• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
well, the us has lost to canada, britain never has. ergo, us < britain

if you wouldnt call suffering twice as many casualties, getting pushed back into your own territory (including losing Detroit on a bluff), having your capital burned down (only country to do so!), and ending the war without any gains against a country you didnt bother to pull an army together for because you thought your state militias could just walk in and take without a fight, and whose mother country was fighting a whole other war several hundred times the scale on the other side of the ocean a loss, then i have absolutely no clue what is.

Unless the part you're disputing is the Canada part, in which case, my nationalism would beg to differ.

Sieguest

Smash Master
O_O What am I reading? This is why we keep the transitive property in mathematics and not anywhere outside of it.

if you wouldnt call suffering twice as many casualties, getting pushed back into your own territory (including losing Detroit on a bluff), having your capital burned down (only country to do so!), and ending the war without any gains against a country you didnt bother to pull an army together for because you thought your state militias could just walk in and take the place without a fight and whose mother country was fighting a whole other war several hundred times the scale on the other side of the ocean a loss, then i have absolutely no clue what is.
As to this section.
1) Singularity, I could just as easily enter the argument and say "We won the revolution, therefore US>Britain"
2) You're only picking out parts of the War of 1812. Did you forget to mention the Battle of New Orleans or the United States successful defense of New York as well as Baltimore? You also overlooked the Gulf coast where the U.S. had major success during the war too.
3) You also don't mention that age difference between the countries. The U.S. was practically a baby country in the early 1800s compared to Britain being a long established force. For the U.S. to do some of the things it did with how young it was is pretty good.
4) Your argument is too narrow and is only reliant on the past. You should also factor in recent economic and political situations when evaluating which country is better.

I could mention more, but I think I've gotten the point across.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Canada wasn't an independent country at that point, ergo, the US did not lose to Canada; they suffered losses against Britain. We more than made up for it with the aforementioned battle of New Orleans, which was basically a *****slap to "your" "superior" militia by a few random dudes with squirrel guns. Plus that entire thing where you kind of maybe burned down our capital was an effort by British troops in retaliation for OUR burning of York/Toronto.

So yeah, the Brits had their moments, the Canadians didn't exist yet, and the good ol' USA kicked the **** out of everyone yet again.

This is basically what happened.

ballin4life

Smash Hero

if you wouldnt call suffering twice as many casualties, getting pushed back into your own territory (including losing Detroit on a bluff), having your capital burned down (only country to do so!), and ending the war without any gains against a country you didnt bother to pull an army together for because you thought your state militias could just walk in and take without a fight, and whose mother country was fighting a whole other war several hundred times the scale on the other side of the ocean a loss, then i have absolutely no clue what is.

Unless the part you're disputing is the Canada part, in which case, my nationalism would beg to differ.
Uh Canada = Britain there BRO

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol ballin', we can't bring ourselves to disagree, can we?

Hey so can I get in the DH now are you guys gonna grill me or something?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
battle of new orleans happened after the war ended. doesnt count.

and if i was seriously trying to argue britain's superiority the war of 1812 would totally not be my first and only point of discussion lol

tbqh im in no way qualified for the debate hall

Battlecow

Play to Win
Doesn't matter if it happened after the war (veeeeeery technically), it's still an example of us kicking brit ***.

T-block

B2B TST
I'd like to "formally" apply for the DH proper. I hope this isn't too early, but I'm seeing a couple +1's in the Jedi Council, so I thought I'd make this post.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
sup block. yeah I see no reason why you can't but I'll wait and see if anyone else objects. go ahead and apply anyway so it's there for us. you too eschament.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm not particularly interested in this "achieving status" thing but this Proving Ground seems to be incredibly dead. The Debate Hall itself seems to be somewhat dry as well.

How can I "prove" myself when there's nobody to prove anything to? Maybe it's because I'm new but this system seems a little strange to me...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm not particularly interested in this "achieving status" thing but this Proving Ground seems to be incredibly dead. The Debate Hall itself seems to be somewhat dry as well.

How can I "prove" myself when there's nobody to prove anything to? Maybe it's because I'm new but this system seems a little strange to me...
Honestly who do you think you are you've been here two seconds and you think you can.... just kidding you're pretty much right about everything you said.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Haha! No offence intended but did something big happen to warrant this crazy trial process?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh, what a shame. Guess I'll poke my head in here once in a while to see if the monsoon rain has come to the desert that is the Debate Hall.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to be considered for the DH as well, I'm still relatively new here but with so much inactivity hard to prove anything....well when the rooms pick up activity I can hopefully prove myself for access to the DH.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Applying regardless of how much I posted or what the requirements are because there is absolutely no reason not to.

I have no idea why there is even a need to explicitly apply for the main Debate Hall. Aren't we all here to get in there eventually?

I don't see why I wouldn't just make a void application and just leave it here for the sake of having a standing application. If eventually I am considered worthy of joining the cool guys club it really shouldn't require a whole process like this to realize it.

Plus I could probably get some recommendation from people who are somehow in there already, BPC at least.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
And this is why there is a trail process installed.
You want to debate me then? Drop the condescending tone.

Sorry if there is no activity for me to prove myself. I also love how you imply I haven't been lurking this place for the last few years, following your every argument.

*Edit* And yes, I was partly kidding. Look around, I've posted numerous times in different threads.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm not, particularly. Felt as if I was going to be put on blast, for a simple misunderstanding.

I have no qualms with you personally, either.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You can all apply for Debater Status, it's fine with me. As to whether or not you'd get in, that's up to the consensus reached by the current members. I'll agree the PG is dead atm, but it's not always so. The DH in general is quiet right now, but it's not always so. If there is some crazy debate going on that you just have to get involved in, and you cannot access it because it's in the main forum, simply recreate it here in the PG.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
^Is this due to lack of members, lack of interesting topics, or because all the members are gone?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
There are sometimes just spurts of low activity that occur from time to time. I usually don't stop by here very often during the summer but activity usually picks back up during the school year.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
All these young kids want nowadays is the glitz and glamour...

Back in my day it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to earn the pink glory...

All jokes aside there is usually only activity when there is a controversial topic like a God or homosexuality debate, but both those debates have been beaten into the ground now, particularly God/religion debates.

The unfortunate reality is that the biggest activity draws are debates where the issues are so delicate that everyone becomes more concerned with preaching to the other side rather than just debating for the art of debating.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i did far more than was necessary to get in

like...enough debate to get approx 10 yes votes and then a center stage debate

we should have something about plain packaging in tobacco

Battlecow

Play to Win
The reason there's no activity is that the DH'ers only want to debate with people they agree with. This presents an obvious logical problem- lack of interesting topics to debate. When someone new and different (and, dare I say, dashingly handsome and brilliant?) sweeps in, they persecute him and throw him out on his ear. Sigh.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yes, I'd say it's picked up a bit. Keep it up, guys, a little more and we'll have some new additions to the DH proper.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Yeah, there was a time when the debate hall was packed with debates about God and such. However, after a while (and it did take a while), those topics died out, causing a lot of debaters (myself included) who focused on those topics to go MIA.

Top Bottom