• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Bowser Social Thread

mtgfish

Smash Rookie
Up B is definitely one of Bowser's stronger tools, but I think the "Up B more" advice is from a time when everyone liked to attack Bowser's shield. Also it's pretty useless against shield pressure from Fox and Falco if they do it perfectly (it's either impossible or just pretty hard to punish, I'm not sure about the frame data tbh).
Of course, if you're already shielding and the opponent is within range (and they don't have perfect shield pressure), Up B is your best option. It's more important to be able to space better so you don't need to shield, and then you can go for stuff like Fair or forward B.

When you're playing against Falcon, don't get grabbed lol.

Bowser's jump is horribly slow and you need to press L/R much later than if you were wavedashing with someone else. Remember that you can't air dodge before you are actually airborne (this goes for all characters).
seikend said:
Jonas explains UpB's purpose well. I'd also watch either WarriorKnight's or DJNintendo's Bowsers to see when to use it.

It'll kill early on floaty characters (Jigglypuff, Peach etc.) but not on fastfallers (Fox, Captain Falcon) etc.

And yeah, Bowser's wavedash timing is dumb. It's like a sixth of a second gap between when you jump and airdodge. Kinda hard to explain the timing in text lol. So sloooow though.
Thanks for the advice both of you. I watched some of those vids, and my Boozer game is getting much better. Fortress is a life saver, esp since it can be used from shield. The wavedashing is weird, I'm kinda getting it though, it's just gonna take some practice. Boozer is so much fun to use.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Watch me and WarriorKnight's double Bowser team videos so you can get the idea of how to use Bowser in teams if you plan on using him in teams. It'll help you with other stuff too. Besides, the vids are pretty funny. Especially the infinite chain grab we did on a poor Mario lol.

mtgfish

Smash Rookie
Watch me and WarriorKnight's double Bowser team videos so you can get the idea of how to use Bowser in teams if you plan on using him in teams. It'll help you with other stuff too. Besides, the vids are pretty funny. Especially the infinite chain grab we did on a poor Mario lol.
Do you have a link to the video, or a general direction? I've scoured the large threads in this forum and i couldn't find such videos. I'm clueless how to play Boozer in teams, me and my friend get pretty wrecked, so I'm really intrigued.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Do you have a link to the video, or a general direction? I've scoured the large threads in this forum and i couldn't find such videos. I'm clueless how to play Boozer in teams, me and my friend get pretty wrecked, so I'm really intrigued.
Here's one of them. You can find the rest of the double Bowser team matches and singles matches of my Bowser on my doubles and singles playlists on my YouTube page. Just click my sig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrKR4ouWUbM

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
yo have any new bowser discoveries happened since Brawl came out?

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Time to change that!
Anyway, does bowser's up throw lead into anything? I can't get it on floaties or fast fallers, they can just DI away and jump.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Time to change that!
Anyway, does bowser's up throw lead into anything? I can't get it on floaties or fast fallers, they can just DI away and jump.
Yes it does. You can chaingrab Fox, Falco, and Falcon no matter how far they DI. You just gotta time your run perfectly and do Bowser's regular running grab, not his jump cancel grab. His regular running grab has more reach. Doing his up-throw on floaties and others characters leads into setups. For example, you up-throw a character and they jump so you read their jump and capitalize with an attack like fair or uair.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Oh, right. Cool.

How do you finish them off?

:phone:
It depends on their percent and if they end up DI'ing all the way above you, which is most likely to happen if you continuously chaingrab them. So when that happens, on spacies and Falcon you just utilt right after they DI above you from the up throw. If they have enough percent, they'll die. Bowser's utilt is stronger than his up smash. If they don't die from the utilt and you just did it to get more damage in, they're always gonna jump after they get hit by it. So then you proceed to read their jump by double jumping and hitting them with an uair or fair depending on their percent and your location of the stage.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
It is for me! So does koopa klaw>bite>release>up B work then?
Same thing for uptilt since it starts hitting at 7th frame? If that works, it's a good killer for floaties.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
About week ago, I played two of my friends on Mushroom Kingdom II. It was a three person free-for-all, which I hate, but I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to play Melee with other people. The one friend was Marth and I think the other was Shiek, IIRC. I was Bowser, as you could probaly guess just by the thread this post is in.

And I lost. By a long shot. I was almost certain that I was a better player than they were (and I'm still quite convinced), so I challenged them to individual rematches on the same stage as the same characters. I four-stocked them both.

Bowser is WAY too easy to double-team... :glare:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
It is for me! So does koopa klaw>bite>release>up B work then?
Same thing for uptilt since it starts hitting at 7th frame? If that works, it's a good killer for floaties.
I don't think it does. The chain grab release is dependent on the far range of Bowser's dash grab, and even then, everything must be timed perfectly. If you pull it off, the opponent kinda 'teleports' into Bowser's arms. He is simply too far away to be hit with utilt or upB in time.

About week ago, I played two of my friends on Mushroom Kingdom II. It was a three person free-for-all, which I hate, but I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to play Melee with other people. The one friend was Marth and I think the other was Shiek, IIRC. I was Bowser, as you could probaly guess just by the thread this post is in.

And I lost. By a long shot. I was almost certain that I was a better player than they were (and I'm still quite convinced), so I challenged them to individual rematches on the same stage as the same characters. I four-stocked them both.

Bowser is WAY too easy to double-team... :glare:
Well, you shouldn't really be having competitive three-for-alls.....on Mushroom Kingdom II... :facepalm:

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Well, you shouldn't really be having competitive three-for-alls.....on Mushroom Kingdom II... :facepalm:
I don't really have a choice other than not to play at all, so the 3-person free-for-all thing can't really be helped.

As for the stage, you are correct; I definitely could have picked a better one...

...But throwing Birdo eggs at people is so much fun... :(

...Not to mention KO'ing Birdo itself...

Edit: Thank you for nothing, glaring lack of quick edit.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I'm guessing they just quit the Jungle Japes game because the stage wasn't legal in that tournament.

Smart cp by Gimpy though, lol.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Thank you for nothing, glaring lack of quick edit.
Not sure what this means...
In certain forums, if one makes a post and then edits it within a certain time frame after it has been posted, usually within a minute or so, it will not say that it has been edited. This forum doesn't allow that, which irks me. :glare:

I knew he was getting back into Melee, but I had no idea he was already playing as Bowser again. :surprised:

Edit: Much less back on the tournament scene...

I am pleasantly surprised.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or is wavedashing on the UFO in Fourside way too much fun? I always feel the obsessive compulsive need to mess around on it whenever it appears.

What's even more fun is 'sweeping' the UFO by tapping downwards on the C-stick after wavedashing. It's the most satisfying thing ever when it catches someone and KO's them off the top. :grin:

And yes, I realize that Fourside is banned in most tournaments.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
too lazy to quote

but yeah i was at that last tourney gimpy was at. To clarify, toph agreed to the jungle japes pick (since by rules if both players agree to a stage they can play there). But gimpy did the honorable thing and just didnt count the japes match cuz it was kinda greeze lol.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
it was second round in winners, and toph was really stressed over it. I guess you had to have been there, idk. We're all homies in washington ~ :p

Top Bottom