves
-Off the ledge options are risky
-Fair whiffs on many grounded opponents
-Free heavy punishes on a blocked Blitz
-Blitz on hit is not techable on hit
-Has a hard time against really fast opponents
-Armor stops working at very high %

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Armour stops working at High %? First time I've heard of this, I still get rock smash armour after 200%.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Armour stops working at High %? First time I've heard of this, I still get rock smash armour after 200%.
I am not quite sure how it works, but getting hit by a strong move at about 150% seems to break through the armor. Try to play against a Lucario who has high aura, your armor shouldn't work.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
It's not really competitively viable but I just love Blast Burn. I think the knockback, damage, and shield damage is just stupid awesome.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi. I have a few questions about Charizard and didn't see a Q&A so I'll ask here. Which moves have super armor? Can Char be grabbed out of Flame Blitz (sideB)? Can flame blitz be canceled early? What throw options for Char KO and at what %s?
Thanks.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Hi. I have a few questions about Charizard and didn't see a Q&A so I'll ask here. Which moves have super armor? Can Char be grabbed out of Flame Blitz (sideB)? Can flame blitz be canceled early? What throw options for Char KO and at what %s?
Thanks.
I think this would be better in the metagame thread, but I'll answer the best I can:

• Down B has super armor. Up B and side B (while spinning only) have weak(?) armor.
  • Probably not, since attacks beat out grabs in general.
  • Yes and no? You can ledge cancel the "tumbling" animation after getting hit, but it requires super specific positioning. Basically, you want to be right at the edge when you're landing so you're not left vulnerable.
  • Down throw can typically kill at around 120%. Back throw can kill, too, or at least get them off the stage to edgeguard if they live; not as strong as down throw. Forward throw is good for setting up edgeguards if you don't want to stale down throw (in case you predict they'll make it back).

Boozer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevilBoozer
3DS FC
4124-5214-3831
aero doesn't actually dislike charizard

he just dislikes losing to my charizard l0l

he's also said i'm the main reason for why he's doing it so you're welcome everyone :>

*flies away*

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Double post cuz important

Frame data is up, it's a stickied topic / guide.

Feel free to ama on the thread about charizards moveset!

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
To create a topic.

Yes and no. Yes Charizard has a cool (abeit simplistic) design, loved him in the anime, and is in my opinion among the coolest Gen1 Pokemon. No I do not actually like using him as part of my team, since he's not really viable competitively in most of the games and is generally the least used Kanto Starter.

To me, Charizard is one of those Pokemon who are badass but also pretty bad, although you could say the same about every other Pokemon smash character except :4greninja:, :4lucario:, and :mewtwopm:. On a competitive setting, his Mega Evolutions are really the only reason you'd ever wanna use him sadly :sadeyes:

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Yes and no. Yes Charizard has a cool (abeit simplistic) design, loved him in the anime, and is in my opinion among the coolest Gen1 Pokemon. No I do not actually like using him as part of my team, since he's not really viable competitively in most of the games and is generally the least used Kanto Starter.
What. Did you skip gen 6?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just some For Glory vids of my gameplay, trying to improve it a little:
:4shulk:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKq7H6BwWQ&index=12&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
:4tlink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPJCwwBb5k&index=11&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
:4luigi:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3h37DMuQ6k&index=10&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
:4diddy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHbpS9KIj8&index=9&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

I' well aware of the video thread for critiques and I did place my stuff in there, but the last time anyone's posted there (discounting myself) was 10 days ago and that I couldn't help posting it here since that place has been inactive for over a week after I posted.

Top Bottom