• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There is one more spark of hope, however much of a stretch it might be.

Crash's actual anniversary date is September 9, the release date of the first game in 1996. Maybe Crash could be revealed around that time (not on the date itself, just around it) in a hypothetical fall DIrect?
Like I've said before, trying to guess the next fighter through stuff like anniversary dates or supposed days of importance has proven relatively futile with Smash Ultimate.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
After thinking about it, I'm of the mindeset that while I still think Crash Bandicoot has a shot, Despite taking it better than I thought I would, My confidence in him took a major blow and was kind of a wake up call that had me say and thinking to myself "Damn, Microsoft might actually really be the only major 3rd party western company collaborating in Smash".

And while I'll be here until the final reveal and while it's possible that we end with a 1st party or weaker 3rd party character, I'm actually starting to think that Master Chief might actually be the final character.

It just really lines up with everything regarding Nintendo, Microsoft and Halo.

- Nintendo and Microsoft's strong partnership.

- Microsoft already having representation in Smash without the face/mascot of their Xbox brand.

- 20th anniversary of Microsoft's Xbox and Halo brands.

- A lot of smoke regarding Nintendo and Microsoft possibly collaborating further regarding Xcloud/Gamepass or perhaps "Other" projects.

- Halo Infinite comes out this Holiday season.

- While Smash historically ends on a whimper, Considering this is Ultimate it would not be surprising they save the biggest character for last for a Fall direct or and this is somewhat of a stretch at the VGA's.

Again all pure speculation, I would still rather have Crash Bandicoot, But I respect Halo/Master Chief and would "Probably" be my backup 3rd party character of choice if for some unfortunate reason Crash doesn't make the cut and unfortunately it kind of feels that way.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
After thinking about it, I'm of the mindeset that while I still think Crash Bandicoot has a shot, Despite taking it better than I thought I would, My confidence in him took a major blow and was kind of a wake up call that had me say and thinking to myself "Damn, Microsoft might actually really be the only major 3rd party western company collaborating in Smash".

And while I'll be here until the final reveal and while it's possible that we end with a 1st party or weaker 3rd party character, I'm actually starting to think that Master Chief might actually be the final character.

It just really lines up with everything regarding Nintendo, Microsoft and Halo.

- Nintendo and Microsoft's strong partnership.

- Microsoft already having representation in Smash without the face/mascot of their Xbox brand.

- 20th anniversary of Microsoft's Xbox and Halo brands.

- A lot of smoke regarding Nintendo and Microsoft possibly collaborating further regarding Xcloud/Gamepass or perhaps "Other" projects.

- Halo Infinite comes out this Holiday season.

- While Smash historically ends on a whimper, Considering this is Ultimate it would not be surprising they save the biggest character for last for a Fall direct or and this is somewhat of a stretch at the VGA's.

Again all pure speculation, I would much rather have Crash Bandicoot, But I respect Halo/Master Chief and would "Probably" be my backup 3rd party character of choice if for some unfortunate reason Crash doesn't make the cut and unfortunately it kind of feels that way.
What about this?

Faso115

Smash Lord
I wouldnt bank on anniversary, it only ever worked for Steve but i doubt it will be the same for Crash. Cant think of any first party that hasn't been already included via spirit events so i'm banking on third party too.

Crash 25th anniversary seems like a very good excuse to finally get him. I'm going down with this ship either way, gimme my banooka

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't hate Master Chief. I don't have much personal connection to Halo, but you can hardly deny its importance, and the FPS genre certainly deserves representation in Smash. And with the face of Xbox joining the faces of Nintendo and Sega in Smash, that'd just make it obvious the face of Playstation is the missing piece.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
What about this?

The Minecraft community manager didn't know about Steve getting in either. This doesn't mean all that much.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Gentlemen and ladies, we all know you save the best reveal for last.
You'd think so, especially with this being the final character of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but Smash Bros. rarely seems to follow that trend.

Wolf ending off Brawl after Sonic/Pit/Snake/Dedede/Diddy Kong (Brawl had some great newcomers), Ken and Incineroar ending off after Ridley/K. Rool/the Belmonts, Byleth ending off after Joker/Banjo-Kazooie... As much as I loved the fact that Bayonetta got into Smash, she was certainly no Cloud Strife. (I distinctly remember people saying things like "if Cloud was just the lead-up to this Smash presentation, then the last character's going to be even bigger!" only to be disappointed since there are only a tiny handful of characters who could live up to those expectations)

I'd love to be wrong, and someone like Crash or Master Chief or Geno or Doomguy gets announced in the fall, but considering how most if not all Smash reveal periods have ended, I have my doubts.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gentlemen and ladies, we all know you save the best reveal for last.
I’d love for Crash to be last but I don’t think it’s that likely. Better odds than Chief or Rayman or most other western picks that the community would hype over, but I feel we will get something smaller. My current bets are Nahobino, Officer Howard, and my curveball bet would be Amaterasu.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Like I said before, these two will really help me through this:
View attachment 319629
It definitely makes me appreciate Banjo-Kazooie a hell of a lot more now considering how Fighter Pass 1 & 2 "As a whole" turned out to be really disappointing for me personally as their the only characters I bought, But considering they were far and away my most wanted characters, I guess it "Kind of" evens out in the end.

If it wasn't for them I would have strucked out on every single character and likely have already completely lost it by now considering were 2 1/2 years in since launch.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You know, there's nothing wrong with unexpected characters, but they should not come at the expense of highly requested ones.
"Highly requested" tends to get confused with "spoken the most about online".

Let's be honest, Smashboards is not all there is to people interested in Smash, and there's plenty to suggest that in their own right, most of the newcomers have been highly requested.

Again, stuff like this is why I advise people not to go by what's supposedly "most popular", by the common eye piece.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman

Let's be honest, Smashboards is not all there is to people interested in Smash, and there's plenty to suggest that in their own right, most of the newcomers have been highly requested.

Again, stuff like this is why I advise people not to go by what's supposedly "most popular", by the common eye piece.
True, I look into popularity polls conducted by either Nintendo or Sakurai himself instead.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

While I get your point, crash is pretty highly discussed and requested everywhere. He is the most talked about western characters in Japan. He is talked about on basically every place Smash speculation happens, for better or for worse.

While it might not help for this game, Crash if discussed this much will still be one of the big names heading into smash 6. I personally am not confident for CP11, but I can hope he’s there.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
While I get your point, crash is pretty highly discussed and requested everywhere. He is the most talked about western characters in Japan. He is talked about on basically every place Smash speculation happens, for better or for worse.

While it might not help for this game, Crash if discussed this much will still be one of the big names heading into smash 6. I personally am not confident for CP11, but I can hope he’s there.
Either way, we shouldn't complain if he doesn't make it. Smash 6 is a fresh start for us all

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman

And he's been requested since Smash 64.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can you provide a source for 64? Melee/Brawl is understandable (also biased for me since I wanted him since Melee), but 64?

Not sure how reliable this poll is (it's from a reader response column, and the number of votes is relatively small), but Crash was listed as one of the non-Nintendo characters that people wanted to see even back then. Not counting Doraemon (who's an anime/manga character), Crash is the only one in that group (Chocobo, Bomberman, Crash, Sonic, and Mega Man) who hasn't gotten into Smash in some form.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
That Smash 2 poll is interesting as mostly all those characters got in, even the third party section:

• Chocobo: FF got 2 fighters, stage, music, mii costumes including one of chocobo
  • Doraemon: illegible as his is a manga/anime character
  • Bomberman: AT and mii costume
  • Crash: nothing so far
  • Sonic: full status (playable, stage, music, mii costume, etc)
  • Megaman : same as above.

Crash is truly the long time request that has 0 presence in ultimate.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I was listening to this after Kazuya's reveal...

Listening to it, it kinda reflects on Crash's current chances in terms of getting into Smash aside from the tune's original meaning and purpose.

And of course, those chances seem not so good.

Sad, isn't it?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I was listening to this after Kazuya's reveal...

Listening to it, it kinda reflects on Crash's current chances in terms of getting into Smash aside from the tune's original meaning and purpose.

And of course, those chances seem not so good.

Sad, isn't it?
If Crash gets the Deluxe Mii Costume treatment, I'll accept it.

Top Bottom