• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
Sorry you had to play 9 straight Foxes, Andrew. Character selection is near the bottom of my list when it comes to seeding pools/making brackets.

I agree, we need more MSU smashfests. It's a shame that the most central location for Melee is also the most apathetic. Get your **** together, play more, and host more, guys.
:(, if this wasn't my last year here I would def try to host some more. It's getting harder to find time to play these days. Also, I don't think there are places here like Mason in AA where you can always find a room.

Also the likelihood of one of our own showing up to a smashfest is so slim, that hosting regular ones just isn't worth it (unless people from AA and GR also show up). Just like the last "big" MSU smashfest, bloodyjoker was the one hosting it, everyone of us showed up, but halfway into the night, it was only toadster and I left.

Regulars here would be me, bloodyjoker, and maybe toadster. It's so hard to get a hold of jungle, and tremor just sometimes doesn't wanna play. I dunno about shady, seems like he's busy most of the time.

So yeah, that's my 2 cents on that situation. Someone should try and step it up here...but I doubt that's gonna happen unfortunately.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Derek I approve of your title because it SO true ;~;
LOL its been a recurring theme in almost all of my matches.

Sometimes they give modship to people who don't play the character or haven't been on smashboards for 8 months.

Also saying you want to be a mod of something infinitely hurts your chances of modding it. :S
Im over it to be honest though I never told the mods I wanted to mod anyway. The D3 boards dont really need a mod because well...its a graveyard lol.

Ive got other things on my plate.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
:(, if this wasn't my last year here I would def try to host some more. It's getting harder to find time to play these days. Also, I don't think there are places here like Mason in AA where you can always find a room.

Also the likelihood of one of our own showing up to a smashfest is so slim, that hosting regular ones just isn't worth it (unless people from AA and GR also show up). Just like the last "big" MSU smashfest, bloodyjoker was the one hosting it, everyone of us showed up, but halfway into the night, it was only toadster and I left.

Regulars here would be me, bloodyjoker, and maybe toadster. It's so hard to get a hold of jungle, and tremor just sometimes doesn't wanna play. I dunno about shady, seems like he's busy most of the time.

So yeah, that's my 2 cents on that situation. Someone should try and step it up here...but I doubt that's gonna happen unfortunately.
Differences between our Melee communities afaict...

1. UM has an almost universal drive to get better at the game... MSU has the talent but seemingly not the passion
2. UM has awesome Smashfest resources (Duderstadt game room, Mason Hall)... MSU players are too far away from each other on campus
3. UM constantly builds momentum for events with new players... MSU keeps losing players due to "retirement" >_>

Step it up MSU!

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I don't care about smash.
Nor does MSU.

So I'll host a smashfest soon. Requirements are that people bring at least 2 TV's. The only thing I care about is not waiting forever to play.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Here in West MI we got Me and Robjoe who even have a chance at tournaments. The locals who're here like HellFyre and Septrion don't have the skill yet to really pull any real victories, and the ones I feel like have the most potential are ridiculously hard to get in contact with.

Still though, between become President of my colleges Gamer's club and the fact I'm here for awhile, I think I can get something solid going over the next year.

I just wish someone existed within 30 minutes of here who has the skill to beat me. I mean, I know you guys are better than me, so... yeah, all I can do is get the locals egos up over the next couple months and host a tournament where you guys can take their money. But that'll be next October at the earliest.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
In other news, I out Ke$ha'd Kail. I deserve some sort of award/beating for this accomplishment.

Kail

Smash Lord
**** you and your ****. You did a closing statement and I was all WTF NOOOOO....
Also, give me some icons next to my name. Chop chop mod slave... ;D

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Tech in our 1 match it happened I have had that fsmash situation happen 100 times and the was the first time I couldn't shield it
Have you seen my matches? It happens ALL the time LOL. I dont know why I get away with the bull**** I do but it makes me realize I should have mained DDD from the start ;)

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Come play in Ann Arbor, Shibby. We're the only thriving Melee community in the state and you really could make a case that we're the most active Melee city on a day-to-day basis in the entire Midwest right now. In fact, why don't you name a few summer weekends that are good for you and I'll try to throw together an event somewhere in there.

It's really cool that you guys still play down there. Keeping the game alive.

I'm really not all that good at melee anymore (I can still combo and have decent tech skill, but not being active in tournaments and living so far away takes its toll). Ann Arbor is still about 2 hours from midland. You Ann Arbor folks will not know the glory of travel, being couped up there in your college playing video games with each other!

Anyway, is there much of a Smash 64 community in Michigan now? Either Smash 64 or Virtual Console? I just got some nice mint condition (mmmm minty) official N64 controllers and the guys I play with up here usually like that better cause melee is a little too fast (it is cold up here, everyone moves slower.... So we play N64.... That's my reasoning.)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm really not all that good at melee anymore (I can still combo and have decent tech skill, but not being active in tournaments and living so far away takes its toll). Ann Arbor is still about 2 hours from midland. You Ann Arbor folks will not know the glory of travel, being couped up there in your college playing video games with each other!
Actually, Ann Arbor does travel, but it's a silly plan to have half a dozen people drive two hours to meet up with one guy.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I can usually put together a nice little smashfest in midland, in case you forgot, I'm most definitely not the only Midland smasher, Ankoku. I just feel... why not split the travel... A lot of you have never made the drive up here. Every time we want to play with you guys, we go there.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think most recently people have been agreeing to MSU, since it's the most central location between west MI and AA.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Ori it's been out since the beginning of March, and leaked a week before. Goodbye Lullaby.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure Gio and I are the only ones who care enough about 64 to travel for it. But if 64 is your game then we could definitely play <3

east lansing smash 64 ftw

i hear boxxy is super legit at mvc

lain

Smash Master
man, you know after watching that video i never realized how god damn hot i am.

and LMFAOOOOO @ when the announcer says the greatest warriors of all time and Gio turns around

and also @ "well... usually everyone is alright" *shot of rayquaza* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Top Bottom