• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cactuar Rating System

Kal

Smash Champion
The spelling "cactaur" is actually 6.4 Cactuars.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's the sum of the number of Cactuars of Roy's grab range and the difference in length between Marth and Roy's respective swords, measured in meters.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Marths grab range = 3 cactuars + (falchion - sword of seals)

Aka: 5 cactuars

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
It sounds like a joke, but mow is legitimately trying to create a method for rating the level of "jank" any concept/strategy has by making me a basic unit of measurement. Unfortunately, people are stupid and are trying to rank the ridiculousness of concepts based on arbitrary feel of the concept on a scale of 0 to 8 rather than a realistic model which is:

0 = a concept that is sound and effective.
1 = a concept that is effective enough that it would be a staple in my own arsenal of usable techniques, yet not sound enough that it would be a universally accepted tech.
2.4 = a concept that is roughly even to my overall playstyle and persona, which is made up of a large number of various techs of varying levels of jankiness, but very few techs that are not sound on some level.
Values > 2.4 ranging up to 8 represent a decline in soundness and an increase in jankiness.

Or something.

*:troll:*

:phone:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
It sounds like a joke, but mow is legitimately trying to create a method for rating the level of "jank" any concept/strategy has by making me a basic unit of measurement. Unfortunately, people are stupid and are trying to rank the ridiculousness of concepts based on arbitrary feel of the concept on a scale of 0 to 8 rather than a realistic model which is:

0 = a concept that is sound and effective.
1 = a concept that is effective enough that it would be a staple in my own arsenal of usable techniques, yet not sound enough that it would be a universally accepted tech.
2.4 = a concept that is roughly even to my overall playstyle and persona, which is made up of a large number of various techs of varying levels of jankiness, but very few techs that are not sound on some level.
Values > 2.4 ranging up to 8 represent a decline in soundness and an increase in jankiness.

Or something.

*:troll:*

This post is about 5 cactuars

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I see it operating as cactuars = (2^x) - 1 where x is number of jank statements in the post divided by the number of non jank statements.

Kal

Smash Champion
That forces 0 < x < log_2(9), which seems a little contrived to me. The maximum number of Cactuars is 8 because of advanced mathematical concepts. Setting C(x) = 2^x - 1 is just nonsense.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I always thought it would look kind of like (-1)/(x-8). Except not really, because I think it would rise more quickly than that.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
So jank is Cactuar's rate of change? And the jankier something is, the more he changes?

Wow, Brawl must have caused him to change a lot.

D

Deleted member

linear scale is...linear.

jigglypuff's "air control" is a potent 4.3 cactuars.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
If I had a Cactuar for every brain you don't have; I'd have 1 Cactuar.

Best post ever.

A player's first move in a match is jump about 90% of the time.

Before the announcer could finish saying go, I misfired into a jumping fox.

That's about 5 cactuars right there.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
^ Happened to me before haha

My friend Slow, who mains luigi and is like my only source of frequent practice, edgeguarded me while I was offstage as puff with a misfire. If he did a regular green missile I would have gotten a free gimp, and if he missed he would have killed himself off the side, but he got me dead on and recovered.

I can't tell if this scenario is approaching 8 cactuars for how jank it was, or 0 cactuars for how awesome it was.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
The math equations determining the formula for Cactuars is probably the nerdiest thing I've ever seen. That being said it is 0 cactuars because it is technically sound (just hilarious and pointless). I think I need to up my play style 1 or 2 cactuars.

past_b

Smash Apprentice
The math equations determining the formula for Cactuars is probably the nerdiest thing I've ever seen. That being said it is 0 cactuars because it is technically sound (just hilarious and pointless). I think I need to up my play style 1 or 2 cactuars.
Lol agreed. I laugh when I read these proposed formulas. Being a math major, I find them extra entertaining haha

D

Deleted member

mycatgoesmow: i'll tell jason that he's being mean by not talking to you
Kevin: LMAO
Kevin: thats messed up
mycatgoesmow: he'll feel bad and call you or something
mycatgoesmow: he does that
mycatgoesmow: LOL
Kevin: hes talked to me a lot lately
Kevin: yeah he does
Kevin: its odd
mycatgoesmow: m2k has such good manners
mycatgoesmow: m2k being mean is almost 4 whole cactuars
Kevin: LMAO
mycatgoesmow: almost
Kevin: i love the cactuar scale
Kevin: he keeps asking me about it
Kevin: cactuar i mean
Kevin: hes like i wanna know how this happened
Kevin: hahahahaa
mycatgoesmow: i saw something the other day that was a strong 6
Kevin: word
mycatgoesmow: interested?
Kevin: yes
mycatgoesmow: it's a short video
mycatgoesmow: lemme find it
Kevin: aight
mycatgoesmow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_iOegJJsJs&t=3m
mycatgoesmow: just that race
Kevin: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Kevin: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Kevin: this is obscene
Kevin: mega cactuars
Kevin: in here
mycatgoesmow: lap 3 is like
mycatgoesmow: ....
mycatgoesmow: ???
mycatgoesmow: > 6 cactuars
mycatgoesmow: LOL
Kevin: OH WTF
Kevin: LAP 3
Kevin: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Mahone

Smash Champion
I can dig up the post if you want, but basically after the pr tourney you bet me $10 chillin would **** me the next time we played
and he didnt so u owe me $10

Kal

Smash Champion
Mew2King owes me $2. So does Azen, but Azen didn't whine the whole car ride and beg for ibuprofen, so I only expect M2K to pay up. Mathematical consensus is that this is (0 + 8)/2 = 4 Cactuars.

Top Bottom