• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***The Cave Bi-Weeklies Official Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcheato

Smash Ace
Does "getting whooped by Matt" really count as practice? =P
Shh! I meant I'm actually practicing my tech skill and combos for a change. You and Mike want to go to this? Give me a call sometime today if you guys need a ride.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I've got some super serious Johns, guys:

I'm going to a Magic draft tournament tomorrow. And then a Halo 3 LAN. After all that, I'll probably play Diablo 2. Am I not the most well-rounded nerd ever?

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Good luck at the Magic draft! Just know that you're not the only one here who might go to Magic instead of Smash. XD

khepri

Smash Lord
Nothing is wrong with playing competitive super smash brothers. Even my most of my preppy friends think its pretty cool. But of course competitive magic is nerdy.
Friends of mine which play magic (one of them is the current IL champ) think that playing smash competitively is the nerdiest thing ever. Mind you, they play D&D every week too.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Friends of mine which play magic (one of them is the current IL champ) think that playing smash competitively is the nerdiest thing ever. Mind you, they play D&D every week too.
IMO 'nerdiness' is classified by the preppy crowd and 'preppiness' is classified by the nerdy crowd.

Or they are both classified by the -middlecrowd-...but i consider that to be on the preppy side.

Wow! The Chaste system amongst teens is awsome.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
*Plays D&D as well* >.>

So, yeah. I wanna meet your Magic friend. Maybe get a few games in. Probably not gonna happen, but I'm always up for Magic. ^_^

khepri

Smash Lord
*Plays D&D as well* >.>

So, yeah. I wanna meet your Magic friend. Maybe get a few games in. Probably not gonna happen, but I'm always up for Magic. ^_^
I doubt you'd meet him unless you go for a tournament. He writes a lot about magic, so you can probably find his articles online. His name is Mike Wawszczak.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I've got some super serious Johns, guys:

I'm going to a Magic draft tournament tomorrow. And then a Halo 3 LAN. After all that, I'll probably play Diablo 2. Am I not the most well-rounded nerd ever?
Good luck at the Magic draft! Just know that you're not the only one here who might go to Magic instead of Smash. XD
That takes me back. I use to work for a comic book shop back in 2001 and ended up with all foil decks that could win tourneys.

Magic <3.

Zjiin

Smash Master
sorry to sound nub but how competitive is magic?
Well, the smash crowd is like 25% competitive and 75% casual. If Magic is anything like it was when i was playing, it's 80% competitive and 20% casual. That game was geared towards complex strategy building.

BIG C

Smash Master
obviously video games >>>> tcg's and ccg's >>>>>>>>>>> tabletop RPing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LARPing.

of course this is talking about nerdiness on a least to greatest scale.

khepri

Smash Lord
obviously video games >>>> tcg's and ccg's >>>>>>>>>>> tabletop RPing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LARPing.

I didn't understand any of that, does that mean I win?

Ouendanation

Smash Ace

I understood all of that ._.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Yeah, for how many johns were made in the beginning, it might actually have a good turnout this week.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
So yeah, some of us Southside people were thinking of coming to this, but it seems that time and again the pot does not merit a trip all the way up to Geneva; tink has told me that it's been something along the lines of $40 and below for first place in singles, without splitting, which is quite low and basically just covers gas and food money for any participant. I suggest increasing admission to $10 for singles and $20 for teams. With a larger pay-out comes more interest, and with that, more competition as well as an added drive to improve for all involved. As well, I am certain that the Cave would appreciate the added publicity it would receive from the additional patronage. Just something to think about.

Mars-

Smash Champion
So yeah, some of us Southside people were thinking of coming to this, but it seems that time and again the pot does not merit a trip all the way up to Geneva; tink has told me that it's been something along the lines of $40 and below for first place in singles, without splitting, which is quite low and basically just covers gas and food money for any participant. I suggest increasing admission to $10 for singles and $20 for teams. With a larger pay-out comes more interest, and with that, more competition as well as an added drive to improve for all involved. As well, I am certain that the Cave would appreciate the added publicity it would receive from the additional patronage. Just something to think about.
But us cheap *** chicagoans like it at $5, infact it was $10 until we requested it be lowered to $5. And unless somebody from like the west coast or something comes, I don't think that we will be changing it.

Me14k

Smash Lord
But us cheap *** chicagoans like it at $5, infact it was $10 until we requested it be lowered to $5. And unless somebody from like the west coast or something comes, I don't think that we will be changing it.

Actually...it was $5 for the first two tournies, then I was talking to jeff about increasing attendance, I told him +entry fee would get more people to come, so we did for a few tournies then every1 complained and we lowered it back.

Zjiin: Smash is way less that 25% competitive. Competitive video gamers are a very small share of the market and that is why Video Game companies dont make games intended for the competitive gamers. Look at halo2-3 and melee-brawl. I used to play competitive h2...it was a technical game and hard to master, as melee is. Halo3 roles around and there is very little tech skill (that im aware of), same is for brawl as we know it. By looking at the trends of the video game industry we can infer that competitive video gaming is a very small market.

Now looking at 'magic' and other card fighting games, we can see that nearly any real play is considered to be competitive. I used to collect pokemon cards..i would never play by official rules b/c it was too complicated. Every saturday I went to toys r us and there were like 50 kids there to play pokemon cards with officials to guide us-----competitive.

I dont know what I just said..if it makes sense; props to me...if it doesnt, Mars wrote it.

Tink

Smash Hero
heh, true. still, cunning cant go unless its higher. dont you people want to play cunnign!!!

chun1

Smash Apprentice
10 bucks? very stupid. there's way less than 20 ppl in the tourny. keep it at five so more people can enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom