• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the best stage is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda

Smash Rookie
final destination.

guys, needless to say, final destination is the only stage you can show your real talents. the only bug with it is that ganondorf, jigglypuff and fox-wolf-falco are too powerful there with the special attack. this is it, tell me your favorite stages and tell me why you agree/disagree with me. peace ^^

TP

Smash Master
guys, needless to say, final destination is the only stage you can show your real talents.
Yeah, when I'm playing on Battlefield, I feel like the game is a complete toss-up regardless of skill.

NNID
Budget_Player
final destination.

guys, needless to say, final destination is the only stage you can show your real talents. the only bug with it is that ganondorf, jigglypuff and fox-wolf-falco are too powerful there with the special attack. this is it, tell me your favorite stages and tell me why you agree/disagree with me. peace ^^
No, no it's not. You can show your real talents on almost every stage, short of hardcore stages such as Temple and Warioware where the level of skill required to fight is reduced to virtually 0.

The fact is, Final Destination is the only stage where you can show your talents of non-stage related ability without being "interrupted" by the stage. However, it is one out of 41 stages with no special treatment in-game... If anything, it mitigates player skill by removing skills such as dealing with platform pressure, dealing with stage movement, dealing with hazards, etc.

This needed to be said not for you, but for the players who know what they are doing and still think that. I don't mean to insult you, but if you can't deal with Ganon's sideB or Jiggs' rollout, then you're either using a very weak character, or you are a very bad player. They are both easily punished.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the community.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wrong, Hanenbow is the most balanced stage.

Noone can projectile camp, perfect balance of ground and air games, and awesome music.

Oh and n0 gae lejhauging.

/thread

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wait, so now people think I'm ADHD? First BPC, now ADHD.

Wonder who I'm going to be accused of being next.

darkfox15

Smash Cadet
I think Final Destination is the best for me ´cause is a perfect stage to play 1 vs 1 with a real challenger and good player. But also I like Battlefield and Smashville...

Life

Smash Hero
I'm partial to Norfair. Combos against lava walls are fun, if you can land them.
which means you aren't me

/flees

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
lol at the trolls here... this thread will probably be closed soon, but whatever!

Smashville for me, though I personally really like Pokemon Stadium 2 as well...

NNID
Budget_Player
I think Final Destination is the best for me ´cause is a perfect stage to play 1 vs 1 with a real challenger and good player. But also I like Battlefield and Smashville...
Then you are bad at dealing with stages.

And no, no it's not. You can show your real talents on almost every stage, short of hardcore stages such as Temple and Warioware where the level of skill required to fight is reduced to virtually 0.

The fact is, Final Destination is the only stage where you can show your talents of non-stage related ability without being "interrupted" by the stage. However, it is one out of 41 stages with no special treatment in-game... If anything, it mitigates player skill by removing skills such as dealing with platform pressure, dealing with stage movement, dealing with hazards, etc. It is not the norm. It is an exception (just like Warioware is for having minigames, or Frigate for having the stage flip or Mario Kingdom for being an almost direct 1-1 remake of an existing stage in a side-scroller or Battlefield for having slightly different stage boundaries to any other stage, or Smashville for having exactly its layout, or basically any stage ever for being different from any other stage). Just like every other stage in the game.

This needed to be said not for you, but for the players who know what they are doing and still think that. I don't mean to insult you, but if you can't deal with simple stage hazards you are a very bad player. They are almost all easily avoidable with correct skill.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I think hyrule temple is the best stage in the game.

Circle stalling is easily the most satisfying way of pissing your friends off.

BSP

Smash Legend
There is no best stage in this game. Someone is always going to find a problem with it no matter what.

I guess BF gets the closest.

NNID
Budget_Player
Guys. GUYS. Everyone saying that there is one "best" stage... What are your criteria? All stages are put on equal footing by the game itself, so what criteria can we choose to make a stage the "best"? The most fair? On which criteria of bonus, average or median?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Guys. GUYS. Everyone saying that there is one "best" stage... What are your criteria? All stages are put on equal footing by the game itself, so what criteria can we choose to make a stage the "best"? The most fair? On which criteria of bonus, average or median?
The one that is most fair in a tournament environment. Fair meaning that it is the stage with the least gameplay-centralizing and skill-marginalizing.

NNID
Budget_Player
The one that is most fair in a tournament environment. Fair meaning that it is the stage with the least gameplay-centralizing and skill-marginalizing.
Again, by which criteria? Do we want a stage where the most matchups become true to their realistic ratio as shown by either the median/mean from all stages, or a stage where the most matchups become 50/50? If the former, You have to factor in that in every matchup, the faster character's average gets propped up by about 12 stages (circle camping stages)... This is in fact very hard to do. If the latter, it's almost impossible to find due to polarizing matchups; what depolarizes some matchups (Norfair for Ganon vs. Sheik/ICs, to an extent, also for DDD vs. DK) heavily polarizes others (Norfair for MK vs. ICs). So it's not really possible.

The fact is, the "best" stage changes from matchup to matchup. The best stage for the ganon-ics matchup is almost certainly Norfair, but for many other matchups, it's broken. The best stage for the MK-Diddy matchup is FD, but it's certainly not for the Diddy-G&W matchup. See where I'm going with this? And whenever you find a stage you think works for all matchups, you realizes that it marginalizes several other matchups.
PS2 is a very strong candidate for this, though.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Again, by which criteria? Do we want a stage where the most matchups become true to their realistic ratio as shown by either the median/mean from all stages, or a stage where the most matchups become 50/50? If the former, You have to factor in that in every matchup, the faster character's average gets propped up by about 12 stages (circle camping stages)... This is in fact very hard to do. If the latter, it's almost impossible to find due to polarizing matchups; what depolarizes some matchups (Norfair for Ganon vs. Sheik/ICs, to an extent, also for DDD vs. DK) heavily polarizes others (Norfair for MK vs. ICs). So it's not really possible.

The fact is, the "best" stage changes from matchup to matchup. The best stage for the ganon-ics matchup is almost certainly Norfair, but for many other matchups, it's broken. The best stage for the MK-Diddy matchup is FD, but it's certainly not for the Diddy-G&W matchup. See where I'm going with this? And whenever you find a stage you think works for all matchups, you realizes that it marginalizes several other matchups.
PS2 is a very strong candidate for this, though.
I'd actually have to agree with you on it being PS2.
I was inclined to make it a Starter in the SA ruleset until Jamage pointed out how having a complicated stage to learn as a Starter would scare away potential new players, no matter how fair the stage is.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't know if this was intentional or not, but this topic doesn't really do much but stir up old arguments. If you are being serious about wanting to discuss how much you just enjoy Final Destination, there's another thread high up that discusses how fun random stages are (potentially including this one). Please do make use of the already existing thread for this kind of topic. If you want to discuss how fair stages are, you might refer to the stickied legality threads. If you want to discuss the stage more mechanically in terms of strategies or dynamics and how they actually play out, feel free to make a new thread about it. I'm just going to close this thread as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom