• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah GG's, hope to get better soon. Felt like I was getting progress done although it wasn't much.
I wish we could share replays so I could point out what you should do on most situations and which bad habits to avoid.
Tomorrow on Skype I'll give you some more detail about our matches.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If you have spare money, I think you should. I'd definitely play more then.
I'd play this game more than I do now, but every time I do a lobby, it's mostly Rutger and sometimes Livewire.
I probably will. Mainly because the next time we play you're going to notice a significant difference from last time. I'm not autopilot anymore.

Except I've really taken a liking to rapid cancelling Hell's Fang into 6C for combo extensions. lol

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
GGs jdietz.

sorry, I didn't want to answer your question on XBL because I hate typing on there. :U

You're getting better. :bee:
There are a few obvious habit you should work on, like mashing so much on wake up.
a couple games I won by just doing a simple combo into knockdown and a frame trap on wakeup over and over because you fell for it almost every time.

the 2a>2c thing i was spamming with noel was trying to get you to stop trying to mash out. :p

Your pressure is still getting better, though it can be a bit choreographed at times but pressuring is one of the harder parts to learning platinum imo, so that'll take some time.

Your grabs are still rage inducing. D:

Also I spent this entire night trying to bait bursts and the only time i successfully did it i tried to punish with astral and it missed. :mad079: so mad.

If we can play again sometime next week I can spend some time pointing out more things you could work on, but i'm too tired for that right now. :c

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yep! GGs Kuraudo and Spelt.

Fun Fact: That's the first time I've ever got an astral off on anyone in match... ever. (because Litchi and Bang = never astral ever)

I'm not really sure what to do on wakeup if I can't punish (like the 2a>2c thing)... I guess just jump away? Usually I just try to 5a but that doesn't always work. Like, I don't really get how I'm supposed to be NOT re-hit by it if I stop blocking... is there a really derpy obvious solution I'm missing like backdash?

Oh: and I still need major tips on what to do for overheads. Nearly every time I tried 236c>j.b I just got jabbed out of it before the j.b startup.

(and I hope grabs being rage inducing in a good way??)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You should pretty much always block on wakeup.

Then wait for something unsafe to punish or a gap in pressure to retaliate or reset to neutral.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, lythium ninjaing me with her super simple explanation that's much better than mine.

Listen to her. :079:

Well, you're not really supposed to punish. That's why it's considered a disadvantaged position. The best decision is usually just to block.

If the opponent is being fancy and just spamming overheads or something then you can get away with jabbing them out, but I rarely got to do anything like that because you always just tried to jab immediately so I just went with the simple 2a/5a spam oki which stuffs mashing on wakeup pretty easily, lol.

Things like DPs, backdashes, rolls, etc can work occasionally as well but if you get too reliant on them people will see them coming and hit you out of them. Rolling out of the corner is especially risky because people will be looking for it.

You were waiting quite awhile in the swallow moon before you did an attack out of it, and usually I could react to it and try to jab you out. It's just something that comes with practice, I guess. You can hold up for a bit which makes her float higher and then try to attack, which would make it come out faster than just waiting there. You can do j.a immediately after a TK swallow moon and it'll come out regardless of your height.

Also, when you get an item, you usually just use it over and over until it's gone. Like when you had cats, I could just sit there and block until you ran out (I tried to barrier cancel dash between them and I ended up getting hit out of it most of the time because i keep forgetting that doesn't work as well online). Same thing with the hammers, which is a worse idea because it's like -9 on shield plus the startup of the next hammer. That's plenty of time for me to attack you out of. :(

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I did the hammer thing because I was literally just learning that very second that they buffed it to take away two primers and was experimenting. I assumed it was hella unsafe but didn't care :p

(and I think they buffed it's hit on shield not to be so negative?)

Then I guess I'm just flubbing the swallow moon height timing... I'll have to work on it more

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, Spelt. <3

Your explanation was really good, and more specific. Plus, advice on how to do things better. Since I haven't played against Jdietz, I can't really go into more detail. :3

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Someday I'll get a full handle on my spazzness... someday. And then the world will BEHOLD MY TRUUUUE FOOOOOORM AND DESPAAAAAAAAIR!!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm not really sure what to do on wakeup if I can't punish (like the 2a>2c thing)... I guess just jump away? Usually I just try to 5a but that doesn't always work. Like, I don't really get how I'm supposed to be NOT re-hit by it if I stop blocking... is there a really derpy obvious solution I'm missing like backdash?

Oh: and I still need major tips on what to do for overheads. Nearly every time I tried 236c>j.b I just got jabbed out of it before the j.b startup.
I don't know which 2A>2C you're talking about. If it leaves them at plus frames, you have to block, if it leaves them slightly negative and you're within range, you might be able to start a block string. If they keep doing the same block string, just instant block and punish if you can.

As for swallow moon overhead mixups, don't do it too much, especially if the opponent has a good reversal. And don't do it at all unless it's after a knock down. I usually do it after an oki bubble. The j.B should be a meaty, if not, you'll get hit out of it. If they start getting wise to the overhead, do swallow moon earlier, then do j.C which makes you land without attacking and then go for a 2B.
I did the hammer thing because I was literally just learning that very second that they buffed it to take away two primers and was experimenting. I assumed it was hella unsafe but didn't care :p
Hammer always took away two primers. For primer breaking, I'll only use hammers when they've already bursted in that match.
Or if they're low on life and I have tons of Heat to spare.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't know which 2A>2C you're talking about. If it leaves them at plus frames, you have to block, if it leaves them slightly negative and you're within range, you might be able to start a block string. If they keep doing the same block string, just instant block and punish if you can.

As for swallow moon overhead mixups, don't do it too much, especially if the opponent has a good reversal. And don't do it at all unless it's after a knock down. I usually do it after an oki bubble. The j.B should be a meaty, if not, you'll get hit out of it. If they start getting wise to the overhead, do swallow moon earlier, then do j.C which makes you land without attacking and then go for a 2B.

Hammer always took away two primers. For primer breaking, I'll only use hammers when they've already bursted in that match.
Or if they're low on life and I have tons of Heat to spare.

Or of course, when you get bored of owning people with bubbles. :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
In that case what do you use to overhead in a normal blockstring?
I usually find openings outside of frame traps since I'm not good with those as well as some people. Generally do 5A pressure to 6B if you want to open them up with an overhead. If you have the frying pan, JCing 5C into frying pan is pretty good. If you see them starting to block standing on your pressure, then that means they're just guessing and you can sneak in a low. I suggest doing 5C into swallow moon only if your opponent gets really defensive and doesn't mash. So I guess me saying never to do it, was wrong.
Or of course, when you get bored of owning people with bubbles. :bee:
Well, unless it's an oki, you can feel free to pop them, haha.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I usually find openings outside of frame traps since I'm not good with those as well as some people. Generally do 5A pressure to 6B if you want to open them up with an overhead. If you have the frying pan, JCing 5C into frying pan is pretty good. If you see them starting to block standing on your pressure, then that means they're just guessing and you can sneak in a low. I suggest doing 5C into swallow moon only if your opponent gets really defensive and doesn't mash. So I guess me saying never to do it, was wrong.

Well, unless it's an oki, you can feel free to pop them, haha.

I assure you, of all the things I pop, bubbles aren't among them. :cool:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

(and I think they buffed it's hit on shield not to be so negative?)

Then I guess I'm just flubbing the swallow moon height timing... I'll have to work on it more
Like Minato said, they always took 2 primers. :p

And yeah, like I said, it'll probably take some practice to get used to.

Also, you can combo off of CH cat. The combo I usually do is dash 5c > 6a > j.b j.c > j.b j.c > pogo.

I think you can also do just 5c > (6a) > 236b if you want corner carry.

Haha, Spelt. <3

Your explanation was really good, and more specific. Plus, advice on how to do things better. Since I haven't played against Jdietz, I can't really go into more detail. :3
Well, thanks! :bee: I tried to cover as many possibilities as I could.

I forgot to talk about once you've started blocking how to get out of pressure though, lol.

Hey Spelt, who are you mainly using in BB now? Mu?
I'm just kinda experimenting with everyone right now.
Rachel and Hazama are the only characters I've played on ranked so far.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I forgot to talk about once you've started blocking how to get out of pressure though, lol.
Well that's mostly what I'm asking. The reason I usually mashed on wakeup or tried too hard to 5a was because I don't know what else to be doing. Otherwise it's just me eating shield pressure for days until I get combo'd.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well that's mostly what I'm asking. The reason I usually mashed on wakeup or tried too hard to 5a was because I don't know what else to be doing. Otherwise it's just me eating shield pressure for days until I get combo'd.
Platinum's wake up options aren't too great, and a smart opponent can bait out the Bat since they'll be aware of it.
So yeah, all you can do is just block. If you mash, you'll never learn how to deal with pressure on wakeup. Sometimes in matches, I'll purposely just block for a long time, even if I know I can get out after a poor block string just to get better at blocking or seeing what they like doing.

Doing Barrier too much is a bad habit, and it also lengthens your time in block stun and you'll have an even worse time getting out.
Things I usually do is Barrier during their jabs to push them away and then switch to regular block or IB. Or just IB during the jabs to build meter if I'm confident so I can Counter Assault later.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This has also been covered a few times previously in the thread.

Like Lythium and Minato said a few posts ago, you have to look for an opening.

To put it simply, learning how to block is a fundamental part of fighting games, just as much as attacking.

The best players have the best defense imo. Theoretically, if someone has perfect defense it would be impossible to hit them. :p

Plus, it feels so good blocking a hard mixup.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, so nothing magical. Just what I was attempting to do but do it better.

I'll just keep working at it.

EDIT: I know that sounded stupid, but you literally never know when someone has an obvious solution you never thought of. Or a game mechanic you weren't aware of (like hammers taking primers).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
This has also been covered a few times previously in the thread.

Like Lythium and Minato said a few posts ago, you have to look for an opening.

To put it simply, learning how to block is a fundamental part of fighting games, just as much as attacking.

The best players have the best defense imo. Theoretically, if someone has perfect defense it would be impossible to hit them. :p

Plus, it feels so good blocking a hard mixup.

What is this nonsense? I'll have none of this rubbish.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Blocking is key in BB. Kind of annoying to be honest how easy it is to just block absolutely everything.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah sometimes it can feel obnoxious when someone is really good at blocking everything you do. But just think about how awful the game would be/feel if you couldn't block anything very well. *coughArakunebugcomboscough*

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, like everyone else has been saying, blocking is just something you have to learn. It gets overlooked a lot, but it's one of the most important things you'll learn how to do. If you have a good defense, your game will be much more solid overall. And especially if you're playing a character like Platinum, who has no defensive options without meter or bat.

Do you play against certain characters more often than others? I recommend looking at their frame data, and figure out what moves are unsafe and their revolver action. Once you know what moves go into overheads or what you can punish, that makes it easier to open your opponent up. Or if you play a character with a DP or a fast jab, figure out the gaps in their pressure. For example, I play against a Jin player a lot. If I IB his 5B, he has to go into heavier normals to try to keep himself safe and keep up pressure. Then I can use barrier if I want to push him even further out. Or if I'm blocking against a Ragna, I obviously can't punish Dead Spike, but I can hit him out of it's start-up.

Nothing is scarier than someone who blocks everything that you do!

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's my new goal to be an iron wall when it comes to defense.

(picks hardest part of gameplay to master: goes for it)

EDIT: inb4fail

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Play tager to learn to block?

That'd be true if you were playing offline and against good players probably (that know the match up and/or can zone). Netplay against generic people = 360 all day. Don't even give a crap about your pressure \o/. The difficulty for tager isn't blocking, it's getting in. It's only at higher levels when the players know exactly what to do against tager that it gets hard to block (and even harder to get in).

Characters with weak defenses and no good escape routes would be a good choice to start. Carl, Arakune, Tao, Rachel (with no wind), or Relius. It really is, literally, respect everything when you have nothing that can get you out of pressure easily.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Play tager to learn to block?

That'd be true if you were playing offline and against good players probably (that know the match up and/or can zone). Netplay against generic people = 360 all day. Don't even give a crap about your pressure \o/. The difficulty for tager isn't blocking, it's getting in. It's only at higher levels when the players know exactly what to do against tager that it gets hard to block (and even harder to get in).
LOL So true. So many bad Tagers mash 360s or 720s during pressure and wakeup. Then they get lucky where part of the input grants them a Instant Block. Generally, flow chart Tagers will air tech > elbow, use a badly spaced Sledge, and Spark Bolt as soon as they get meter. On wake up, back dash if they have no meter, mash super if they do.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Relius' escape DP isn't that reliable. It's definitely not as good as an actual DP like Ragna's, Makoto's, Noel's 2D/4D, etc. It's like a hard read that they'll do a strong attack and they whiff on your dodge. His more reliable reversal is gears but that costs meter so you can't always use that.

I've always though that Tao had no escape options other than when she has meter (counter assault or super). What other options does she have?

Top Bottom