• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
iirc, I think Lordy hates Raptor Boost -> Falcon Dive, calls it a nooby combo lol. Thing is, it doesn't even work most of the time :p

Raptor Boost -> Feint Jump(forces an airdodge) -> Fastfall -> Jump again -> Knee/Uair. Eff yeah.
Ah, yeah. That's it. Thanks Biglord.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Why would anyone Raptor Boost > Falcon Dive anyway? That's a good way to get yourself wrecked. I mean, come on, Falcon's bad enough. Why make him worse?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i do that every now in infinity, i usually just pause and laugh in their face when it lands

then i press start, and unplug their controller :V

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Are there any locks with Captain Falcon?
I already read something about a f-tilt-lock, how to do this? Are there other locks with him?

Yung Mei

just ftilt lock afaik

To me, easiest way to set up Ftilt lock is by hitting them when theyre shielding on the edge of a platform, when they fall down and land on the floor, you can ftilt lock, for god knows how many hits

you can do it on walls too :V

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Are there any locks with Captain Falcon?
I already read something about a f-tilt-lock, how to do this? Are there other locks with him?
Sourspot bair lock -> forced getup
3 hit ftilt (angled down) lock (SDI-dependent)
Fhtrow x4 against a wall
FH Nair -> Footstool locks (not 100% frame-proof)

And I think you can do funny uair locks on platforms and such.

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Thank you Calvo819, PZ and lordhelmet!
Are there any videos so I could make sure that I understand it right? And what are possible Set-Ups for any of this locks?
Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Thank you Calvo819, PZ and lordhelmet!
Are there any videos so I could make sure that I understand it right? And what are possible Set-Ups for any of this locks?
Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261037

Under Falcon Combos.

If you're new, mastering your spacing and understanding how to play the game at a high level is leagues more important than tech skill.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
^Or kneeing AND Falcon Punching everything that you see, doesn't matter if it moves or not.

Also, janne, don't forget to know about the game. The more you know about stages, characters and their actions, the more you will be able to predict what's going to happen. And that's actually a big deal when you're using the good Captain.

Yung Mei

Dude that might be a joke, but I've been watching ally and how he ac dairs all the time. That **** has improved my game by like 30%
i've been ac dairing since 2 weeks ago, and i've been able to combo from it into jabs, to grabs, more dair's, and tilts :V

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I feel like AC dair is really just a gimmick.

They'll try to punish you a few times, but after a while they'll take advantage of the **** hitbox and hit you out of the large startup lag.

Yung Mei

just slide your jump button to dair

dont use tap jump, that **** is ****ing weird

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Hold the controller the claw style.

Right index finger curled over the Y button and your right thumb on the c-stick. Then you can just go back and forth with the control stick with your left hand, press the jump button lightly and dair with the c-stick all at the same time.

Jelley

Smash Cadet
What is ac dair? Is it where the dair launches players away from you instead of below you?

Captain Cruz

Smash Cadet
Hold the controller the claw style.

Right index finger curled over the Y button and your right thumb on the c-stick. Then you can just go back and forth with the control stick with your left hand, press the jump button lightly and dair with the c-stick all at the same time.[

this is again gonna take me some time to figure out.
thx

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Being able to switch back and forth between using the claw style of play and the regular style is extremely beneficial. Back when I used Sheik, I had to get use to it since it was the easiest way to use her DACUS. It's annoying to get use to, but worth it in the end. It makes using aerial pressure a lot easier. AC Dairs, buffered SH knees, spaced Bair pressuring.

It's more useful to other characters than Falcon, so if you use anyone else on the roster, you should definitely try that out.

More detailed way of putting it:

Left thumb: Control Stick / D-Pad for taunts
Left index: L Trigger
Left middle: N/A
Left ring: N/A
Left pinky: N/A

Right thumb: 'A' / 'B' / C-Stick
Right index: Curled over 'Y' whenever necessary
Right middle: R Trigger
Right right: N/A
Right pinky: N/A

Realized that my post last night wasn't too clear. No sleep = everything sounding better in your head. Lol

Captain Cruz

Smash Cadet
Being able to switch back and forth between using the claw style of play and the regular style is extremely beneficial. Back when I used Sheik, I had to get use to it since it was the easiest way to use her DACUS. It's annoying to get use to, but worth it in the end. It makes using aerial pressure a lot easier. AC Dairs, buffered SH knees, spaced Bair pressuring.

It's more useful to other characters than Falcon, so if you use anyone else on the roster, you should definitely try that out.

More detailed way of putting it:

Left index: L Trigger
Left middle: N/A
Left ring: N/A
Left pinky: N/A

Right thumb: 'A' / 'B' / C-Stick
Right index: Curled over 'Y' whenever necessary
Right middle: R Trigger
Right right: N/A
Right pinky: N/A

Realized that my post last night wasn't too clear. No sleep = everything sounding better in your head. Lol

Thx alot, but how the F can you play like this, and nipple storming is kinda easier now tho.
i need some more practice.

And is nipple storming an important aspect of falcon's game i'm gonna attend my first tournament in a month or 2, playing with falcon ofcourse.
i just actually wanna know if it's important.

edit.

My hand looks so ********.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, Nipple Storming is good to keep in mind. Falcon's Dair has one of the largest hitboxes out of his moveset, does decent knockback if you haven't staled it and it hits horizontally rather than vertically (we've dubbed that the 'Nipple Blaster' around here). It's not a true combo, but it puts opponents in awkward positions. They have to be timing their airdodges/techs if they don't want to keep getting hit by it.

It's generally safe too. Uhhh, at least on terms of how safe Falcon can be. Before I stopped playing, I abused Bair and Dair when opponents were grounded or short hopping, Uair when they were above Falcon, and I would use the knee when they were above 80%, or when I knew it was going to KO. There's some times where you could throw the knee out and try to prevent them from recovering, but it's sort of character/stage specific. Not something I'd rely on in every match.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I feel like I don't use Dair enough. Only matchups where I use it are Yoshi and ICs because they both have very dumb shields.

Also my finger positioning :O

Left index: L

Right thumb: A / B / C-Stick / Y / X
Right index: Z / X (mid air jump) / A (dacus)
Right middle: R (set to jump)

Clawing style da bess.

Captain Cruz

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Nipple Storming is good to keep in mind. Falcon's Dair has one of the largest hitboxes out of his moveset, does decent knockback if you haven't staled it and it hits horizontally rather than vertically (we've dubbed that the 'Nipple Blaster' around here). It's not a true combo, but it puts opponents in awkward positions. They have to be timing their airdodges/techs if they don't want to keep getting hit by it.

It's generally safe too. Uhhh, at least on terms of how safe Falcon can be. Before I stopped playing, I abused Bair and Dair when opponents were grounded or short hopping, Uair when they were above Falcon, and I would use the knee when they were above 80%, or when I knew it was going to KO. There's some times where you could throw the knee out and try to prevent them from recovering, but it's sort of character/stage specific. Not something I'd rely on in every match.
thx again,
I'll try to master nipple BLASTING to, (its kinda catchy)
i still need to teach myself not to do random knee's anymore and just do it when its needed.
and i RAR my Bair alot i mostly approach that way, and i only knee now when there off stage and under the stage, to sweetspot or to gimp them.
ill try to keep it in mind.
and now keep practicing, and now im at it you have some more tips/advice you have for me?

And sorry if my grammar sucks im dutch,

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Forget claw, just set R to attack
The point of it is to give you more stability of your aerials with the C-stick, so you don't have to hold the control stick a certain way to do the aerials. If you set R to attack, it's not going to help too much. Setting it to jump, maybe, but that's still kind of 'eh' imo.

Jelley

Smash Cadet
If you have a classic controller then I would use that for auto cancelling dair. All you have to do is have your thumb cover both the X and the A button by having your thumb at an angle. Then you just press down and your thumb should hit both the X and the A button, your thumb has to hit the X button first though

Top Bottom