• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the best secondary for DK?

crifer

Smash Lord
i really really love DK but there are some matchups that are just too hard,
so i sometimes try to play with different characters, but idk who to second....
in the last few weeks i enjoyed to play fox, because of his approach options....
i also like link and falco... but link and fox are somehow not the best choice as a second for a DK Main or?
discuss.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Out of who you said, I'd go Falco.

I secondary Pit, and third Ganon. I'd say MK since he can own anybody who gives DK any trouble.

crifer

Smash Lord
yeah i thought something like this tujex...
but falco sometimes has trouble with killing...
and i dont like/want to play mk....

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Out of who you said, I'd go Falco.

I secondary Pit, and third Ganon. I'd say MK since he can own anybody who gives DK any trouble.
Meta dosent own the people who give DK trouble. Meta owns everyone. :chuckle:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I think DK has trouble against Marth, Lucario and Dedede.

Diddy would be good against Dedede... and probably not too bad for the others either.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
DK has trouble against Falco.

i1337

Smash Ace
fox or falco would be some of the best...and falco doesnt really have too bad of a problem with killing

samus is good, but dk and samus both get infinited by dedede :urg:

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Which is why you second Game & Watch!!! :evil:

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Game & Watch imo counters everything DK has problems with, especially Falcos camping *** lasers. Cannot be chain grabbed by DDD, and is just a good character overall.

i1337

Smash Ace
Game & Watch imo counters everything DK has problems with, especially Falcos camping *** lasers. Cannot be chain grabbed by DDD, and is just a good character overall.
yes...

btw, a lot of people on the samus boards alt dk lol, and they say shes a good secondary :bigthumbu

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
My squad is
DK=Main
DK=Secondary
Ice Climbers=If i feel like being cheap and want to 3 stock someone.

Usually when I lose with DK, I go to iceys, and ownt.

Enough about me, G&W is a great secondary. I also think D3 is good. Im testing peach to see if she beats some of the bad match ups for DK

i1337

Smash Ace
My squad is
DK=Main
DK=Secondary
Ice Climbers=If i feel like being cheap and want to 3 stock someone.

Usually when I lose with DK, I go to iceys, and ownt.

Enough about me, G&W is a great secondary. I also think D3 is good. Im testing peach to see if she beats some of the bad match ups for DK
nah dont use dedede...if you play another one it will be pretty much all grabs and thats no fun:lick:

but whats your opinion on samus? and yes i know that dedede has an infinite on both of them lol. :mad:

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
Samus seems good now that i think about. The main problems with my DK are Marf, MK, G&W. 2 out of the 3 Samus can win. Projectile spam Marf and MK. It seems good. Of course a good stage pick will help. I'm a fan of lower tier characters to be used as counters. I hate solving my problems with G&W or MK or D3 or even Falco. I would do more testing if I were you but not a bad idea.

i1337

Smash Ace
Samus seems good now that i think about. The main problems with my DK are Marf, MK, G&W. 2 out of the 3 Samus can win. Projectile spam Marf and MK. It seems good. Of course a good stage pick will help. I'm a fan of lower tier characters to be used as counters. I hate solving my problems with G&W or MK or D3 or even Falco. I would do more testing if I were you but not a bad idea.
yeah i will, im actually alting samus now :)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
go toon link, its the complete opposite. its good to know your extremes

i1337

Smash Ace
well...toon link cant rly be as campy as samus can with missiles, charge beam (charge shot? lol), and zair :bigthumbu

also what "weaknesses" of dks does toon link make up for? just asking lol.

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
I did =(
But on topic. Find your worst match-ups, and base your secondary off of that. Everyone has trouble with different characters. Like some people dont see Diddy as a problem but others cant get around that wall. So do some testing with other characters and see which one fits you.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
well...toon link cant rly be as campy as samus can with missiles, charge beam (charge shot? lol), and zair :bigthumbu

also what "weaknesses" of dks does toon link make up for? just asking lol.
does DK have a projectile? that's what I thought.

I'll post some of my toon link later

The Director

Smash Lord
DK has trouble with Lucario, DeDeDe and Snake in particular. He doesn't really have that many foils...he gets eaten by anybody who chaingrabs, really. The only real secondary character choice for DK is somebody that can chaingrab. All of the characters that give DK trouble get ruined by the chaingrab. (but doesn't everybody?)

I only play DK in tournies. I've only played one match in a tourney with a character other than DK...and I lost.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I dont think Samus is a good counter, partially because Samus imo is not that good. I use her, not competitively however. I personally feel like getting better with Gnw, due to him already being good, although hes not like other characters that have a win button.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Since D3 is the only unwinnable matchup (provided the D3 is worth his salt), it's not exactly as if DK can't really go almost all tourney as DK, so long as he avoids D3s, and counterpicks them accordingly. I believe the characters who **** DK the hardest are Meta Knight, Falco, Ice Climbers, and Olimar...

Or you could just pull a reverse SK92 out and secondary Falco. :D

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
I second olimar,ICs, lucario, and samus. But thats just me, i usually plick the characters i like over the characters that people usually use. I think oli is a good way to go. Its a different playstyle for me. ICs own everyone, **** meta***. Lucarios has good range, i play him like i play dk sumtimes.

And samus.....well...i use samus for fun, but shes sux bad

Tujex

Smash Ace
Oli is really good. Most of his attacks have disjointed hitboxes and hit through or protect you from just about anything. His aerial combo abilities are wicked, but his recovery can be gimp'd easily. He also requires a somewhat steep learning curve to master since he had five different Pikmin which all have unique damage percentages, knockback, knockback angles, etc, etc.

And yeah, I believe DK is 50/50 against Snake and MK. Or something similar. MOst of those fights can go either way from what I remember.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
GaW is the best second for DK. He wins vs Falco, does well vs Dedede and the Iceys

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
go toon link, its the complete opposite. its good to know your extremes
i was going to suggest the same, toon link is a great character to compliment DK
diddy is also pretty good, he makes up for DK's lack of speed and he has at least some[/] projectiles
the peanuts are underrated, they're pretty good at gimping falcos horizontal recovery and you can play some mindgames with them, people will still shield a peanut coming at them, even if it only does 4% damage
and the nanners....

>:D

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
dks problem matches are dedede and IC's olimars your best second cause of his matchups with those 2.

and ussi, dk is at an advantage against tornado mk, he's even cause mk can get smart and upb instead.

dk's moves that beat the tornado
ftilt
utilt (from the back)
grounded upb
down b
neutral b
fsmash
usmash
dair

tornados not that good against dk, too punishable, its just a noob eater

Top Bottom