• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
The main reason is that most highschools don't allow gambling on school grounds... And generally to rent out a high school you needva club, if you have a video gaming club already you may be able to use that, but you'll need a teacher to look over the tournament... Then add Weed+Alcohol to the equation and you've made yourself a great recipe for disastor
My school has a media and technology club, and we bring melee over to record videos, but i dont think that counts

also, does the prices/payout system for events even qualify as gambling?

alsoalso, i would make sure that its melee only so i wouldn't have to worry about Tech :troll:

:phone:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Apasher, The general rule for venues is: it
1) Needs to be large enough
2) Needs to be legally obtainable for such an event
3) Needs to have enough outlets / power
4) Needs to be available when your tournament is

Anything else goes.

Added pluses are things like adequate lighting, chairs, tables, nearby food, smoking/alcohol/drug use friendly (for some people, personally I'd prefer if it weren't lol), not in danger of being flooded by sewage...

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Apasher, The general rule for venues is: it
1) Needs to be large enough
2) Needs to be legally obtainable for such an event
3) Needs to have enough outlets / power
4) Needs to be available when your tournament is

Anything else goes.

Added pluses are things like adequate lighting, chairs, tables, nearby food, smoking/alcohol/drug use friendly (for some people, personally I'd prefer if it weren't lol), not in danger of being flooded by sewage...
It's really too bad I live so far off in nowhere land. As President of my college's Gamer's Club, all that is easy for me to do. Fact is, I have a Smash tournament on the 30th scheduled alongside a Reach tournament due to the fact both systems require different televisions for optimal playability. We have a huge space for the tournaments, we've already acquired the space for the club, we have outlets and powerstrips galore, and considering I set the time and place, it's always available when my events are.

Now if only I had such power in southeast MI. Forever alone.

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
Hey I haven't entered any local smash events in east side grand rapids, but I have started a brawl/melee league in west grand rapids called the UBFC (underground fight club). I also posted a thread on it. It's $5 admission every saturday night. I'd love to get some more smashers over here to play with. It can be pretty competitive since I've got a site set up with rankings and statistics for it all. If there's any westside smashers that would be interesting in checking us out just let me know. Also, if someone could tell me some east side tournaments and places I should know about? I may go down there some time and check things out.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yoooooo I'm TC, and I'm the Head of the Brawl Scene in Michigan and the main Tournament Organizer for the Southeast region of MI. I always have my hands tied with something tournament related here. Watchu wanna know baby? ;)

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
Everything really. Like how often are there tournaments there and if you could just name the locations of them so I could get an idea on how far away they are. Also, are they mainly just melee tournaments or are there brawl tournaments as well?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
A lot of the tournaments are both Melee and Brawl, and they happen every 1-3 weeks, most often in Ann Arbor, sometimes in West Bloomfield, East Lansing (i don't think brawl happens in EL)

fishnax

Smash Apprentice
Oh man that's too bad. It seems like most of the smash activity is in the east side. I'm trying to get things going in the west side but it's kinda tough. My friend is lucky though he's currently living in Ann arbor

Roller

Smash Legend
DRDN. Just come to AA on any given night for either game. Just got back from a smashfest with both. That's like the 5th one I've been to this semester. I've been back for just over a week..

Roller

Smash Legend
We play on sundays here too. I do wish you luck with getting people there to play with, but most people in EL, AA, and WB have at least one other person to play with semi regularly. So it's hard to expect them to travel for a small smashfest when they could be driving 3 of the 4 people attending the fest. If you are able to travel, logistically it makes more sense to have one/two people travel, rather than four-five.

ZTD | TECHnology

Everything really. Like how often are there tournaments there and if you could just name the locations of them so I could get an idea on how far away they are. Also, are they mainly just melee tournaments or are there brawl tournaments as well?
Unfortunately for you 98% of the activity is Metro Detroit. The little scene that West MI is pretty much dead or dropped off the radar from us. I have heard about SOME activity up North but those are independent from our "official" scene here. i'm speaking about Brawl. Actually Melee is almost the same thing.

4/5 tournaments are held in Ann Arbor off the University of Michigan campus. There have been a few in other surrounding areas of Metro Detroit. So essentially, if you want to get a real taste of the MI scene you've got to drive a few hours. The Alpena duo (both are Power Ranked) drive 4 hours to get here. If you ever do decide to come out, someone will house you for a weekend. We always help out travelers.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
So since Gifts car is now full for SiiS6, MI is going to need another car if everyone who wants to go can go.

These are the people looking for rides
- Roller
- Thugz
- Myself
- DRDN

we should try and get this car planned out if we wanna get a good showing for the tourney. Also if you want to go and weren't listed above please post and I'll add u

Also WTP I will pay for your entry to one of the events if that gives yiu more incentive to go

fZk

Smash Lord
Jungle I'd be down to play today. I think something was happening at Marco's apartment today.

Do you still live in Spartan Vlg?

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
jungle lives in chandler now as well. I wont be home until 10 turns out so i dont think a smashfest is going down tonight. Jon and I would still be down for some casual melee jungle. Just for a couple hours or so.

ori omg get your license already! you have a car lol. Then no need to worry about rides anymore.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
ori omg get your license already! you have a car lol. Then no need to worry about rides anymore.
Story of my life >_>; I know for a fact I wont have it for SiiS. But for APEX is likely. But my car is bad for going OoS lol 4 seats, hard as hell to get into the back and gets <20 hmpg

ZTD | TECHnology

So I started working in a new Subway today. There was another new guy with me.

His name was Gannon. And he had thick *** sideburns just like Ganondorf.

I fell over.

Top Bottom