• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Smashers use the Classic Controller

SS Android

Smash Rookie
I was at a Brawl tourney yesterday and while the host was asking me what controller I wanted to use (I said gamecube) he told me that he was reading and found out that the top smashers in the world use the classic controller as their controller of choice. I speculated this to be true b/c maybe they like the Z2 button or maybe they like the button layout better.

Is there any truth to this statement?

SS Android

Smash Rookie
Just how is this pointless brent? Maybe to you it is pointless b/c maybe you and most people already know the answer to this question, but I had an honest question and wanted to know an answer.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
I have a classic controller and to be honest I'd rather have a game cube controller but anyway I guess top smashers have an eisier time using strong attacks which in turn can creat more combos. Thats my only guess, I would use the classic controller but it's so dam small... >.>

Gelsamel

Smash Cadet
I know I asked this in another thread, but it fits here as well - and I didn't get an answer (yet).

I am curious as to how worse the Classic control is compared to the GCN control. I have to get a new GCN/Classic and classic are cheaper and easier to get. It seems the direction stick move would be annoying, and I can just set the R button to grab to emulate the Z button on the GCN controller.

Is it really that bad?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol wow classic controller.
GC for life! xO

SS Android

Smash Rookie
I know I asked this in another thread, but it fits here as well - and I didn't get an answer (yet).

I am curious as to how worse the Classic control is compared to the GCN control. I have to get a new GCN/Classic and classic are cheaper and easier to get. It seems the direction stick move would be annoying, and I can just set the R button to grab to emulate the Z button on the GCN controller.

Is it really that bad?
From what I've experienced it is really not THAT bad, it is average, for me, about on par with the wiimote + nunchuck setup, but a little better. Most people prefer GC b/c it feels right, they are used to it, and like the button placement more. CC is good, but I would recommend GC if you can.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
The classic controller is basically the same but it isn't fat, it is wireless, and it has better button placement. People use the Gamecube controller because they don't want to break old habits. I use classic controller with 5 dollar grip:chuckle:

Gelsamel

Smash Cadet
Only slightly better than Mote+Nunchuck? I hated that setup really bad...

Also another + for getting GCN>Classic = not using batteries. They're expensive (batteries that is) and who cares about wired controllers...

SS Android

Smash Rookie
I don't know, i think SS Andriod just wanted to get his post count up.
I will try and make this my last post on this thread to keep people like you form complaining that I just want to get my post count up but... 1st of all, may I refer you to my earlier reply to your message? "Just how is this pointless brent? Maybe to you it is pointless b/c maybe you and most people already know the answer to this question, but I had an honest question and wanted to know an answer."
As I just said, I heard this and wanted to know if there was any truth to the statement because I had no way of knowing. 2nd of all, If I really wanted to get my post count up, I would do what I do on other forums if I need a certain amount of posts for something - go from thread to thread making some dump reply over and over. Also, I really don't care about post count because if I did I would have started posting 3 months ago when I joined. So I'm not trying to make any enemies, but it really is unnecessary for you to say my question is stupid.

End.

SS Android

Smash Rookie
Only slightly better than Mote+Nunchuck? I hated that setup really bad...

Also another + for getting GCN>Classic = not using batteries. They're expensive (batteries that is) and who cares about wired controllers...
Well actually I guess it is quite a bit better, but not as good as GC IMO. I've heard that getting the grip for the CC makes it a lot more comfortable, but I have yet to try it. It all comes down to personal preference of what feels better and which one's button placement you prefer. I agree, batteries are a pain, and I really do not mind wired controllers unlike most people - in fact, the wavebird and wired gc are tied in my book.

Scala

Smash Ace
I've heard of the few players that use the classic controller. The thing is most players here have been playing since melee and it's not worth learning new muscle memory for a different controller. You might have good luck with the classic controller though.

IN THE END IT'S ALL ABOUT WHAT'S COMFORTABLE FOR YOU /thread

samdaballer

Smash Ace
if you've ever been to a legit tournament you'll see most players using a GCN controller, but it all just depends on you.

ROFL and Scala's sig, brings back memories from megaman 8

Reno-Vgas

Smash Cadet
I was at a Brawl tourney yesterday and while the host was asking me what controller I wanted to use (I said gamecube) he told me that he was reading and found out that the top smashers in the world use the classic controller as their controller of choice. I speculated this to be true b/c maybe they like the Z2 button or maybe they like the button layout better.

Is there any truth to this statement?
yeah dude, I dont remember the name of that clerk, but that is not even close to a fact

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Most players use the gamecube controller because they started with Melee. However, I know of a few very good players who use the classic controller and the wiimote/nunchuck setups. Haven't met any good players yet who use wiimote only though. Just use what you want.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Its like Jam Stunna's thread. Dont go with what other's are using, go with what you are comfortable with :)

But yeah, most players use GCN controllers.

Edds

Smash Ace
well classic controller comes 2nd best out of all 4.

gamecube controller is the best controller anyway. even without brawl or smash

Crow!

Smash Lord
Any controller other than wiimote held sideways has potential; button placements are sufficient to be used in any of the others. The only differences are the following:

Wiimote & Nunchuck: only one true joystick; B-sticking is not possible, and shake smash becomes unreliable when batteries are low. Also, default button configuration is crap and doesn't give ready access to all required actions; I suggest using left/right and down on the directional pad for two buttons, and A as a third button accessible to the wiimote thumb.

GC Controller: Ergonomic shape prevents the onset of hand cramping longer in comparison to the other options. The unused throttling feature of the shoulder buttons means they take a bit longer to click/unclick than a real button.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
The issue I felt most when I started playing with the Classic controller is that I use the X button on GC to jump so the buttons I use (b a x) are in a straight line, but there are no three buttons in a straight line on the classic controller (the b a x and y buttons are in a square). That's actually my one biggest beef about it, which is surprising since I'm usually a whiny little b*tch about controllers lol.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I honestly believe, like Crow! said, that every contrller has potential except for Wiimote only. For top smashers, again like someone before me mentioned, often don't want to have to retrain their muscle memory, others simply honestly believe the GC controller is the best.

I personally am a Wiimote + Nunchuck user, and I play with that better than I ever did with the GC controller, because I had my mind set on learning to use the Wiichuck set-up.
One advantage of the Wiichuck that may be negligible to most people, but would come in handy in top level play, is the ability to play without having to move any fingers from their locations. It would present differences in only fractions of a second, but in competitive play that could hold an advantage.

The default configuratin is pretty horrible though. My recomendation would be to change the Dpad into smash attacks, using C for jumps. I personally have Up, Left/Right on the Dpad for smashes and Down on the Dpad for jump, because it lets me short hop easily. I don't use Dsmash much so I'll usually just use Shake smash for it.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I will say though, if you ever are stuck with just a Wiimote, grab a Wii Wheel if at all possible. it gives the B button an actual working position, and your hands won't be as cramped together while all the buttons are still in reach, minus maybe + and - if you have tiny hands.
Wavebird FTW though :)

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
First used the nunchuk + wiimote combo...actually wasnt that bad....but I went back to the GC controller because Melee habits were still in me...I dont think i've seen anyone used the classic controller...then again 90% of the people i know use the GC con.

The people at that tourney just prefers something different, I guess... Everyone has a different opinion...

Frozt

Smash Apprentice
I personally use the classic controller but I change the b-button to attack, the y-button to be special attack and the a-button to jump, it kinda feels like using an n64 controller which I am used most becuase I play Smash 64 a lot.

Classic is not really that bad, I wonder why nobody uses it.

paul1290

Smash Rookie
I've used both controllers and I prefer the classic over the GC controller despite having played Melee and the original SSB a lot.

I actually find it easier to use the sticks on the classic controller since you don't have to smash the sticks to do smash attacks, dashing, and jumping. With the classic controller simply moving the stick quickly in a direction will do smash attacks, dashing, and jumping while doing tilts and walking only requires a very slight push in that direction. Also the shield buttons have a smaller distance to travel.

So yes, you CAN eliminate some human lag from your game by using the classic controller, but the difference is so absurdly small that the kind of clothing you wear to a tournament would probably affect your game more than the any advantage you would have gained from using a classic controller. Also it's not exactly the most comfortable thing to use if you are already used to controllers that "fill your hands".

If you're already using a GC controller then it's probably best to keep on using it.

However, for those of you using classic controllers you really aren't at a disadvantage at all so don't stop using it just because most others are using GC controllers.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
I ALWAYS numb my hands in ice before playing Brawl so I dunno, the Classic feels better for me.

Top Bottom