• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yo, any of you guys play or have played Plat for any significant period of time? I'm thinking of picking her up, just for fun, and I could use some pointers.

My boyfriend says that I'm doing it mostly right (for day one, I guess), but is there anything I should keep in mind?
You want me lol. What seems to be the problemz

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, I'm not having any problems (yet), but I was just wondering if there were some magical loli tips that anyone had for picking her up. :3

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mmk lol. Well since Minato threw the basics at you I'll give you really random advice lol:

The 10 weirdly specific things I wish someone had told me when I started playing Plat are:

1. You don't have an overhead if you don't have a frying pan and don't know how to TK Swallow Moon yet, so get on that ASAP (2369C >j.B), (though 6B isn't QUITE as bad as it used to be... still bad)

2. If you space out and forget that 2A has to gatling into 2B before 5B to do your BnBs you're in trouble

3. Everyone is going to tell you bubbles bubbles bubbles because it's what they see, but what you really want is items bubbles items

4. No one ever correctly techs 'cat-stick' and always emergency neutral techs... meaning you can hit them again right away with it by just hitting D again (it'll be obvious once you start playing against people but it's too funny to leave out of this list)

5. Plat doesn't really need the heat, so feel free to get aggressive with Mami Circular and rapid. You can also always rapid the midscreen 3C for some corner carry if you choose to and are fleet of finger for a 2C/5C >Mami

6. You can almost always sneak in an item pull from D if you don't have one after 2C, even in combo, and your command grab (which you must never forget you have! *poutyface*) refreshes your item count for what you have out or pulls an item if you have none. (same with Cure Dot Typhoon on hit)

7. 236236D makes missiles and 'cat-stick' win games, and also pulls the second item you have in cue out and is a good way to dodge a bad item for your situation from slowing you down

8. No one sees 214D coming as an anti-air... ever. Do it if you really need that item gone and they airdash (but if it's missiles, bombs, or cat-stick just burn through them for the chip. If they're too close for that they're also too close for 214D)

9. Hammers are only good for massive corner combos and primer breaking, it's the item you'll most hate popping up in your item "next" list, with the exception of pulling it after 2C in corner combo in which case if you have a smooth connection it's the opponent's turn to cry.

10. You can always do combos longer and more damaging than Minatos. Get good at 6C >22C corner combos (even online) and the damage will come to you.

(11. No other win pose makes people rage harder than Plats, if they don't like the loli kawaii desu~... destroy them harder :3)

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, nearly forgot: You can angle your bombs much better now with 6D and 4D, USE IT (it's fantastic, and makes up for the fact she only gets 3 instead of 6 now... especially if you ever run into a Lambda)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
1. You don't have an overhead if you don't have a frying pan and don't know how to TK Swallow Moon yet, so get on that ASAP (2369C >j.B), (though 6B isn't QUITE as bad as it used to be... still bad)
That's why Platinum has fuzzy guard setups and instant overheads with jB...
4. No one ever correctly techs 'cat-stick' and always emergency neutral techs... meaning you can hit them again right away with it by just hitting D again (it'll be obvious once you start playing against people but it's too funny to leave out of this list)
That just means they don't block after teching and mash like every person online.
10. You can always do combos longer and more damaging than Minatos. Get good at 6C >22C corner combos (even online) and the damage will come to you.
I do use 6C 22C combos. I'm just not going to do them on bad connections.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
@Zero (or any Makoto player)

Since I'm too lazy to sift through the massive dustloop Makoto thread, does anyone know what the orb oki setup is now? I can't figure out what it is other than old 6B force wake up -> orb.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Also, I've heard her command throw is kinda bad. True/false?
Bad relative to characters like Bang and Valk that can combo after it. It's alright for surprising the opponent. I don't think refreshing your item count is worth risking a command grab though, and the grab works more often online.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
@Zero (or any Makoto player)

Since I'm too lazy to sift through the massive dustloop Makoto thread, does anyone know what the orb oki setup is now? I can't figure out what it is other than old 6B force wake up -> orb.

I just dash orb after j.D.

The startup on Comet Cannon is such a freaking joke. You can get reversal'd after 6B force tech, that is, if you manage to even hit with the dang thing. It's so effing slow! And, just to add insult to nerfery, if you don't dash before the 6B, the orb will whiff, but good luck hitting with a dash 6B! It's stupidly tight, just like everything else.

But I totally support the 6B -> 214C gimmick!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
GGs, Minato and Rutger.

Minato, your Rachel is still scary. And Rutger, your Relius has definitely gotten better since the last time we played. You respect your opponent too much, I think, if you don't mind me saying so.

And now that I've shown you guys my ****ty Platinum, I will go hide in a corner. ;-;

Bad relative to characters like Bang and Valk that can combo after it. It's alright for surprising the opponent. I don't think refreshing your item count is worth risking a command grab though, and the grab works more often online.
Cool, good to know. Thanks!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
GGs Minato and Lythium.

Felt like I was playing really badly today, I managed to has some good matches but... :urg:

Though I'm liking my new midscreen BnB, close to 3k as long as I already have Ignis out is nice. Minato found out he could just jump out of my unblockable setup, now I need to go learn some new things.

You respect your opponent too much, I think, if you don't mind me saying so.
I have been told this before. I don't really know what to do about it though, I like to feel safe so I don't try to mash out unless it looks good. :/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Don't worry, I don't think I did that well today either. Sorry about the matches as they went on guys, it was one of those days lol.
Regardless, GGs everyone.

And my Platinum needs some work. It's pretty much in the same situation my Rachel was in. lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
This reminds me, I so have to get to working on my Blazblue tonight. I've been on Uncharted 3 enough for a bit, and I already told my friends there I'll be playing Mass Effect 3 for the next month so.....I should be able to scrounge up spare time every day to practice.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's fully worth it when you've got a super item or something you deem highly matchup important with one use left such as missiles against Labmda. Otherwise no it's not a fantastic command grab.

do use 6C 22C combos. I'm just not going to do them on bad connections.
I'm fully aware, but Lythium would not be. I'm letting her know not to take what you do online at face value as maximum Plat potential. (and you meaniez, buzzkilling on my joke entries like cat-stick not teching (something you've been caught in a few times lol))

EDIT: I should also note that hammer is slightly less useless than it was in CS2, but I've yet to play with it enough to properly utilize it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you can land a command grab while there's a bubble floating near them, the damage you can get off it is insane. Definitely 100% worth it at that point imo.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, I've been on the receiving end of it. :p

I actually know more about Platinum than I let on, apparently. It's probably because my boyfriend talked about Platinum non-stop, so I've picked up all this info by osmosis. Also, I played against his Plat a lot.

To the dojo!
After work...

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Guess I'll join this thread as my Ragna needs some serious help. New to this game, but I'm okay at it. Finally learned it's directional input first, button last. This game is a serious transition of a new game that isn't UMVC3 or brawl. Does anyone have any tips vs. U-12 and vs. A-11, because I do not know for the life of me how to deal with that range. Help?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I've been on the receiving end of it. :p

I actually know more about Platinum than I let on, apparently. It's probably because my boyfriend talked about Platinum non-stop, so I've picked up all this info by osmosis. Also, I played against his Plat a lot.

To the dojo!
After work...
Yeah, playing against characters is the best way to find out what's really strong. :079:

Guess I'll join this thread as my Ragna needs some serious help. New to this game, but I'm okay at it. Finally learned it's directional input first, button last. This game is a serious transition of a new game that isn't UMVC3 or brawl. Does anyone have any tips vs. U-12 and vs. A-11, because I do not know for the life of me how to deal with that range. Help?
Patience is key against zoners. Barrier cancelling dashes and superjump > barrier are great ways to get in safely.

Since you're new to the game I'd suggest going into training mode and figuring out your combos, gatlings, pressure strings, etc first. Getting your pressure down will do wonders against zoners once you finally get in on them.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I can help you with the Mu match-up a little.

Ground is the best way to fight and approach Mu. You will not win an air-to-air battle with Mu, don't even try. Avoid being in the air, and play footsies. Mu's 5C is way slower than Ragna's 5B, and it barely outranges his 5C. A lot of Mu's 5C attempts can be stuffed by either of those. Ragna's j.C is pretty decent as a jump-in now, since Mu's anti-airs got nerfed, but do not abuse it too much. When you do get in on her, watch out for her DP, it'll eat all attacks and throws, and toss you to the other side of the screen and reset all of your hard work getting in. Your best bet is to bait it, and punish accordingly. Don't take too many guesses against Mu, her CH damage reward is too high, and she can easily steal momentum from you to set up her oki.

I don't really know too much about Lambda, except that she's much worse up close than Mu, and she has no defensive options other than counter assault and reversal super, so have at her. Against Lambda's swords, super jump forward and block. You will slowly make your way to her.

Basically, both match-ups are all about playing lame, and keeping him out. Remember that you're Ragna, and you have "I got hit by a truck" damage, so they're going to make you work to get in.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Hit by a truck, lol
Alright, I understand now. I'll try that. If you want, VoltStorm7、is my psn.

EDIT
The approach you suggested works, but you really have to watch it when you actually get to her(either one). Why does this game make me feel like when I started Brawl in 2008? X.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hit by a truck, lol
Alright, I understand now. I'll try that. If you want, VoltStorm7、is my psn.

EDIT
The approach you suggested works, but you really have to watch it when you actually get to her(either one). Why does this game make me feel like when I started Brawl in 2008? X.
Everybody has their beginnings. Just keep at it.

Need any more advice on Ragna, feel free to ask myself or the likes of Minato seeing as we're the other ones that play Ragna (though Minato rocks the Rachel mostly now)

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't even worry about the matchups right now if you're that new, just try to get a grasp of the system mechanics and it'll come to you later. (the easiest advice is simply not to freak out against them, being frantic with your buttons will get you where you don't want to be)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Can't Lambda stay out of range of it, though?
Not while threatening Mu in any meaningful way.

Lambda's jumping normals can't challenge Mu's, and if Mu's at a range where Lambda would be using j.Ds, then Mu shouldn't be pressing buttons, and therefore isn't threatened by them.

lilseph

Smash Ace
All good my friend. BTW who here has XBL??? I wouldn't mind getting a few games in.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
There's a list of online tags and stuff in the first post as well.

I can play a few characters efficiently.
There's just someone on DL with your username (so, it's probably you), and I've only seen them posting in the Lambda boards. Or I'm just unobservant. Either way, haha.

edit: Livewire, I'm definitely not an expert, haha. But thanks. :3

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
My tag is Speld.

I can't play right now though, maybe a little later?

Top Bottom