• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

JTsm

Smash Master
I realized that I'm not good enough to get in to MSU, and that's the only University in MI that has the program that I want to get in to (Interactive Media & Game Design), so I've been looking in to OoS universities.

:phone:
OoS is so expensive and getting a scholarship makes it bearable.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Well, I hung out at Ori's house, as well as Stewy's. I already know Dakota and Scott are not like that and they've made it clear to me, lol.

BTW, I consider wealthy someone owning/living with their parents that have a large house, large quantities of food, good furniture, basement (optional), and an excellent Internet connection. My family has always been low/middle class, so my mind is always blown when I see a place that is better than an apartment complex.

Real talk: When I turned 17, I moved to Columbus to start a new life. My family couldn't afford my sister nor I and we both knew, so we both went to college to help them out financially.

I mean tbh, ori's family does have a very nice house.

The WB area is also a really well to do area.

but like I've known middle class income families to have nice houses before, it really just depends on people's priorities when spending money.

My dad has one of the nicest houses in bay city, an fairly expensive car etc, and he is by no means wealthy.

JTsm

Smash Master
but like I've known middle class income families to have nice houses before, it really just depends on people's priorities when spending money.
So true. I've known friend's families where they would move into a neighborhood and then move out a month later realizing they're spending too much on the house.

It really depends on the situation family-wise sometimes.

Roller: I've bailed since I have family priorities and I think most of MI is flying I think. Not sure.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I mean tbh, ori's family does have a very nice house.

The WB area is also a really well to do area.

My dad has one of the nicest houses in bay city, an fairly expensive car etc, and he is by no means wealthy.
the WB area is VERY well off, thats where Moose and Duck are from. I'm in Sylvan Lake which is an above average area. there are a few well off families in the area but by no means is my family "wealthy" We've had to downsize because of my mom losing her job while I was in HS and other things. I don't feel like doing a sob story so I won't do details.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I realized that I'm not good enough to get in to MSU, and that's the only University in MI that has the program that I want to get in to (Interactive Media & Game Design), so I've been looking in to OoS universities.

This attitude will get you nowhere, dude. I assume you're in your Junior year of HS, which means you have plenty of time to get the grades up to where you want them to be (it's probably the most important year that colleges look at). You also shouldn't be limiting yourself to a path so narrow that only one college in the state offers it. 2/3rds of incoming college freshmen don't know what they want to do yet, and of the 1/3rd that claim they do, half end up changing their mind to something else.

Dig deep, man up, improve those grades, and apply for the best colleges starting with in-state options.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Michigan State does holistic college app reviews just like almost any other college. If you're weaker in certain areas, then be stronger in other areas. I don't know what your grades are like, but as long as they're passable, you can definitely still get in with a good ACT score, solid recommendations, relevant extracurricular experiences, and memorable application essays.

Even if you don't get in, I'd really recommend hitting up a community college for your first year and then transferring into Michigan State if they're the only ones to offer the program you want. All you'll be doing in your first year is taking care of your pre-requisites anyway; community colleges offer those same courses at a much lower cost. Get good grades during that first year and put some mad dedication into your transfer application.

the WB area is VERY well off, thats where Moose and Duck are from. I'm in Sylvan Lake which is an above average area. there are a few well off families in the area but by no means is my family "wealthy" We've had to downsize because of my mom losing her job while I was in HS and other things. I don't feel like doing a sob story so I won't do details.
Like I said, the only thing I know about your financial state of affairs is the area you live in, and the size of your house, neither of which is a legitimate indicator of a family's financial status

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Aaron, what exactly makes you think you can't get into Michigan State? Not to put you on the spot, but unless your entire time at HS has been a complete academic trainwreck, then you definitely have an opportunity to get in while you still have time the rest of Junior year. I'm here to help, dude.

(Don't even think about buying HarmS's college essays. Put in your own effort and creativity. I wrote about Batman Begins for one of my UM college essays, 100% dead serious.)

kd-

Smash Lord
apasher ill sell you my college app essays
What a ****ing grimer rofl wow..

Apasher, I wrote about competitive counter-strike for one essay. I wrote about how the individual skill aspect combined with teamwork necessary to compete and win made it much more than just a game, and was overall reflective of a person's dedication towards success.

MSU is definitely not out of your reach, not to you, not to anybody. I know people that got low ACT scores, got low grades in high school and didn't do anything for extra curricular activities and still got into MSU. Grades are important to universities, but what's actually more important to universities is that dedication to success. They want to see that you're passionate about self-improvement. Tell them your story: Where you've been, where you are, and where you aim to go. If you feel your ACT score/grades aren't up to par, take the time to study a little more and take school a little more seriously.

120% what Rob said: a good ACT score, solid recommendations, relevant extracurricular experiences, and memorable application essays will get you into MSU npnp, and a great backup plan for if you don't is going to community college and transferring into MSU. It's actually an extremely popular route; many people do it because it really does set you up well for a good college career. At the very least, a degree is still a degree.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord

Leave it to apasher to deduce he isn't good enough without even trying :]

Oh and btw msu is not very hard to get into. And wait wtf have you even taken the act? You're a junior right? Youre barely halfway done with high shool and deducing where you will and won't get into?

Msu has like a 70% acceptance rate. If you're a B student with a few Cs and do average on the act you'll get in.

Plus going out of state would be an awful idea. Tuition is 3x as much at least and you wouldn't get a scholarship. If you couldn't get accepted to msu there is no way you could get some kind of scholarship. You're just whining, you're probably overqualified for msu.

Oh and btw sylvan (where ori lives) is a wealthy area. Property taxes are disgustingly high there. But I wouldn't call ori rich. Some of his friends on the other hand.....

Moooose

Smash Champion
woah this topic is actually interesting
marco is right about everything

edit: you gotta believe in yourself apasher, if you don't believe in yourself now, you never will

also, smashers tend to have well off parents because...well...smash is a waste of time in pretty much every way possible lol

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Sorry, I've been asleep.

I've been trying my best this school year, and I still got a 3.175 GPA last trimester. My best isn't good enough.

I guess I'll save my thoughts till I take the ACT.

Also, I've been wanting to move out of my parents' house and live on my own ASAP. That's why I've been looking in to Universities and not Community Colleges.

Roller

Smash Legend
Apasher, if you can get your overall ~3.3 and do well on the SAT/ACT, you'll be perfectly fine. Even if it's lower than that, you still have a good shot as long as it's over 3.0.

kd-

Smash Lord
A 3.0 and writing your name on the ACT will get you into MSU. You're fine; keep going and don't give up.

Also remember when you start applying to colleges, apply early. They usually like early applicants a little more, although that could be just hogwash

Roller

Smash Legend
Apparently a lot of schools also keep records of those who take tours with them and make a note of it on your application; which helps because they assume only people who are sincerely interested will be taking tours with them. And they'd prefer to offer acceptances to those students over ones who haven't shown a particular interest in the school specifically.

That is, if Mama Roller is to be believed...

Roller

Smash Legend
Smash. Today. It's happening. I still haven't been practicing at all, and that's meh.

Also. I register for (what should hopefully be) my last semester in an hour. =o

I know people say it goes too fast, but like... People say that about everything. And highschool did not feel this fast to me. I still don't think it's fully sunk in that assuming everything goes well I'll be done in a few months...

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
If there is smash in AA let me know a time. WuvS and I will come because I haven't played Brawl since Lordy's.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I was too late hoppin' on the carpool. MI will have less eggs in their bracket this weekend. :awesome:

Good luck to all of ya. MI included.
Wuvs, make it out of pools for me. :yoshi2:
SoulPech, sleep your way through pools. Real taaalk. :jigglypuff:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Sorry, I've been asleep.

I've been trying my best this school year, and I still got a 3.175 GPA last trimester. My best isn't good enough.

Also, I've been wanting to move out of my parents' house and live on my own ASAP. That's why I've been looking in to Universities and not Community Colleges.

You can suck it up and stay at your parents' house for just ONE MORE YEAR like several thousand normal college students do and be on the right track to get into the program you want to study at MSU, preparing you appropriately for your career moving forward

or

You can move away from your parents' house out of some misguided sense of self-righteousness, throw away your best path to the program you want to study at MSU, and pay 3x the tuition at an OoS school to do something equivalent to going to a CC then transferring into MSU

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
Sorry, I've been asleep.

Holy **** this is it. This is the one. The single most idiotic post on smashboards. Finally!!!

Let us rejoice!!! That gpa is plenty good to get into msu. Idk where you get your facts from

If your parents aren't beating the **** out of you daily then get over yourself. What do you parents do? Not let you go to tournaments? Nag you? Not let you go to anime conventions? Anything short of abuse and you're being a baby

Too many people on these boards cry for attention too often.

Top Bottom