• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
As someone who was really looking forwards to Charizard, I have to say that I'm quite disappointed. I'm not really liking his playstyle and ultimately, I fail to successfully use him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm having a lot of fun with him personally. So underrated.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
My group of friends are all playing one of the pokemon so I've been trying to pick up Charizard. He's pretty fun. FSmash kills sooooo nice and early. I love it. I also love that a majority of the For Glory players I play against quit after losing two or three matches to him. :shades:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I am so salty.

I had a big post typed out for my evaluation of custom moves and I lost it rofl. So I guess I'll just re-type it after class tonight. Or I'll at least address Dragon Rush, Rising Cyclone, Fire Fang and Rock Hurl (the ones that actually matter).

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I am so salty.

I had a big post typed out for my evaluation of custom moves and I lost it rofl. So I guess I'll just re-type it after class tonight. Or I'll at least address Dragon Rush, Rising Cyclone, Fire Fang and Rock Hurl (the ones that actually matter).
http://getlazarus.com/download

This has saved me many, many times. May it help you forever too ~

Shog

Smash Ace
So I two-stocked a Little Mac player in For Glory after he two-stocked me one round beforehand. I never felt so proud before :3 Punishing there rolls with FlareBlitz and abusing the mighty up tilt is what makes me so glad I chose Charizard as a main

Banryu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Banryu-187
After I realized Charizard was in Brawl he quickly clawed out Meta Knight for my favorite character in the game, and he's only gotten better here. Old news is old, but Charizard feels SO much better and more powerful, and I love it. My practice with Zard in Brawl really seems to be paying off, too, as I catch a lot of people off guard in online For Glory with him.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think I've only seen one Charizard online during my time playing, and that was in a two-on-two versus match in For Glory.

He doesn't seem to be a very popular character, unfortunately. I usually see either Greninja or Lucario instead.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think I've only seen one Charizard online during my time playing, and that was in a two-on-two versus match in For Glory.

He doesn't seem to be a very popular character, unfortunately. I usually see either Greninja or Lucario instead.
In general characters that require patience and knowing when to punish like Wario, Charizard and Jigglypuff are pretty unpopular online.

I play all of them. lol

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
He's so much more comfortable to use than he is in Brawl or even P:M. Flare Blitz is so much better than Heat Wave, and New Rock Smash is so much better than P:M Fly (and Brawl Rock Smash).

I need a quick opinion, though; I noticed I start using Flare Blitz a lot more when:
  • I'm ahead of my opponent by one stock (or more on non-FG modes)
  • I'm already at kill percentages
So basically, I use it as a "nothing to lose" tactic to secure as big of a lead as I possibly can before I inevitably get KO'd, like Super Smash Flash 2 Goku's Kaio-Ken. Is this a decent idea or foolhardy?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I really disagree about this Rock Smash being better than the old Rock Smash.

Brawl Rock Smash was a phenomenal move. The new one is solid but it kinda lost its utility.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Brawl Rock Smash is the most overrated move in Smash history. No one seemed to look beyond it's insane damage because the move was situational.
Now in Smash 4 the move is one of the most reliable sources of super armor while still dealing a lot of damage. The move is insanely good now.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think it's somewhat better now, but I think it has more ending frames than previously. The super armor is where the move shines IMO.

EDIT: So what seems to be some reliable ways to approach the opponent? I try to play Charizard defensively, but sometimes I need to approach the opponent for a mix-up game.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Brawl Rock Smash is the most overrated move in Smash history. No one seemed to look beyond it's insane damage because the move was situational.
Now in Smash 4 the move is one of the most reliable sources of super armor while still dealing a lot of damage. The move is insanely good now.
Except that Brawl Rock Smash didn't stop your momentum and a well spaced one was very hard to punish because of the pebbles having more range.

Super armor is the only thing this Rock Smash has.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Except that Brawl Rock Smash didn't stop your momentum and a well spaced one was very hard to punish because of the pebbles having more range.

Super armor is the only thing this Rock Smash has.
And it's a very important thing that it has. The thing about Brawl RS was that the STARTUP left you wide open.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
And it's a very important thing that it has. The thing about Brawl RS was that the STARTUP left you wide open.
I'm not denying that super armor is important, though.

The rock came out on frame 3 in Brawl, by the way.

ZTD | TECHnology

Very big tournament approaching in my area this weekend so I won't be on as much. In the lab, so to speak. I might hit up a few people for some games though. After this weekend, I will be focusing on the guide. Getting the frame data is proving to be a real pain though.

Xyless

Smash Master
Good luck Tech Chase! Charizard's probably becoming my main, I love his new moveset, and rock smash has insanely usable super armor now (and up B having invincibility still is nice for getting out of combos).

I'm sad Ivysaur didn't make the cut, but what're you gonna do

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I also miss Ivysaur. My favorite of the 3 pokemon.
I didn't know upB had invincibility. I thought it was just armor like in Brawl.

Xyless

Smash Master
oh, it could be armor. I'm pretty sure it just kept the same property as it did in Brawl. Point is, it gives him an out for some combos, which is important for a character of his bulk.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It seems that the sweetspot to spike on Dair is stricter than in Brawl.

Shog

Smash Ace
Argh is here ANYONE from Europe and a Charizard Main? I faced some in Asia, some in the US, but the lag gets us both. For the love of Arceus, is somebody here from Europe :(

(And did you know that you can F-smash into Meta-Knights Side B? That's amazin)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm in Ireland and I have Charizard as my secondary.

Also today is the first time I ever got Zard's dair spike lol
I don't usually go for it. Used to a character without a spike.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Good luck Tech Chase! Charizard's probably becoming my main, I love his new moveset, and rock smash has insanely usable super armor now (and up B having invincibility still is nice for getting out of combos).

I'm sad Ivysaur didn't make the cut, but what're you gonna do
There's a face I haven't seen in forever. And thanks!

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Very big tournament approaching in my area this weekend so I won't be on as much. In the lab, so to speak. I might hit up a few people for some games though. After this weekend, I will be focusing on the guide. Getting the frame data is proving to be a real pain though.
You're basically our mascot, so make us proud

Shog

Smash Ace
So TC Charizard is the best charizard here? Make us proud! Would love to see your recorded replays!

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
Ah, sweet, I'd like in as well. It'd be be a faster way to get Charizard dittos going.

Top Bottom