• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Don't know if this has been asked before, but - As cool as the Flare Blitz is, is it worth it? I mean, after watching some vids, it looks like the enemy takes 20 damage from it, while Charizard himself takes about 24 damage. That's A LOT. I mean, it is powerful, but is it so good that you really take over 20 damage yourself as a punishment?

EDIT: Hmm, in another video here, Charizard only took 9 damage... does it depend on how much damage you have already taken?
It's worth it. Deals A LOT of damage and knocks them far, and is a good horizontal recovery. Great punish tool. 9% (or 20%, not sure) damage in exchange for their soul is worth. Flare Blitz the best.

Hong

The Strongest
His new side-b, Flare Blitz, is also very strong. It can kill easily, has little recoil, and can also be used to recover. Not very sure about his other stuff.
To go back to this, the statement about Flare Blitz's recoil is a little off, wouldn't you say? On impact or after use, Charizard falls completely limp for bit. You can't even tech. Just leaves Charizard kind of defenceless for a few seconds if you mess up.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
To go back to this, the statement about Flare Blitz's recoil is a little off, wouldn't you say? On impact or after use, Charizard falls completely limp for bit. You can't even tech. Just leaves Charizard kind of defenceless for a few seconds if you mess up.
Hmm. Fair enough, my bad. I actually quite like the recoil though, as crazy as it sounds. It makes Charizard feel more... special. I don't think anybody else in the game has recoil on their moves (barring Pichu), and even then Pichu didn't have a move that was uber powerful like Flare Blitz. A powerful and fast move, but in exchange has consequences if you hit it. Very unique if you ask me. It's also just like in the Pokemon games (well, it's much better in the Pokemon games), very powerful but using it too much can lead to death.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Hmm. Fair enough, my bad. I actually quite like the recoil though, as crazy as it sounds. It makes Charizard feel more... special. I don't think anybody else in the game has recoil on their moves (barring Pichu), and even then Pichu didn't have a move that was uber powerful like Flare Blitz. A powerful and fast move, but in exchange has consequences if you hit it. Very unique if you ask me. It's also just like in the Pokemon games (well, it's much better in the Pokemon games), very powerful but using it too much can lead to death.
I agree that I like when moves feel like a signficant strategic choice.

Flare Blitz is an incredibly powerful move. High damage, fast speed, beats almost anything in its path, good kill move in general.
But the trade-offs? Start up (with a distinct sound), self-damage, and dead-time after use.

It adds something fresh and original to the character that will be fun to play with.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Here we go fellow Zards, we're just a Gamestop midnight release event away from holding Sm4sh in our hands. If anyone is entering a tournament, I wish you all the luck. I can't wait for tonight!

Shog

Smash Ace
I wasted 70% of my time only on Charizard:4charizard:, because he is so fun to play in this game, thanks to Superarmor Down B and Flare Blitz. I would have never thought that I might main Charizard, how weird.

Btw my nicknames for the alts I use: Cherryzard (the Dark Red one) and Bluerak (Glurak is the german name, blue alt)

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I love those nicknames you gave them, they're fitting and clever!

I still have to wait until tomorrow after school before I can get my hands on the game and try out good old Charizard... Oh well, it'll be worth the wait, I'm sure of it!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Got the game a day early and kept on my promise to main Charizard that I had ever since he was announced. The character seems to be really bad, but I think I'll do it anyways.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Charizard seems to be an all-around good character for me to main. Decent heavyweight, good range, and has good grabs. I like to use characters that have a mixture of melee and ranged attacks in their moveset. Captain Falcon is one exception though.

Got the game a day early and kept on my promise to main Charizard that I had ever since he was announced. The character seems to be really bad, but I think I'll do it anyways.
I once thought that about some of the characters who would eventually become my mains. If you really want to use him, keep at it. I never thought I would main Olimar in Brawl, but I kept playing as him after hearing how good he was.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I've been using PT quite a lot in Brawl and I really liked Charizard so I was hyped to see him being a real character now. If he sucks I will try my best to suck as little as possible.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Charizard hype!

I can't wait to see vids come up with Charizard mains now that Smash 4 is released. Looking forward to coming around here lots. (I had thought the General thread was the social, that's why I wasn't here earlier, but checked the forums and saw this stickied)

Smash 4 Zard ftw ^^

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
So I just started playing as Charizard an hour ago against one of my friends, and my God do I have a newfound love for him. Flare Blitz is nuts.

Shog

Smash Ace
I also unlocked Dragon Rush recently, which is a drill move unlike Flare Blitz. Flare Blitz is better, but Dragon Rush has no recoil and start up sound and ending lag

By god custom moves must be allowed. I don't care about Equipment, just give me my custom moves!!

ZTD | TECHnology

For anyone interested, I will be posting my own personal analysis of Zard tomorrow morning or afternoon (I've been playing with him since the midnight release). All I can say now is:

Hello, I'm Tech_Chase and I main Charizard. I love this character <3

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I posted some observations about Charizard in my metagame thread. Give it a look and join the conversation. We all have the game now (or most of us). It's time to start leveling up.

Shog

Smash Ace
For anyone starting with Charizard: All B moves are good, use F Air and his grabs. Forward Smash is ridiculous strong.

Eh atleast it works for me.

Hong

The Strongest
Charizard in general is really strong. The majority of his buttons feel like kill moves!:006:

Hong

The Strongest
Default will do. If someone else takes it, I suppose I would choose the white one.

Shog

Smash Ace
Cherryzard and Bluerak for me

Btw I never could defeat Little Mac in For Glory because his roll is to good and gets behind my flamethrower. Can someone give me a tip what to do against him?

Hong

The Strongest
Charizard is actually one of the harder characters to play as. I'm enjoying the learning experience.

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Charizard is actually one of the harder characters to play as. I'm enjoying the learning experience.
He feels a lot smoother than he did last gen. Maybe it's just me idk

Shog

Smash Ace
Folks, opinions about Custom Moves I tried out a lot:

Fire Fang is meh:
It has kill power but Flamethrower is a great zoning option, why would you change that.

Dragon Rush(Side Special 3) is so goood:

- Much less ending lag: I can chase you off the stage and return back with a return side b and up b. That is like using Metaknights Side B off stage and going back with it. That is so satisfying!! And the knockback is forward!!!!

- You can combo into f tilt, neutral b flames and jabs at 0% against like all enemies (I bet you can do more than only 0%, but you get the idea), I think this is an important point because Comboing with Charizard is kinda hard.

- No recoil damage.

- Projectiles doesn't get eaten but you won't get damaged/ they get neutralized!

If it pressures shields or goes easily through it...holy moly. I tested it a lot in Training Mode, finding out like Greninjas Taunt doing Damage and stuff, but the CPU never shields properly :/

Seriously, if someone here is really skilled with Charizard and has this move(S Special 3): Try. It. Out. NOW. It is amazing.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I love Flare Blitz. Fox spamming laz0rs? Flare Blitz. Enemy landing on their back? Flare Blitz. Trying to recover? Flare Blitz. Enemy failing laggy moves? Flare Blitz. Wanna look cool? Flare Blitz. Finishing a combo? Flare Blitz.

Occasionally there's those times where I miss and fall to my doom. Or the enemy shields and proceeds to murder me. ...or I rack up to 60% damage done to myself because I use it too much. Still, Flare Blitz is an awesome move and I love it.

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Folks, opinions about Custom Moves I tried out a lot:

Fire Fang is meh:
It has kill power but Flamethrower is a great zoning option, why would you change that.

Dragon Rush(Side Special 3) is so goood:

- Much less ending lag: I can chase you off the stage and return back with a return side b and up b. That is like using Metaknights Side B off stage and going back with it. That is so satisfying!! And the knockback is forward!!!!

- You can combo into f tilt, neutral b flames and jabs at 0% against like all enemies (I bet you can do more than only 0%, but you get the idea), I think this is an important point because Comboing with Charizard is kinda hard.

- No recoil damage.

- Projectiles doesn't get eaten but you won't get damaged/ they get neutralized!

If it pressures shields or goes easily through it...holy moly. I tested it a lot in Training Mode, finding out like Greninjas Taunt doing Damage and stuff, but the CPU never shields properly :/

Seriously, if someone here is really skilled with Charizard and has this move(S Special 3): Try. It. Out. NOW. It is amazing.
Are custom moves going to be legal?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Are custom moves going to be legal?
Right now it's looking like that will vary from TO to TO. At least in my region, two TO's said they'll allow them almost immediately (they will ban them for a month or two after the game's out to allow people to unlock them all) and a third TO said he'll ban them until a real metagame has developed.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
As a TO myself I would not allow custom moves in my events until they have been explored well enough. There is potential for some really broken stuff and it would completely wreck the counterpick system.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I've been playing zard quite a bit with my friend, something I noticed was that charizards spike is amazing (dair) its pretty easy to hit and you can gimp little mac through his side B. Its not that big but its was really fun to use.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Charizard in this game feels quite a bit different from how I handled him in Project M, but I called it that he would end up being a massive improvement compared to his Brawl incarnation.

His neutral air isn't hard to use at all, and while it doesn't have the range it has in PM, it's still very good for breaking off attacks. His recovery is still pretty bad, though. :ohwell:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
His recovery is actually very good. SideB recovers from anywhere assuming you are above the stage. UpB more than does the job with the new ledge mechanic and also having super armor to make sure you don't get interrupted. His recovery is among the best for his weight class.

ZTD | TECHnology

Zard's main limitation in his recovery is when he's knocked below the ledge at a weird horizontal angle. If he can't get level with the stage and has to recovery diagonally, yes, he has some serious issues. But, you really shouldn't be letting this happen to begin with so overall and especially for his weight class, his recovery is respectable.

ZTD | TECHnology

Throughout the next few weeks, I will be releasing a series of community driven threads titled "Charizard Community Project #_: *insert title here*. The point is to start consolidating information on our character and gain useful insight, perspectives. his information will also be used to help develop a character guide later. The first of these threads will be released later today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom