• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Bowser Social Thread

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
A lot of Bowser's gameplay is actually reactionary. Mindgames are important, though.
That's true, especially when it comes to edgegaurding. But I was talking about his slower moves in general, especially his FSmash and UAir and other such slow, powerful moves that need time to hit stuff.

If you're not playing with friends or practicing tech skill, are you just theory crafting on the boards?
Not even that. I'm not even really trying to progress, simply because I have no means of doing so.

Practicing tech is useless because my Wii is hooked up to an LCD TV. This cannot be helped because I have no say in the matter.

Like I said earlier, I don't ever get to play Melee with anyone anymore. I can't invite anyone over because my parents won't let me because my house is in a perpetual state of messiness (which isn't my fault, but they don't even care), and even if I could invite people over, my Wii is hooked up to an LCD TV.

I have only a few friends in particular who actually have SSBM, but all of them either can't invite me over (because their parents won't let them because their houses are messy, too) or just don't for whatever reason (not going to ask them why because that would be rude).

I could try to arrange having someone drive me to a smashfest or something, but I would like to at least be in practice (rather than 4 months out of practice) beforehand so I don't play like a complete noob and get my metaphorical posterior handed to me half a dozen times while I try to get back up to speed.

TL;DR: The only way for me to play Smash with people is to go to an event, which I don't want to to without getting back into practice first, which can't happen unless my current situation improves.

i love when people say "mindgames" like they know what that actually means

its like DONT FORGET ABOUT MINDGAMES GUYS
I don't need to know what they are to know that they're important. :p

In all seriousness, I would like to think that I have at least some idea of what mindgaming is. Let's see if I can't sum it up...

Doing what your opponent doesn't expect and expecting your opponent to do what he does before he does it is mindgaming. Knowing not only what your opponent can do, but also what your opponent is likely to do and how to counter/punish it is mindgaming. Generally being inside your opponent's head, being impossible to predict, correctly predicting what your opponent is going to do, and taking full advantage of them when they do it is mindgaming. Mindgaming is thinking a whole freaking lot about everything that is happening and will probably happen and what you should do about it.

And yes, I did just go and read g-regulate's thread on mindgames before writing that. Sue me.

(Here's a link to said thread, for the convenience of those who haven't read it yet and would like to read it.)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I could try to arrange having someone drive me to a smashfest or something, but I would like to at least be in practice (rather than 4 months out of practice) beforehand so I don't play like a complete noob and get my metaphorical posterior handed to me half a dozen times while I try to get back up to speed.
If you have no one to play with, and you really want to get back into practice, you should probably just go to a fest. You can learn a lot, even if you're rusty and nowhere near the others' level. I just went to a fest myself after not touching this game for exactly a month, due to health problems. I was rusty as heck, but I actually did better than I think I usually do. I bodied the first guy I played and he was actually pretty decent. I was quite surprised, tbh. The thing is, as long as you're thinking actively about the game and how it's played, you can keep yourself somewhat up to par. Your motor instincts and muscle memory might be a tiny bit lacking, but that usually comes back with a couple hours of playing. However, I believe my absence from the game allowed me to subconsciously drop all my bad habits and be more open-minded when I came back into the game for the first time.

Go through scenarios in your head and think about what you would do. Re-inforce your knowledge and your ideas by watching matches of other good people play the game. This will keep you in the right mindset, but your lack of playing repeatedly will have allowed you to lose your bad habits. When you come back, try to apply new things you learned, even if you'd never gotten the chance to try them on a human being before. You might even find yourself doing even better than you did before.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
I just went to a fest myself after not touching this game for exactly a month, due to health problems. I was rusty as heck, but I actually did better than I think I usually do. I bodied the first guy I played and he was actually pretty decent. I was quite surprised, tbh.
I've had a similar experience once. I was a month or so out of practice because I just didn't get any chances to play, but I really wanted to play Melee a lot, so I still did just as good as I normally did. It's interesting how one's eagerness to play seems to directly correlate with how well one ends up playing.

Anyway, screw being out of practice. I'll go to a smashfest or something when I figure out when to go to and how to get to one.

no thoughts about my new bowser tech, gamma?
If your tech is what I think it is (jumping through a platform and immediately grounded up-B'ing on it without actually landing on it first), I seem to vaguely recall watching a vid once in which a Bowser main did it. Can't recall who the Bowser main was, though.

It's neat and unexpected, but risky and really hard to do consistently. I would say that it's worth it just for your opponent's reaction when you hit him with it the first one or two or five times, though. :p

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
The not playing because you haven't played cycle lasts forever, and means you'll never get good. Also, over the summer, most of my practice was on an HD tv, and it didn't hurt me too bad.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
The not playing because you haven't played cycle lasts forever, and means you'll never get good. Also, over the summer, most of my practice was on an HD tv, and it didn't hurt me too bad.
Anyway, screw being out of practice. I'll go to a smashfest or something when I figure out when to go to and how to get to one.
Be happy, darn it. :glare:

I was waiting for a chance to play one of my friends in particular at Melee, which I figure would have happened eventually somehow. This would have ended the endless cycle of not playing because I haven't played. But then there's no telling how long I would have had to wait before this would have happened. So screw waiting. It probably wouldn't have even made a difference anyway.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
http://www.facebook.com/events/302354366530740/

A tourney coming up soon, should have decent attendance. There is a 5$ entry on the tourney, and a 5$ venue. . . but if you don't enter in anything, you should be fine to just play with people. There are also probably going to be lots of smashfests, but this one is as a venue, so you'll probably be most comfortable there.

I originally misunderstood you saying that you might look into one. . . If you can't make it to that, it is a monthly, so there should be plenty more in the future.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i've done the jump up grounded up b before, it's alright.

i've also been working on something that i find exciting, and that's shield drop aerial up b when somebody hits you with an air attack while you're standing on a platform - it's a work in progress

point is

i'd rather do over 30%

than do 14%

(at least at percents where it won't kill)

also

what i mean when i think it's stupid that people say 'DONT FOGET MINDGAMES' is that you're basically saying

"DON'T FORGET TO OUT PLAY YOUR OPPONENT AND BE BETTER THAN THE OTHER DUDE"

its not helpful advice AT ALL

maybe i'm just being grumpy, but it's the worst.

but shield drop up b

workin on that one

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Over 30%? Really??? :-O
In the air, if every hit connects, (and if I recall correctly,) it does 32% undecayed.

Edit:

what i mean when i think it's stupid that people say 'DONT FOGET MINDGAMES' is that you're basically saying

"DON'T FORGET TO OUT PLAY YOUR OPPONENT AND BE BETTER THAN THE OTHER DUDE"

its not helpful advice AT ALL
Point taken.

Though I would like to point out that I wasn't trying to give advice to anyone. I was stating my apparently stupid opinion.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
So I got to play some Melee for the first time in like, three months, against a friend of mine who was also rather rusty.

Everything went better than expected. My Bowser wasn't nearly as rusty as I had expected, and I did manage to win most of the games I played against this friend of mine. Over the course of about an hour and a half, I lost three games, one each as Bowser (against Pikachu), Marth (against Marth), and Pichu (against Pikachu), and won some 13 games or so as various characters (including Bowser, Ganondorf, Cpt. Falcon, Zelda, Yoshi, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Fox, Falco, Donkey Kong, Ness, and Pikachu. Generalism is fun), and usually by a considerable margin. I know I got several two-stocks, at least one 3-stock, and a JV 4-stock after my friend KO'd me once just so I couldn't say that I four-stocked him and then promptly suicided to end the match without hitting me first. :p

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Eggz lives here and is generally considered to be the best resident player in the state, afaik. As for other players, see the Oregon Ratking PR.

Purpletuce said that Gimpyfish was at a Best Bout tournament in Portland (which I assume is true because he said it in this section and Gimpyfish didn't say otherwise), which I find kind of strange, because according to Gimpy's Smashboards profile, he lives in Edmonds, which is like, a 7-hour round-trip away from downtown Portland (according to Mapquest).

How are Smash players always so ridiculously mobile? :confused:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Well, I'm taking a 10 hour bus trip this coming weekend to Atlanta so I can get some Apex practice in.

Traveling in the USA is ridiculous cheap. It also helps to have hundreds upon hundreds of connected highways in your country. Are you really surprised how easy it is to be mobile? :b

Speaking of which, how many Bowsers will be at Apex? I know I will be there! :bee:

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
My main problems with mobility are that I only have a driver's permit (which I only needed for photo ID for the SAT) and I'm still in high school (Senior year) and am thus a "dependent child". I also spend my money really conservatively because I am unemployed and don't have any kind of regular income.

I suppose I could try to get my parents to drive me to stuff, but that strikes me as lame.

Edit: I suppose "dependent youth" would be the more correct term, seeing as how I'm technically an adult.

Top Bottom