• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best Double Battle Combo ever: Double Discussion

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
That's pretty cool, actually. Alakazam learns both of those moves. It's fast, and can probably do the job, but unfortunately, it's frail as ****.

This really didn't need it's own thread though.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Besides the fact that it's situational and for doubles (lol doubles), this doesn't really warrant it's own thread.
For posts like these you could've posted it in the Snorlax Room, which is our Social Thread.

But for the record it's still a nifty trick.

-Terywj

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It's also fun to Encore something using Metronome. It glitches so that they only use struggle.

Also, if one of the pokemon is Wobbuffet, you can't switch.

Entry hazards **** the "just switch out" strategy also.

ss118

Smash Master
you're right. again, strategy is generally too situational. It would be better having one person using disable and one using encore.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Why use Protect+Explosion when you can just use Explosion+Ghost type?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Is the lack of Shody the only reason that there's the whole "lol double" thing about doubles? I quite like doubles :c

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Is the lack of Shody the only reason that there's the whole "lol double" thing about doubles? I quite like doubles :c
Yeah.

But on the bright side, only about -7 months 'til Shoddy 2.

Oh, whoops

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Why use Protect+Explosion when you can just use Explosion+Ghost type?
because ghosts can't do everything, so you'll need at least some backups to it

you can always switch to a ghost if you need to, but protect is in general safer and it can always be used

and mic:
Without a way to develop the doubles metagame the way shoddy accelerates the singles metagame the doubles metagame is basically pure theory and is incredibly under-developed.

And this discussion shouldn't go to the social thread mainly because the doubles game is pretty legit as a game mechanic, not just a social thread thing, maybe a new title, but discussing the doubles metagame probably shoudl have its own thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
because ghosts can't do everything, so you'll need at least some backups to it

you can always switch to a ghost if you need to, but protect is in general safer and it can always be used
That was a rhetorical question.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I wonder how shoddy battle 2 doubles will play out.

That will be really interesting WHEN IT FINALLY DOES HAPPEN LOL

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Between Rotom, Gengar, Dusknoir, Drifblim, and Spritomb, they really can.

Just pick one that suits your needs the best.
there are so many resists that ghosts do not have

not to mention a lack of attacks like EQ or stone edge or even an attack stat behind a good speed stat..

anyway, can't wait for shoddy2 to come out, but i do hope the old plan of having possible 6v6 matches still exists. Honestly, 6v6 would be sick but of course it wouldn't be laddered

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
yeah, base 65 attack, real good, it can't even guarantee a OHKO on Blissey (Calm: 24/ 252 Def/ 232 SpD) with explosion without 204 EVs in attack (assuming you aren't using a +atk nature)

ghosts have bad attack stats

at first i thought you were joking about ghosts doing everything....

Normal, Fighting, Poison, Bug

Keep in mind Ghost-types aren't exactly the most defensively oriented types out there.

-Terywj
kinda my point, which is why using a swampert with protect may work out better than something like a ghost

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I thought you were talking about attacking in general.

._.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

good ol' missreads

i really wonder what a doubles team would look like with 6 pokemon. 3v3 doubles i can understand somewhat

but in a metagame dominated by protect (not just for explosion, but to scout what the other team is trying as well) maybe im just remembering an outdated doubles theorymoning on smogon (but then again, without a real metagame i guess it isn't "outdated," just really old). They had quite a few reasons why protect would be practically everywhere. Anyway, i wonder what the role of hail would be (and then the rain dance teams that are there JUST to stop SS/Hail teams by putting up a limited amount of time weather).

Also, what would the role of singularly offensive pokemon be (as in, our traditional sweepers in 1v1 that also only attack a single unit with most of their attacks):
Infernape
Salamence
Gengar
Flygon
and plenty more

Also, in order to guarantee SRs do you need to have 2 leads with SRs?
I bet a toxicroak using fake out while starmie uses surf could kill a lot of guys

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dusknoir has base 100 Atk
just saying

you would only need 1 lead with SR but have 2 leads that can learn SR would be fun

for example having both an Azelf and a Swampert out, which pokemon do they taunt?

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
dusknoir has base 100 Atk
just saying

you would only need 1 lead with SR but have 2 leads that can learn SR would be fun

for example having both an Azelf and a Swampert out, which pokemon do they taunt?
sadly dusknoir is slow :(

But that's kinda the problem isn't it? Needing 2 SR leads (or even the usefulness of SR in doubles?) just makes it easier for the opponent to possibly set up on you if they can tell you're gonna double SR.

On that note, I'm guessing a double hazard strategy would be good like roserade/swampert

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Dusknoir gets by alright with STAB Shadow Sneak.

Yes...? No...?
I honestly don't know. But I saw the post and happen to have a defensively oriented Dusknoir with Shadow Sneak...

-Terywj

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
What about Blastoise or Swampert with Rain Dance, Protect and Hydro Cannon, Electrode with Choice Scarf and Explosion, and Magnezone with Thunder. And something else.

Top Bottom