• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Extend Makoto is awesome. IMO much better than CS2. Her combos are actually fun now, and not just 1 move followed by a drive x10 into double super for 8k.

She still does great damage, 4k meterless is more than a lot of characters could ever dream of.

She's a top contender for being one of my subs. Crouching combos are sooooooo stylish and fun.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I think I was pressing j.8D~6 too fast, at least that's what training mode vs Ragna shows.

Starting her BnB vs standing opponents now and it's kind of tricky too imo.

5B -> 5C -> JC -> j.B -> j.2B -> j.C -> 6A (2) -> Air Ender

I need to delay the JC -> j.B slightly or I jump over my opponent.
Hmm, sounds tricky.

But good on you for figuring it out! One of the reasons that I don't like challenge mode is Bang's janky hitbox. I like to practice combos on easy to hit characters like Ragna or Jin, and then transition into weird hitboxes, like Litchi's or Lambda's.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
2a and 5a only gattling 3 times now as a universal change, correct? Ragna can just force you down his other normals. It's not like getting hit with a 2a is that scary anymore either anyway. But yeah I guess you could say her 2a 5a is still better than Ragna's in a strict sense lol.

6A anti-air confirm doesn't go anywhere midscreen. It will either end up in a jD corner send (no real oki) or DP ender (same as Ragna's DP ender). Isn't JCable on block either.

I still miss her dash orb part of the combo and lightning arrow. And technically speaking, CS2 makoto had more variety in her combo than EX makoto (it's pretty much just take out 2C and get 214A~C~B launchers).

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
How is that more variety if you're just taking out one part and swapping it for another? :|

I like 214a~c~b too.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Hmm, sounds tricky.

But good on you for figuring it out! One of the reasons that I don't like challenge mode is Bang's janky hitbox. I like to practice combos on easy to hit characters like Ragna or Jin, and then transition into weird hitboxes, like Litchi's or Lambda's.
Bang's hitbox can be really annoying in Challenge mode.

I also like being able to blue beat my combos while I am trying to learn them.

Challenge mode would be cool if people could create their own challenges and you could try them out imo.

But as it is now it's just a nice little gimmick that gives you something to do. :/

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Variety is using more unique moves in a combo right? CS2 combo includes like all parts of her drive.

EX makoto can't do that lol. What's essentially been swapped out really is the 2C for 214A~C~B and used more sparingly due to repeat proration.

If you call using her entire drive moveset as the same crap, what does that leave her with in terms of variety lol. That's like calling Ragna's blood kain combos all having no variety because his entire combo is the same thing as swapping out drives with another.

Also not sure why "swapping" drives is considered no variety while using them in only a set sequence has variety.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'll agree Bang's hitbox is a bit wonky at times. But my big gripe with Challenge mode is that it doesn't display the entire combo at once for some of the longer ones so if you want the whole thing to practice prior, or whatever, you have to actually write it down.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I consider her drives move the same because they all feel and look really similar, which Ragna's don't. They're all heavy charge punches in different directions. Same thing applies with Hazama, but Hazama's combos don't use mostly drive moves, which I think is the correct way to go about it. Drives are less than 1/4 of someones moveset, after all.

Also level 1 2d being useful now is new. So far it's the only way I've seen people set up orb oki too. Makoto's combos are just more dependent on the hit type and location, and she has multiple routes she can take too (aka corner carry vs oki) which makes her much more dynamic and fun to play as.

Sion

Island of Horizon
tsubaki's 5b nerf was definitely a bit strange, but at least 5c got a little buff. i'm also going to miss doing 623c j214a(w) 2cc. hitting the 2cc is so satisfying for some reason

as much as i like new stuff, new revisions of blazblue each year is a bit taxing

Sion

Island of Horizon
yeah, 8 frame 5c compared to 10 frame 5b

also when you charge cancel 5b and 5c, they end up with the same frame advantage of -2

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Damage vs Oki route's always been there. It's just that people would always choose oki setup over damage setup since the orb is so good and if we wanted damage, we'd just end in supers. Technically, that goes for every character. All changes in route are essentially "do I want to cut my combo early or do a bit more damage"

Optimally as well, no one would ever do a damage variant if it forgoes oki opportunities unless the damage variant gives a significant amount of damage more than oki.

Also: clearly, hazama's combo has a ton of variety. Do that TK flip kick 5 more times please. You also realize that you're calling variety based on "it looks the same to me." That's a great subjective view you have there while I'm gauging variety objectively based on the number of unique moves she uses. So if we disagree here, it's cause we view the definition "variety" different.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's always been there but not as much as it is now.

Where did I say Hazama's combos had variety? I said that he doesn't use drive moves for a large portion of his combos.

And yeah, my opinions about a character's qualities are subjective, I didn't need you to tell me this.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Makoto has no oki to speak of. That Comet Cannon is a joke. Years of startup and, I swear, is unsafe on block. And even if you do get a knock down right next to you, what are you going to do? Jab nerf is ********, 6B is approximately 5000 frames, j.2C is terrible, and every single follow-up for Asteroid Vision is braindead easy to counter.

She's not interesting to look at because of variety. She's interesting to look at because everyone likes to see her squirm for her junk in CS2.

Also, Makoto's 2D(lvl 1) was very useful in CS2.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
She's interesting to look at because everyone likes to see her squirm for her junk in CS2.
If that's really the only reason you play her you should play a different character. :urg:

If goro uses orb oki it must be at least somewhat good.

& I never saw anyone use it in CS2. I practiced some combos using it and they all did below average damage. Her regular combos were always the optimal choice. But idk, maybe I'm wrong? I didn't really pay much attention to her into later into the game's lifespan. I definitely wouldn't use it unless I was trying to be fancy, though.

Also why are you using orb on someone's guard? :054: Unless you mean they can tech, block it, and still have advantage, which I doubt. And like previously mentioned, the 5a/2a nerf is universal. Makoto is one of the few characters it kind of affected though, I'll give you that.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
jB CH optimal combo has 2D(1). This is the highest damage starter combo Makoto has.

214A~C~B rapid confirm has 2D(1).

6A CH anti-air confirm has 2D(1).

It's just not used often because of how hard it is to confirm into it, but if you do, the combo does big damage.

Orb oki route out of 2a / 5b starter forgoes 214A~D 5CC jB DP ender for damage.

@Lyth: I think he meant is Makoto as bad as CS1 Noel.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are those combos used in CS2, or Extend?

I already know it's useful in Extend.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
When I was talking about the orb, I meant oki. Using the orb conservatively in blockstrings was okay in CS1 and 2, but doing it in a blockstring here is like taking a gun to your head. The oki isn't suicide, but it's still bad.

And I never said why she's interesting to look at for me. I said it for all the other people who say, "She's interesting to look at now!" I think Makoto is a great character with a heartfelt story who also happens to satisfy my jollies.

Edit: Glad I didn't have to give a more rage-induced post of the situations Crusayer listed.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Even if it did give a good oki, Makoto's mix-ups are practically non-existent now. :(

Also, I suppose now is the time to give this little disclaimer. If I sound like a rager, it's because I am a rager, but don't think my rage is directed at you!

Crusayer

Smash Lord
You see it used more often because everyone and their mothers would want to chain 2D(1) into 2D(3) in CS2. And that's actually really hard since you have to properly gauge the height for the 2D(1) delay, 5CC delay, and the 2D(3) distance (which goes into corner carry!).

In CSX, you just do 2D(1) and pick up for the easy confirm into jD or DP ender instead (which is laughable in comparison to the damage). It's also used more often because 214A~C~B lets you do that (which is essentially the rapid combo I posted up there). There were no other setups in CS2 that have 2D(1) other than what I posted while it's included in a BnB now in CSX.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
She came out too late in CS1 to judge imo.
Didn't Makoto come out about a month after CS1 console release anyways? And Valk about two?

Certainly they may not have had any specific spot on the tier list but people should have had a good idea where they could be by the end.

Top Bottom