• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Kail

Smash Lord
Luigi is exactly the same minus wave dashing... (Pretty much). So if you know how to play him at all in Melee chances are you can play him right in Brawl.

Kail

Smash Lord
You mean his dash attack? That doesn't work in melee....
I don't know much about Luigi in brawl but I play him like it was Melee which is pretty much aerial only, so I think it really depends on play style.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Coo coo guys, btw, is there like a 5 second summary of DI in this game, I keep getting stupid'd by pikachus smashes and various other grabs and I usually try to smashDI out of them but it seems random sometimes, should I hold a direction instead. I ask this cuz sir roller says DI is way diff in brawl.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
condemned you know i go to school an hour and a half away from where you guys have smashfests right? the only time i can come is when im not in school and quite frankly i dont want to fill that time playing melee anymore.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yes everyone, we have finally fixed DI. For those of you who didn't know, Brawl DI had many flaws which do not fit well in a combo-oriented engine:
  • You could not DI any attack that did not send your character into the tumble state. This resulted in the numerous un-DIable chaingrabs and certain locks in Brawl
  • Control stick inputs for each axis max out 100% before reaching the edges of the controller, which allowed diagonal inputs to exceed the normal max distance of 1.00 found on the four cardinal directions. Since trajectory DI is based directly on the distance the stick is held perpendicularly to the default trajectory (18 degrees multiplied by that distance) this potential for a greater than 1 multiplier made unusually powerful DI possible on diagonal sending attacks with a change of up to 24 degrees, compared to the normal change of up to 18 on cardinal launching attacks
  • You could not DI attacks that were between -18 and +18 degrees from horizontal
  • You could not use ASDI, or Automatic Smash DI, downwards on a hit where you originated from the ground

Aceplayer

Smash Journeyman
Also Roki, for actual DI that isn't confusing.

In Brawl you continually smack the c stick and control stick perpendicular where as in melee you just hold. In Brawl once you break your hitstun (fastest aerial OR airdodge if you are like super slow haha) then you continue to di until you have stopped completely, only then do you start moving back towards the stage.

A large difference between melee and brawl is that the hitstun breaks much sooner but in melee you usually stop moving the second hitstun breaks where as in brawl you continue moving so you need to continue with your di.

Again, Continue to hit the sticks perpendicular again and again until you have stopped moving, do this after the hitstun is canceled. Before the hitstun you can DI like melee and be ok.

DI in brawl is generally much easier to Sakarui Angles, which is a default angle on many moves that already like to send you very diagonally. It's sort of Auto DI.

Basically, DI in Melee is way easier haha.
(OMG BRAWL TAKES MORE SKILL?!?!??!!??!!?!! :troll:)

-Thanks.

Kail

Smash Lord
You don't hold it in Melee... You need (should)to quarter circle DI. The only thing you can hold to DI are throws with the exception of Puff's forward throw.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
According to Jungle's snip, the only real differences between Brawl DI and Melee DI are:

- Tapping the C-Stick in Brawl lets you SDI, while the C-Stick in Melee will only ever give you ASDI
- You can't SDI or ASDI downward if you were hit by an attack while grounded (basically crouch canceling doesn't exist)
- You can't DI weak attacks that don't send you into tumble
- DIing diagonally affects the knockback way more than it should

A large difference between melee and brawl is that the hitstun breaks much sooner but in melee you usually stop moving the second hitstun breaks where as in brawl you continue moving so you need to continue with your di.
That's called drifting, not DI. DI only refers to altering your trajectory as you get hit. I don't think you can actually "break" hitstun in Melee - you can get out of tumble once hitstun is gone, but you certainly couldn't outright interrupt hitstun like you can on frame 13 with an air-dodge or frame 25 with an aerial normal in Brawl.

In Brawl you continually smack the c stick and control stick perpendicular where as in melee you just hold.
This... isn't quite right. You're basically telling him to repeatedly attempt to SDI (even after the hit, when it wouldn't actually matter) perpendicularly.

Again, Continue to hit the sticks perpendicular again and again until you have stopped moving, do this after the hitstun is canceled. Before the hitstun you can DI like melee and be ok.
I'm really confused by what you're trying to say here. Like, this doesn't even do anything useful. When you're launched, you can interrupt hitstun with an air-dodge or aerial. Using an aerial has the added benefit of letting you start a fast-fall during the aerial, which helps for survival of vertical launches. Using a mid-air jump or certain moves while still in "unfriendly" knockback will basically convert horizontal knockback to vertical knockback, which can be helpful but will also end up making you die off the top rather than barely live from the side more often than not. There are also certain attacks that can strictly reduce knockback, like Pikachu's Skull Bash, or outright deny knockback, like G&W's Bucket.

Aceplayer

Smash Journeyman
Well ok, you don't have to hit the c stick but I do out of habit.

Otherwise it seems like we agree.

And yah quarter circle in melee but that only works once your at the very end doing survival DI, Kail. I meant initiallly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And yah quarter circle in melee but that only works once your at the very end doing survival DI, Kail. I meant initiallly.
Um, what? Quarter circle DI is an application of SDI, which applies to any point in the game where you're getting hit by something that isn't a throw.

We don't agree at all. You're advising to repeatedly tap the control stick even when you've already been sent flying, which pretty much does nothing useful.

Kail

Smash Lord
Yeah what Tony said. I quarter circle DI every hit... Unless I get caught off guard. It isn't just for survival DI, Quarter Circle can actually get you out of Ken Combos, The Wheel of Fortune, or Pillaring. It's a great habit to have.

Kail

Smash Lord
Forward makes a lot of good posts. Especially a lot from around that time. His "Attack with your Shield" thread really changes how many people played this game.

Top Bottom