• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

What's The Point

Smash Master
As Notra posted, brawlfest at my place in Plymouth tonight.

Notra, I texted Mann, Earth, and Ankoku, who are all AA/Ypsi. I'll call you if any reply to me and not you.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I like how you forget to include me in the MSU crew Rob, lol.

I definitely support this idea, and I'm willing to help get this started. I just hope I'll have enough time for this cause this should be my last year at MSU.

We can probably get Anthony in this too, if he's still here.
My bad, I keep associating you with WB instead of MSU. The best thing you can do right now is help the others find a venue, then after you find one, employ the same marketing tactics that you guys used around campus last March/April to score over 30 entrants (pretty amazing).

Anthony told me he quit competitive Smash but he'll probably still have his tourney in April.

I'll try to contact him and see how he got ahold of the venue for the last MSU tourney he held. Maybe he would be willing to send out emails to all the people who participated in the past so we can get some randoms.
Anthony went to mother****ing Pound 4, he must care about this game in some capacity. He did a great job with the MSU tourney last April and we will definitely need him again, so contact him asap! I have his cell # so PM me if you don't have it for some reason.

I agree with everything said. First tourny at MSU or U of M though? We are still looking around trying to find a venue. If one can't be found, the venue will likely be a house...or two. I move in the 28th, so I'll be talking to Travis and Tyler more and we can figure it out.
I was thinking of having a smashfest before then also.

I also feel the need to remind everyone that I am terrible at melee. Getting better takes time and effort. Actually, all comes back to exactly why Ohio is dying, it is hard to play melee while working full time and/or going to school. So I will be putting some effort to make sure these tourny's happen, because our scene can't die yet.
I don't think the order is important in terms of travel plans and all that, we both have drivers who can make the trip with ease. Just a matter of finding a venue. I need to find one as well. If the point is to promote the tourney and find randoms who will enter, it's gotta be on UM campus instead of just my house like this past summer.

First things first, we both have things to accomplish:
1) find potential venues, must be on campus
2) secure a venue for 9/25, 10/23, 11/13, 12/4
3) advertise around campus, mostly flyers everywhere
4) advertise in other ways, like a facebook event
5) advertise on smashboards, the easiest part
6) bug people about coming, mostly oldies who might not otherwise attend
7) hold a couple smashfests to get people settled in, create tourney hype
8) make sure no attendees drop out last minute (these hurt a lot)

Brawl TO's should get in contact in us so we can try to make both scenes better. If we can get good venues theres no reason not to hold both. I also picked up brawl recently and really enjoy it and would like to get better at it as well.

My community center is an option but we have to be out by 1030 including cleanup and ****. So Toadster is going to look into where the one in april was held. If not that, we can just keep looking somewhere else in the area.
See, here's where I disagree Travis. The Brawl community is way better off than the Melee community. Brawl gets 30+ entrants for tourneys without any effort, especially on campus. Do you want to accomodate both communities, sacrifice the Melee revival effort, and risk running over allotted venue time (you know it always happens with Brawl)? Or do you want to help grow a Melee community that was in shambles as of 2008, made a huge comeback, but now needs help to get back on track again? If any coordination is to happen with Brawl TOs, it should be securing a venue for an entire weekend and having Melee on Saturday, Brawl on Sunday. West Coast does this sometimes and it sounds like a great idea. But the focus should be on Melee, 100%, until you reach at least #5 on the list above.

Everyone has to help, including lazy scrubs like Mark (Moose) and James (Duck) at UM, and any unmotivated Smashers up in East Lansing if there are any. Mark the dates on your calendar, help promote the tourneys, get new people to Smashfests, and DON'T DROP OUT IF YOU SAY YOU'RE COMING TO A TOURNEY. There is nothing worse as a TO than organizing an event and finding out people are dropping for no good reason. If you don't put in your best effort to grow the Melee community over the next few months, then you have no right to complain about a lack of tourneys. Last thing... do not "try" to attend! I hire employees as a part of my job, and one of my worst pet peeves is when they "try" to get something done; it never does! From now on you're either attending, not attending, or still making arrangements to attend.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Unfortunately there is no evidence to suggest that a new Melee community could spawn out of Grand Rapids. I guess I've always seen West MI as a fighting ground for mercenaries like Bigy and Velynn. Would you guys like to prove me wrong? :)

Kail

Smash Lord
We actually have smashfests close to every other week. But since all of you never came out to play we pretty much just turned it into a phone tree.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I'd be fine with doing both days, but i believe that brawl players can get interested in melee, and vise versa. Michigan smash in general isn't doing well. There aren't alot of tourneys for either game. Brawlers generally have to go out of state anymore to have tourneys. While turnout for brawl is higher than melee, there's still a lack of tourneys for either game.

But whatever, I've allready agreed to run melee where it is in EL, so i don't really see the problem. If you can get a good venue theres no reason not to help MI Smash in general out.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Back in Japan, meaning back to ignoring this thread.

Thanks to everyone who came out! I'll try to rep DDD here better. Thanks to lain for teaching me stuff that helped me out a lot =)

See yaaaa.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, but I gotta skip out on the Smashfest. :( I've ran back and forth from school to work back to school for 12+ hours today, and I have an early class tomorrow, and by the time I'd get up there, we'd only have 2 hours left.

And hope you find a ride to Raleigh, Lain.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Would the mods mind giving the OP to someone who is more active? Like someone who could keep track of upcoming tournaments, Smashfests, and the like?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
We just need Tony to update it. I barely recognize any of the players that JV called "current" back in 2006. I'm also offended he didn't include my name!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
We just need Tony to update it. I barely recognize any of the players that JV called "current" back in 2006. I'm also offended he didn't include my name!
An updated OP of current active Brawl/Melee players would be really sweet.
No. You guys are dumb. JV's post deserves to remain unedited.

You know what happens when we try to run up-to-date listings of players?
They fade away.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Current Melee *****es:

Ann Arbor
SCOTU
Ankoku
Juggleguy
Lain
Hot ArmS

East Lansing
Shady
Tremor
Toadster
Junglefever
Easy
Toph
Severest

West Bloomfield
Moose
Duck
Dre
Gio
Junglefever
Kalamazhu
Kinglit
Shaeden (close enough)

Grand Rapids
Bigy
Kail
Velynn
Shade
Cake

Plymouth/Livonia
Botulismnator
Kerp
Jewbocker
SoiGreg

Troy
Brainjack
Ankoku

Metro Detroit
dablackpacman
Soul
Technical_Chase
King Malice

Midland/Bay City
Shibbypod
Acro
Xatic

Middle of Nowhere
Dope
Mikey Lenetia

Unknown (someone tell me where these guys live)
Kagu
Okiyama
ShadowMoon
Jimbo Slice
Blake

SCOTU

Smash Hero
iirc Bot/kerp/jeup were much farther east than Plymouth/Livonia, but Bot is in AA in the school year. Kalamazhu, kinglit are in west bloomfield, and Kagu is in AA in the school year.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah, during the school year the AA and EL sections turn into ****.

Ann Arbor school year:
SCOTU
Ankoku
Juggleguy
Botulismnator
Kagu
Okiyama
Moose
Duck
Brainjack
Gio
Hot ArmS

East Lansing school year:
Shady
Tremor
Toadster
Dre
Junglefever
Easy
Toph
Severest

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Current Melee *****es:

Ann Arbor
SCOTU
Ankoku
Juggleguy
Lain
Hot ArmS

East Lansing
Shady
Tremor
Toadster
Junglefever
Easy
Toph
Severest

West Bloomfield
Moose
Duck
Dre
Gio
Junglefever
Kalamazhu
Kinglit
Shaeden (close enough)

Grand Rapids
Bigy
Kail
Velynn
Shade
Cake

Plymouth/Livonia
Botulismnator
Kerp
Jewbocker
SoiGreg

Troy
Brainjack
Ankoku

Metro Detroit
dablackpacman
Soul
Technical_Chase
King Malice

Midland/Bay City
Shibbypod
Acro
Xatic

Middle of Nowhere
Dope
Mikey Lenetia

Unknown (someone tell me where these guys live)
Kagu
Okiyama
ShadowMoon
Jimbo Slice
Blake
Oh yeah baby I'm a Michigan Melee *****.

Also Lain call me back lol i guess your phone died or something.

Top Bottom